PDA

View Full Version : Vet Prescription Charges

neepnipper
15-Jan-09, 23:09
The vet in Wick charges £11.50 to write a prescription, just wondered if anyone knows what the average price is for this service.

I've had a quick look and the prices seem to range from £2.50 to £15.00, has anyone experience of getting a prescription from a vet, I guess they don't like doing it, but the medicine I need is £14.00 cheaper online and as my dog's going to need it for the rest of his life I've got to look at the cost side of it.

I'm not having a go at the vet, I guess they charge what they see fit to, just wondered what other peoples experiences are.

unicornleather
15-Jan-09, 23:43
Since oct 2005, they weren't allowed to charge for prescriptions, that has now been over turned and my girlfriend in Inverness was quoted £20 to write out a prescription last year.
Go to this page to read up on what they are and aren't allowed to do:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=page&id=10&chapter=0

Hope this helps?
Oz

binbob
16-Jan-09, 00:28
The vet in Wick charges £11.50 to write a prescription, just wondered if anyone knows what the average price is for this service.

I've had a quick look and the prices seem to range from £2.50 to £15.00, has anyone experience of getting a prescription from a vet, I guess they don't like doing it, but the medicine I need is £14.00 cheaper online and as my dog's going to need it for the rest of his life I've got to look at the cost side of it.

I'm not having a go at the vet, I guess they charge what they see fit to, just wondered what other peoples experiences are.

i am sorry to say that u are on a loser there..so sorry that ur dog is unwell.
i personally thinkl it is a nonsense that they are allowed to charge this fee.i have been down this road before [not in this county] and felt blackmailed by the vet in question.my dog needed heart pills..and could have been bought .as u say online ,much cheaper.having said that..i will always pay for whatever my dogs need,no matter the cost.
i hope ur doggy will be ok.
:(

crustyroll
16-Jan-09, 11:39
Neepnipper, have you thought of asking the vet if they will supply the medication to you at a reduced price?

As your pet is going to need it for life its worth their while to keep supplying the medicine to you rather than you go somewhere else. They can only say 'no' and you haven't lost anything by asking. I would make sure however you speak to one of the senior vets that's been there the longest. They must remember you are a 'customer' as well and as such need your business too.

neepnipper
16-Jan-09, 11:53
No, I'm getting the prescription, they did explain that they charge more for medicines because they offer 24 hour callout etc.

As I said, I wasn't having a go at the vet for what they charge (although £14.00 dearer than the internet is a lot of money!), if it was just a couple of pounds dearer I wouldn't have asked for a prescription, but even after paying the £11.50 charge it still works out cheaper to buy it on line.

crustyroll
16-Jan-09, 12:05
Maybe a way round it to save some money, would be to pay them for a prescription but have the prescription cover several months worth of supply. I know it means paying a little more upfront in one go but over the year it will be less if you see what I mean? I don't think there is a law that say's they can only prescribe one month at time etc, it will just be their way of doing things.

I'm not knocking the vet either, I've used them many times over the years and will probably use them a lot yet!

neepnipper
16-Jan-09, 12:36
That's what I've done, the prescription will be for enough medicine for about 5 months, then I'll take him in for a check up which is fine, originally it was enough for about 2 months but they agreed to up the quantity.
All worked out not too bad in the end!

binbob
16-Jan-09, 13:22
well,that is very good news...good luck.:mad:

crustyroll
16-Jan-09, 14:06
Oh right that's handy to know that they will do that as I'm facing the same situation now. One of my dogs is on medication and it looks like it will be for the rest of her life too. At the moment its not too expensive but times change and whilst I would not stop her meds I may have to find cheaper sources.