PDA

View Full Version : Think about Dragonfly and Brodie

skinnydog
15-Jan-09, 21:33
Just to let you all know that Dragonfly is off south with poor little Brodie, her gorgeous golden doodle puppy. He is very, very seriously ill so he is going to the best place, the Dick Vet in Edinburgh.

As you can imagine Dragonfly is beside herself with worry. He will have lots and lots more tests tomorrow and the vets in Thurso have been great.

Will try and update you all later tomorrow.:(

Ash
15-Jan-09, 21:37
what a worry
sending my love to them xxxx

cuddlepop
15-Jan-09, 21:40
Just to let you all know that Dragonfly is off south with poor little Brodie, her gorgeous golden doodle puppy. He is very, very seriously ill so he is going to the best place, the Dick Vet in Edinburgh.

As you can imagine Dragonfly is beside herself with worry. He will have lots and lots more tests tomorrow and the vets in Thurso have been great.

Will try and update you all later tomorrow.:(

What an earth has happened?

the poor wee thing must have got very sick quicky as we've heard nothing about it being unwell.
poor Draconfly must be worried sick especially as its so serious her puppy has to go to Edinburgh.

lots of healing light winging its way to Edinburgh.

ANNIE
15-Jan-09, 21:44
Thinkin o u dragonfly poor brodie :(

teenybash
15-Jan-09, 22:22
Lots of prayers and healing for Brodie............what a shock...

carasmam
15-Jan-09, 22:29
Oh my goodness what a shock to come on and read this. Thinking of you Dragonfly and Brodie, paws and fingers crossed for good news xx

binbob
16-Jan-09, 00:22
my goodness..this is awful.poor folk and puppy.really hope all goes well.please let us know.god bless brodie.

Anne x
16-Jan-09, 01:01
Oh my god love to them all poor Dragonfly Brodie is just stunning

cazmanian_minx
16-Jan-09, 09:12
Fingers crossed for Brodie's tests today.

brandy
16-Jan-09, 09:19
omg what happened?!
all my thoughts and prayers hun!!!
(((((HUGE HUGS)))))

highlander
16-Jan-09, 11:01
I am so sorry to read that brodie is seriously unwell, I love seeing all the lovely photos that Dragonfly puts on of him, he looks such a cheeky scamp, get well soon brodie we are all rooting for you m8.

skinnydog
16-Jan-09, 12:36
Quick update. Brodie was admitted in Edinburgh at 11.00 this morning. Dragonfly has to go back at 4.30 for an update. She says that he has more than likely been diagnosed with 1 condition but there is some light at the end of the tunnel so fingers crossed!!

unicorn
16-Jan-09, 12:39
They are wonderful at the royal dick vets so he is absolutely in the best possible place, good luck to all.

jings00
16-Jan-09, 13:53
hope things are sorted for you and brodie, dragonfly.....chin up ma duck...

crustyroll
16-Jan-09, 14:08
I hope they get Brodie sorted out soon and they all get home safe and well. Our pets are like the kids, we worry about them so much :eek:

Angela
16-Jan-09, 14:57
The Dick Vet is wonderful -Brodie is in absolutely the right place to get better.

Do hope to hear good news of his condition soon. :)

carasmam
16-Jan-09, 15:06
Thanks for the update Skinnydog, tell Dragonfly we are all wishing them well.

Margaret M.
16-Jan-09, 15:16
She says that he has more than likely been diagnosed with 1 condition but there is some light at the end of the tunnel so fingers crossed!!

Oh, let's hope the news is good and Brodie and Dragonfly can head back north soon.

balto
16-Jan-09, 15:33
all my love to dragonfly and brodie, get well soon brodie.

teenybash
16-Jan-09, 16:19
Quick update. Brodie was admitted in Edinburgh at 11.00 this morning. Dragonfly has to go back at 4.30 for an update. She says that he has more than likely been diagnosed with 1 condition but there is some light at the end of the tunnel so fingers crossed!!
Lets all hope that Light grows bigger and bigger and Brodie gets back home, whole and healed........... Bless you both.

hell raizer
16-Jan-09, 16:47
dragonfly i hope everything works out ok for brodie, we are thinking about you

dragonfly
16-Jan-09, 20:02
all, thanks for your messages of support. We are staying down in Edinburgh with my husbands brother while Brodie undergoes more tests.

Its a very long story but he started off displaying symptoms that were initially thought to be colic but after him progressively becoming worse over a period of about a month and on Wednesday nearly passing away if we hadn't have got him to the vets in time, he has now been diagnosed with a condition called Portosystemic Shunt or a livershunt. This can possibly be operated on but may not be successful. We are all just hoping that he can pull through this :~(

Skinnydog, thanks for posting

teenybash
16-Jan-09, 21:10
Poor Brodie to have such rotten luck but, if the PSS had not been discovered..............:~( but it has. Let's all hope the Gods of healing gather round and steer Brodie through his treatment and see him a healthly bouncing Doodle bug, back home and raring to go. Thinking of you both.

binbob
16-Jan-09, 21:57
dragonfly....really hope brodie can have op.to make him better.so sorry this is happening .we are thinking of u all ...give brodie a big hug.take care.

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 17:45
Poor Brodie to have such rotten luck but, if the PSS had not been discovered..............:~( but it has. Let's all hope the Gods of healing gather round and steer Brodie through his treatment and see him a healthly bouncing Doodle bug, back home and raring to go. Thinking of you both.

Thoughts and wishes for your wee fella from me too,
Teenybash is just so could with kind words of comfort.

dragonfly
18-Jan-09, 09:52
WE'RE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got a phone call yesterday lunchtime from the vet at the Royal Dick who said that Brodie could go home as all tests done had been positive and no further complications other than the PSS so we came away with armloads of food (Royal Canin Hepatic) and boxes of different tablets for him to take at differing times of day and strict instructions not to give him anything else to eat other than that until we speak to the consultant on Monday and she will advise us of what other things we can add to his diet (cottage cheese being one of them we think).

Also we have been advised that if he shows any of the symptoms that he used to do before being diagnosed with PSS, like pacing, head pressing, standing staring, drooling etc, we are to take him to local vets immediately for them to try to stablize him again. Unfortunately even emergency surgery is not an option, he will have to wait the 2 weeks until his appointment tho we haven't got a date yet but hope to on Monday

He travelled really well from Edinburgh to Thurso (took 7 hours!!), sleeping most of the way, but letting us know when he needed the toilet by climbing over us and barking in our ears! The journey was horrendous!!! gale force winds, driving snow, lashing rain, but we made it home and he was bounding around like he used to about a month ago (its amazing how you can see a deteriation looking back the way but aren't aware of it in real time). He's now snuggled up to our other doodle, Bailey, and little whines are coming out of him but think they are of happiness to be home.

the bad news is that my pet insurance isn't covering this so we're looking at a bill of around £5k so far! Not finished with them yet and now home will be looking at ways to fight their decision - certainly not going to just roll over and accept it [evil]

carasmam
18-Jan-09, 09:56
Glad you are home Dragonfly, what a few days you have had ! Hope Brodie keeps well and :eek: to your pet insurance, you dont need the stress of that on top of worrying about pups.

Thinking of you and yours x

dragonfly
18-Jan-09, 12:56
here's his new hairdo, a one off, just like him! or as the vet said 1 in a million (which are about the chances of having PSS!!)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3369/3205479785_89b9f0aa0a.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3459/3205482319_68c5145d16.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3116/3205484789_b5c0c82102.jpg

teenybash
18-Jan-09, 13:22
What a chap....has he no modesty flashing his bits [lol]
So good to see he is home and looking so well and here's hoping he will stay that way for a very long, long, long time.

Definately check out your pet insurance and have them give you a detailed list of the reasons why they are refusing to pay out....in writing.
Take a look at your policy and go over it with a fine tooth comb, all the small print and see if you can track the clause they are trying to escape from.

Good luck and keep us all posted on Brodie.....even if he is well and bouncy tell us all his silly doodle moments. :D

binbob
18-Jan-09, 13:35
awww..wee darling dog...big hugs...x:D

cuddlepop
18-Jan-09, 14:08
Poor wee darlin,big hugs from us across here.

Insurance companys make me so mad.If they dont insure for illness like this then whats the point.[disgust]

dragonfly
18-Jan-09, 14:14
there was a cross over between insurance companies and as he was seen 1st while with insurance company no.1 and diagnosed at that time as having colic then diagnosed with PSS after switching to insurance co no2 they are saying its a pre-existing condition and therefore refusing to pay out. if we had known he had PSS while with insurance co no1 we would have claimed from them at that time [evil] its the policy wording that allows them a get out from paying

hopefully someone will be able to give me more guidance to see if there is someway of them paying out as we certainly weren't aware of the condition until Wednesday and not confirmed until Friday

Venture
18-Jan-09, 14:22
Hi Dragonfly delighted that things are better with Brodie although it still must be a worry to you. He is absolutely adorable as ever in the photos. Hope you get things sorted out with the insurance they'll try every trick in the book to avoid paying out. Keep us all posted.

Liz
18-Jan-09, 14:32
I am sorry I missed this (my puter packed in!) but am glad to see that Brodie is home and hope with all my heart that he continues to do well.

Also, hope you get the insurance sorted out. As the others said it is enough of a worry without this!!!!:confused

Big hugs to the lovely Brodie!

teenybash
18-Jan-09, 15:25
there was a cross over between insurance companies and as he was seen 1st while with insurance company no.1 and diagnosed at that time as having colic then diagnosed with PSS after switching to insurance co no2 they are saying its a pre-existing condition and therefore refusing to pay out. if we had known he had PSS while with insurance co no1 we would have claimed from them at that time [evil] its the policy wording that allows them a get out from paying

hopefully someone will be able to give me more guidance to see if there is someway of them paying out as we certainly weren't aware of the condition until Wednesday and not confirmed until Friday

If I were you I would certainly give Ins Co 2 a run for their money on this one..............As PSS was not diagnosed until after Ins Co 2 accepted Brodie and insured him....they must be made to pay out. Although colic could but, not necessarily linked to the onset of PSS, I believe you have a good case against Ins Co 2 as Colic and PSS are two different conditions.
Keep picking at them........

ANNIE
18-Jan-09, 16:04
Delighted to hear your home so is Max :) Hopefully he'll be well enough soon so we can arrange our Doodle walk :D

Foxy
19-Jan-09, 00:53
Glad to hear you and Brodie are home. Hopefully he will continue to do well. Insurance companies are a nightmare but keep at them as they will try anything to save paying out.