PDA

View Full Version : ready, steady, go! ... wheelie bin races again

Tugmistress
15-Jan-09, 17:24
ok folks, pretty much set in stone now this one, sunday early hours from the southwest expect some high winds gusting to around 80mph if we are unlucky! the isobars are very tight together and i think we are right on the edge of the nasty stuff so it could go one way or the other! if we're lucky gusts only around 50 to 60mph

take alook for yourselves, are we in or out?

http://community.dcmag.co.uk/photos/tugmistresss_gallery/images/940359/original.aspx

Mister Squiggle
15-Jan-09, 17:32
Bloomin' heck!:eek: How can so many lovely colours end up looking so sinister?? Well, off to tie up the bins and anchor down the cat. Thanks for the warning Tugs, brilliant service as usual.
PS Blowing like the clappers here on the east coast and has been since about 3 this morning, when I was woken by the sound of flapping roof tiles and leaking windows. Ahh, the soothing sounds of winter.

Tugmistress
15-Jan-09, 17:36
lol sorry mister squiggle, didn't think this little blow warranted a warning :roll:
at least this hooly coming is going to be over by sunday mid morning at a guess.

Shabbychic
15-Jan-09, 17:36
I'll take your word for it Tuggie. Looks like a Picaso to me but I suppose it could be a Van Gogh on one of his off days.

Kodiak
15-Jan-09, 17:41
Thanks for the Warning Tugs, it is really appreciated.

(Going out to get some stout Cord to tie the Bins down)

K

Tugmistress
15-Jan-09, 17:43
I'll take your word for it Tuggie. Looks like a Picaso to me but I suppose it could be a Van Gogh on one of his off days.

hehe i like that, i can understand what you mean, i used to think that too!

as an aside, i just looked at one of the weather site warnings, they only slightly disagree with me, it'll only take a shift in the centre of this low about 20 miles north for us to get nothing worse than 50mph!

netweather says ...
The worst of the gusts will be over the western Isles and parts of the far north west of Scotland; gusts of 70mph and as high as 80mph are possible. Currently the Northern Isles seem likely to escape the very highest gusts; here a more standard
60-70mph seems the highest probable.

Iffy
15-Jan-09, 17:56
Hi Tugs

Ta very much for warning, luckily our bins have been weel tied down for over a year now, when my husband drilled a piece of wood into the wall at the back of our house, and the chains hes tied to them can be easily removed for bin collection day!!

So glad of that, cos as hes works away, I remember a very stormy night (about 2 in the morning) when I got up to take the main bin inside, NOT a pretty sight I can you, me in ma goonie, dragging a bin off the street which had already fallen on its side and blowing a hooley!!!. Never again now do I need to worry about the wheelie bin falling over !!!!

But cause of your warning Tugs, I've got a torch, candles and our new gas heater all to hand, so BRING IT ON ??? But I feel sorry for all the poor folkies who don't have prior warning of this !!

Thanks Tugs, for putting this warning on the general thread. I just hope that before it hits BIG time, the powers that be, don't decide to "move " it to another site - beacause we SO need these warnings !! :eek:

Tugmistress
15-Jan-09, 18:13
hi iffy,
glad i can help out, even if i am wrong and it isn't as strong as i'm expecting sometimes things like power supply and whatnot can still be affected due to it being stronger along the lines somewhere :) yeah i get egg on my face but who cares? i would rather be ready and it not arrive than not ready and caught out if it does lol hope that makes sense!

i think you're quite safe, i'm not sure but i don't think any of the weather warnings i have put out have ever been moved off on to another board :D

Iffy
15-Jan-09, 18:28
Thanks for your post Tugs !

I'm actually just off the phone to give my Dad a heads up on your warning, as he's 81 years old, on his own in the country.

As you say, if it SHOULD come to nothing, then far better to warned, just in case, especially for those older people like my Dad, living on their own.

Good On You Tugs and long may you post threads like these warnings !!

Kevin Milkins
15-Jan-09, 19:57
Thanks for the heads up on that one Tugs, it's a bit blowy out just now.

lynne duncan
15-Jan-09, 23:29
thanks tugs, don't think faither has seen this yet so i'll give him a heads up, keep on posting
ta lynne

Dadie
15-Jan-09, 23:32
I cannot work out the weather pictures so Im really glad you can tell us what is happening in easy to understand language.
The pictures are pretty with the colours and white lines though!

roadbowler
16-Jan-09, 02:41
yep, picture not lookin so pretty. Couldna barely get a rizla between those isobars. Eek! Thanks tugs. Your warnings and your weather station site is appreciated by me more than you know!!

poppett
16-Jan-09, 08:29
Much prefer a weather forecast from Tugmistress than trying to figure out the ramblings of the TV forecasters. A few days ago they showed a huge cloud over caithness with snow and rain falling from it. I know we call the county the land of four seasons weatherwise, but this was too much for me.

Keep up the good work Tuggs.

balto
16-Jan-09, 10:15
better go and get the trampoline down, been saying that all winter, but the last bad wind we had it nearly went over the 6ft fence at the bottom of the garden and try as we might, my daughter and i just couldnt get the legs of it so better get my other half onto it asap.

zappster
16-Jan-09, 10:38
its a howlin joost now oot here( in the north sea!).
It wizna the wheelie bins that were causin hassle in ma street( that last windy period aroond xmas!) ..it was the bloomin blue boxes that were blowin aboot...Had to go oot & catch one at 3am one night!!

anneoctober
16-Jan-09, 12:53
ok folks, pretty much set in stone now this one, sunday early hours from the southwest expect some high winds gusting to around 80mph if we are unlucky! the isobars are very tight together and i think we are right on the edge of the nasty stuff so it could go one way or the other! if we're lucky gusts only around 50 to 60mph

take alook for yourselves, are we in or out?

http://community.dcmag.co.uk/photos/tugmistresss_gallery/images/940359/original.aspx
In OR out we'll be shakin all about Tugs! My peepers are drawn to the warm oranges though on your wee map!:lol: Like E avatar - can you explain to e blonde bimbo what it is?!:eek:

highlander
16-Jan-09, 13:08
Tuggs are we going to hit by snow, yesterday i felt it was making a bed for it?

chef4celebrations
16-Jan-09, 13:31
this is the one i use which is helpful

www.xcweather.co.uk (http://www.xcweather.co.uk)

the wife understands this one easier

Rainmaker2
16-Jan-09, 13:37
Hey all
Just thought I'd give Paula a hand here. Hope thats OK Paula. The colour on the charts indicate thermal thickness, or in English how warm or cold the air is. A thickness of 528 decametres usually indicates a 50 percent chance of getting snow at sea level. This percentage of course increases if you are higher up. In case you're wondering how I know well I work for the Met Office and I'm a Weeker living down in Englandshire. I think we've already got an early warning out for Sunday.

anneoctober
16-Jan-09, 15:13
Hey all
Just thought I'd give Paula a hand here. Hope thats OK Paula. The colour on the charts indicate thermal thickness, or in English how warm or cold the air is. A thickness of 528 decametres usually indicates a 50 percent chance of getting snow at sea level. This percentage of course increases if you are higher up. In case you're wondering how I know well I work for the Met Office and I'm a Weeker living down in Englandshire. I think we've already got an early warning out for Sunday.
rainmaker2 - how about changing your user name to caithness4sunshine??? [lol]

Rainmaker2
16-Jan-09, 16:12
Is actually in memory of one of the people that trained me at Wick. He was called The Rainmaker and for some reason I got the Rainmaker2 tag.

Tugmistress
16-Jan-09, 16:14
Hey all

Hiya,
I don't mind one little bit :D
i use the 850 charts for giving temp warnings and to see whether or not the air is cold enough for snow, same colours but a different setup, highlander i'll have a look when the 12z charts come out :)
and thanks again for a smashing PM - you made my day RM2 :D

Tugmistress
16-Jan-09, 18:10
Tuggs are we going to hit by snow, yesterday i felt it was making a bed for it?

Hi Highlander, the only chance i can see of us getting snow would be early hours wednesday morning at the moment, so you're safe for now :D there is a very small chance that high ground will get it before, but nothing round here is high enough i don't think.

we're still looking at a blasting late saturday early hours sunday, but from what i can see it eases off to sensible caithness levels (around 30mph ish) by around 8am sunday morning.

stekar
16-Jan-09, 18:49
Thanks for the warning Tugs!
I forsee a sleepless night listening to the roof rattling again.........

highlander
16-Jan-09, 20:34
Thanks for that tuggs, no use dusting the sledge then grrrrrrrrrrrr lol

cazmanian_minx
16-Jan-09, 23:12
The Times is talking about something called thundersnow! More for the northwest than us though, I think....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/weather/article5531920.ece

ShelleyCowie
17-Jan-09, 01:03
Ma poor sledges are sittin in the back lobby crying! They want snow! And so do i! :~( I love the snow! Love seeing the cat in the snow! He thinks its eating his feet the way he prances on it! Lol!

Tugmistress
17-Jan-09, 16:15
ok just an update folks,
it looks like the centre has come a little further south, we'll probably start to notice the wind is picking up around 5pm this evening and it'll start from a south easterly direction - then back through to south west as the evening goes on.
still estimating gusts of around 80 mph, cape wrath could well have in excess of 100mph.
by daylight tomorrow it's all done and dusted til the next time ;)

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 16:22
Just warming up nicely over here on Skye,caravan rocking back and forth and the rain falling from the sky.:eek:

If the forecast is right I'll probably lose the connection by late evening.:(........what will I do.

by morning I'll be having withdrawels.lol

mums angels
17-Jan-09, 16:29
Thank for the Upadates Tugs i've had the kids clearing up the garden and sorting out the rabbit all afternoon :D

Tugmistress
17-Jan-09, 17:07
i'm watching this creep in right now on this site (http://www.scottishweather.net/), it's updated every five minutes or thereabouts, barra are getting 60mph at the moment

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 17:35
i'm watching this creep in right now on this site (http://www.scottishweather.net/), it's updated every five minutes or thereabouts, barra are getting 60mph at the moment

Thats a good site,thanks for posting it Tuggs.:D

sandyr
17-Jan-09, 18:21
Hi Tugmistress,
Tks for the info and that interesting Web Site. I am quite a distance away but like to remember....from afar....the wind and rain and rain and wind in Caithness.....sr

bekisman
17-Jan-09, 18:38
Been mentioned before but this one's interesting: http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/wind/in/ looks like after midnight we'll get it 'out west'.. I've got the torches and candles ready...

butterfly
17-Jan-09, 20:07
thanks for the warning tugmistress,been out and turned the trampoline upside down and put couple of breezeblocks on it so no fear of it taking off now and becoming a weapon of distruction![lol]

Kodiak
17-Jan-09, 20:44
Wind is starting to pick up nicely here in Thurso and it at present about a Force 5 to 6 with one or two Gusts a but stronger.

teenybash
17-Jan-09, 20:48
Wind is fair battering at the moment.....................I hate it.....[disgust]

brandy
17-Jan-09, 21:17
lights are flickering here now.... wind is starting to really pick up.. have thought about looking outside but changed my mind! i hear things rolling around out front... but keeping my head well buried! *G* ... have already put kids to bed, just in case lights go out.. hopefully they will be asleep!
im working in the morning so hope power dosent go out as my alam is NOT battery operated!

changilass
17-Jan-09, 21:23
I use the mobile as an alarm whenever the weather is bad just in case of power cuts in the night.

cuddlepop
17-Jan-09, 22:38
Trains off down Ayrshire and ferry stuck in Uig harbour.
Western Isles are getting a battering far worse than us on Skye as Northern have told everyone to stay indoors.

Hope Pats ok over there.:(

ShelleyCowie
18-Jan-09, 01:50
I use the mobile as an alarm whenever the weather is bad just in case of power cuts in the night.

Now that wud just annoy me!!! Lol! I wud throw the alarm across the room!

whenmy OH tries to wake me up in the mornings i kick him so now he knows to step back....pretty far! LOL!

neepnipper
19-Jan-09, 11:12
Blowing well here at the moment! Just lost the electric for 1/2 hour!:~(

Sapphire2803
19-Jan-09, 11:47
Blowing well here at the moment! Just lost the electric for 1/2 hour!:~(

Yup, I was just about to put the kettle on when it went. :( Still, at least I have the Rayburn. Although, as the fire wasn't lit when the power went, it was a tad slower. :lol:

ShelleyCowie
19-Jan-09, 12:09
I hate weather like this! I was meant to go down and pick up 2 packages from the Post office and instead sent my mum to get them! Dinna want to take the pram out in this..scared incase a gust o wind blows it over! :confused

So instead am sittin in all day long! :Razz

Ash
19-Jan-09, 13:33
got well and truley soaked taking wee one to nursery then had to go to tesco for shopping as coop closed,soaked again
thankfully thats us in for the day!

ter21wat
19-Jan-09, 14:13
Hi tugmistress, I just like to say that i think your site www.tugmistress.co.uk (http://www.tugmistress.co.uk) is brilliant!! Its really interesting and informative, keep up the good work! :D :D