PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you have Boiler Maintenance Contracts?

Penelope Pitstop
15-Jan-09, 17:18
Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone in Caithness has a boiler/heating contract. The kind of thing that British/Scottish Gas has been advertising on the TV lately? You pay a set amount every month that covers breakdowns and an annual service.

My mum has gas and was looking to join one. I phoned Scottish Gas, but they don't do as far north as Thurso!!!!:~( Just wondering if any other companies do cover Caithness area??

Many thanks in advance

PP

pierre
15-Jan-09, 19:10
I asked this in October also but there was only one reply so don't think there can be.

I had tried Hydro electric and they are the same, well at least they were at that time.

Don't think there are any that do contracts/offers for this, just local companies that can service boilers etc then give you a bill at the end of it, but no actual pay monthly schemes or anything like that, as far as I am aware anyway.

flowertot
15-Jan-09, 19:22
We had a 3 star maint contract with Scottish gas some years ago but they transferred to Scotland Gas Networks I think they're called. you'll see their vans around town, same blue colour as SG but with a red map of Scotland on side made up of dots.

They do and excellent service.

Contact them on 08457 573 864 ( charged at local rate)

Kodiak
15-Jan-09, 19:27
My Personal opinion is this.

These type of contracts are not worth buying. I would find out how much the average contract costs and then every month put this amount of money in a savings account.

Then if and when you require a service or a repair you will have a good piece or enough money to pay for a local contractor.

K

Loafer
15-Jan-09, 20:08

These type of contracts are not worth buying. I would find out how much the average contract costs and then every month put this amount of money in a savings account.

Then if and when you require a service or a repair you will have a good piece or enough money to pay for a local contractor.

K

Have you ever tried getting a local contractor in an emergency? I have, it ain't easy. I pay £17 a month to Scottish Gas Network and I find it peace of mind more than anything else. You get your annual service and if you ever have a problem, they are with you within the hour.

The Loafer

LENSMAN
15-Jan-09, 20:13
Have to agree Loafer.
I've had my moneys worth out of my contract.
I went to them after having poor service from a local contractor caused damage during the service.
How much is a service now?
All of the system is covered and piece of mind, well worth it.

Penelope Pitstop
15-Jan-09, 20:31
We had a 3 star maint contract with Scottish gas some years ago but they transferred to Scotland Gas Networks I think they're called. you'll see their vans around town, same blue colour as SG but with a red map of Scotland on side made up of dots.

They do and excellent service.

Contact them on 08457 573 864 ( charged at local rate)

Hi Flowertot

Thanks very much for that info and telephone number. :) I'll give them a ring in the morning (tried the number this evening, but they shut at 5pm).

The number I tried this afternoon was Scottish Gas that was listed in the Yellow pages.

PP

Penelope Pitstop
15-Jan-09, 20:37

K

I can see your point there Kodiak. Just that my Mum's last bill was £80 for service labour, £21 mileage (she used the same contractor who had fitted the heating), small parts, etc which totalled £140. Anyway that was only about 9 months ago and the darn thing is playing up again which will probably cost another £140.

(It's not that old either - about 6 years.) Just thinking that she would be better off paying monthly. Plus as someone has just said it's so difficult to get a fairly quick response. She's no spring chicken at 70!! Ssshhhhh.. don't tell her I said that though:lol:

ABC
15-Jan-09, 23:09
I HAD a contract with domestic & General insurance but it was nothing but trouble. Each time I had to contact them it was nothing but hassle. When the boiler eventually gave up they were refusing to pay up but thanks to a local firm and alot of phoning back and forth they eventually agreed to payout. After about 6 weeks of no heating in november. I will not be using a contract with insurers again. I have kisted on the local firms books for an annual service and with it being a new boiler it should not have meny break downs (hopefully)

Penelope Pitstop
16-Jan-09, 10:41
Have to agree Loafer.
I've had my moneys worth out of my contract.
I went to them after having poor service from a local contractor caused damage during the service.
How much is a service now?
All of the system is covered and piece of mind, well worth it.

For a 3 star maintenance contract it would be £15.49 per month including VAT. That would cover fire, back boiler and radiators. Also an annual service. Not bad I thought.:)

Thanks to you all for your help/comments on this.

flowertot
16-Jan-09, 17:06
By rads they mean the water side of your heating system which includes pipework, pumps and water cylinder. Ours leaked last year and I was on point of buying another when OH remembered the cover, phoned and they came within couple of hours removeed and replaced the tank. That call out alone covered the monthly debit for well over a year!! Dont be without it is my opinion.