PDA

View Full Version : It's WOOL TIME!!!!!

rich
15-Jan-09, 16:50
Why doesn't the org start a knitting club? They are really cool these days as a google research will reveal.
Might I add a further suggestion? To get the right celebrity feel to the event you will requite a smooth, handsome, model for your knitwear.
I am prepared to be that model!
I will be in Caithness sometime in the Spring and I am looking forward to my new woolies.
A word of caution: My brother might try and needle his way in to get a freebie sweater.
Have nothing to do with him! He has drawers full of sweaters and I have only a couple of moth-eaten objects from Marks and Spencer. (Are they still in business...?)
So get those needles clacking, folks!

http://www.downtownknitcollective.ca/

laguna2
15-Jan-09, 16:55
A cinema in Glasgow had sessions where people took along their knitting and watched the film ... the lights were turned low, not off, so that they could see their patterns! This was within the last 2 years!

Shabbychic
15-Jan-09, 17:10
A knitting club, where non-knitters could be taught the basics would be a good idea. I remember when I was wee being taught by my Nana, ( in, over, through and off) and believe many youngsters today don't have anyone to teach them.

Think of all the fashion items they could make at less cost, and who knows, there may even be a budding knitwear designer in our mist.

balto
15-Jan-09, 17:15
i would love to learn to knit, but being left handed it looks ackward for someone right handed to teach me, mind my mum trying loads of times when i was younger, but with mum being right handed everything was reversed and no matter how hard she tried, i couldnt pick it up. think there is nothing nicer than seeing a baby in hand knitted cardigans and hats.

Shabbychic
15-Jan-09, 17:31
i would love to learn to knit, but being left handed it looks ackward for someone right handed to teach me, mind my mum trying loads of times when i was younger, but with mum being right handed everything was reversed and no matter how hard she tried, i couldnt pick it up. think there is nothing nicer than seeing a baby in hand knitted cardigans and hats.

Here is a couple of sites that may help you.

Learn to Knit (http://learn-to-knit.com/left1.htm)

The Knitting Site (http://www.theknittingsite.com/how-to-knit-left-handed.htm)

Being Left Handed (http://www.beinglefthanded.com/Left-Handed-Knitting.html)

rich
15-Jan-09, 21:41
It is sort of an urban myth, Isuppose, but males are allegedly the most likely members of the family to recieve UGLY pullovers as Xmas gifts.
And, truth to tell, there are some horrors out there - destined to be stuffed away in some drawer of shame.
The thing is you cant give the thing away because the aunt who knitted it so lovingly might be offended to see it worn by the town drunk (although some would say that describes me!) Enough of this introversion! I enclose a sweater picture which is really indescribable, but here goes anyway...The salmon pink colour suggests it might hail from Gnome, Alaska or some such place where the natives patiently knit on bicycle spokes in clouds of barbecue smoke. But what does the brown stripe stand for?
It's a mystery.

http://www.inlandknitwear.com/stripe.htm

rich
15-Jan-09, 21:43
Also the right arm - very strange, it's longer than the left arm and it's an even more sinister colour....

Alice in Blunderland
15-Jan-09, 21:47
I am prepared to be that model!
So get those needles clacking, folks!

No problem Im up for that. I have dusted off my knitting pins and looked out a lovely shade of blue wool for your new jumper................

One question left...........are you a big boy....... :eek: ;) cant have you new jumper not fitting you now can we. :lol:

changilass
15-Jan-09, 21:52
Good question Alice, we need as much detail as possible if we stand any chance of our knitting fitting

rich
15-Jan-09, 22:00
Thank you for the kind offer. I am six feet two, lean and athletic with a devilish smile. Do not listen to anything my brother says. (He is a runtish five foot six)

Have you heard about the CURSE OF THE SWEATER? I would like my sweater to come curse-free if possible.

I just now learned about the sweatrer curse from Wikopedia. Here it is:

Sweater curse
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Gifts of sweaters are believed by some knitters to break up relationships.Knitters use the term Sweater Curse or the Curse of the Love Sweater to describe a situation in which a knitter gives a hand-knit sweater to a significant other, who quickly breaks up with the knitter.[1] In an alternative formulation, the relationship will end before the sweater is even completed.[2] The belief is widely discussed in knitting publications and some knitters claim to have experienced the Sweater Curse;[3][4][5] a recent poll indicated that 15% of active knitters say they have experienced the sweater curse firsthand, and 41% consider it a possibility that should be taken seriously.[6]

Despite its name, the Sweater Curse is treated in knitting literature not as a superstition governed by paranormal forces, but rather as a real-world pitfall of knitting that has real-world explanations and solutions.[3][7] Several plausible mechanisms for the sweater curse have been proposed, but it has not been studied systematically.

Dadie
15-Jan-09, 22:16
I am female and I have lurking in my wardrobe some hand knits that are "not to my taste" but knitted with love by mum, I also have some nice knits too:lol: but the jumper that really got me stumped was one that mum knitted when I was in 1st year high school it grew with me and never got bobbled it is only recently (when we moved 18 mths ago) I kinda "lost" it!

Kenn
15-Jan-09, 22:20
But surely the cursing is done during the knitting, when one has dropped a stitch, purled when one should have knitted, cabled right when one should have gone left,joined in the wrong colour or split the wool.
There are many expletives used none of which are printable here!

lynne duncan
15-Jan-09, 23:22
a mum of a hillhead bairn, has organised a school knitting club last august and i volunteered to help, took my mum in too, for extra support, its for p6 and p7's started off with about 15 but a few have dropped by the wayside but the ones that are left are turning out to be good little knitters
they love to yap but still are knitting as they go on
starting to knit mittens this week with them

Dadie
15-Jan-09, 23:27
sounds like new recruits for knitting sewing groups already... gossip is as important as the craft work if not more so! Scary:lol:

dirdyweeker
16-Jan-09, 01:53
I remember when I was wee being taught by my Nana, ( in, over, through and off) and believe many youngsters today don't have anyone to teach them.

My Uncle taught me to knit many years ago. It was all the rage in the 50's and 60's.
Don't worry about being left handed Balto. I am left handed and don't remember ever having a problem. You will catch up quick.

airdlass
16-Jan-09, 07:31
We used to have knitting classes at school - I can still remember knitting socks and gloves.

My mum knitted a lot and made beautiful shawls for quite a few folk in the village.
Not long after my daughter was born I decided to knit a jumper for her and got stuck so had to phone my mum for help. Makes me smile now picturing myself with the phone in one hand and trying to tell her what I had done and what I should've done and her trying to help. Needless to say the next time she came to visit she finished it for me. It was one of the few baby things I kept.

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jan-09, 19:30
Thank you for the kind offer. I am six feet two, lean and athletic with a devilish smile.

Wow how could we refuse you anything.............:rolleyes:

Now if you could kindly post a piccie just to make sure that we knit you something that would suit you and wont clash with your eyes or haircolouring ( presuming your not bald ) then that would be just fine. ;)

changilass
16-Jan-09, 19:32
We also need to know your shoe size :lol:

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jan-09, 19:35
We also need to know your shoe size :lol:
LOL :lol: you are so naughty............

Or are you planning on knitting him socks :eek:

changilass
16-Jan-09, 19:39
Socks of course, what did you think I meant you naughty lady you :lol:

Alice in Blunderland
16-Jan-09, 21:26
Socks of course, what did you think I meant you naughty lady you :lol:

Well as it would happen changi I am in the middle of a nice pair of socks just now....................

http://www.marniemaclean.com/words/images/0606/sock1toribbing-thumb.jpg

What do you think Rich?.................how do you think you would suit these ones................ are they 'big' enough ?

changilass
16-Jan-09, 22:53
WOW Alice they is super socks, I am knitting kilt hose for hubby, its my first attempt at knitting with 4 needles (5 if you count the cable needle), its an interesting idea.

Any chance of getting a copy of your pattern please :lol: (cheeky I know but if you don't ask you dont get)

Dadie
16-Jan-09, 23:14
I think I will start small and get mum to teach me to do squares.
That way I can make a baby blanket for Iona.
I am tempted with the bamboo wool you can get as Lauren has a bamboo blankie and its really soft and it washes well.

Errogie
16-Jan-09, 23:30
What's this all about. Until the oil runs out I am a fleece and micro fleece man and never want to get inside another itchy hairy ganzie for the rest of my natural . Leave the wool where it belongs on the owners back or until it falls off!

There's an old black and white photo going around of a weather beaten lady carrying a creel of fish on her back and walking the road with her wool and needles whirring around like some sort of hazard - probably just scaled the Whaligoe steps and setting off to Wick to sell the days catch.

Can we expect to see Orgers wandering past Spoons pub knitting one purl one, the street full of the sound of clacking needles and then the headlines in e' Groat. "Jogger skewered in head on collision with mobile knitter. Council Official to prepare Health and Safety guidelines and advisory no knitting zones". The usual red ringed sign around a ball of wool and crossed needles!

ShelleyCowie
16-Jan-09, 23:58
I used to knit! Started off with scarfs! Nice and easy!

Then i started making knitted toys! made a wee snowman! The stuffing it was the hardest part! haha! But now i just dont have the patience to do it!

Oh and i made a huge blanket for my dog i used to have! :Razz

Errogie
17-Jan-09, 08:15
And then there were those dreadful ladies in the French Revolution who sat at the foot of the guillotine with their knitting counting the heads as they dropped into the basket.

Extreme Knitting, where else and how else can you carry out this obsessive activity - I can detect a marketing campaign for born again knitting fiends.

poppett
17-Jan-09, 08:52
Many years ago I finished the border of a cardigan and finished sewing it up at a Status Quo concert. Was told them I had been a knitter at the guillotine in a previous life. Knitting should be encouraged. I am ambidextrous and found I tended to be left handed when it came to knitting. Teacher put me out the class as I looked so awkward and I went to technical drawing instead. Taught myself how to knit, and can follow house plans and diagrams for wiring etc., so she did me a favour in a roundabout way.