PDA

View Full Version : A List for a Lists Sake or for Lifes Lake!!

brokencross
15-Jan-09, 08:50
That should read SAKE not lake

In our household and family circle I am renowned (and mocked) for my lists. I do a shopping list for 3 or 4 items. I will do a checklist for packing a suitcase or getting a picnic ready. I do "must do" lists. I used to get Brahms and List. I prefer to call them aides de memoire.

I get the mickey taken out of me for this, BUT they all refer to some of my lists "just to check".

Call me naive, too trusting or plain stupid but I would have thought a checklist would already be in "operation" in hospital operating theatres. But NO!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1116605/Surgical-checklist-save-lives-lost-operating-table.html

Frightening to think such complex procedudes are being carried out without some formal standardised checklist.

Bobinovich
15-Jan-09, 10:31
I confess to being a list person myself - purely down to having such a lousy general memory. It's strange that I'm able to remember complicated IT procedures, passwords, wireless codes, credit card numbers [disgust], etc. but can't remember what shopping I need to buy, despite having just checked the cupboards, fridge & freezer less than half an hour ago!

I agree it's shocking that such medical procedures have not had some sort of checklist to date - it's people's lives we're talking about :eek:. I'm also surprised the H&SE have not put their oar in before now - they seem to lumber every other sector in 'necessary' red tape & procedure!

Penelope Pitstop
15-Jan-09, 11:21

In our household and family circle I am renowned (and mocked) for my lists. I do a shopping list for 3 or 4 items. I will do a checklist for packing a suitcase or getting a picnic ready. I do "must do" lists. I used to get Brahms and List. I prefer to call them aides de memoire.

I get the mickey taken out of me for this, BUT they all refer to some of my lists "just to check".

Call me naive, too trusting or plain stupid but I would have thought a checklist would already be in "operation" in hospital operating theatres. But NO!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1116605/Surgical-checklist-save-lives-lost-operating-table.html

Frightening to think such complex procedudes are being carried out without some formal standardised checklist.

Are you a Libra by any chance???

This is a common trait for Libra star sign. Would be interested to know if you are. My OH is and he writes lists for everything!!

blueivy
15-Jan-09, 11:30

Only started using lists of a sort to keep track of things. It's frightening to see the size of the list once you empty your head of all those things you've been keeping on a mental list.

Like Bob I can remember the longest wireless security code, the phone numbers of dozens of people and endless passwords but ask me to remember to put the water on when I go downstairs and my mind is already wandered somewhere else.

I think one of the checklists that hospitals were going to create was counting the number of instruments before and after an operation to make sure that they haven't left something in there .... these aren't so much checklists as common sense!?!?! My question is why WOULDN'T you count the instruments before and after an operation?!

Angela
15-Jan-09, 11:40
Are you a Libra by any chance???

This is a common trait for Libra star sign. Would be interested to know if you are. My OH is and he writes lists for everything!!

I don't know about Brokencross, PP, but I'm a Libran and I'm certainly a hopeless listaholic lol :roll:

I have lists for everything, including a master list of all the other lists I have, so the time I spend making and updating lists is crazy really. However, it does mean I feel my mind is clear to get on with what I'm doing rather than worrying about remembering the things on the lists!

I suffer from fibromyalgia, which can make your brain very 'foggy' so lists are a must for me, but the list making mania predated the fibro, so perhaps it is a characteristics of Librans. My OH was a Libran as well and he was just as obsessive a list maker as I am.

I can't imagine there not being a checklist for procedures such as surgery! :mad:

Dorrie
15-Jan-09, 12:15
I'm a Gemini and a list maker. I can't go anywhere or do anything without a list! lol

It beggars belief that they don't have check lists in hospitals, especially if people are dying. You would think that the surgeons themselves would have been querying it.

ShelleyCowie
15-Jan-09, 12:34
I constantly write lists, shopping i will write about 3. If anybody even so much as writes a word on my list i have to start again! Going on holiday i will write a list of things to take over and over and over! Its mental!

When writing out recipes i will write them until i accept them to be neat enough! But my mum is mad on lists too!

Oh and Christmas I had a list o things i had for everybody in every room nearly! I do have better things to do than write lists but i just cant help it! :confused

Gizmo
15-Jan-09, 14:05
I'm a bit of a lister as well, if i don't do a proper shopping list then i'l come home with none of the things i needed and everything i don't need, i blame being out of work for the last year, my mind is in a stagnant enviroment and iv'e become terribly forgetful :(

I'm quite shocked that an operating theatre does not have a pre-op check list, it's one place i would expect it to be law.

ShelleyCowie
15-Jan-09, 14:10
I'm a bit of a lister as well, if i don't do a proper shopping list then i'l come home with none of the things i needed and everything i don't need, i blame being out of work for the last year, my mind is in a stagnant enviroment and iv'e become terribly forgetful :(

I'm quite shocked that an operating theatre does not have a pre-op check list, it's one place i would expect it to be law.

Bet u dont forget to pick up yer pension tho Gizmo! ;):lol:

I thought they would have lists too for operations! Considering the amount of storys u hear about things being left inside people! I watched a progarm on it the other night! (Huge medical program fan) People had cloths, scalpols, scissors left inside!

A9RUNNER
15-Jan-09, 14:11
I need lists or I forget to do stuff or get stuff. I remember once going to the shop to get 3 things. I phoned home 3 times to check what is was the wife wanted me to get and still managed to only get 2 of them I was half way home when I remembered that I was suposed to get 3 things So I phoned homa again to find out what the 3rd thing was and had to go back again!! I could never be a doctor or surgeon!! Far to scatterbrained.

Gizmo
15-Jan-09, 14:14
Bet u dont forget to pick up yer pension tho Gizmo! ;):lol

:lol:...cheeky moo, bloody youngsters....no respect for their elders :lol:

Gizmo
15-Jan-09, 14:22
I need lists or I forget to do stuff or get stuff. I remember once going to the shop to get 3 things. I phoned home 3 times to check what is was the wife wanted me to get and still managed to only get 2 of them I was half way home when I remembered that I was suposed to get 3 things So I phoned homa again to find out what the 3rd thing was and had to go back again!! I could never be a doctor or surgeon!! Far to scatterbrained.

Oh we've all done that at times, i always get confused when i have to get 'ladies monthlies' and hairspray etc, i'm always phoning home asking which bloomin' kind it is i have to get.

And seeing as i have mentioned 'ladies monthlies' i am going to tell you my embarrasing moment, you know you get different sizes, mini, normal, super?...eh...well i used to think that they were for different sized ladies, i honestly thought that 'super' was for ladies that had had babies and that 'mini' was for petite ladies :lol:...typical bloody bloke:rolleyes:

ShelleyCowie
15-Jan-09, 14:23
:lol:...cheeky moo, bloody youngsters....no respect for their elders :lol:

U know i respect u Gizmo! ;) My life would be blank without bein cheeky to u! Lol!

Anne x
15-Jan-09, 14:27
I am a Leo and make endless lists for the shopping butcher etc and then leave the lists at home or in my car

I thought Theatre Nurses counted all equipment and dressings and had to account for them at the end of a operation having said that many years ago a friend of mine had a swab left inside her and it caused endless problems for her and she was quite poorly

Gizmo
15-Jan-09, 14:27
U know i respect u Gizmo! ;) My life would be blank without bein cheeky to u! Lol!

Haha...it's fine, i have skin thicker than your average effalump, also you when you dish it out as much as i do you gotta learn to take it as well :p

ShelleyCowie
15-Jan-09, 14:32
Haha...it's fine, i have skin thicker than your average effalump, also you when you dish it out as much as i do you gotta learn to take it as well :p

Ohh and effalumps do have thick skin! I can handle it! Surely a pensioner like yerself will be slow off the mark tho! [lol]

Reading the threads above tho...does it matter what star sign u are? Im just wondering cos am a Cancer...no idea what we are apparently like! (Maybe cheeky)

Im addicted to lists! Have written 3 in the last 2 hours! [para]

dirdyweeker
15-Jan-09, 14:55
I am a list person too. Mind you I never used to be. My OH is Libran and was a 'list' person when we met so I have obviously developed the habit after so many years together. I have 'to-do' lists, 'to-buy' lists....and the list goes on!
As for hospital check lists...they do exist locally.
One check of patients is made before leaving ward and one at theatre with theatre staff. Instruments and swab checks are also done. No doubt lots more are done that I am unaware of.

poppett
15-Jan-09, 15:19
I pride myself on writing a comprehensive shopping list, usually in the order of the aisles of the shop I am going to......... forget it and find it lying in the kitchen when I get home, but am usually spot on with the supplies I come home with tallying to the list.

In Western General Hospital as recently as three years ago there were comprehensive theatre check lists, before, during and after surgery, for patient identification, proceedure to be done, and an instrument and swab count. My OH`s operation was videoed with a complete commentary from the two Consultants, one from UK the other from USA who performed his pioneering surgery.

Lists are a comforting tool I think.

Vistravi
15-Jan-09, 15:41
Have to hold my hand up here and say that I think mental lists are better. i find that if I write something down i forget it wheras if i don't write sumthing down i rememebr it:eek: doesn't make much sense to me.
My partner's memory is hopeless though. He needs a to do list for everyday or he asks me to remind him to do something. He calls me his personal diary[lol]

Shabbychic
15-Jan-09, 16:34
I don't understand what this is all about. There have always been checklists in any hospital in Scotland that I have ever worked in, especially for surgery. They are exactly the same as what this article is on about. I can't speak for England and Wales, but doubt they have never used them.

I feel this is just another load of spin to let the "dumb" puplic think wonderful new things are being done.

A9RUNNER
15-Jan-09, 19:32
Oh we've all done that at times, i always get confused when i have to get 'ladies monthlies' and hairspray etc, i'm always phoning home asking which bloomin' kind it is i have to get.

And seeing as i have mentioned 'ladies monthlies' i am going to tell you my embarrasing moment, you know you get different sizes, mini, normal, super?...eh...well i used to think that they were for different sized ladies, i honestly thought that 'super' was for ladies that had had babies and that 'mini' was for petite ladies :lol:...typical bloody bloke:rolleyes:

LOL no it wasnt womens things I was getting it was normal groceries like bread milk and pasta. I had walked around tescos 3 times before I realise I hadnt put anything in the basket!!

Dadie
15-Jan-09, 23:41
I write a shopping list, take it with me,or leave it at home, then change my mind on what I want and get something totally different!

carasmam
16-Jan-09, 00:06
I constantly write lists, shopping i will write about 3. If anybody even so much as writes a word on my list i have to start again! Going on holiday i will write a list of things to take over and over and over!

I'm the same, the list has to be my handwriting and no-one elses :lol: