PDA

View Full Version : Walks in Caithness/North Sutherland

macDONsald
15-Jan-09, 08:36
Hi,

I've been looking for some interesting walks/treks around Caithness/North Sutherland on the www but havn't managed to come up with many.:~(

Can any of you suggest any ranging from 1 hour to a day?

cheers
MacDONsald

Mother Bear
15-Jan-09, 13:29
Hi, I haven't really got any good ones to recommend, but i would suggest you pay a visit to the library. They usually have a good selection of leaflets and booklets. Also the Tourist Inf, but I doubt they are open in the Wintertime.....someone will correct me if I am wrong.

It is something I want to expand on myself, but just haven't got around to it yet! Good luck anyway, and I shall be interested to see what other replies you get.

macDONsald
15-Jan-09, 13:53
Mother Bear,

Thanks for that. I'll try the library this weekend.
I walked down the coast from the trinkie the other day down past thrumster. Some really impressive veiws of the cliffs and caves. The odd bird of prey too.
Would recommend it.

macDONsald

daviddd
15-Jan-09, 13:56
It depends how far you wish to walk Macd... - a good long trek is around Dunnet Head (15 miles or so I think) - park at Dwarwick Harbour and head up onto the cliffs, then just follow the coast / road all the way back to your starting point.

You can also walk from Thurso to Castletown along the coast (6 miles). I got a taxi back from Castletown to the car at the Thurso harbour.

Wick to the old castle via the Trinkie is quite pleasant, as is Duncansby Head.

Up to the top of Dorrery Hill from the end of the Dorrery road is great on a good weather day (great views across Caithness), or you can walk from here through to Loch Caluim (10 mile round trip)

There are plenty more too..

macDONsald
15-Jan-09, 14:20
Thanks daviddd

The treck round Dunnet Head sounds interesting.
I might give the walk to Loch Caluim a go this weekend if the weather clears up a bit.

cheers
macDONsald

janemac
15-Jan-09, 15:42
http://www.caithness.org/geography/walksincaithness/index.htm

found this link above which might have some on...

:D

daviddd
15-Jan-09, 17:30
I have a book on walks in Sutherland at home I think - I'll look it out tonight if I can remember.

Dorrie
15-Jan-09, 19:03
and don't forget to put your postcode into http://www.geocaching.com to find the nearest geocaches to you. Some of them, especially as you go West, entail decent walks and provide stunning views. :)

daviddd
15-Jan-09, 21:56
I have a book on walks in Sutherland at home I think - I'll look it out tonight if I can remember.The book is 'Walk Sutherland- 50 graded walks in the northern highlands of Scotland' by Tom Strang, ISBN 0-9522654-0-0. It has neat little maps and clear info about what to see. If you can't locate a copy PM me.

Boss
15-Jan-09, 22:49
Hi,

I've been looking for some interesting walks/treks around Caithness/North Sutherland on the www but havn't managed to come up with many.:~(

Can any of you suggest any ranging from 1 hour to a day?

cheers
MacDONsald

http://www.awildland.org.uk/home.html

macDONsald
16-Jan-09, 14:04
Thanks all for your links and comments.
Thats just what i've been looking for.

Daviddd,
Found the book on amazon. Thanks for taking the time to look for it.

regards
macDONsald

bekisman
17-Jan-09, 18:48
you could try this: http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/93361B53-572C-4DB6-B902-8F0FB0863AF3/0/SU_Map_10.pdf

Planned, but some time in the near future?

cazmanian_minx
17-Jan-09, 20:35
Also keep an eye out for the Highland Ranger walks - the booklet's usually published towards the end of March and gives all the walks/expeditions that the Caithness and Sutherland Rangers organise throughout the year. Lengths and difficulty range from short strolls to all day walks up mountains.

Viking Girl
19-Jan-09, 19:39
I purchased the Hallewell Pocket Walking Guides for Caithness, East Sutherland and West Sutherland this weekend, after spotting them in a friend's house. These have a range of walks to suit all levels of walkers and I think they are really good. I got my books in the bookshop at Durness but you should find them reasonable easy in Caithness.