PDA

View Full Version : Could You Eat An Elephant?

Gizmo
14-Jan-09, 23:16
Anyone else watching this on Ch4?, i started to watch it but i think i'm going to have to switch it off, the sight of those songbirds lying there plucked ready for cooking has really put me off, i have a feeling it's only going to get more stomach churning.

dirdyweeker
14-Jan-09, 23:19
saw the trailer for this so have set the recorder. Looked stomach churning!

Gizmo
14-Jan-09, 23:32
Bloomin eck...am near boakin':eek:

wickchick
14-Jan-09, 23:50
That poor horse!!

dirdyweeker
14-Jan-09, 23:51
oh! sounds like I'd better give it a miss.........:eek:

Kodiak
15-Jan-09, 00:06
The bit that got to me was the Sheep Cheese riddled with Fly Maggots and they ate them, YUCH !!!

Gizmo
15-Jan-09, 00:08
I am quite fine with challenging television, but this programme is just a step too far for me, the dog section stepped over the line, seeing those poor dogs crammed into that small cage ready for slaughter was pretty upsetting, and also seeing that Horse being dragged into that abattoir was difficult viewing.

changilass
15-Jan-09, 00:22
Tom Parker Bowles did the magotty cheese thingy in a Gordon Ramsey program, so that bit aint new.

Still watching here

kitty kat
15-Jan-09, 00:25
one word yuk

Margaret M.
15-Jan-09, 00:26
I don't know what the programme is -- sounds like the continent for the songbirds and Korea/China for the poor wee doggies. So sad! Programmes like these are a big part of the reason I am a vegetarian.

Gizmo
15-Jan-09, 00:41
I don't know what the programme is -- sounds like the continent for the songbirds and Korea/China for the poor wee doggies. So sad! Programmes like these are a big part of the reason I am a vegetarian.

It was Vietnam for the dogs, not nice viewing at all, the only upside to it was the information that many young Vietnamese are turning away from eating dogs.

changilass
15-Jan-09, 00:43
Have to say that my answer to the original question would have to be YES - I would eat elephant, in the right circumstances I would probably eat just about anything.

Foxy
15-Jan-09, 00:47
I watched the programme and found it quite interesting. I would rather not have seen them eating dogs or monkeys, in other countries these animals to them are what sheep and cattle are to most of us which is food.

ar1ling
15-Jan-09, 02:45
i know some people cooked the snakes, but it is horrible to view people eating dogs or horses :mad:

Aaldtimer
15-Jan-09, 03:26
i know some people cooked the snakes, but it is horrible to view people eating dogs or horses :mad:

Why?

Have you ever looked into a calf's big brown eyes?
Or a lamb's?
Snakes are ok but not dogs or horses, what's the difference?:confused

butterfly
15-Jan-09, 03:44
the vietnamese have dogs as pets but they still eat them,had to switch off,couldnt stomach it:(

Ash
15-Jan-09, 09:20
the vietnamese have dogs as pets but they still eat them,had to switch off,couldnt stomach it:(

i turned it on when this happened... i was in tears and had to turn it off:(

The Angel Of Death
15-Jan-09, 10:22
Why?

Have you ever looked into a calf's big brown eyes?
Or a lamb's? Snakes are ok but not dogs or horses, what's the difference?:confused

Exactly why is it that one animal is OK to eat but not another maybe its because we are socially attached to the dogs and cats that we think its not right that we eat them that's fair enough but what is the difference between a dog and a pig ? people keep them as pets but its still OK to eat them

Given the right situation i can guarantee that anyone will eat just about anything its surprising how quickly peoples "morals" will go out the window when there starving to death and along plods Fido who will make quite a tasty snack to keep you going

Penelope Pitstop
15-Jan-09, 11:12
We watched it and although it was interesting we all found the "farmed" dogs really distressing.

My daughter was quite upset about it all and said it was enough to make her a veggie. I was thinking along the same lines:~(

When in Turkey (just last year) there were always stray kittens around the hotel - they weren't doing any harm really and were very friendly. Turned out the hotel staff would catch them and feed them to the dogs...how inhuman is that.....absolutely no need for it.[evil] Mind you I didn't care much for the people in Turkey (sorry a bit off topic here).

zappster
15-Jan-09, 22:47
mmmm snake n chips !!

teenybash
15-Jan-09, 23:03
I didn't see the programme as I would have found it too distressings to watch...............when it comes to eating meat, I don't and it will stay that way. Sorry to say but the human race is barbarous and at times I am ashamed of my fellow men..............:(

changilass
15-Jan-09, 23:05
mmmm snake n chips !!

How would you like that cooked sir? :lol:

Kenn
15-Jan-09, 23:41
I watched it too and although there were certain things that I would not eat, when you have a population that does not have the facilities for commercial farming or the wherewithall to pop along to the supermarket, which they most probably don't have anyway, who are we to criticise them if they eat what is available?
When it comes down to the bare bones,pardon my pun, it is food.

golach
16-Jan-09, 00:10
While I was at sea my ship called into a place called Balikpapan on the Island of Borneo, where some of the crew became very friendly with the locals, as a result we were invited to their homes, which was a bamboo houses on stilts at the edge of the jungle, the hospitality was great, the meal was cooked on a fire on the ground, and when served the meat was wrapped in banana leaves which had been cooked on the fire. The meat was delicious, tasted like chicken and was a little darker, I like a fool asked our host what it was, he laughed and pointed up into the trees, to some monkeys swinging about and said them!!!!! I went green and had to run into the jungle and I threw up a perfectly good meal, the thought of eating a monkey was too much.
What did I learn from that, if it tastes good never enquire what it is.

Aaldtimer
16-Jan-09, 03:49
mmmm snake n chips !!

There's a very old joke about "Snake & Pygmy Pie" ....but i won't go into it here! :cool: