PDA

View Full Version : Castle of Mey 10k

Viking Girl
14-Jan-09, 21:39
This year is the first Castle of Mey 10k, and after only having the online entry open for 10 days it is only 16 entrants away from being at the race limit of 250!! What is more amazing is that the race has captured the minds of people from Caithness, with 90% of the runners having a KW postcode:D

Last week I noticed that there was a beginner runner looking for a running partner in Thurso and it got me thinking that there will be other people looking for people to run with, will have questions about starting to run, training plans, trainers, motivation, clothes, injuries etc and if we have a thread on the forum then it will be a good way for people to get questions answered, exchange thoughts and generally find out anything that you need to know.

Viking Girl
14-Jan-09, 21:50
If you are totally new to running, then there is a training plan on the mey10k website, that will be able to build you from nothing to running continuously for 30 minutes in the space of just 8 weeks. This will then have you ready for the next plan, which will be posted at a later date, and it will have you ready for running the 10k on the 10th May.

The plan is a simple run/walk schedule and all you need is a pair of running shoes and the commitment to get out and run 3 times a week.

There is a 2 weeks built in at the end so although the plan started last week, you can still start on week 1 this week!

Tip for the running sections - you should be able to comfortably hold a conversation with someone, if you can't, you need to SLOW down and then probably slow down a bit more. One of the first mistakes a beginner can make is running too fast.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

skinnydog
14-Jan-09, 22:40
I am one of the lucky ones and got my entry in early. The website is great and I can't wait to follow the poor guinea pigs on their progress.

Lets just hope for good weather to train in as it is bad enough having to go out in the dark but I detest going out in the rain and wind!!

guitarzan
15-Jan-09, 10:49
Are there still positions available for the run at the moment? I might well join in yet if so...

Viking Girl
15-Jan-09, 20:06
Are there still positions available for the run at the moment? I might well join in yet if so...

When I checked a couple of hours there were only 25 places left!

Pony
17-Jan-09, 19:59
I too have entered for the 10k in the hope that it will make me stick to a healthy diet / fitness plan. Im totally new to running. In second week of training now (following the 10k website plan) and so far so good but have a long way to go. Running in Bower (with a head torch after dark usually), so if anyone sees strange light bobbing up and down along the back roads at a very slow speed...thats me!!:roll:

Viking Girl
18-Jan-09, 19:40
Week 3 of the training plan starts tomorrow......

Run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute. Repeat 6 times. Do this 3 times this week.

Hope all the beginners are getting on well with the training programme. Keep it up!! :D

Viking Girl
18-Jan-09, 19:41
I too have entered for the 10k in the hope that it will make me stick to a healthy diet / fitness plan. Im totally new to running. In second week of training now (following the 10k website plan) and so far so good but have a long way to go. Running in Bower (with a head torch after dark usually), so if anyone sees strange light bobbing up and down along the back roads at a very slow speed...thats me!!:roll:

Pony - glad it's going well so far :D:D

skinnydog
19-Jan-09, 14:47
Pony, I am sure that you probably are kitted out in something that is suitably hi viz, but if you are not, DO!!
I stay out of town and the amount of times I have been on the road and nearly ran into people who are not clearly visible is shocking. It is a danger not only to them but to drivers too.Good luck with your progress, it must be tough living out of town and trying to train at night. I am lucky that it only takes me a couple of minutes to drive into Thurso then I can use the street lights and can vary my route.

Pony
19-Jan-09, 19:40
Thanks Folks. Hope your training is going well too.

I have a high viz vest on (and head torch which can be seen for miles). As yet Ive only ever met one car so it isnt actually too bad. I do plan to drive through to Wick / Thurso / other places to run on some nights (more sheltered and changes of scenery). Dunnet forest might be a good place to run...but not in the dark...too spooky!!
Must buy some proper running clothes / shoes (any suggestions for a good shop/web-site gratefully received).

Viking Girl
19-Jan-09, 20:26
Being new to the org and not sure of the rules and noticing other posts about advertising, I hope I'm allowed to post this......

My recommendations for websites are wiggle (they are very good), sweatshop and startfitness. It's worth have a wee look round and seeing price wise who is cheapest if you spot a particular item that you would like.

A recommendation from one of the Castle of Mey 10k team for running clothes is Lidl - good quality clothes at very reasonable prices.

There is a new running shop opened in Inverness, run4it and although I haven't been down myself to it yet (I have used the one in Edinburgh and found them to be good), I have heard from friends that the staff are very friendly. They offer gait analysis so that you can get the most appropriate shoe for your running style, gait and foot.

I am a reasonable new runner myself, only started running 13 months ago and if I am looking for advice on a particular item of clothing, I have a look on the runners world forum to see if anyone has been posting on that item. That's where I took a recommendation recently for a wind proof jacket from and my new jacket is great!

That's a starter for 10 :D

skinnydog
21-Jan-09, 19:06
Good to see that in today's Courier they have charted the progress of two of the entrants. Made for interesting reading!!

Pony
22-Jan-09, 20:08
Good to see that in today's Courier they have charted the progress of two of the entrants. Made for interesting reading!!

It was good...its nice to hear how others or doing so I can compare my progress against them. Just started the 3min runs...in the wind and rain!!

Viking Girl
26-Jan-09, 15:14
Should be an update on the runners in the Courier every fortnight, but on the website they will be updated every week!!

It does make interesting reading and hopefully it will let other beginners know that they are not the only one feeling a certain way and encourage them to keep going!!

Have total respect for our featured runners in putting themselves out there for everyone to read how they are getting on!

Viking Girl
02-Feb-09, 22:53
Hope all the beginners training is going well.......week five already.....so this week it's......

Run 8 minutes, walk 2 minutes. Repeat 3 times, and do this 3 times a week.

Should be another article in the Courier this week with two of our featured runners, but all the progress reports on www.mey10k.co.uk :D

Pony
03-Feb-09, 19:52
Yes - Just did my first set of eight minute runs tonight. Still sticking in there (was worried I would struggle to keep it up for 8minutes but having built up gradually to it I am actually finding it quite easy). Hope Im still saying that in a few weeks time when it gets really tough!!

Viking Girl
04-Feb-09, 09:36
Yes - Just did my first set of eight minute runs tonight. Still sticking in there (was worried I would struggle to keep it up for 8minutes but having built up gradually to it I am actually finding it quite easy). Hope Im still saying that in a few weeks time when it gets really tough!!

That's good to hear that you are finding that with building it up, you are finding the 8 minutes quite easy!! Sounds like as the programme increases you will find it okay!! :D

Viking Girl
04-Feb-09, 09:45
If you are looking for something that is a bit more advanced than the beginner runner programme and are looking for a group to run with, then there is a senior running group based in Thurso, who meet four times a week.

One of the great things about running with a group is that you will gain a greater amount of confidence in your running and you will find yourself running further and faster - eventually .... :D Not to mention learning more about events, kit and other general information!

The Thurso runners are a really friendly group and they vary from very slow to very fast runners................so no matter what your running pace, you will fit in!!

Monday Night Run Club

Meet at the Caithness Cycling Club, Gerry Square. First runners start at 18:30. There is a self imposed handicap. Runners start anywhere between 18:30 and 18:50. Along the Scrabster road to the Lighthouse and return.............approx. 4.5 miles.
Tea and biscuits on return:D

Tuesday Night Speed & Endurance Training

Sounds scary, but is an excellent work-out for all runners and will really improve your running.......

There is about 15 - 20 runners who meet on a Tuesday night, ALL levels of ability.

Friday Night Round the Houses.

Meet at Thurso Squash Courts 17:15-25 ish.......5.5 mile loop around Vernon, Springpark, Esplanade, Castlegreen Road, Naver, back past the college, Lovers Lane and the road bridge. All start together.

Sunday Morning, Dunnet Forest

Meet in the car-park, 10.15 for 10.30. Superb running around the masses of trails within Dunnet Forest. Multiple loops give runs ranging from 1 mile to 7 miles. Sheltered and good for your knees/hips/ankles........mostly soft underfoot taking away the pounding tarmac returns to you and gently uneven ground strengthens ankles, and provides mobility to knees and hips...........increases confidence in your running.

There will be no Dunnet Forest Run if there is a trail run. Trail runs are on 15th Feb, 1st Mar, 15th Mar, 22nd Mar and 5th April

If you are interesting in going along to any of these but not sure of turning up yourself, then send a PM and I will give you a contact so you will know someone. However as I previously said, everyone in the group is really friendly, so don't worry about appearing at one of the meets yourself, you will be made to feel very welcome!!

Pony
05-Feb-09, 22:05
Sounds good - have heard about these runs from folk at work but not yet brave enough to try them (might well struggle with 4-5miles just now as my runs are only covering half that distance). However Im hoping that by end of February I will be feeling fit enough to tackle that kind of distance so I will definately come along then. Also planning to try a 5k in March (Inverness) as a practice run if all goes well.

Viking Girl
11-Feb-09, 19:45
Trying the 5k in Inverness is a good idea - will give you the chance to see what the race atmosphere is like and it will show you how much you have come on with your running!!