PDA

View Full Version : Settle an arguement about Caithness General Hospital

lazytown
14-Jan-09, 18:42
Hey folkies,
Could some one please tell me when Caithness General Hospital actually opened?

Gizmo
14-Jan-09, 19:08
I'm not 100% sure but i think it was around 1986/7

Julia
14-Jan-09, 19:16
The Henderson Memorial Hospital was demolished in the mid seventies and I don't think CGH opened until 1984 or '85 but not too sure. I do know that births in 1982 happened in the Dunbar Hospital.

Gizmo
14-Jan-09, 19:18
Just been snooping around Google and it opened in 1986, i can't find a more specific date than that.

rs 2k
14-Jan-09, 22:15
It was after march anyway, coz my daughter was born in march 86 and that was at the Dunbar [lol]

Fran
15-Jan-09, 01:00
Just been snooping around Google and it opened in 1986, i can't find a more specific date than that.

I have a vide of the official opening with the date on etc, when I find it, i will let you know. there is a plaque in recption area of the hospital which gives the date.

dirdyweeker
15-Jan-09, 01:27
The 'old Bignold Hospital' closed and the move to the new Bignold Wing was on the 1st december 1986.

jay
15-Jan-09, 13:43
pretty sure the official opening was August 1986 (Queen Mum) Radio Remedy (the hospital radio station started not long after. I'm sure there is a brass plate in the hospital foyer with the details on it.

fingalmacool
15-Jan-09, 15:11
Apparently it was designed 14 years before they dug the found, so a lot off ideas went out the window when they were building the tin roofed shed. Speaking of windows, if you stand to the right of the front entrance you will see a window that is blacked out next to the centre section, this was one window too many, so they just plasterboarded over it on the inside. There are too many hicupps to mention, but another doozer was partitions being built right in the middle of windows, it can be sadly said that it was concrete proof that too many chiefs/cooks and all tha twaddle really did make working there a scream.:confused

dirdyweeker
15-Jan-09, 15:17
pretty sure the official opening was August 1986 (Queen Mum) Radio Remedy (the hospital radio station started not long after. I'm sure there is a brass plate in the hospital foyer with the details on it.

Yes, that was the official opening of the CGH.

Fran
15-Jan-09, 17:01
Radio Remedy was going before the official opening and a programme was relayed all around the hospital when the Queen mother officially opened it, and was interviewed. I have a casstte recording of it.

butterfly
15-Jan-09, 17:23
the hospital was up and running a long time before the official opening.

dirdyweeker
15-Jan-09, 18:29
Yes it was up and running before the official opening by the late Queen Mother. Remember part of the hospital was already in use and existence before this.

Fly
18-Jan-09, 00:07
The present "Queen Elizabeth" wing of the hospital was originally the Central Hospital.

butterfly
18-Jan-09, 00:21
i was one of many who got to shake queenmothers hand when she opened the general hospital.each lobby next to the lifts was decked out in flowers like a florists.all the patients from queen elizabeth wing were sitting waiting for her to visit them but sadly she was running late and they never got to see her because she had to go back to her castle.the old folk were clearly dissapointed,felt sad for them.

Fran
18-Jan-09, 02:39
Alistair Fraser and I did that programme, interviewed the Queen mother, she wore a green outfit, that was the first time i met her.

speedo215
18-Jan-09, 11:53
well it was after may 86 anyway as that is when i was born and i was born in dunbar as cgh was not ready then