PDA

View Full Version : When will the Highland Council....

Julia
14-Jan-09, 17:21
...or whoever it is take down the Christmas decorations in Wick? Not only are they still up but they are still lit up too, maybe that can't be controlled as they probably come on with the street lighting but come on HC get 'em back in the loft! :D

trix
14-Jan-09, 17:27
i stood an watched aboot 20 council guys putin them up...wonder how many til take them doon :lol:

dirdyweeker
14-Jan-09, 17:38
Is it not volunteers who put them up? If so perhaps they are going to finish the job next weekend in their spare time. If it is the Council, perhaps they are busy catching up with problems that arose over the festive break.
No doubt they will be done it is just a matter of when it's possible.

trix
14-Jan-09, 17:43
Is it not volunteers who put them up?

dirdyweeker - da be silly!!!

what wi all 'e health an safety regulations on 'e go these days, ye cana hev any numpty putin up or takin doon decorations.

cum ayie min :Razz

Julia
14-Jan-09, 17:47
I'm pretty sure it's done by council employees although it's probably paid for by the Christmas lighting committee/fund/people, in other words I haven't scooby!

dirdyweeker
14-Jan-09, 17:50
well, last year the lights attached to the lamp posts were put up by volunteers via the HAPPY group.

trix
14-Jan-09, 17:54
weel i howp they kent fit they were doin...hed 'e relevant trainin an stuff :D

trix
14-Jan-09, 17:55
didna think ye wis allowed til go over 3 feet in 'e air withoot a scaffold :roll:

Macwull
14-Jan-09, 18:30
The christmas lights is all put up by volunteers. I'm sure they'd be glad of help!!! They usually do it on sundays as there is less traffic. To turn the christmas lights off would be just as much work as taking it down (Unless you want the street lights off too!!) So im sure if you give them a little more time they will all be gone soon!

MacWull

Ojibwa
14-Jan-09, 18:41
...or whoever it is take down the Christmas decorations in Wick? Not only are they still up but they are still lit up too, maybe that can't be controlled as they probably come on with the street lighting but come on HC get 'em back in the loft! :D

Why? Surely in the doom and gloom of winter, they add a little light and cheeriness to the high street. Think of them as winter lights. ;)

router
14-Jan-09, 19:50
Why? Surely in the doom and gloom of winter, they add a little light and cheeriness to the high street. Think of them as winter lights. ;)

My sentiments exactly. just seems though some people obviously lost the holiday cheer as soon as december left. Makes the town look surprisingly inviting.:lol:

celtic 302
14-Jan-09, 19:54
The christmas lights are put up by volunteers, and although these people may work for the council, they do this in their spare time. So you'd think they will come down this weekend.

Penelope Pitstop
14-Jan-09, 20:10
I was passing through Traill street in Thurso last Wednesday morning at 0640 and came across the council van with the personnel lift attached to it - looked as if they were taking some down. Haven't looked since to see if they're still there - will look next time passing!!!

Rourkee
14-Jan-09, 21:16
well, last year the lights attached to the lamp posts were put up by volunteers via the HAPPY group.

The christmas lights (in Wick) are put up, maintained and taken down by volunteers with the kind donation of operators and machines from local contractors. They have nothing to do with the HAPPY group although they are quite jovial!!
This year they and some of their contractor colleagues have been struck down by the unpleasant flu virus doing the rounds leaving only one machine and a handfull of bodies to take the lights down last Sunday!
They will however be out to remove the offending lights as soon as they are fit to do so.

If you see them why not stop and offer a helping hand I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Kirdon
14-Jan-09, 21:37
The christmas lights (in Wick) are put up, maintained and taken down by volunteers with the kind donation of operators and machines from local contractors. They have nothing to do with the HAPPY group although they are quite jovial!!
This year they and some of their contractor colleagues have been struck down by the unpleasant flu virus doing the rounds leaving only one machine and a handfull of bodies to take the lights down last Sunday!
They will however be out to remove the offending lights as soon as they are fit to do so.

If you see them why not stop and offer a helping hand I'm sure they would appreciate it.

On yoursell Rourke, about time we got some facts on here. When I pass the "volunteers" I always give a cheery wave and as stated they are a very "jovial" bunch.

Julia
14-Jan-09, 22:48

Do you think they'd let me control the lift thingy?;) Don't get me wrong, I don't find the lights offending, it's just dragging on a bit now and I forgot about the flu that's struck lately.

fingalmacool
15-Jan-09, 01:05
I totally agree the Council can sometimes do overkill, but all I can say is,THE WORKING CLASS CAN KISS MY ASS COZ I HAVE A GOVERNMENT JOB AT LAST..... NO RECESSION HERE I MIGHT ADD.:confused

trix
15-Jan-09, 02:04
The christmas lights (in Wick) are put up, maintained and taken down by volunteers with the kind donation of operators and machines from local contractors.

i da understand 'iss statement...so who is actually doin 'e work? 'e operators (workmen) or 'e volunteers? what part do 'e volunteers play in 'e whole operation?
an i da believe that workmen are getin oot o' their bieds really early in 'e mornin or goin oot efter their tea at nite til put up an take doon decorations - for free!! :eek:

id be highly surprised if they did...infact i think i wid fall off ma chair!

no they widna, they wid tell ye til ''put 'at doon an leave things alone, now get oot'a here!!'' [evil]

probly a few swear words thrown in....

leave'ed til 'e experts guys...those who im assumin are getin paid ;)

ar1ling
15-Jan-09, 02:23
i don't mind the christmas lights off but i really hope the street lights will always be lit there in the town.if the christmas' decoration doesn't mean something bad, i hope they are there all through the year, that make me feel like everyday is Christmas Day:D

Kirdon
15-Jan-09, 13:46
i da understand 'iss statement...so who is actually doin 'e work? 'e operators (workmen) or 'e volunteers? what part do 'e volunteers play in 'e whole operation?
an i da believe that workmen are getin oot o' their bieds really early in 'e mornin or goin oot efter their tea at nite til put up an take doon decorations - for free!! :eek:

id be highly surprised if they did...infact i think i wid fall off ma chair!

no they widna, they wid tell ye til ''put 'at doon an leave things alone, now get oot'a here!!'' [evil]

probly a few swear words thrown in....

leave'ed til 'e experts guys...those who im assumin are getin paid ;)

In Wick the volunteers do all the work for free, early mornings and late evenings included, also for a few months before christmas they are in their little workshop preparing and repairing the lights (still for free) there is also the comitee who throughout the whole year are working at raising funds (all for free). Elevating platforms etc were provided this year(for free) by Hugh Simpson, MM Miller, Hydro electric, Openreach and Davie Dunnet joinery, Some people still have comunity spirit.
No help would be refused and certainly not by using swear words

Murdina Bug
15-Jan-09, 14:48
Why is it that it's volunteers that put up and take down the lights in Wick when in Thurso it's the Council workers?

Tighsonas4
15-Jan-09, 18:24
it would be some help if they hauled santas grooto out of the market square in wick.dont think he will be using it till next year [lol] tony

trix
15-Jan-09, 18:28
In Wick the volunteers do all the work for free, early mornings and late evenings included, also for a few months before christmas they are in their little workshop preparing and repairing the lights (still for free) there is also the comitee who throughout the whole year are working at raising funds (all for free). Elevating platforms etc were provided this year(for free) by Hugh Simpson, MM Miller, Hydro electric, Openreach and Davie Dunnet joinery, Some people still have comunity spirit.
No help would be refused and certainly not by using swear words

well, excuse me til i pick masel up fie 'e groond (an put rite ma chair) :D

am shocked, stunned an amazed at 'e generosity o' these 'volunteers'. talk aboot self sufficient eh - 2 fingers up til 'e government :cool:
cheers for sortin me oot on 'at aine kirdon.

i da ken how am so amazed cause iv always said that weik hes 'e nicest o' people that ye'l ever meet'.
i guess that these days 'e 'bad stuff' is highlighted til such an extent that it overshadows 'e overwhelmin 'guid stuff' that goes on.

guid stuff til all those involved - power til 'e people eh ;)

Kirdon
15-Jan-09, 18:57
it would be some help if they hauled santas grooto out of the market square in wick.dont think he will be using it till next year [lol] tony

As stated on a previous post the volunteers are short staffed due to flu. Give them a chance!. Or go down and offer to move it for them.

trix
15-Jan-09, 19:09
il gie ye a han' tony ;)

Pepsix
17-Jan-09, 20:26
Why is it that it's volunteers that put up and take down the lights in Wick when in Thurso it's the Council workers?

The council staff who take them up and put them down in Thurso are also volunteering their time. They may work for the lighting department but they are doing it in their own time usually very early morning or Sundays.

The council pay for and put up the 'sockets' on the lamp posts in every community that asks for them but it is the community throughout the Highland communities who raise the funding for, maintain, put up and take down the christmas tree lights.

Well done to all the volunteers who make the town and villages sparkle at Christmas time. :Razz

Margaret M.
18-Jan-09, 05:22
Trix, you're not alone in thinking that the council workers got paid for this. It's a huge undertaking and they obviously contribute their time very quietly every year since so few seem to know that it is volunteers who do it. WTG, volunteers in both towns!

JAWS
18-Jan-09, 08:25
I could be wrong but I doubt they will be taking them down today, it's blowing a hooligan. I certainly wouldn't be going up to remove them, even with a platform.

trix
18-Jan-09, 11:55
I could be wrong but I doubt they will be taking them down today, it's blowing a hooligan. I certainly wouldn't be going up to remove them, even with a platform.

ats where yer wrong jaws....am standin watchin 2 council guys takin them doon rite now, across fie ma hoose....

am tempted til go oot an offer them a cup o' tea :lol:

if i never still hed ma jamys on an ma hair wisna lek a whinn bush i wid!

Kirdon
18-Jan-09, 14:12
ats where yer wrong jaws....am standin watchin 2 council guys takin them doon rite now, across fie ma hoose....

am tempted til go oot an offer them a cup o' tea :lol:

if i never still hed ma jamys on an ma hair wisna lek a whinn bush i wid!

A gies a brek! its no concil guys it was volenteers ho dinnae work for e cooncil an hev never worked for e cooncil, and I'm sure if you brushed your hair and took off your "jamys" the guys would have been delighted.

trix
18-Jan-09, 14:33
A gies a brek! its no concil guys it was volenteers ho dinnae work for e cooncil an hev never worked for e cooncil,

aw rite, aw rite...keep yer hair on mister....(or missus) :cool:

and I'm sure if you brushed your hair and took off your "jamys" the guys would have been delighted.

am prity sure if i ''took off ma jamys'' an went oot wi a cup o' tea they wid be delited....

tho am prity sure i wid feel'ed a bit cowld lek :lol: :Razz

DeHaviLand
18-Jan-09, 14:42
Keep the jammies on Trix, volunteers shouldn't be subjected to that level of cruelty ;)

Rourkee
18-Jan-09, 15:15

Santas grotto was hauled away as well as all the remaining lights taken down this morning. Thanks to all the extra people that gave the boys a hand today.......no one, once again quick to criticise slow to help!

trix
18-Jan-09, 15:35
Keep the jammies on Trix, volunteers shouldn't be subjected to that level of cruelty ;)

ats us feneshd de-hav....oh an i hed such plans for us.....:(

Santas grotto was hauled away as well as all the remaining lights taken down this morning. Thanks to all the extra people that gave the boys a hand today.......no one, once again quick to criticise slow to help!

am assumin that ye were helpin oot yersel aye?

i da think ye hev 'e proper definition o' what a 'volunteer' means....

''a person who freely offers til do somethin, o' their own free will''

it is not ''a person who gets bullied intil doin somethin against their will, through the power o' sheer guilt''

up until 'e ither day most o' us wis under 'e impression that it wis 'e council bies that did it....obviously we hev been put straight on 'e matter but it disna gie ye 'e right til try an make people feel bad that they didna do anythin' til help...

i wid say, 'cum doon of yer highhorse an dina make judgement on people ye know nothin aboot'

we'v all aready said how much we appreciate the volunteers for their hard work...what do ye want?

..............................blood??

floyed
18-Jan-09, 16:23
Trix
am assumin that ye were helpin oot yersel aye?

i da think ye hev 'e proper definition o' what a 'volunteer' means....

''a person who freely offers til do somethin, o' their own free will''

it is not ''a person who gets bullied intil doin somethin against their will, through the power o' sheer guilt''

up until 'e ither day most o' us wis under 'e impression that it wis 'e council bies that did it....obviously we hev been put straight on 'e matter but it disna gie ye 'e right til try an make people feel bad that they didna do anythin' til help...

i wid say, 'cum doon of yer highhorse an dina make judgement on people ye know nothin aboot'

we'v all aready said how much we appreciate the volunteers for their hard work...what do ye want?

..............................blood??[/quote]

Well said Trix:D

Tighsonas4
18-Jan-09, 17:54
il gie ye a han' tony ;)
no bother kid the noise there making on here maybe they should call in e army we hed a contractor who would move garden sheds in e dark [lol] tony

tommytool
21-Jan-09, 05:50
i would of thought with the amount of council tax i'v paid over the years mr brown would help out a bit more. remember its our money....
also... a wise man told me that becaues the decorations were up too long we'l all have bad luck for years:~(