PDA

View Full Version : Marshmallow Plant.

cuddlepop
04-Feb-06, 16:43
mine is sprouting fresh green shoots but a havent cut it back .Was waiting till spring .Is it going to die on me if i cut it back just now .What should i do?:roll:

Ricco
04-Feb-06, 19:44
Hi, Cuddlepops.

By Marshmallow plant do you mean the Lavetera? If so you would be best waiting until around March at the earliest - spring is their normal pruning time. Thin out the growth a bit, cutting some main stems out just above the ground. Cut back the remaining branches by about 1/3rd.

Ricco

2little2late
04-Feb-06, 23:50
mine is sprouting fresh green shoots but a havent cut it back .Was waiting till spring .Is it going to die on me if i cut it back just now .What should i do?:roll:

Think you'll find that with the mild weather we are having, a lot of plants are sprouting new shoots now. I remember years ago when I was a bairn, plants never actually started sprouting until the spring.

cuddlepop
14-Feb-06, 13:55
Thank you both for your replys.What i'm afraid of is if ther's a cold snap like last year that was in late spring would it kill off the new growth,so would have to cut the plant right back?:grin:

2little2late
14-Feb-06, 17:32
You will be quite safe to cut it back now.

cuddlepop
17-Feb-06, 14:08
Thank you,its a gorgeous day here so will spend sometime in the garden.Need to wrap up though as out of the sun its freezing:o)

Ricco
29-Mar-06, 20:07
Hi, Cuddlepops. Hope the shrub is surviving OK. I pruned back my apple and pear trees a week ago, so I am also hoping they survive any severe cold spells but these are not likely now.

Mother Bear
01-Apr-06, 15:02
It is still a bit risky cutting back and pruning up here. Yes it was a lovely warm afternoon last Monday, and you get all keen to go out gardening, but now this w/end has gone really cold again! I try to be patient and wait a few more weeks but it can be very difficult!