PDA

View Full Version : whale ...... trinkie

elamanya
14-Jan-09, 00:15
while out walking the dog this afternoon about 3 o clock i spotted a whale , well its fin , it was a traingular fin and it was veryb erect did any one else see this today ?

TBH
14-Jan-09, 00:20
while out walking the dog this afternoon about 3 o clock i spotted a whale , well its fin , it was a traingular fin and it was veryb erect did any one else see this today ?That was my surfboard, I forgot to take it home with me.

elamanya
14-Jan-09, 00:27
dam i got all excited over a bit of fibreglass...... on a more serious note i have looked at a few websites and im sure it was a female orca

TBH
14-Jan-09, 00:31
dam i got all excited over a bit of fibreglass...... on a more serious note i have looked at a few websites and im sure it was a female orcaYou are quite right, there have been sightings of whale around that area. What species I can't recall.

Tugmistress
14-Jan-09, 00:32
if it was a big black upright triangle (for want of a better description) then yes it would be an orca, differences between male and female i can't tell you but maybe seabird or kas will when they see this thread :D

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-09, 01:06
Well i can speak whale so i can go speak to it if you want? :lol::lol::lol:

Kevin Milkins
14-Jan-09, 01:25
while out walking the dog this afternoon about 3 o clock i spotted a whale , well its fin , it was a traingular fin and it was veryb erect did any one else see this today ?

Would an orca fit in the trinkie? ;)

TBH
14-Jan-09, 01:26
Would an orca fit in the trinkie? ;)Aye, if it was an Or. It only adds the ca when it is older.:lol:

Gizmo
14-Jan-09, 01:45
Could have been my ex-wife out for a swim :lol:

Kevin Milkins
14-Jan-09, 01:50
Could have been my ex-wife out for a swim :lol:

Ouch.,she will be delighted with that one Gizmo:lol:

Is she not an orger? ;)

Gizmo
14-Jan-09, 01:56
Ouch.,she will be delighted with that one Gizmo:lol:

Is she not an orger? ;)

No...she's an Ogre :lol:

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-09, 01:57
No...she's an Ogre :lol:

:eek: I was gonna say that but didna want to be cheeky!! Darn!! :lol:

Gizmo
14-Jan-09, 01:59
:eek: I was gonna say that but didna want to be cheeky!! Darn!! :lol:

Ye ken her asweel do ye? :lol:

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-09, 02:08
Ye ken her asweel do ye? :lol:

Could have sworn i saw her in a few movies! [lol]

ett23
14-Jan-09, 14:17

I'm sure I saw 4 black triangular fins in Thurso bay last year, and I also thought they were orca after looking round the web - they were very tall and erect. Trinkie is pretty deep so it could have been a whale. How close to shore was it?

kas
14-Jan-09, 23:13
An errect fin sounds male, females are more sickled like a dolphins. They are large animals, but have been seen around the Trinke before.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=47996
First post is of a male and a female. The male being the larger fin.

Cetaceans are mainly recorded during summer months in Caithness, however many could go undetected in winter due to poor sea conditions, and also a lack of people looking.

There were a few hundred Orca in the North Sea east of Shetland this autumn, and it has been suggested some may come to the Coast of Shetland in January looking for the grey seal pups that are just taking to the water, there are grey seal pups down the east coast of Wick so they could be looking for them, as we know the Orca come here in early summer to exploit the Common seal pups..

This is very interesting and thankyou elamanya for posting.
Now where is Seabird to we get his opinion.

elamanya
14-Jan-09, 23:43
it was about 500mts from the rocks and ,the fin was out the water for about a minute as it was heading towards the north . have checked a few more websites and yup im more than positive it was a orca.

Seabird
15-Jan-09, 20:55
Not a lot i can add to what you have said Kas.
Apart from the fact that Killer Whales were sighted on the 2nd Jan off Shetland this year.
Killer Whales were seen feeding on Greys in the Firth of Forth at this time a few years back.
We know they seem to travel back and forth around the Islands and the Caithness coast so it's worth keeping an eye out for them.
Although the weather over the next few days wont help.

http://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk/ click on "sightings" then "sightings form"
or PM details to me.

You can also report your sightings in the Biodiversity section of the forum.

Colin Bird
Seawatch Foundation
Coordinator
Caithness to Cromarty

Seabird
15-Jan-09, 22:06
Just read a report of 1 male 2 female Orcas miday 14th Jan 2009 off South Ronalsay Orkney.

Colin

Not a lot i can add to what you have said Kas.
Apart from the fact that Killer Whales were sighted on the 2nd Jan off Shetland this year.
Killer Whales were seen feeding on Greys in the Firth of Forth at this time a few years back.
We know they seem to travel back and forth around the Islands and the Caithness coast so it's worth keeping an eye out for them.
Although the weather over the next few days wont help.

http://www.seawatchfoundation.org.uk/ click on "sightings" then "sightings form"
or PM details to me.

You can also report your sightings in the Biodiversity section of the forum.

Colin Bird
Seawatch Foundation
Coordinator
Caithness to Cromarty