PDA

View Full Version : Who's a bird brain then!

Kenn
13-Jan-09, 19:23
Was sitting by Castletown harbour this afternoon happily watching a Red Breasted Merganser and a couple of Northern Divers when amongst the usual hoy paloy I noticed a couple of unusual gulls.
Grab the bird books that are littering the dash board and narrow the choice down to two, still not satisfied tell OH to drive round to the car park.Out I clamber, hop, skipping and jumping not being in my retinue these days!
After a long walk down the beach towards the shore line, disturbing the Ringed Plovers.Curlews, Heron and a Red Shank, do my commando impression towards said birds.
Well hardly commando as I am wearing a bright yellow and blue weatherproof.
Manage to put the birds up and bingo, black bar to end of tail, choice now limited to one bird.
Two not so common Common Gullls.

gleeber
13-Jan-09, 21:15
Talking about bird brains I threw a few whole slices of bread into the back garden this morning. Eventually after a number of starlings and a few sparrows had their pickings a few young gulls arrived on the scene and 2 of them had the remaining 2 slices in their beaks. By this time a few more gulls had arrived and were attempting to wrestle one of the slices of bread from one of the gulls beaks. Seeing this, the gull who was being left alone dropped his slice of bread and joined in the general melee of trying to get the slice of bread from the first gull. Meanwhile the slice of bread he dropped was being fought over in another corner of the garden and he ended up with none.