PDA

View Full Version : A song that everyone can agree on is good?

Kenneth
13-Jan-09, 14:18
Is there such a thing??

I put forward to you a suggestion:

Johnny Cash - Hurt

veekay
13-Jan-09, 14:29
Nine inch nails is so so much better

Kenneth
13-Jan-09, 14:40
As long as you like the Johnny Cash version its fine as it doesnt shoot me down in flames!

Not heard the NIN version, not a huge fan of NIN myself but Trent is quite a good song writer.

loganbiffy
13-Jan-09, 14:50
Nine inch nails is so so much better

Agreed.
The Original NIN version just blows Cashs' cover out the water.
I don't mind JC's version though.

veekay
13-Jan-09, 17:00
Try and have a listen to NIN see if you agree Kenneth.

Mystical Potato Head
13-Jan-09, 17:56
Nine Inch Nails : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eX8Lmcrm5sU&feature=related

Johnny Cash : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9dbmJ_2zU

I like both versions, but if you made me pick, I'd probably say NIN's version is my favourite, even with that weird B chord lol.

Lyle

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jan-09, 18:00
A song that everyone can agree on is good? What a burden. That's not a song name by the way :)

Chobbersjnr
13-Jan-09, 20:00
That's not a song name by the way :)

it is now;)

I personally prefer Linton "Super Elvis" Osbourne's version. One acoustic a drumkit & a tele going through a POG!!!!!!

Metalattakk
13-Jan-09, 23:54
Nine Inch Nails : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eX8Lmcrm5sU&feature=related

Johnny Cash : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9dbmJ_2zU

I like both versions, but if you made me pick, I'd probably say NIN's version is my favourite, even with that weird B chord lol.

Lyle

Listening to both those, in my mind there's no doubt Johnny Cash takes Reznor's original and makes it absolutely his own. The NIN version doesn't have the emotion or the vocal clarity that the Man In Black gives it.

Johnny Cash was suffering the latter stages of terminal cancer when he recorded that song. As an epitaph, it's a masterpiece and a fitting tribute to the man.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jan-09, 02:38
it is now;)

I personally prefer Linton "Super Elvis" Osbourne's version. One acoustic a drumkit & a tele going through a POG!!!!!!

Aye, no many bands kickin' aroond with that kindeh line-up nowadays :)

loganbiffy
14-Jan-09, 03:53
The NIN version doesn't have the emotion.

I find this statement disturbing considering Trent wrote it, the lyrics are his and mean something to him, there is shedloads of emotion in there.

If it didn't have any emotion as you say would Cash have been attracted to the song in the first place?

Metalattakk
14-Jan-09, 04:08
I find this statement disturbing considering Trent wrote it, the lyrics are his and mean something to him, there is shedloads of emotion in there.

If that were true, why do I feel Mr Cash's version is intrinsically better? Is it because JC put a lot more emotion into his recording?

If it didn't have any emotion as you say would Cash have been attracted to the song in the first place?

Do you think Johnny Cash was spending his last few months on this earth traipsing trough NIN recordings looking for a great song to cover?

The bottom line is that someone saw this as a great opportunity for JC to adapt a song for his own end. And adapt it he undoubtedly did.

And more importantly, he adapted the song to a degree that elevated it above the original. Which shouldn't be a slight on Reznor or NIN. He just took their song and made it better.

loganbiffy
14-Jan-09, 04:18
Is it because JC put a lot more emotion into his recording?

I see the statements you make never seem to be your opinion but based on fact. ;)

The bottom line is that someone saw this as a great opportunity for JC to adapt a song for his own end. And adapt it he undoubtedly did.

And more importantly, he adapted the song to a degree that elevated it above the original. Which shouldn't be a slight on Reznor or NIN. He just took their song and made it better.

I agree, he absolutely adapted the song and made it his own, however to say it is better is again only an opinion.

I disagree about JCs' version being elevated above the NIN version, as I much prefer the original, again this is only an opinion and not based on fact.

hotrod4
14-Jan-09, 07:39
But isnt the fact that Most people people prefer Jeff Buckleys hallelujah to the original just the same thing?
I prefer JC's version but that doesnt mean that NIN's isnt any good. Its just JC seems to express it in a way that more people like and his illness gave the song a more poignancy.I find it a very moving but simple song.It just cries out emotion at you and you can "feel" his pain when he sings it.
Doesnt mean NIN arent any good at it, just means JC maybe seen something that the writer didnt?

guitarzan
14-Jan-09, 09:10
Quote taken from an interview with Trent Reznor, when asked what he found inspiring about Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt":-

"It reminded me of the power of music. Something that I made in my room, that came out of my little private backyard -- to have an icon like Johnny Cash juxtapose it into something that now, especially with the aid of that video, gives it a whole different set of scenery and a backdrop and a context to listen to it in. It works. And it probably works better than my version."

For me, I certainly prefer Cash's version but I suppose you have to take into account that Reznor had written these lyrics and music in the first place and this was something that was borne out of pure anguish. It was therapy for what he was going through at the time and so the emotion is evident.

The fact that Cash had such a well publicised rollercoster of a life (thanks in a massive way to the "Walk The Line" film) only helped to add to the atmosphere of the song, and along with the video made it almost seem autobiographical and that the song was meant for him - particularly given his illness at the time and the stage of life he was at.

Metalattakk
14-Jan-09, 12:46
I see the statements you make never seem to be your opinion but based on fact. ;)

Everything I post here is only my opinion. If you see it as fact, that's your problem, and I take no responsibility for it. ;)

I agree, he absolutely adapted the song and made it his own, however to say it is better is again only an opinion.

I disagree about JCs' version being elevated above the NIN version, as I much prefer the original, again this is only an opinion and not based on fact.

And an opinion you're more than welcome to. :D

loganbiffy
14-Jan-09, 13:11
Whatever version anyone prefers doesn't really matter, if it wasn't written by Reznor then there wouldn't be any other version.
Like I said earlier, I like JC's version, I have nothing against it at all, I just prefer the original.

And all the talk about the original having no emotion is just nonsense. How can lyrics of that caliber have no emotion put into them?

Anyways, enjoy the song whichever version you listen to, cause it's a ruddy good song :)

Invisible
14-Jan-09, 14:56
500 Miles - Proclaimers or Loch Lomond - Runrig.

this is a really hard question.

buddyrich
14-Jan-09, 15:29
Sledgehammer-Peter Gabriel.

guitarzan
14-Jan-09, 15:33
Sledgehammer!

Not heard that tune in years - the video was excellent

Kenneth
14-Jan-09, 16:02
HAhahaha sledgehammer, yes, i do love that song!!

Runrig's Loch Lomond though, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, heard it too many times in Skinandis, Skins ruins many a song for me, including my favourite band, Kings of Leon, Sex on Fire!

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jan-09, 16:46
Sledgehammer: JBiA without the vocals.

hotrod4
14-Jan-09, 19:01
Sledgehammer seems to be the "In tune" at the moment!![lol]
think I'll sample it and use it on my next hip hop tune, guaranteed to be a No1 then.:lol:Come to think of it,it has a lethal hook that is just asking to be ripped.

The best song in the world?- http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=USYJqITamo0&feature=channel_page , I introduced this song to Caithness when Chill Fm were up and I was spinning vinyl like metalattak getting brasso'd up for a Saturday Night oot!!!!![lol] Had it on White Label(thats a white labelled plastic record thats for Dj's only to all the Cd massive out there who've never seen vinyl) lol

buddyrich
14-Jan-09, 21:30
Even better-Harem Scarem by Focus.

Seeing them in april! Canna wait!

Kenneth
19-Jan-09, 15:05
at strict stomp tune sickens me!!

guitarzan
19-Jan-09, 15:29
yeah i agree kenneth :s

hotrod4
19-Jan-09, 18:30
yeah i agree kenneth :s
You love it really!!!;) It was good at the time, admiteddly it has dated but all them whipper snappers that are barely over the age of consent can hear it for the first time and thinks its scoooooooooooooottttttttteeeeeerrrrrrrrr!![lol]

Saveman
22-Jan-09, 14:19
U2 - One

Accept no substitutes.

Kenneth
23-Jan-09, 14:05
not a massive fan of U2, and nah not a song that i particularly like! sorry! i lek sunday bloody sunday tho

guitarzan
23-Jan-09, 15:36
sunday bloody sunday is a fantastic tune