PDA

View Full Version : British Troops in Iraq

lorraine_2406
04-Feb-06, 12:05
Was just wondering everyones veiws on the british troops in iraq my husband is at the moment on operational tour over there in basra with the highlanders and we lost one of our boys this week also a soldier from the scots dragoon guards who had a wife and 3 children whats everyones thoughts on what is happening in iraq

Royster1911
04-Feb-06, 12:23
Having been in the Highlanders ( Queens Own ) for 15 yr, I know what it`s like for our boys to be away on ops and away from our loved ones. The first thing that comes back to me is that we needed the support from our family and our government. This was always good for our moral. The media was mostly supporting us in NI but there was always one or two of the tabloids having a go about our role on our deployment. I have to say that I feel for the boys in Iraq but this is what we all signed on the dotted line for. I hope all goes well for your husband and all his comrades and they have a safe return home. God speed.

lorraine_2406
04-Feb-06, 13:25
Having been in the Highlanders ( Queens Own ) for 15 yr, I know what it`s like for our boys to be away on ops and away from our loved ones. The first thing that comes back to me is that we needed the support from our family and our government. This was always good for our moral. The media was mostly supporting us in NI but there was always one or two of the tabloids having a go about our role on our deployment. I have to say that I feel for the boys in Iraq but this is what we all signed on the dotted line for. I hope all goes well for your husband and all his comrades and they have a safe return home. God speed. Yes i fully understand when you say they signed on that dotted line but our boys shouldnt be there it isnt our war how many more are going to get killed before the goverment do something about it some of our boys are over there to train the iraqis but even they are turning against the british troops they just dont want the british in iraqi all our boys are to tony blair is a number and dont care about the hurt he is causing families i know the soldiers have a duty to there country but that is not one of them.

DrSzin
04-Feb-06, 14:08
I'm afraid it is our war because we started it, together with the Americans, of course.

It must be tough for a soldier serving in Iraq knowing that a lot of the UK population think he shouldn't be there in the first place. Having said that, it is surely possible to be against the war but to be in full personal support of UK troops and their families and friends. Lorraine, I very much hope that your husband and all his colleagues return home safely. It must be very hard for you right now, so I hope more Orgers will be able to provide you with company and moral support on here. Hang on in there -- we're on your side!

Highland Laddie
04-Feb-06, 14:44
I'm afraid it is our war because we started it, together with the Americans, of course.

It must be tough for a soldier serving in Iraq knowing that a lot of the UK population think he shouldn't be there in the first place. Having said that, it is surely possible to be against the war but to be in full personal support of UK troops and their families and friends. Lorraine, I very much hope that your husband and all his colleagues return home safely. It must be very hard for you right now, so I hope more Orgers will be able to provide you with company and moral support on here. Hang on in there -- we're on your side!

Well said that man, agree 100%

Royster1911
04-Feb-06, 14:56
If the soldiers on op`s throughout the world do not have support from their nearest and dearest, then who do they get the support from?
I dont recall Hitler requesting the presence of Brittish troops on his soil. We were not at war with Germany but, like the USA (although a wee bit later) joined in because we were seeing our democracy going down the pan. Our troops defended that and are continuing to do so in difficult circumstances. It`s not a question of should they be their, but to support them whatever the op`s they are deployed to.

golach
04-Feb-06, 15:28

I am behind you 100% Doc, and Lorraine my sympathies to you and yours, we are all rooting for them to come home safely

wickerinca
04-Feb-06, 16:11
The doc and royster have said it like it is. Sending good thoughts and support to your husband and his comrades....they are doing a great job in a very difficult situation and we all hope for their safe return. A big hug to you Lorraine as I can't think of anything to say that would ease your burden.

cuddlepop
04-Feb-06, 16:34
I do understand how you feel .Iwas so relieved when my son decided not to sign up.:roll:
On reflection that was wrong because if know one sighned up where would we be.:roll:
You should be very proud of your husband,its a very selfless thing he does:o)

lorraine_2406
04-Feb-06, 16:42
Thankyou to all of you for your kind thoughts all us families in germany are counting the days down until the boys are home safley