PDA

View Full Version : the law!! plz no anti0boyracer comments!!

saxovtr
03-Feb-06, 23:12
heres a question for the knowledgeable 1s,cops pulled a m8 over tonite sed the exhaust is makni excessive noise and its classed as anti social behavour,FAIR ENOUGH,they want it off or silenced,MY QUESTION:WHY DO THE POLICE HAVE A METER DECIBEL METER THAT READS HOW MUCH DB THE EXHAUST IS MAKING AT AT A 3RD OF THE ENGINE SPEED?but they want any aftermarket exhaust taken off,i dont see the sense in it can any1 shine sum light in it,

landmarker
04-Feb-06, 00:05
Well if they shine a light up yer exhaust they'll probably reveal a device that makes a pee and wind machine like a Saxo sound like a powerful car.

Good luck to you, but in such a small 'catchment' area your m8 is gonna get fingered again and again until he gets it sorted.

As an ex-biker I'm partly behind the adage: 'loud pipes save lives' but there's less of a motive when your on four wheels. The best advice I'd give is er.....grow up and fit a throaty exhaust which although raspy, does not attract the attention of the lads in blue.

JAWS
04-Feb-06, 00:11
ASBOs are a new invention so much of what is covered by them is still very open to debate and interpretation.
With regards to the exhaust itself that would depend on how it had been modified and it's condition. If the exhaust is in good condition and has a silencer manufactured for use on the road then I see no reason why you should be commiting an offence with respect to it's normal use. (Of course, that would exclude such things as running it at full revs outside somebody's home, but that wouldn't appear to have happened)

Do I understand you to say they used a meter to check the decibels being produced?
If that is what happened I would check with the manufacturer to see if the readings you have been given are in line with the noise the silencer should be producing, assuming it has not been 'modified' after purchase that is.
Did the police give your friend an actual reading or was it just a matter of "That's too loud,son, if I see you again.....!"

JAWS
04-Feb-06, 00:15
I'm with you landmarker, I've never had to jump for my life because a vehicle was too noisy but the 'silent but deadly' ones have given me a few frights and I hate having to crawl out of ditches.

jjc
04-Feb-06, 00:24
MY QUESTION:WHY DO THE POLICE HAVE A METER DECIBEL METER THAT READS HOW MUCH DB THE EXHAUST IS MAKING AT AT A 3RD OF THE ENGINE SPEED?but they want any aftermarket exhaust taken off,i dont see the sense in it can any1 shine sum light in it, Well, I believe that legislation dictates that you cannot modify your exhaust in such a way as to increase the noise of the exhaust. Plain and simple, if your after-market exhaust is noisier than the original then you are breaking the law.

Why do they carry around a decibel meter? I guess that they measure the volume of the exhaust so that little neds (you know the ones - they think that taking a K-Reg Saxo, painting a yellow stripe along the bottom and whacking a big exhaust on it somehow stops anybody from noticing that they are driving around in a thirteen-year-old hatchback… oh, and getting a nedette to stand in front of it in hotpants really doesn’t hide how naff it is either) won’t have a leg to stand on when they try to argue that the policeman was just picking on them because he doesn’t like ‘boy racers’.

landmarker
04-Feb-06, 00:43
I dont think they did Saxo's in a 'k' reg jjc.

Aftermarket exhausts can emit slightly more sound than original fitments.
The sound of a well tuned engine can stir the soul, on two wheels or four.
My own two litre Audi (K reg. incidentally) has shot a baffle and sounds rather rorty in a civilised kind of way.) It's about 'sound' rather than 'noise'

If I have to explain you wouldn't understand. I know where you are coming from on this and have sympathies with both viewpoints. Common sense is called for.As much from the Police as anyone else.

Absolut1
04-Feb-06, 00:43
the police are having a month long campain on all vehicles as part of the new road traffic act, this covers all defects on a car or anything not complying to the new RTA so colour sidelights, neons, tints, etc would probably be a stoppable offence.

you can actually a fail a mot for excessive exhaust noise but as most mot stations dont have access to a decibel meter it is rare.

the form of measuring used by the MSA for noise regs is the same but the limits vary with the distance away & if i remeber right it should be done at approx 45 degress to the exhaust.

I think it probably has to do with enviormental heath as well as they usually check noisy parties etc.

2little2late
04-Feb-06, 00:53
Personally I think the noisy exhausts are a lot of a nuisance. I'm all for the police pulling anyone for having a noisy exhaust. What are these so called boy racers trying to prove?, Why have a noisy exhaust?, why modify their cars?, where do they get the money from to do it?

I hope the police really crack down on this exhaust nuisances.

saxovtr
04-Feb-06, 01:36
look i never asked if u like loud exhausts!!! they stopped and said it was too loud,it is a custom made exhaust which was expensive and the car has not long passed an MOT plus he wasnt making a noise,id liek to know why they have this meters if they dont use them and have the power to tell ppl to take them off,it is a bit noisy the higher the revs but he dosnt drive like an idiot and does no harm to any1!! infact he does not even cruise about much,id rather the opinions of those who dont liek modified cars and have to whinge about them on my post would rather not and not complain to me thanx.it is not my car iam only asking where he stands can he be made to take it off,funny thing is he has the blackest windows on the market and they didnt say a thing about it v.strange or the number plate light on the left being out,pathetic really,ive seen cars that dont even look fit for the road pass me and they dont get stopped,time to stop annoying ppl who do no harm and start doing sumfin constructive if u ask me,im sure u lot that complain wud hav sumfin to say if the coppers were busy stoping sum1 with a loud exhaust and ur house got broken into it wud be a total diff story then,ur basically saying annoy modified cars over any1else if they r out to stop cars all the time theres sumfin going wrong,all they need is traffic police:)

paris
04-Feb-06, 10:47
We've just replaced the pipes on our motorbike to make it sound more meaty but a friend who works in an mot place said keep the old pipes just in case you have to put them back on for the mot as it wouldn't pass the test now as its not standard... if that's the case why sell them??

bigjjuk
04-Feb-06, 11:19
i just think at the end of the day it is about the noise. If the levels of noise breaks the legal requirement, then the exhaust will have to be changed. It is petty by the police they are using a noise pollution law to pick on cars with modifications on it. If there is a way you can lower the noise output then I dont see a problem.

Royster1911
04-Feb-06, 12:43
In the 60s they did not have the technology available to them as they do now. On motorbikes which sounded too loud the police stuck their trunchion up the exhaust to ensure that they were not "modified". This was the practice of removing the baffles from the exhaust to get your "throaty" sound. It was the case of fix it or else!!!![evil]

garycs
04-Feb-06, 13:41
According to VOSA an aftermarket exhaust may emit 2db more noise than that quoted in the vehicle compliance report (that is the report used for UK type approval), that's roughly 50% more in terms of sound pressure. So if the police carry out the test properly, i.e. correct distance, angle, away from walls or other objects that may reflect noise; and obtain an illegal reading then there's not a great deal you can do.

However I think the police should be using only one piece of legislation, if the db reading is too high then they should use the traffic laws for enforcement and not attempt to threaten folk with the criminal system.

Personally I have no objection to "boy racers" modifying their vehicles, provided they comply with legislation. I can't see anything wrong with young men/women learning how a machine works and how to improve it, the UK exports £6bn annually via the racing/conversion industry and should be encouraged to grow.

saxovtr
04-Feb-06, 17:52
well said people,not really a boyracer myself but exhaust,air filter, etc to improve power for track days etc in this case maybe not,but the standard air filters and exhaust sytems restrict airflow so an after market exhaust lets the engine a little better well thats my theory,bigger engine more back pressure therefore more noise,in this case the car has hasdd the catalytic convertor taken off and it stil passed the MOT its only 5 years old:roll: can sum1 tell me do the police have to give a ticket for any offence?or is a verbal warning enuf to take to court for excessive noise all the times he has been stoped he has had no tickets just a warning to take things off but other people i know have been given a ticket and 21days notice to take things off,it seems to me that diff copper diff way off working thnigs but eh law is the same a bit confused on where he stands with these things.

landmarker
04-Feb-06, 18:06
We've just replaced the pipes on our motorbike to make it sound more meaty but a friend who works in an mot place said keep the old pipes just in case you have to put them back on for the mot as it wouldn't pass the test now as its not standard... if that's the case why sell them??

To relieve you of your money of course. If they dont have the BS kite mark on them they may well fail a fussy tester.
I removed the back baffle from the 800 Drifter and it began to sound like a motorbike instead of sewing machine.. An acquaintance bought some aftermarket pipes , then took all the baffles out and it was just too intrusive. Being a fairly high revving machine he was never going to ape the 'Harley beat' potato-potato sound. The fifteen hundred gets closer because it is a much more torquey engine. Keep the stock pipes -you might well need them unless yer on good terms with your tester.

Daughter & g/s just arrived - signing off.

grantyg
04-Feb-06, 19:12
I personally hate "pimped" cars the big fat exhaust is a pain and it is too lound (fair point on that being an advantage specially the way these muppets drive!)
Another point for you that I found out if the tyre is wider than the natural wheel arch that is illegal - also the different fonts on the number plate.
Apparently they are trying to make underlighters illegal too??
The other thing that annoys me is drivers who leave their fog lights on when there is no fog and I hate to stereo type but driving the 250+ miles a week I do it is usually citreon Saxo`s and Renault Clio`s.

Right I`m of to get a 2 tone paint job on my astra - now the suspensions lowered I can get in and out easier! - ;0)

kara
04-Feb-06, 19:47
I got a 30 squid fine last time they were up, I have a 2.0 Subaru impreza with a cat-back magnex system (still have the 2 catalic converters on), they measured my cars BD's at 4 1/2 thousand rpm, my car will not rev past 6 and I wouldn’t drive about the street at that high revs, also I didn’t get a measurement just told it was to loud, I was told to ask them what the limit is because if you buy a Subaru STI from the show room with a PPP pack "manufactured" produced and installed before selling the DB's on that car at 4 1/2 thousand revs is not quiet but yet not altered after manufacture so perfectly legal also they tried this on a guy with a P1 which wasn’t changed after market so he took them to court, nothing happened to him because they didnt have a case.

So my point also is how can a saxo with an aftermarket exhaust be louder or noisier rather than a Subaru Impreza with PPP pack installed and a flat 4 engine? I think not basically they are out saying if you alter your car to make any more noise than when it came out the factory your a bad boy and are going to get a fine.

BUT if you have a big exhaust and driving like an idiot FAIE ENOUGH you deserve it. (not pointing the finger at anyone just saying in any case)

jjc
04-Feb-06, 19:51
in this case the car has hasdd the catalytic convertor taken off
Then your 'm8' should be taken out back and shot... just my opinion, but as if fitting a noisy exhaust weren't anti-social enough, you now tell us that he has purposefully increased the environmental pollutants coming out of it. What a really considerate bloke your ‘m8’ is... [disgust]

erli
04-Feb-06, 20:39
The other thing that annoys me is drivers who leave their fog lights on when there is no fog and I hate to stereo type but driving the 250+ miles a week I do it is usually citreon Saxo`s and Renault Clio`s.

This is the second time this complaint has been on a thread in the last couple of weeks.
Some cars are fitted with a daytime running system which is standard on my car. They can't be switched off I'm afraid, sorry to be so annoying.

landmarker
04-Feb-06, 20:58
Then your 'm8' should be taken out back and shot... just my opinion, but as if fitting a noisy exhaust weren't anti-social enough, you now tell us that he has purposefully increased the environmental pollutants coming out of it. What a really considerate bloke your ‘m8’ is... [disgust]

Seems a bit extreme jjc.
Still, it's good to know you're nothing if not consistent.

I should think the good clean air of Caithness can stand a handful of souped up Saxo's.

You've confirmed an opinion I'd formed. Thanks.

MadPict
04-Feb-06, 21:38
This is the second time this complaint has been on a thread in the last couple of weeks.
Some cars are fitted with a daytime running system which is standard on my car. They can't be switched off I'm afraid, sorry to be so annoying.

There is a difference between Daylight Running Lights such as on my Volvo and f-o-g lights.
Fog lights, both front and rear, are not meant to be used in normal driving conditions -
"Must not cause undue dazzle or discomfort, be lit when parked, nor be used except in seriously reduced visibility"
and they are supposed to have indicator lights visible to the driver to alert them that they are in use. So any excuses that they don't know they are on won't wash. Many vehicles are equipped with systems which turn the fog lights off when the main lights are turned off. So these people are actually deliberately turning fog lights on when it isn't foggy!!!!!

But many drivers think it is OK to drive around with front fogs on as well as headlights - at night it is pointless as the area illuminated is only just a few feet in front and to the side. Front fogs work by projecting the beam of light along the road surface below any layer of mist or fog. [mad] [mad] [mad] [mad]

jjc
04-Feb-06, 21:43
Are you seriously saying that the foglights on your car cannot be turned off?

jjc
04-Feb-06, 21:46
I should think the good clean air of Caithness can stand a handful of souped up Saxo's.
I wasn't aware that Caithness had an independent atmosphere.

Seems a bit extreme jjc.
Still, it's good to know you're nothing if not consistent.

You've confirmed an opinion I'd formed. Thanks.
Errr, yeah… whatever. :confused

landmarker
04-Feb-06, 21:50
I wasn't aware that Caithness had an independent atmosphere.

Errr, yeah… whatever. :confused

From where I'm sat, it has.
Relatively unpolluted, if you discount Dounreay. Sparsely populated with empty-ish roads and a thriving online community, it seems like a different world.

erli
04-Feb-06, 22:10
Are you seriously saying that the foglights on your car cannot be turned off?

DOH!
Sorry, I don't know the difference, I am not very car minded, But as madpict says I am so very wrong, I have a volvo also. I must appologise to granyg too.

weeboyagee
05-Feb-06, 00:07

But many drivers think it is OK to drive around with front fogs on as well as headlights - at night it is pointless as the area illuminated is only just a few feet in front and to the side. Front fogs work by projecting the beam of light along the road surface below any layer of mist or fog.
Aw, c'mon!.......is it really such a big issue? Fog lights blinding you? That has to be a joke! The law may say they can only be used when in situations of fog or reduced visibility but to say that fog lights overall blind oncoming drivers is a myth. That car in the top left corner must be one of the lowest on the road in Caithness and oncoming fog lights don't blind me at all. I got pulled in Nairn with my fog lights on. The warning light was on to tell me I had them on. I had just come over the back road from Aviemore and switched them on because there was fog on the hills where the road rises over the mountains. I simply forgot to switch them off - despite the light on the dash being on.

Now,....how many of you really considerate drivers that detest the fog lights on our cars (and NO, you can see I am not the stereo-typed Saxo or Clio driver!) have your dipped beam too high, and worse still have it too high on a vehicle such as a 4x4 or similar height vehicle - that blinds the driver of the low car???? How many of you are that blind that you haven't the confidence to dip LONG before you should because you can't see the road far enough in front of you? How many of you have one headlight that doesn't dip AT ALL!?

On the black, black roads in Caithness, it is sometimes a blessing to be able to use the fog lights to see the edge of the road at short distance!

When I was stopped in the street by the boys in blue (bless 'em) I got out of the car, walked a good few yards in front of my car and asked them (without reference to the law) if they could see someone being blinded by them - there was no case to answer - it was a power yeilding stop, nothing more, nothing less. It was on the main street with a good looking car and they wanted to make an example! So what? Did it bother me? No,....I switched them off and carried on.

Exhausts, black windows, sporty cars - unless you are the 1.4l, standard saloon or hatch back that is the most eco-friendly four wheel vehicle on the road these days, you are not going to be the general public's friend,.....but you know this?.......if you don't like our cars............TOUGH!!!!! :mad: Since I got that car I have been pulled 9 times!!! All in a period of 6 months - but it didn't surprise me - I somehow expected it. You have a sporty car or a sooped-up car?.......expect it and it will be no surprise - no matter your age! Saxovtr.......just grin and bear it - getting annoyed about it doesn't do you any good mate - grin and bear it - it's the best you can do - getting heated up about it will just build up your frustration and you will never win! Sigh!

landmarker
05-Feb-06, 00:29
Are you talking about high intensity rear foglights?

If so, then used carelessly they are possibly one of the most annoying demonstrations of inconsideration towards other road users.

Fresh eyes might shrug off this glaring indulgence/oversight, but when you've been at the wheel for eight or nine hours and night falls, the last thing you need is really bright rear lights piercing your tired eyes, whe it's clear, or even misty. The only time these serve a purpose is when visibility is down to about 100 metres.

Why do 'they' leave them on when it's not foggy? The only answer is they have forgotten to switch them off otherwise they are complete dorks.

jjc
05-Feb-06, 00:38
Why do 'they' leave them on when it's not foggy? The only answer is they have forgotten to switch them off otherwise they are complete dorks. On more than one occasion I have been behind somebody on the slip-road on to the mororway (no fog whatsoever) and seen them turn their foglights on. I wondered whether there is some school of thought that says foglights make motorway driving safer? Whatever their reason, I agree with you - it's fine following somebody who has their foglights on if you've only been on the road for twenty minutes, but if you've been driving for the last six hours its easy to find yourself focussing on the bright red light in front rather than on the whole road.

weeboyagee
05-Feb-06, 00:43
Are you talking about high intensity rear foglights?
Nope, front fog lamps or driving lights.

If so, then used carelessly they are possibly one of the most annoying demonstrations of inconsideration towards other road users.....fresh eyes might shrug off this glaring indulgence/oversight, but when you've been at the wheel for eight or nine hours and night falls, the last thing you need is really bright rear lights piercing your tired eyes, when it's clear, or even misty. The only time these serve a purpose is when visibility is down to about 100 metres.
Thoroughly agree with you there, tend not to use them if I can avoid it - because as many do, they turn them on but they forget to turn them of. As a driver of over 24k miles a year, I know what you're talking about when you say after a long period behind a wheel.

Another point to mention is "they" who forget to dip at all, "they" who once you have overtaken, don't dip and blind you in the mirrors! Like I say - front fog lights only light up the limited road immediately in front of your car at a lower level and to the wider area at the side of the car - they are pitched lower than the dipped lights - how can they be a problem????? If you forget to switch them off, you forget to switch them off, but it's hardly a major problem for others if they are on when there is no fog?.... :confused:

grantyg
05-Feb-06, 01:04

Well it is illegal so the daytime running system cannot be standard surely???

landmarker
05-Feb-06, 01:14
but if you've been driving for the last six hours its easy to find yourself focussing on the bright red light in front rather than on the whole road.

Yes,perhaps. simply because you get so wound up at the twerp in front who is being inconsiderate. The usual dollop of main beam sometimes works but often there is nothing to be done except drop back and let them progress far enough out of the way to be no longer a pest.

The presence of high intensity rear lights also reduces the impact of 'stop-lights' when the brakes are applied.

The minority of idiots (excusing those who may leave them on inadvertently) is tiny. Perhaps 0.01% , yet there are so many cars on the road that even this miniscule number is enough to register as a pain in the backside.

I can't afford to get too wound up about driving habits, but this is the one thing that gets to me above all else.

JAWS
05-Feb-06, 03:03
Common sense is called for. As much from the Police as anyone else.
Sorry landmarker, this is the real world. What you are asking for is some form of unattainable Utopia.

The phrase "Common Sense" is totally alien to any part of the Law.

MadPict
05-Feb-06, 16:05
Aw, c'mon!.......is it really such a big issue? Fog lights blinding you? That has to be a joke!

Up on the empty roads of Caithness you may get away with it (or not in your case as you seem to have a sign on your car saying "STOP ME - I DRIVE A FLASH CAR!!!" [what is this "good looking car" BTW?]) but down here on the crowded roads where every third or fourth car seems to have front fogs on it is a big issue. On a wet road, the glare added to the normal glare from headlights, makes night driving additionally difficult. Add to that cyclists, who also use the roads round here, refusing to either use lights or wear reflective clothing. Add these together - dazzling lights approaching you - stealth cyclist ahead - start to see a problem?

Then you get the "I OWN THE ROAD" drivers - they come hammering along behind you, every light they have blazing, and try and "bully" their way past you. Well I have news for them - I pay the same taxes as they do - wattage don't get you privilege. Maybe the driver you overtook who kept his main beam on had a reason?....

You have been "pulled 9 times" - does that not say something? In 32 years I have been "pulled" once for "words of advice". And until last year I was covering around 25k+ a year. I also hold LGV CE and PCV 1 licences.

Driving around with disregard for other road users is plain selfish and ignorant.

And don't even get me started on mobile phone users.......[mad]

weeboyagee
05-Feb-06, 16:57
You have been "pulled 9 times" - does that not say something?

.....you seem to have a sign on your car saying "STOP ME - I DRIVE A FLASH CAR!!!"
You answered the question. I have been stopped 9 times with that car, no charges - 4 times by the boys in blue in Lochaber - not Caithness. Its not a flash car - there are many faster (I think) and flashier in Caithness. So no, I don't think it says anything - are you suggesting it DOES say something? If so what?

Jeez,....I was stopped the night after I took it over the Ord!

In London where it comes from I bet they get stopped less with that kind of car!

Maybe the driver you overtook who kept his main beam on had a reason?....
....are you addressing me personally since I raised this in my post? You assume something about my driving wrongly if you are! You're statement would leave me to believe that you COULD be one of those that keeps their full beam on because they are dishing out some sort of punishment - well I have news for you - two wrongs DON'T make a right!!!!

All the other points you make I agree with, I hate them happening to me, but try not to stereotype me - it's the point I believe was being made earlier!! I like driving a smart car - it is my choice, I would think that I am a reasonably considerate driver towards others and would expect the same courteousy in return. There are loads of hazards on the road, they won't go away,....a good driver these days should, if not be able to tolerate, at least be able to cope with these!

..and don't even get me started on mobile phone users.......
Now, now,.....road rage!!!!

In 32 years I have been "pulled" once for "words of advice". And until last year I was covering around 25k+ a year.
Absolutely marvellous! I salute you.

MadPict
05-Feb-06, 17:24
Another point to mention is "they" who forget to dip at all, "they" who once you have overtaken, don't dip and blind you in the mirrors! Like I say - front fog lights only light up the limited road immediately in front of your car at a lower level and to the wider area at the side of the car - they are pitched lower than the dipped lights - how can they be a problem????? If you forget to switch them off, you forget to switch them off, but it's hardly a major problem for others if they are on when there is no fog?.... :confused:
...prompted the following...

Maybe the driver you overtook who kept his main beam on had a reason?....
....are you addressing me personally since I raised this in my post?

The point I hoped to make, though it was probably poorly put, was if you are driving around with front fogs on and sitting behind another vehicle (possibly dazzling them) which you then overtake, the driver of the other vehicle may not dip in a sign of "You were dazzling me - see if you like it mate".

You're statement would leave me to believe that you COULD be one of those that keeps their full beam on because they are dishing out some sort of punishment - well I have news for you - two wrongs DON'T make a right!!!!

I do not do this.

Absolutely marvellous! I salute you.

Why, thank you...

...and I would wave back.

saxovtr
05-Feb-06, 19:46
i dont remember this post being about headlights?argue elsewhere if its off my topic

MadPict
05-Feb-06, 20:45
Page 2 is about lighting - we sorted your problem.....

weeboyagee
05-Feb-06, 20:54
I personally hate "pimped" cars the big fat exhaust is a pain and it is too lound (fair point on that being an advantage specially the way these muppets drive!)
Another point for you that I found out if the tyre is wider than the natural wheel arch that is illegal - also the different fonts on the number plate.
Apparently they are trying to make underlighters illegal too??
The other thing that annoys me is drivers who leave their fog lights on when there is no fog and I hate to stereo type but driving the 250+ miles a week I do it is usually citreon Saxo`s and Renault Clio`s......Right I`m of to get a 2 tone paint job on my astra - now the suspensions lowered I can get in and out easier! - ;0)
Blame grantyg saxovtr - he did it :p he changed the post - it wisnae us :)

Saveman
05-Feb-06, 20:54
i dont remember this post being about headlights?argue elsewhere if its off my topic

Threads have a tendency to evolve Saxo.....never worry :D

saxovtr
05-Feb-06, 20:57
they shud start there own topic about lights no relevance to what i asked what so ever

MadPict
05-Feb-06, 21:36
How dare you try and hijack the thread which we assimilated into the discussion on road traffic lighting regulations....

Now about those blue LED's you have stuck on your car.....

saxovtr
06-Feb-06, 00:21
rite....ok

AR
07-Feb-06, 00:13
[QUOTE=kara]I got a 30 squid fine last time they were up, I have a 2.0 Subaru impreza with a cat-back magnex system (still have the 2 catalic converters on), they measured my cars BD's at 4 1/2 thousand rpm, my car will not rev past 6 and I wouldn’t drive about the street at that high revs, also I didn’t get a measurement just told it was to loud, I was told to ask them what the limit is because if you buy a Subaru STI from the show room with a PPP pack "manufactured" produced and installed before selling the DB's on that car at 4 1/2 thousand revs is not quiet but yet not altered after manufacture so perfectly legal also they tried this on a guy with a P1 which wasn’t changed after market so he took them to court, nothing happened to him because they didnt have a case.

So my point also is how can a saxo with an aftermarket exhaust be louder or noisier rather than a Subaru Impreza with PPP pack installed and a flat 4 engine? I think not basically they are out saying if you alter your car to make any more noise than when it came out the factory your a bad boy and are going to get a fine.

QUOTE]
Ofcoarse the saxo can be louder.
The PPP pack on a scubby STi is fitted after registration to sidestep registration/emission rules.Not before.They(the filth) should take the DB reading with the meter at approx 1/3 to 1/2 the vehicles maximum rpm, so it the case of the scubby should be 3-4000 rpm approx. As for the noise let the pigs take you to court for excessive noise if they dont take an actual DB reading with an approved DB meter(im lead to belive that the police in caithess have only got the 1 avalible to them, this may have changed), their case will fall flat o its face without physical readings, provided you get a deacent solicitor(not a local 1 or taco nolf)
A certain blue 106 used to go about wick like mad but u could clearly here it coming, so in some ways it made the car/driver slightly safer for pedestrians. There is also an old geezer in an old saab who regularly at lunchtimes drives up the cliff in wick to go home to near the high school who made this 106 look parked, he was a far bigger danger as it is at the last few seconds you hear him.He also reverses out of his drive like an idiot(ive have to move accros the road to avoid him on occasion), but nothing is said about him. He is more dangerous in a lot of ways that the boy racer in his saxo/106/corsa.
As for the catalyst thingy its possible to get a car to pass an emmisions test without 1, not the easiest on most but still possible none the less.
Fog lamps and driving lamps are 2 diffrent things and the front fog lamps have never blinded me and in my younger days my cars were always lowered.
Rear fog lamps can be a pain after a while though! Driving lamps can blind very easily and are very diffrent from front fog lamps.

AR
07-Feb-06, 00:16
As for the catalyst thingy its possible to get a car to pass an emmisions test without 1, not the easiest on most but still possible none the less.
It is illegal to remove the catalyst from a car registerd after 1 january 1993 (during K reg). Any time before that isnt a problem.

jjc
07-Feb-06, 00:45
i dont remember this post being about headlights You’re right, it wasn’t… it was about you having a barely-legible whine because your ‘m8’ was pulled over for being an anti-social ned. I get the feeling that not too many people share your outrage.

SJR
07-Feb-06, 00:59
Yeah,his punctuation is terrible.The caithness police should spend more time on theiving scum drug dealers, vandals etc. Its not saxovtr's fault he has bad taste though!Looking at his car gives me a laugh.

golach
07-Feb-06, 10:46
You’re right, it wasn’t… it was about you having a barely-legible whine because your ‘m8’ was pulled over for being an anti-social ned. I get the feeling that not too many people share your outrage.

I fully agree with you on this issue JJC

Whitewater
07-Feb-06, 10:47

Daytime lighting systems are OK no complaint there, I think they are great, but neither front nor rear foglights should be used unless visibility is greatly restricted and should never be used in towns with street lighting after dark. If your car has a daytime lighting system which keeps on your fog lights then it is breaking the law.

saxovtr
07-Feb-06, 12:43
well for a start i do not have a saxo vtr it is just a name,THIS THREAD IS GETTING OUT OF HAND IF YOU PEOPLE ARENT GOING TO ANSWER THE ORIGINAL TOPICAL QUESTION IM GOING TO PUT A COMPLAINT FORWARD OK

saxovtr
07-Feb-06, 12:45
can please delete this thread from here too many people not answering the question and moaning about things that i really do not care about thank you

MadPict
07-Feb-06, 13:04
Saxo,
Chill. Your original question was answered pretty much.

And you did state - "i dont see the sense in it can any1 shine sum light in it," - so the thread also included some points about lights.

While you can throw all your toys out of your pram because the thread has changed course slightly, (we are still discussing motoring matters), demanding the closure of a thread is a bit much. If the thread had been hijacked to discuss cookery or stamp collecting issues I could understand. But we're talking cars still.
It is a fact of forums that threads sometimes evolve into other areas and as long as they are related to the original topic is it a problem?

So, if you do not have a SaxoVTR do you have the permission from the owner of the one in your sig, to plaster it all over the internet? And while we're on the issue of privacy, do you have the OK from the young lady to do the same?

weeboyagee
07-Feb-06, 14:26
Chill. Your original question was answered pretty much.
Hey, saxo,....I agree with Mad Pict here - take a break, you get heated up too easy man. Grantyg included some other topics while commenting on your topic. This happens on most threads! None of us are perfect :rolleyes:!

Instead of throwing a tantrum why don't you post something that takes the thread back to what you want to discuss (if you don't feel that we have done it justice) and then let those who wish to entertain it post an answer.

I have not commented on exhausts because it was something that didn't particularly affect me, but fog lamps, driving lamps and the other things that YOU yourself referred to:

...funny thing is he has the blackest windows....or the number plate light on the left being out.....ive seen cars that dont even look fit for the road pass me.....
Not just exhausts referred to there? Hmm? But when it came to lighting I added to the discussion as a I see fit. Learn to cope with the org and what it throws at you, don't let it get to you - you will then be in a better position to post with some strength! At this point in time you are letting a lot of the more senior posters on this web site think you are nothing but a jumped up youth with an atitude - only you can convince them otherwise!

Whatever you do, don't start an answer to this with ......."I don't care........"

Chill mate! WBG :cool:

jjc
08-Feb-06, 00:17
THIS THREAD IS GETTING OUT OF HAND IF YOU PEOPLE ARENT GOING TO ANSWER THE ORIGINAL TOPICAL QUESTION IM GOING TO PUT A COMPLAINT FORWARD OK Saxovtr,

I don’t take kindly to threats and I don’t have the patience of MadPict or Weeboyagee.

You started this thread because you wanted to have a go at the police officers who pulled your ‘m8’ over for being anti-social. I don’t know what reaction you expected, but this thread is the reaction you got. Live with it.

Mr Sensitive
08-Feb-06, 01:37
Live with it.
Another one for the annoying expressions thread?

JAWS
08-Feb-06, 01:54
jjc, I agree with you. (OKJ everybody, it's a passing phase :lol: )

I suspect that the original question only tells a small part of a long story. From later posts this is not the first, or even the second time, M8y has been stopped by the police.

I note that there is a strange lack of "the same keeps happening to me" posts by others with similar vehicles. That would suggest to me that there is some difference between what M8y is doing and every other young driver with similar vehicles.
That, in itself, says a great deal.
The mention of ASBOs is rather strange in view of the question asked. Again, there is a complete lack of "Me too" posts. Again, why M8y and no others. I don't recall other drivers with a noisy exhaust ever having been threatened with an ASBO, has anybody else?

The problem that saxovtr seems to have is not so much that is question is not getting answered but rather that the answers are not the ones he wants to hear.

Given the attitude of "tell me what I want to hear or else!" then I'm with you jjc, I'll take the "Or else" every time! [mad]

golach
08-Feb-06, 09:56
Saxovtr,
I don’t take kindly to threats and I don’t have the patience of MadPict or Weeboyagee.
You started this thread because you wanted to have a go at the police officers who pulled your ‘m8’ over for being anti-social. I don’t know what reaction you expected, but this thread is the reaction you got. Live with it.

jjc & Jaws nice to see us united and agreeing for once, Saxovtr, you got your answer, if you were not happy say so. But stop whingeing. If you feel that no one paid any attention to your origional question it just goes to show you, nobody in here thought it was worth answering.

linesix
08-Feb-06, 10:09
im pretty sure that anything above 80dB's in the public is considered as breach of the peace ... as loud as some of the boyracer cars maybe - i dont think they are reaching 80dBs ........ as i think someone mentioned earlier - i have heard before that if you replace the exhaust and it produces 2dB's or more than the original - it is 'breaking the law' ... personally - like many others - i think its an unwriten rule.
if you increase anything by 3dB's - you are doubling the intensity of the sound pressure - the human ear is not very good at percieving actual sound,it will only seem a little bit louder - but you could actually be causing damage!

Saveman
08-Feb-06, 10:38
LOL, I had good laugh at this thread, very entertaining.
Saxo...do try to keep your hair on. You don't have to keep reading this thread if its annoying you. The fact is just because you start a thread doesn't mean you own it. Once its out there, it belongs to all of us! :D

Whitewater
08-Feb-06, 10:52
Saxovtr,

Well said jjc. I'm with you on that one.

JAWS
08-Feb-06, 12:41
jjc & Jaws nice to see us united and agreeing for once, Saxovtr, you got your answer, if you were not happy say so. But stop whingeing. If you feel that no one paid any attention to your origional question it just goes to show you, nobody in here thought it was worth answering.
Golach, really. I can be agreeable sometimes, but only on one of my off days! [lol]

AR
08-Feb-06, 15:06
The attitude of the local police is (normally) terrible to 'boy racers' Most , boy racers, appear to tell others of their discust with the police on here rather than actually doing somethingabout it. When i was younger in my Nova days,I along with anyone else who drove around the streets got stopped by the pigs on a regular basis for no real reason.On the piles of occasions i got pulled i always stood my ground with them.There was never any defects with my car and i was not having some stuid bobby with a bee in his bonnet about authority try to tell me otherwise.After a while i got stopped by them less and less, as my cars got newer and faster.Now i only see them on an odd occasion.I do have a couple of observations. In my experiance
1, Hot hatch(esp modifyed) = trouble in caithness.
2, The further south you go the more human the police are and the less chance of finding 'hitler' wannabees
3, the older you get no matter what you drive you get less hassle

The way grampian, lothian and borders and tayside are with people is far better than notherns(general) attitude.A few of my friends have found the same. Id better say that not all of northers officers have been 'hitlers' in my experiance, only most of them.

weeboyagee
08-Feb-06, 18:11
stopped by the pigs on a regular basis for no real reason
Can't stand that term, I absolutely detest it. I have no real love for the boys in blue when they stop you for no real reason according to yourself but the term "pig" for a policeman riles me so much!

How very big of you that you "stand your ground" and that you "didn't have a stupid bobby ...tell you otherwise"!!! GROW UP!

1, Hot hatch(esp modifyed) = trouble in caithness.
2, The further south you go the more human the police are and the less chance of finding 'hitler' wannabees
3, the older you get no matter what you drive you get less hassle

ALL WRONG! I have a hot hatch - one that would probably bust your butt on the road (finally I give way to this standard!) but it's not trouble in Caithness. The further south I go the more I get stopped and the more atitude I find from the police - I was once stopped in Lochaber by a lone policeman who said "if you apologise to me and say you're sorry for your atitude and admit you are wrong, I'll let you away with a warning!" I have never had anything but courteousy and politeness from the local guys - and they have pulled me often enough! And finally how wrong you are with the age element - the older I got the worse it got!

I have never shown atitude or ignorance to those who are employed to uphold the law and no matter what I think about how some of them believe that the law gives them power, they do a difficult job when it comes to it and one that does not merit them, in any way, being referred to as pigs! You have an apology to make AR in my mind.:mad:

You and saxovtr have brought the wrath of the more senior posters on you by your stupid and thoughtless lack of courteousy to other members of the public and are a poor if not sometimes typical example of the younger generation that have a lot to learn and a lot of growing up to do. I hope that life does not return to you with payment in the manner that your current limited scope with it merits! [mad]

AR
08-Feb-06, 20:06
You may not like the term pigs but i USED to find it a good description of northern constabularys bobbies in caithness.I say used(as in when i was younger).I dont think its so bad now as i hardly ever has cause to speak to them.I(as wrong as some may find it) grew up with them being called pigs since as long as i can remember as there was no respect for them from people in my family.It appears to have stuck in my mind.Sorry if you dont like it, i will try to refrain from it in future.
I will not have someone telling me there are things wrong with my car when I know there is nothing wrong with it.They want to leave telling people there are things wrong with their cars to people who know,such as traffic comissioners etc.I would take heed of what they would say/do.
"i have a hot hatch- 1 that would probably bust your butt onthe road" Er, what does that mean, i mean i dont understand!If i go by your picture in the corner of your box, you appear to have some form of sports car not a hot hatch!Sorry about being picky there!
I hope the local police(got it right this time!) have changed reacently because i dont know many people who could show some little upstarts any respect.I know there are also good ones, some of the old school ones like used to be in the old caithness constabulary(from what ive been told by people who were around before my day).As far as i can tell its usually some of the police that have attitude and are ignorant.

JAWS
09-Feb-06, 02:05
Oink! AR, Oink, Oink!
I've always found that people usually get the treatment they request from the cops.
My guess, AR, is that you failed the "Attitude Test".
The cops around here are Pussy Cats. If you wish I can give you a list of places where you can try to sort out some untamed Tigers.

I think you might take a look at the Road Traffic Act so you will know you has authority to check your Hot Hatch for offences.
Unless your Hot Hatch has grown up into an HGV or a PSV the Traffic Commissioners have no authority whatsoever to inspect your vehicle.
And you are the one who was correcting the little upstarts? You have my complete sympathy over your troubles, I suspect you might need it!

If you think you are being unfairly treated if you call in at your local Pig Sty you will find they have leaflets, which they are obliged to give you, on how to make an Official Complaint which will have to be properly investigated.
The old school didn't have to bother about things like that so you will get a fair hearing nowadays!

Do you really still call them "Pigs" around here? How very quaint. I've not heard anything quite so old fashioned for years.

skaterboy
09-Feb-06, 12:22
The police up here do tend to take a special interest in modified cars, I know first hand. I had a highly modified saxo vts for almost two years beore I sold it and I was always getting pulled over because since "I had a car that looked as if it would cause trouble"!

I bought a Civic Type R last year and I have been pulled over 3 times in 10 months. The latest stop I had was because my rear number plate was dirty!!!! Jesus, I had just travelled over 350 miles and was going straight to my work! Nevermind that, what about the car that they could hear tearing up the street at god-knows what speed!!!! They also made a comment about my exhaust being rather loud.

The whole thing about the noisy exhausts if I can remember correctly; you are not allowed to modify the standard manufacturers exhaust in any way in which to make it louder. I have taken replaced the "whole" manufacturers exhaust, therefore I have not modified it in any way in which would make it louder! I told the police officer this and the reply was, "well............anyway sir, have a safe journey"!!!

Rant over!!

MadPict
09-Feb-06, 13:22
Why do the drivers with modded cars throw their hands up in outrage when they get stopped?

Do you think that the law is sitting there waiting for you?

Has it not clicked yet that when they are on duty if someone drives by in a vehicle making a lot of noise (this can also include driving around with technohippityhoppydrum'n'bassgaragerap blasting out of your 1000watt Halfords HiFi) or driving in a manner which they consider to be unsafe, they are required to do something about it. They are police officers and are appointed to uphold the law in all its many aspects and to protect the public, and if they fail to so they can be disciplined for neglect of duty.

They wear a uniform (and invariably a hiviz jacket just so you can spot one) and drive around in cars marked with big stripes/patches and POLICE written all over it. They even put big blue lights on the roof!
If a member of the public spots them NOT stopping such a scally and administering words of advice or a ticket they will be onto the local nick to complain - "I have just seen PC McGarry number 452 ignore a car driving like a lunatic on Bridge Street..."

So, if you get stopped just cruising around the town, bear in mind it's just your bad luck that you drove by the law when you did.
Or maybe they think that they're in the wrong place too - "OK, here we go for another mouthful of abuse - thank god we're on rest days soon..."

skaterboy
09-Feb-06, 17:00
The line of work that I am in means that I really have to behave myself and not act like an idiot in a car but I still get stopped, just because of the car I used to drive and drive now. The funny thing is, as soon as they ask me what I do they take a complete different tone with me and start treating me like a human being. On one occasion a traffic cop even commented on how well my car looked after stopping me (routine stop allegedly) and shock horror, it was a Saxo so stop slagging them off.

MadPict, you wrote;

"maybe they think that they're in the wrong place too - "OK, here we go for another mouthful of abuse - thank god we're on rest days soon..."

I know all about that feeling, I get it day in, day out and thats why I dont kick off when I get stopped and will only argue on a point if I know what im talking about.

May I also add MadPict, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!

JAWS
09-Feb-06, 17:24
Mad Pict, I thought you would have known better! Fancy trying to introduce them to a little bit of Common Sense.

First you modify your car so it will draw attention to both you and it.
Then you go to somewhere that it is bound to get attention.
Then you drive it round and round and round and round until you get everybody’s attention.
Then you moan and groan because it's not the attention you wanted to get.

The one thing they never ever learn is that "Attention Seekers" often draw the wrong sort of attention. The two things invariably go together.

The thought never crosses their tiny little minds that the reason the nasty police keep stopping and annoying them could possibly be that it's to try and stop them from annoying just about everybody else!

The horrible truth is that, not only do we not need to know you are there with your "Pride and Joy" but we do not want to know that you even exist.
You are about as much interest to the rest of us as the buzz of the irritating fly which just wont go away!

And yes, I have been stopped for "routine checks" and have never had any problem at all.
I learned a long time ago that if you give "attitude" then you invariably get "attitude" in return and that also applies to people other than the Police as well.

Skaterboy, you obviously react in a decent manner and, although you've been stopped, don't seem to get the same sort of response as others.
One question though? Why do you think Mad Pict's comment is sarcasm?

MadPict
09-Feb-06, 17:28
In the words of today's yoof - "Whatever".........

landmarker
09-Feb-06, 18:50
I've had a couple of run ins with arrogant traffic cops but the majority ar eokay.

I think the term 'pig' is out of order.

Who are you going to call when your hear things going bump in the night at 2am and your house is being burgled, or if you get beaten up and want something done about it? Ghostbusters?? or the....

... Police. Not perfect by any means but doing a difficult job and without them we would all be totally stuffed. Show some respect for the people that help keep the fabric of this society together.

Traffic cops see some unpleasant sights, pulling broken bodies from mangled wrecks all too often caused by excessive speed and duff driving.

As for 'Saxos' - 'complaint' threat what ARE you talking about. I didn't know whether to laugh, but I did anyway. C'mon man - chill. Threads wander all over the place.

saxovtr
09-Feb-06, 19:45
please remove post(i never asked about wot u all think of boyracers)

AR
09-Feb-06, 20:35
I heard their (northern constabularys) terrible manner/attitude first during the 80s when i was in a friends car,who was running round the steets(of wick i think).He got stopped, and was crapping himself because he thought they were the law and they were right no matter what.He was not rude but they were foul.Later during the 90s when i was driving at first i was scared when they stopped me and never said or did anything that i thought would get me in trouble. After getting stopped regularly to check my tyres etc(and them never finding anything wrong)i got rather sick of it.So i started to answer their comments, and argue with their comments on the alledged state of my car.All their comments came from the changed parts on the car.
I had better point out that they always commented on the loud exhaust, big wheels etc but in the begining i answered their questions without anything said but yes/no etc, and i still had to put up with their observations which were more often than not threts about taking me to court for this or that and they would let me off this time and be eternally grateful to him.
Not that i have many run ins with them nowadays, but when i do i get treated a bit better. I got stopped going up drumossie reacently for speeding by traffic, and before i said anything the cop was ok, he just asked me was it ok to speed?Which i replyed no and he asked me a couple of other things and left by saying watch out for frost as daylight came in. He was fine.
The last time i got stopped and done for speeding (4 years ago near perth) the bloke was fine no rubbish just'im sorry but you were travelling too fast and i have to charge you'. No rubbish just caught fairly and squarely, i dont have a problem with that.If he came with the attitude that i recall from my teenage years i would be calling him every name under the sun.
Some of them must get a power trip from being to tell you what to do, especially if you are young and very unlikely to complain about their conduct.
Anyone remember the story about latimer and going to someones door ranting and raving last year.He does northerns image no good.
My car along with a few others got vandalised a few years ago in inverness. The vandalisam got reported at 7.30am, they turned up at 10.30. 26 cars got 'done' and they took 3 hours to travel 2 miles.A businessman from caithness was there (his car was 1 of the worst damaged), and asked what took so long as he was waiting to go home. The reply he received was we wont catch them anyway.He tore strips off the guy and the whole dining room applauded his dressing down of the officer.And you wonder why i didnt (as in used to)think much of them? As i am getting older i do find them to be less aggressive and in some cases slightly helpful.
Skaterboy had it right, i only argue when i know im right/there is nothing wrong, and not just because im discusted because ive been stopped.
Its probably a minority thats arrogant(and ignorant)and i probably remember the bad experiances easier than the good ones.

jjc
09-Feb-06, 20:47
Saxo,

Perhaps you should take a look at the results of this (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=5417) poll. Then you might like to take a deep breath, reduce your font size and at least try and pretend that you are mature enough to drive the car pictured in your signature.

golach
09-Feb-06, 20:50
Saxo,

Perhaps you should take a look at the results of this (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=5417) poll. Then you might like to take a deep breath, reduce your font size and at least try and pretend that you are mature enough to drive the car pictured in your signature.
Right on jjc I could not have expressed myself as well as you. My sentiments exactly

saxovtr
10-Feb-06, 00:53
the sig picture was for a photoshop competition and iam not a boyracer and do not own a car,get your facts rite before judging me,i asked a simple question if you all answered it fine.now u r all taking it to far start ur own thread

JAWS
10-Feb-06, 02:09
heres a question for the knowledgeable 1s,cops pulled a m8 over tonite sed the exhaust is makni excessive noise and its classed as anti social behavour,FAIR ENOUGH,they want it off or silenced,MY QUESTION:WHY DO THE POLICE HAVE A METER DECIBEL METER THAT READS HOW MUCH DB THE EXHAUST IS MAKING AT AT A 3RD OF THE ENGINE SPEED?but they want any aftermarket exhaust taken off,i dont see the sense in it can any1 shine sum light in it,
To answer your question if you really want it answered, that is if anybody can really make sense of it.

If you are asking why a reading is taken at one third engine revs then it is to give an indication of the amount of noise an exhaust makes at a reasonable engine speed i.e. between the noise on tick-over and the noise a car would make at the top of a reasonable range of revs without running the engine at maximum revs.

Personally I see no reason why it should not be a test at two thirds revs when the exhaust would be noisier still and more likely to be an offence.
If the exhaust is too noisy then yes, they will want it correcting.
Did they say it was exceeding the noise limit? You don't say.
What exactly do you not make sense of? You don't say.

Is it the fact that your mate was stopped? Is it the usage of the Decibel Meter? Is it the fact that, as it would appear from what you say, that your mate has been told to fit an exhaust that complies with the law? Or is it just that you are upset because your mate has been caught committing an offence?

Your further comments in a later post that he wasn’t reported for a lighting defect or that he probably has windows which are restrictive of his vision and therefore, I would suggest, possibly means he is driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition tends to tell me that the police were being particularly lenient with him.
I would suggest that he should be grateful that the Police did not put his vehicle off the road altogether until all the defects had been corrected and the vehicle was in a Road Worthy condition.

If you will clarify exactly what it is you want answering then you might get somebody to answer it.
Unless, that is, the above does answer your question.

If you want everybody to sympathise with your mate and say the Police are terrible, that they have no right to check his vehicle and should not tell him to get any defect corrected then just accept that others do not believe that to be so.
If that’s the case then you did not want a question answering you just wanted to be told exactly what you wanted to hear.
Tough, life doesn’t work like that. Stop the tantrums and stop the “Give me what I want or else!” attitude.
On here it just does not work!

Oh yes, and if your mates car has been modified to get more power I might suggest he informs his insurance company otherwise he may well be driving without insurance!

skaterboy
10-Feb-06, 08:17
JAWS - sarcasm

"They wear a uniform (and invariably a hiviz jacket just so you can spot one) and drive around in cars marked with big stripes/patches and POLICE written all over it. They even put big blue lights on the roof!"

I would just like to point out that when I did modify my car it wasnt to draw attention to myself, it was because it was how I wanted it to look, not so that everyone else would stop and say, "oh look at that car, how nice!" Its almost like you are saying that people only buy nice cars so that they attract attetion to themselves albeit a different sort of attention but at the end of the day it is still attention.

JAWS also wrote,

"The horrible truth is that, not only do we not need to know you are there with your "Pride and Joy" but we do not want to know that you even exist.
You are about as much interest to the rest of us as the buzz of the irritating fly which just wont go away!"

Isnt that comment a little bit harsh??? I know that people driving around town again and again can get to the stage where it becomes annoying but it is just as annoying as the people that double park on the street just to nip into the bakers or papershop.

To finish off with, anyone who has a modified car and doesnt declare the modifications to their insurance company are just looking for trouble as at the end of the day, it doesnt cost much more and you have the piece of mind that you are legally on the road.

saxovtr
10-Feb-06, 09:34
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/flamerkit/ben3.jpg

this wil keep the moaning ppl happy,SKATER BOY IS IT A SILVER SAXO VTR BY ANY CHANCE,T REG?

saxovtr
10-Feb-06, 09:37
BREAKING NEWS!!!!! the female officer that stopped me and the m8 has an s reg saxo vtr that has been lowered more than this saxo!!!! and also has an aftermarket exhaust(noisy or not) they told us any aftermarket exhaust is illegal,unbelievable a copper stopped us and shes had her car modified c now they really are just taking the micky out of boyracers!!!

saxovtr
10-Feb-06, 09:41
i asked for the current legislation on exhausts all mods on my m8s saxo r declared also so its not my pride and joy im the passeneger and wanted to know where he stood for getting told to take an aftermarket exhaust off,GOT STOPPED ONCE AGAIN (COPPER:IM NO MECHANIC (HAHA I NO) BUT U WIL HAVE TO DO SUMFIN WITH THE EXHAUST...5MINS LATER KEEP THE REVS DOWN SO UR NOT MAKING A NOISE AND U CAN KEEP IT ON[lol] ) M8:I CANT REMOVE IT ITS ALL WELDED ALLTOGETHER

THEY REALLY ARE GULLABLE AND HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO :p

skaterboy
10-Feb-06, 09:48
No, it was a silver 03 plate vts I had before, full dimma bodykit etc.

jjc
10-Feb-06, 10:48
M8:I CANT REMOVE IT ITS ALL WELDED ALLTOGETHER

THEY REALLY ARE GULLABLE
So what you are saying is that your 'm8' lies to the police... and that it's their fault that they fall for it?

The more you tell me about this 'm8' of yours the less sympathy I have for him.

scotsboy
10-Feb-06, 11:11
But lets stick to what he told us not to do at the begining - boy racers are a pain, they ain't clever and cewrtainly ain't cool (fat exhausts or not). Go ahread pimp your ride - it will only enhance what people already think.

skaterboy
10-Feb-06, 11:46
Could someone here please define the term "Boy Racer?"

This should be interesting!

MadPict
10-Feb-06, 12:46
Your further comments in a later post that he wasn’t reported for a lighting defect or that he probably has windows which are restrictive of his vision and therefore, I would suggest, possibly means he is driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition tends to tell me that the police were being particularly lenient with him.
I would suggest that he should be grateful that the Police did not put his vehicle off the road altogether until all the defects had been corrected and the vehicle was in a Road Worthy condition.

RE: window tints - not all police officers have access to the required light meter to actually determine whether the tint exceeds the light transmission levels -

Light Transmission of Glazing - Summary of requirements (Summaries of construction and use regulations for motor vehicles – Department for Tansport )
Motor vehicles first used between 1/6/1978 and 31/3/1985 must have windows which allow at least 70% of light to pass through. Motor vehicles first used on or after 1/4/1985 must have windscreens which allow at least 75% of light to pass through - all other windows must admit at least 70% of light.

They should have issued an Vehicle Recticfication Notice on the whole car...
Try driving around at night with a pair of really dark sunglasses on and you'll see why this is a danger....

Skater -
Sarcasm? I thought it was a little humour. But then the line between the two can be a little blurry at times.
A bit like my eyes as I try to decypher exactly what SaxoVTR is SHOUTING at everyone.

Boy racer? -
"Boy racer is a New Zealand and British colloquial term for a person, usually a male in his late teens or early twenties, who drives his car in an intimidating or dangerous way for fun. Their cars are most often regular models customised with spoilers, wide tires, flared fenders and go-faster stripes. Cars driven by boy racers are often small, and it's not uncommon that they are "all show and no go". An example of a boy racer car of the old generation is the Ford Escort (both the early rear wheel drive versions such as the RS2000 and the later XR3i variants) due to their low cost and easily tuned engine, while modern boy racers generally use hot hatchbacks such as the Honda Civic or the Nova SR. According to the stereotype the new generation doesn't know much about tuning the engine. Movies like The Fast and the Furious have caused additional interest in boy racing."
From here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_racer

Hmm, sounds about right. We have them down here too - 1am, 2am you can here them screaming around the local roads, exhausts sounding like gunfire with the back pressure on the over run. Then they can be heard doing "doughnuts" in the nearest carpark - hmm, lets just burn a few 1000 miles off our tyres.....

SaxoVTR - Y dun U try & wrte yor posts n d way U wer taught @ skul & If U L%k 2 d L of yor [abc] U wiL c a key w Caps Lock RitN on it . Try turniN it off occassionally - unLS yor [abc] hz bcum damaged az U launch in2 yt NothA tirade.....

jjc
10-Feb-06, 12:50
Could someone here please define the term "Boy Racer?" Sure. It's somebody who looks at a picture like this:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/flamerkit/Ellie0005copy.jpg

and thinks that either of the models pictured could be considered ‘classy’.

Wikipedia has an interesting entry for the term here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy-racer) which includes the hysterical “it's not uncommon that they are ‘all show and no go’”

Tymey
10-Feb-06, 18:28
Could someone here please define the term "Boy Racer?"

This should be interesting!

Neck on the chopping board here....I'd define a boy racer as someone who does the circuit in Wick from the roundabout at the end of Bridge Street and up to Louisburgh Street, turn and do it over and over and over until they are either a) dizzy b) sick c) dizzy and sick.

Wish I could to burn petrol like that.

No, actually I don't. :)

That guillotine looks sharp.

Doleve
10-Feb-06, 22:49
Isnt going cruising through the streets of Thurso and Wick(and everywhere else) part of growing up? It was for me and all from my generation.As far as i can see the cars running back and fore in the town are far better and safery than the old bangers of yesteryear.At a guess, as i travelled down Princess St tonight there appears to be less cars going round and round than in yesteryear.

Saveman
10-Feb-06, 22:54
Isnt going cruising through the streets of Thurso and Wick(and everywhere else) part of growing up?

I don't believe it is.

JAWS
11-Feb-06, 16:57
Neck on the chopping board here....I'd define a boy racer as someone who does the circuit in Wick from the roundabout at the end of Bridge Street and up to Louisburgh Street, turn and do it over and over and over until they are either a) dizzy b) sick c) dizzy and sick.
Tymey, those are just Monkeys doing a Monkey Run.
Some of them eventually learn to be brave and learn to venture away from their Mummies and drive in a straight line.
The odd one even becomes brave enough to venture beyond the "End of Safe Zone" signs and venture into the Dark Dangerous World outside.
These are very easy to spot because they go as fast as they can in case something grabs them.
That fear usually subsides as the grow up and learn more about the world around them, although some do become prone to "Self Harm" before this happens.

_Ju_
11-Feb-06, 17:08
..............sarcasm is the lowest form of wit!......

Going a bit off the subject, may I profoundly disagree with you?

Tymey
11-Feb-06, 17:22
Tymey, those are just Monkeys doing a Monkey Run.
Some of them eventually learn to be brave and learn to venture away from their Mummies and drive in a straight line.
The odd one even becomes brave enough to venture beyond the "End of Safe Zone" signs and venture into the Dark Dangerous World outside.
These are very easy to spot because they go as fast as they can in case something grabs them.
That fear usually subsides as the grow up and learn more about the world around them, although some do become prone to "Self Harm" before this happens.

I stand corrected. :)

JAWS
11-Feb-06, 19:08
Boy Racers - Immature, attention seeking, car driving people, suffering low self esteem and with a constant belief that if they do not draw attention to themselves nobody will know they exist.

See also – Class Clown, Bar Room Buffoon and Restaurant Rowdy, all of whom think that all and sundry should stop what they are doing and pay attention to their wit, wisdom and skill, all of which is usually very sadly lacking and invariably boring in the extreme.

Unfortunately many of these tendencies are totally untreatable and tend to exist throughout the life of the sufferer, or more correctly the Inflictor.

JAWS
11-Feb-06, 20:02
M8:I CANT REMOVE IT ITS ALL WELDED ALLTOGETHER
The answer to that is quite simple. Unbolt it at the manifold and remove and replace the whole lot!
Your M8 is not very clever using that as an excuse!

It sound to me that the local Police are extremely tolerant with your M8 and should be far more insistent on the law being adhered to.

I suspect that in most other areas that sort of "attitude" would prove to be very costly indeed and in Caithness, there's nowhere to hide. :o)

saxovtr
13-Feb-06, 00:53
good advice i did unbolt the manifold,now there is a 4-2-1 performance manfiold on it,wel there r 3 diff laws ive been told about exhausts its funny,u need a tester to c if it complies with DB readings,any after market exhaust is illegal,u need a kite mark to be legal,3 different coppers THEY DONT EVEN KNOW THE LAW,its ok tho i have just bot a car and have already de catted it and fitted a ful stainless steel exhaust so im sure i will keep all u people moaning about loud exhausts happy,PASSED THE MOT AND EXHAUST COMPANY PROVIDE A KITE MARK SO IT STAYS ON LOL

JAWS
13-Feb-06, 01:18
Fine, just don't come complaining if it attracts unwanted attention! After all, isn't getting attention what it's all about?

Have you also ever stopped to consider that the three different Laws are just different parts of the same Law.
Two plus two equal four. Two times two equals four. One plus three equals four. I was told that by teachers at school. THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO COUNT!

By the way, none of what you have done will improve performance. You seem to have spent a lot of money to make a little more noise. What a Muppet.

Oh yes, I forgot, I've not got a Cat on my car either, and it's got a large bore exhaust!
Halleluiah, I'm great, everybody look at me too! Yippee, I’m a Boy Racer! Where can I go to annoy people, I can’t wait. And my car Passed the MOT! Can I have a medal please! Nah, nah, nah. And I can throw my toys out of my pram too ,Officer!! :p

MadPict
13-Feb-06, 01:54
...i have just bot a car and have already de catted it...

If you had perhaps done a little research....

"The catalytic converter is an integral part of the engine performance system and sensors control the gases entering and leaving the catalytic converter are controlled by the engine management system.

The catalytic converter effectiveness is measured by testing the exhaust gas emissions. This is an important part of the MOT and service requirements on all cars today."

and...

"If you can, get hold of a dead cat and downpipe assembly for your car from the same model and keep your good cat for MOT time. It's worth pointing out at this point that you can get a serious kick in the pods from the Vehicle Inspectorate if they stop you for an emissions check at the side of the road and you fail - you have been warned "

By the way, you can spot VOSA vehicles - they have black and yellow battenburg markings down the side....

....but then they will hear you long before you see them....[lol]

saxovtr
13-Feb-06, 02:46
big bore exhaust its not a bigge bore than 2.5 inch or it wud ruin performance and choke the engine silly individual,its a differently baffled backbox with no other boxes also known as a straight thru system get it correct:) i dont mind making a noise,im not the owner of the saxo im not wasting any money,wether i go around makin a noise is my choice but its the price i pay for performance gases in and out the quicker the more the power,therefore requiring a performance system,if u lot r so smart,colin mcrae and co all them rally cars have to be road legal and pass a normal road MOT and them cars make a silly rip of the exhausty:) why dont the cops wait for them after each stage seeing as they r making a loud noise,(next up the blackest privacy glass i can find)i gota keep the local plod busy as possible,had stuff stolen from my house on friday nite police they were as about as helpful to me as funny as ur comments r jaws,which on a scale of 1 to 10 u and them are about minus 10.not in the slightest bit funny.

MadPict
13-Feb-06, 13:11
3 Days Ago
... iam not a boyracer and do not own a car....

12 Hours Ago...i have just bot a car...

Wow, you're just so evil - you went out and "bot" a Saxo just so you can annoy us even more!!!!

For your information WRC competitors have to comply with traffic regulations whilst travelling between special stages - as do their vehicles. Crews have been stopped by police for unroadworthy vehicles - they have even been told they cannot travel any further so knocking them out of the competition.

But then on a Playstation these things don't happen...

AR
13-Feb-06, 14:51
A friend of mine had a saxo vtr thing , the catalyst burst.Citreon wanted £520+vat for parts only, and no after market company could supply replacement a cat.4-2-1 manifold supplied and fitted for less than £200. And people wonder why they dont replace them with OE parts!

saxovtr
13-Feb-06, 15:17
me evil NEVER!!! i havnt gone and bot a saxo lol funny looking saxo in my signature!! u cant tell the difference between a corsa and a saxo lol nice 1,exactly weld a pipe on instead of a cat i wud,i wudnt pay 500 squid for a catalytic convertor all it does is ruin performance.

MadPict
13-Feb-06, 15:38
You need to practice with your photo editing skills a wee bit more then....

Saxo?
Corsa?

Still annoying wee midges of cars...

saxovtr
13-Feb-06, 16:51
that car didnt have the modifications on i put them on with my photo editor and the website writing,if you can do better.......if not dont keep picking at me

skaterboy
13-Feb-06, 17:41
What alot of you out there are forgetting is that the exhausts that youngsters put on their cars are put on for a variety of reasons. They are put on becase they improve the look of the car (sometimes), they "DO" improve performance and in the process produce more noise, they are sometimes on occasions as cheap as OE parts and at the same time are stainless steel and come with a lifetime warrany!!

saxovtr
13-Feb-06, 17:45
cudnt have said it better m8

MadPict
13-Feb-06, 18:03
What alot of you out there are forgetting is that the exhausts that youngsters put on their cars are put on for a variety of reasons.

But I bet they don't declare the fact that their car has been modified to their insurance company....

@Saxo - if you can't even figure out resizing I think I would win wearing a blindfold....

skaterboy
13-Feb-06, 18:30
I wouldnt tar everyone with the same brush MadPict. I have a stainless steel exhaust on my car and I have informed my insurance company, it added approx £12.00 to my policy for the year. My previous car was modified extensively and it only cost an extra £100 or so for the year. Its a small price to pay for piece of mind.

landmarker
13-Feb-06, 18:31
I'd much rather talk about engines emiting 'sound' rather than 'noise' It's not quite the same thing. If an exhaust is 'noisy' then it's too loud. You can have an engine emiting 'sounds' which enhance the appearance and movement of a vehicle, but if it's just a racket then it's intrusive and silly, and will just (rightly)attract the law. Noise annoys everytime.

I'd say if you can hear much of an increase in 'noise' when you're inside the car or standing forward of it as it approaches then it's noisy! If , as the car sweeps by and goes past you here a deep throaty rumble then that's 'sound' and is appropriate. Same with bikes -
just my two penneth.

Biker
13-Feb-06, 20:29
What alot of you out there are forgetting is that the exhausts that youngsters put on their cars are put on for a variety of reasons. They are put on becase they improve the look of the car (sometimes), they "DO" improve performance and in the process produce more noise, they are sometimes on occasions as cheap as OE parts and at the same time are stainless steel and come with a lifetime warrany!!

They may well improve the look and I agree that they will be generally no more expensive than the OE parts but if performance is improved then the engine fueling needs adjusted as well otherswise you can damage the engine in the long term.

I have no general problem with people upgrading their cars but if you do put an uprated exhaust on then it must be road legal. Race systems will add reasonable power but the are illegal for use on the road due to the noise.

On the subject of mods, is there really a point in these blue lights people put in the windows/grills?

skaterboy
13-Feb-06, 20:54
Thats why I have a Kpro ecu which is remapped for my exhaust and induction kit. With out it being remapped the engine would run too lean.

As for these blue lights, one word - Neds!!

SJR
14-Feb-06, 00:19
[QUOTE=skaterboy]Thats why I have a Kpro ecu which is remapped for my exhaust and induction kit. With out it being remapped the engine would run too lean.

As for these blue lights, one word - Neds!![/QUOTE

Most modern cars have closed loop control engine management systems which mean they compensate for any diferences.So a remap etc is not strictly needed.What is needed for is to maximise performance and at the sametime possibly economy.
Coloured lights as well as being illeagal(except for xenon gas dischage headlamp systems) are rather naff to say the least.

skaterboy
14-Feb-06, 00:43
I have a race header fitted to my car which takes the cat out. To get the maximum performance aswell as getting the car to run economically as possible I had to fit the ecu and have it mapped for my mods. Having the ecu fitted also meant the the engine management light does not come on since the cat has been removed and I can adjust the cam changeover. Having the exhaust, induction kit and ecu fitted to my car has given me over 40bhp over standard which has made a real difference.

MadPict
14-Feb-06, 01:09
I wouldnt tar everyone with the same brush MadPict.

I don't intend that to be the case - I appreciate a nice customisation just as much as anyone...

JAWS
14-Feb-06, 01:11
if u lot r so smart,colin mcrae and co all them rally cars have to be road legal and pass a normal road MOT and them cars make a silly rip of the exhausty:) why dont the cops wait for them after each stage seeing as they r making a loud noise,(next up the blackest privacy glass i can find)i gota keep the local plod busy as possible,had stuff stolen from my house on friday nite police they were as about as helpful to me as funny as ur comments r jaws,which on a scale of 1 to 10 u and them are about minus 10.not in the slightest bit funny.
I'm beginning to start to agree with those who are so particular about spelling and grammar.
Now we are getting somewhere. The lads fancying himself as a budding Colin McRae. Fancies himself as Rally Champ of the Year. Sorry, don't even consider comparing your car to theirs, it takes a little more than a few lamps and a toy exhaust to sound anything like them. Oh yes, and a set of wheels and tyres probably costs more than your car when it's in the showroom.

Have you ever thought that the cop who came to your house on Friday might have had a sense of humour? Could it be that you were recognised? Don't know why you bothered calling them, after all, if they are so stupid you must have known you were wasting your time.

Glad you realised that my previous comments were serious, I thought you might have thought I was joking!
Have you ever driven a full spec Rally Car?

dozerboy
14-Feb-06, 20:48
My concern is do all these young people with the modifications to their toy cars, have enough experience and skill to drive safely? Speed is not a killer, but inapropriate speed is. Sometimes I fear for my children when a boy ned comes tearing up my residential street, with no thought for what might happen if a child or dog runs out in front of them. That's dangerous driving in my book, and if they knocked someone down, and god forbid they died, they could get jailed for that offence!! Do they ever give that a thought!!

Noisy chimneys are a nuisance to all, and cats are installed in the system for a reason and should not be removed to enhance performance. Although if driving over 3000 rpm the cat cannot cope with all the emmissions anyway.

Anyone have comments about young drivers experience / skill?

AR
14-Feb-06, 21:38
Anyone have comments about young drivers experience / skill?
Surely everyone is different.There are a good few young idiots that should not be on the road.But then again a load of pensioners are just as big a menace and some cases can be worse as they dont know what planet hey are on.

landmarker
14-Feb-06, 21:41
But then again a load of pensioners are just as big a menace and some cases can be worse as they dont know what planet hey are on.

that'll be why their insurance is that much cheaper then will it?

weeboyagee
14-Feb-06, 21:54
Erm,.......I tend to have some sympathy with the post from AR (sheesh - whats the world coming to - am I going soft? :D) How many times have I landed up behind a tail of traffic (up to half a mile long) and at the front of the train is this beedy wee wifie clinging to the steering wheel for dear life! Half sticking to a speed that they are in ultimate control of and half worried sick about what they are seeing in their rear view mirror!!! And do they ever pull over? :eyes:

Still, all the young folk can't all be tarred with the same brush - a lot of them are very canny drivers, keen to make it as a sensible road user. It's the few "neds" that spoil it for the rest.

Remember, in my opinion, it's a lot more difficult to be a driver at a young age now compared to 20 years ago (as if I would know - me being soooo young!):)

WBG :cool:

AR
14-Feb-06, 22:02
I could mention a few elderly drivers around wickand thurso whos low speed manovers are a total mystery to them, as well a clutch control, reversing and parallel parking,which on a few occasions one old woman ive seen has hit cars infront/behind her without noticing.Im not going to name people or emply who they are.It usually low speed bumps etc that they have though.
The boy racers(usually identified by crappy 106/fiesta/saxo) dont usually appear to notice speed or junctions or pedestrians, or little things like walls or trees!
Im delighted with my insurance now because its below £300 comp with protected no claims!Delighted.(At last)

weeboyagee
14-Feb-06, 22:07
on a few occasions one old woman ive seen has hit cars infront/behind her without noticing.Im not going to name people or emply who they are...
If the word "old" wasn't in there I am sure it would be Alice in Blunderland you are talking about or malcolm dog heh-heh (oops wrong country)!!!! :D

AR
14-Feb-06, 22:12
old = over 40! joke! what i should have said is elderly? yes/no?

JAWS
14-Feb-06, 22:20
I notice none of the improved performance exhaust chiels have started with, "I upgraded my brakes." or "I spent a lot of money improving the road holding.", both of which would help you get from A to B far quicker than the bit of extra power from just a change of exhaust no matter how impressive the noise.

Do the IAM run courses up here? They will teach drivers how to progress faster without them frightening themselves avoiding ditches. It will also frighten the insurance companies less and save a fortune on repairs.

I suppose doing things like that aren't as attention getting as making a lot of fuss and having everybody think, "What a prat!"

weeboyagee
14-Feb-06, 22:27
old = over 40! joke! what i should have said is elderly? yes/no?
Yes. I hit that big 40 very soon, so glad to see it was a joke! :D

AR
14-Feb-06, 22:34
In my days of "modding" my cars the first they got was sports spring and shocks, and by time poly bushes. Next up was performance pads and discs. Then the big exhaust and wheels last!My cars were(and are) always in perfect order as i hated knowing there was a fault of any form. BTW i hated seeing the cars that were scraping the ground becauser they were that low, mine were lowered only slightly, usually about an inch.
What riles me is the plonkers who can afford £700 wheels then run with no handbrake/ bald tyres, rattling suspension etc.
Will it help if i say 50? haha.

JAWS
14-Feb-06, 23:21
AR, somebody with sense at last. The best instance of how pathetic the noisy exhaust crew are happened a good while ago.
A car had been stolen locally where I used to live. When it was found the pretty alloy wheels had gone, as had the small diameter sports steering wheel and the car was left sitting on it's bodywork.

A quick look under the bonnet would have revealed something about the engine. The owners father was a chap called Ralph Broad. He used to prepare Racing Saloons, they took class wins in the European Saloon Car Championships at places such as Nurburgring, Monza and Zandvoort.
The Idiots had taken the shiny "Attention Getters" and didn't even recognise the full race spec engine and transmission daddy had fitted in his sons car.

But they did have posh wheels to impress people with!

skaterboy
14-Feb-06, 23:50
The reason that I never mentioned anything about improving the suspension set up, brake disks and pads or tyres is that I presumed you all would know that they are the first things any "sensible" modifier would replace. The suspension was the first thing I changed on my new car and what a difference it made. I know im going to get comments like, "why change the suspension on the car when the manufacturers have spent millions on research and development?", but not only does it improve the handling (if set up properly) it also enhances the looks of the car.

JAWS
15-Feb-06, 00:07
The reason that I never mentioned anything about improving the suspension set up, brake disks and pads or tyres is that I presumed you all would know that they are the first things any "sensible" modifier would replace. The suspension was the first thing I changed on my new car and what a difference it made. I know im going to get comments like, "why change the suspension on the car when the manufacturers have spent millions on research and development?", but not only does it improve the handling (if set up properly) it also enhances the looks of the car.
Skaterboy, I'll stick up for you on that one. The manufacturer set the suspension up for the spec they made the car in and not for if it has been modified. Upgrading everything else in keeping with the mods make very good sense.
I was referring to those who think the only thing needed is to "get more power".

saxovtr
15-Feb-06, 11:33
can sum1 define a boyracer?alloys new bumper lowered suspension and an exhaust-is what you lot call a boyracer?have you all seen the amount the older generation that run about in impreza's and mitsubishi evo's you lot are forgetting that these are modified as standard,they dont seem to get slated for owning a 300bhp 20grand sports car which is clearly far to fast for any road!!!! but here we all are running about in little rubbish 1.4 and 1.6s!!!!

this boyracer attitude stinks i just like to enhance the looks of my car a bit as i just dont like standard factory form(fair enuf you wil think,why dosnt he buy an already nice car)they are far to expensive and insurance is v.high!!!

golach
15-Feb-06, 11:47
Boy Racers - Immature, attention seeking, car driving people, suffering low self esteem and with a constant belief that if they do not draw attention to themselves nobody will know they exist.

See also – Class Clown, Bar Room Buffoon and Restaurant Rowdy, all of whom think that all and sundry should stop what they are doing and pay attention to their wit, wisdom and skill, all of which is usually very sadly lacking and invariably boring in the extreme.

Unfortunately many of these tendencies are totally untreatable and tend to exist throughout the life of the sufferer, or more correctly the Inflictor.

Saxovtr. see Jaws definition, I think this is what most of the generation that have common sense think of Boy Racers and most of your generation, but its okay you will grow out of it soon. Just hope you dont end up doing time before you do.

MadPict
15-Feb-06, 12:28
have you all seen the amount the older generation that run about in impreza's and mitsubishi evo's you lot are forgetting that these are modified as standard,they dont seem to get slated for owning a 300bhp 20grand sports car which is clearly far to fast for any road!!!! but here we all are running about in little rubbish 1.4 and 1.6s!!!!

These cars are the reason that the rally teams can drive around in their Subaru's and Evo's - it's called homologation.

These older generation can a) afford to buy and b) afford to run thses cars.

Your rubbish 1.4 or 1.6 doesn't have to look like a dog's dinner, all scoops, flared arches, exhaust the size of sewer pipe, ridiculously over-huge rear wings and black tints.
Subtle is sometimes better.
A car which looks almost standard but which has had the money spent under the skin - used to be called a Q-car - is far more likely to impress both the lads and ladettes.

I know which I would rather drive around in if I was a youngster again....

AR
15-Feb-06, 14:32
[QUOTE=MadPict]
[QUOTE]
its always better.I cant remember seeing an over the top body kit that actually fits properly.

skaterboy
15-Feb-06, 15:02
[QUOTE=MadPict]
[QUOTE]
its always better.I cant remember seeing an over the top body kit that actually fits properly.

AR

Clearly you didnt see my last car then. I spent thousands on the right bodykit and then getting it sprayed and fitted properly.

"Street sleepers" as they are called are sometimes better but not everyone can afford to have one. My last car was pretty damn quick standard, thats why I decided to spend my money on the suspension and exterior so it didnt look like all the others going around. Then once I was happy with what I had done I started work on the engine. The car I have now doesnt require any exterior modifications in my opinion, therefore I went for performance mods.

saxovtr
15-Feb-06, 15:42
if its the saxo iam thinking of m8 it was 1 hell of a car sat over at spring park in thurso at 1 stage didnt it?lot of money and effort went into it these people on here just dont appreciate a good car when they see 1,modified cars are looked after,ive seen rust buckets that arent even road legal being run about wick and thurso THEY SHOULD BE STOPPED AND HARASSED,car modifiers are not doing 1 thing wrong!!!

saxovtr
15-Feb-06, 15:48
another quote form a policeman *i have nothing against modifications to your car,at least you are not spending your money on drugs*

erm well go catch people buying drugs then [mad]

skaterboy
15-Feb-06, 17:04
if its the saxo iam thinking of m8 it was 1 hell of a car sat over at spring park in thurso at 1 stage didnt it?lot of money and effort went into it these people on here just dont appreciate a good car when they see 1,modified cars are looked after,ive seen rust buckets that arent even road legal being run about wick and thurso THEY SHOULD BE STOPPED AND HARASSED,car modifiers are not doing 1 thing wrong!!!

Aye, thats the very one fella!! Sold it last year but deep down I wish I hadn't but had to finance the new car somehow. It was my pride and joy and I spent many hours and pennies on her only for it to be written off by the lad that bought it off me.

saxovtr
15-Feb-06, 18:23
aye nice car loon,wot motor u got now is it modded?i c at many cars in thurso no idea whos got wot!!!

skaterboy
15-Feb-06, 19:02
Ive got a black civic type r now. Aye its had a few modifications done to it, lowered, exhaust, induction kit, etc. Going for a bit more oomph with this one.

saxovtr
15-Feb-06, 21:11
that the sy05 1 with the funny number plate?theres a few black 1s but i suspect itll b the 1 wiv the tints aswell!!! nice cars v v quick 2!!! i hear they respon well 10-15bhp with a chip and remap u considered that?

JAWS
15-Feb-06, 21:12
You ain't live until you've driven a road legal Escort with a four litre engine. Now that's what I call modified car.

How many of your cars would get the attention of a works rally crew?

skaterboy
15-Feb-06, 22:44
that the sy05 1 with the funny number plate?theres a few black 1s but i suspect itll b the 1 wiv the tints aswell!!! nice cars v v quick 2!!! i hear they respon well 10-15bhp with a chip and remap u considered that?

No, its the one in Thurso with the private plate. Ive got tints too but only light smoke. Ive got the Kpro ecu and with my mods its close to 40bhp over standard.

JAWS

Ive been in an Escort Cosworth with 450bhp in it. My mate back home has it and in all honesty I have never been in anything as fast in my life. I dont know what the top end speed is as the car is never thrashed but I would imagine it to be something ridiculous anyway.

saxovtr
15-Feb-06, 23:25
4litre escort that isnt a rally car off this day and age,they are turbocharged with around 360-400bhp to comply with fia regulations and escorts were stop being made a while back!! i was in an skyline r33 and a evo 7 and they are just the most stupid quick cars i have ever sat in g force is stupid!!!!

Bingobabe
16-Feb-06, 01:51
to be honest i think the police waste aLOT OF TIME ON trival things like for examle boy racers shouldnt they be paying more attention to the riots in kennendy and the people behind break ins did you know that every single window in kennedy has been smashed wouldnt like to live in that street thats for sure

tommy1979
16-Feb-06, 02:49
to be honest i think the police waste aLOT OF TIME ON trival things like for examle boy racers shouldnt they be paying more attention to the riots in kennendy and the people behind break ins did you know that every single window in kennedy has been smashed wouldnt like to live in that street thats for sure

Going up that way these days is like taking a trip to the wild west! the fire brigade are sick to the back teeth of getting called up there to put out the wheely bins they put on fire

JAWS
16-Feb-06, 04:37
4litre escort that isnt a rally car off this day and age,they are turbocharged with around 360-400bhp to comply with fia regulations and escorts were stop being made a while back!! i was in an skyline r33 and a evo 7 and they are just the most stupid quick cars i have ever sat in g force is stupid!!!!
More powerful than one of the toys you are likely to run about in. The engine was biult by the British Leyland Rally team. The body had completed the RAC Rally whin it was a real five day event with ond nights break, not a quick series of three day sprints.
One of the other guys Rallied a Porsche. And none of the silly four wheel drive rubbish either.

connieb19
16-Feb-06, 08:59
to be honest i think the police waste aLOT OF TIME ON trival things like for examle boy racers shouldnt they be paying more attention to the riots in kennendy and the people behind break ins did you know that every single window in kennedy has been smashed wouldnt like to live in that street thats for sureI feel really sorry for the folk in Kennedy who bought their houses a few years back..:( They have no chance of getting out of there!!

MadPict
16-Feb-06, 11:56
to be honest i think the police waste aLOT OF TIME ON trival things like for examle boy racers....

The police are concerned with upholding all aspects of the law, and if they take one irresponsible driver off the streets, thats one less to put the safety of other road users at risk.

The police all over the country are stretched beyond their abilities - not their fault the government would rather pour millions into giving them next to useless Blunkett Bobbies, instead of proper officers.

In areas more built up than Wick, if you get burgled, you'll be lucky to even see a police officer - they take your complaint over the phone then give you a crime number to pass onto your insurance company.

And as for the "Kennedy Street Riots" there are bigger fights in telephone boxes down here on a Friday and Saturday night.

saxovtr
16-Feb-06, 12:01
i feel sorry for people who live in wick theres always something stupid going on sumwhere,this recent break in is no exception,i agree bingobabe:trival thnigs like boyracers,like the copper said at least we arent spending our cash on drugs,which is very true which would you all rather?a little bit of noise and black windows which is contributing to the automotive trade,even the fuel trade wot would BP do without us lol or rather us all dealing drugs. as for the irresponsible drivers that are the immature just passed there tests type of fool who is showing off,giving us people that like going slow and showing off the money we have spent on our cars!!

MadPict
16-Feb-06, 13:13
SaxoVTR
I would rather you be a petrolhead than a smackhead anyday and if that means you cruise the streets of an evening chatting with your mates, stopping for a red pudding supper and a bottle of Irn Brew, then I'll say not another word.....

But, down here in the south, there is a very strong chance that the 3 or 4 boyracers parked in their cars on the sportsfield carpark are doing drugs. Unfortunately even in an area where there are plenty of alternative forms of entertainment, getting off your head on drugs seems to be one of the favourites. Then driving to your next dealer.....

JAWS
16-Feb-06, 14:10
Saxovtr, I might tease you over your cars, but I agree with MadPict, there are a lot worse things you could be doing.

Providing you and your mates aren't driving like lunatics then, truth to tell, you're probably more of a minor irritation than a major problem.
I rather like the sound of a nicely tuned car, but don't tell anybody, otherwise it will spoil my Grumpy Old Man act, and that's my bit of fun. :p

Tymey
16-Feb-06, 14:21
I rather like the sound of a nicely tuned car, but don't tell anybody, otherwise it will spoil my Grumpy Old Man act, and that's my bit of fun. :p

Ahhhhh it's all starting to make sense. ;)

saxovtr
16-Feb-06, 17:12
thats fine then them boyracers can do wot they want,but for the ppl like me showing off wot u got and meeting up with ppl, comparing cars and mods is my style so not every1 is on drugs so no need to have a go at boyracers!! tell me what there is else to do up here???get drunk-id rather not waste my money.

squidge
16-Feb-06, 17:39
fuffy duddies .

Now i dont usually pick up on typos but i like this one very much. Add an "l" and it becomed Fluffy duddies

I think when iam an old lady i would like to be a fluffy duddy

Cheers saxotvr:grin:

MadPict
16-Feb-06, 21:51
...and just as I was going to give him a second chance........

skaterboy
16-Feb-06, 22:16
Now i dont usually pick up on typos but i like this one very much. Add an "l" and it becomed Fluffy duddies

Typo's eh..............saxotvr!?!?!? I bet alot of us on here would like to own a TVR!! Now that IS what I call a good sounding car.

saxovtr
17-Feb-06, 12:20
tvr cerbera :) standard with sum nice chamelon pearl paint really nice and wel made cars,4.2 aint they?

saxovtr
17-Feb-06, 12:22
2nd chance ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 3rd 4th 5th chance m8 not gona bother me, now go try dig sum1else your comments are boring me:roll:

MadPict
17-Feb-06, 14:30
it was a joke.......

scotsboy
17-Feb-06, 15:11
The standard pool car at my work is a Caprice 5.7litre V8!

saxovtr
17-Feb-06, 18:44
grown up joke madpict :roll:

u come across more immature than the average boyracer

MadPict
17-Feb-06, 21:02
Just so I don't have to stare at your green skip any more - clicks ignore button....

golach
17-Feb-06, 21:06
grown up joke madpict :roll:

Define an average boyracer, I would be delighted to hear your definition [lol]

JAWS
17-Feb-06, 21:43
At last, somebody who knows the mentality of the "average boyracer". And straight from the horse's mouth.
Well, well. Now there's a shock! :p

Hand up all those who agree!

wickerinca
17-Feb-06, 21:53
Right up there:lol: :lol:

saxovtr
18-Feb-06, 00:12
you lot call boyracers immature so why dont you tell me what your average is?define how we are immature?

unicorn
18-Feb-06, 00:15
Is your car not workin too good cos why is a boyracer on the org at this time on a friday night instead of cruisin the street lol

erli
18-Feb-06, 00:33
you lot call boyracers immature so why dont you tell me what your average is?define how we are immature?

You bite at every post.;)

boxer
18-Feb-06, 00:53
i dont see the problem with puting big exausts on cars it just for looks some ppl are diffrent than otheres its justthe police haveing a nother shoot at young ppl insted of tackaling crime like brake ins and so on

Moira
18-Feb-06, 01:03

Thanks Squidge for making me laugh - sounds better fun than becoming an ordinary "fuddy" one. I'm locking this into my memory bank now for use in my dotage :grin:

Rheghead
18-Feb-06, 01:13
i dont see the problem with puting big exausts on cars it just for looks some ppl are diffrent than otheres its justthe police haveing a nother shoot at young ppl insted of tackaling crime like brake ins and so on

Do you think that if they weren't distracted by illegal exhausts then somehow they could concentrate on the more serious crimes?:roll:

boxer
18-Feb-06, 11:21
as long as the exaust has an e stamp theres nothing that can b done about it
the police have tried the whole exaust thing befor and never won not even in the court

saxovtr
18-Feb-06, 13:52
who says i cruise about if you read my previous posts,i prefer to meet up showe off the car in a car parl meet other people etc,nobody said anything about cruising round on friday nites lol,nothing wrong with modding cars just sum people are being picky,if they were so un-happy with us boyracers then they would do something about it,instead of moaning about it,obviously nothing better to do than swift through posts and start arguing nothing better to do.

willowbankbear
18-Feb-06, 14:47
Whats so good about that wheelie bin in yer posts saxovtr?????

Cant beat a bit of fishing .orgers eh? Mad Pict yer a snapper on this thread, just reeling him in sir,reeling him in hahaha:p

WeeBurd
19-Feb-06, 00:13
I only wish the boy racers took half as much pride in their written English, as they do in their cars... man, I have a headache just trying to decipher some of these posts.

I’m afraid I have a very cynical view of these pests on wheels. More often than not, it these souped up wee Saxos and such like with logos & tinted windows, that are responsible for the maniacal driving I hear every morning through the main street of our village. Yep, paying no regard to the 30mph speed limit, they drive like idiots at ridiculous speeds, invariably disturbing myself/ my husband, or my toddler from our slumber at 6:00am. Unfortunately I can’t use the words I’d like to use to describe them on here, or I’d get barred, hahaha! Thoughtless, selfish twerps that they are.

To the minority who even dare to suggest that the Police should not be bothering mere motoring offenders, please tell me why you feel it may be acceptable to break the laws which are in place to make our roads safe for all users, be it drivers, cyclists, pedestrians, and expect those who are trusted to enforce the laws to sit back and do nothing? The old argument of the Police going and “doing something more useful” is quite frankly tiring now… how often have we (and they I suspect) heard that from aggrieved drivers who are cheesed off at being pulled over? As PP has stated, they are duty bound to investigate when they have any concerns that the law may have been broken. Anyhow, if your car/documents are all up to spec, and you’ve not committed an offence, why grumble? Be relieved that the cops are doing their job, and be re-assured that for every three or four of drivers they give the all clear to, they’re bound to catch at least one who has no insurance/ is driving with defective brakes or whatever. Thus making the roads safer for everyone, yay!

I’m happy to make it clear publicly, that I have no issue with any driver who adheres to the speed limits where there is the possibility of any hazard whatsoever making itself apparent (read that as ALL the time if you wish, but I’m a realist too!), doesn’t drive up other drivers a**es, and only uses their fog lights in the fog. All this regardless of their age and make or model of car!

BTW Saxovtr, nice pint job on your car, I'm sure I had nail varnish that colour, back in the 90's...

saxovtr
19-Feb-06, 00:22
my my you lot are wound up!!! theres no point taking care with spelling bcoz woteva i say ur going against boyracers,deal with it move sumwhere else if ur not happy

WeeBurd
19-Feb-06, 00:31
Bless you, SaxoVTR, you're so sweet...:p

golach
19-Feb-06, 00:54
theres no point taking care with spelling bcoz woteva i say ur going against boyracers,
My goodness it has taken you a long time to find that out [lol]

saxovtr
20-Feb-06, 00:56
iam indeed:p :p

na never took me this long dont be stupid now!!:lol:

ice box
20-Feb-06, 01:05
Well who wants to go round the streets the same route the hole time and and show there car with there fancy new alloys and new lexcus light look at me iam so cool .

saxovtr
21-Feb-06, 00:31
if you read my posts i dont go round any circuits,lexus lights i dont like!!:lol:

willowbankbear
21-Feb-06, 02:25
Aye but yer still posting pics of council wheelie bins, Whats it all about man???[lol] [lol]

wickerinca
21-Feb-06, 03:28
This is such an amusing thread! it is great to read if you are feeling a bit low!!:grin:

skaterboy
21-Feb-06, 05:28
Aye but yer still posting pics of council wheelie bins, Whats it all about man???[lol] [lol]

I think I need to move to Wick if you get wheelie bins like that there!!! Im sick fed up with having the wheel the bin round to the front of the house every week, if I had a wheelie bin like that then I could drive it round!!

Bingobabe
21-Feb-06, 12:58
I think he meant council green coloured bins which that pic looks similar too

saxovtr
21-Feb-06, 18:04
very comical i ask a simple question i get a very nice response[lol]

Saveman
21-Feb-06, 18:26
very comical i ask a simple question i get a very nice response[lol]

motorised wheelie bins....now there's an idea.. ;)

saxovtr
21-Feb-06, 23:04
u luv it really

Niall Fernie
22-Feb-06, 10:18
Have a free avatar...

Photo editing by me :)

willowbankbear
22-Feb-06, 10:20
Have a free avatar...

Nice 1 Niall :lol:

golach
22-Feb-06, 10:21
Have a free avatar...

Well done Niall I loved it :lol:

MadPict
22-Feb-06, 12:45
Shouldn't that have Burberry stripes down the side Niall?

weeboyagee
22-Feb-06, 14:31
......is there not supposed to be a handle on the roof? :lol:

AR
22-Feb-06, 14:33
Is that the saxo or bin that should have a handle on top?

weeboyagee
22-Feb-06, 14:37
.......either - both need it to be picked up. Also, I thought saxo's were sold with a complimentary tin opener, no?

squidge
22-Feb-06, 14:43
Jeepers you lot are such car snobs - looking down your noses at those people who dont drive what you think is a "cool" car!!!!

Havent you all driven some not so cool cars in your time - i know i have and to be honest i still am. Disposable motoring I call it. My wee N registered Punto cost me £500 quid with 12 months MOT and ten months tax on it. It is great and it does me fine. Before that i drove a M registered Kia Pride which had tape along the bottom of the doors cos they were rusty but i ran it for 6 months and it cost me £50 with 8 months MOT and three months tax. It took me to manchester and back and it picked its toes up quite nicely.

Id like to know when you were saxotvr's age what you were driving - ill bet there were a few allegros in amongst them [lol]

weeboyagee
22-Feb-06, 14:50
Hahahahahaha squidge! Lunch time laugh for me that was! Kia and Pride - contradiction of terms in one name :) First car was Black, Orion, 1.6i ghia with a sun roof and go-faster stripes, second car (after a wee upset with the first one!) was the exact same!

C'mon squidge - admit it - you really are jealous - I have your PM's remember!!!!!!!! :p

squidge
22-Feb-06, 14:55
WBG

I havent a jealous bone in my body.:roll: Cars are a necessity to me and whilst i like to drive a nice one i cant afford to drive anything that costs more than £500. If i was a handsome rich eligible batchelor like you I would want a posh car too but im a frumpy plain POOR single mum and i DONT CARE!!!!!!

And go faster stripes!!!! come on now!!! Altho had it been a lovely black capri with tinted windows it might have made my heart go faster :p

MadPict
22-Feb-06, 16:18
Squidge,
The difference is we don't go plastering our "hot wheels" all over the interwebnetland making them out to be "hot" or "cool" or whatever the term for a mobile dumpster might be these days.

When I was Saxos age (whatever it might be) I couldn't afford a car. When I did eventually get a car I certainly couldn't afford to tart it up as some of these boyracers tend to do.

And before you accuse me of being snobby about anything, the ones round my neck of the wood are just as sad - N reg 206's with flared arches, whaletails, deep front spoilers, tints and huge pipes all on the standard engine....even makes my wife roll her eyes and usually say "what does he think he looks like"....

squidge
22-Feb-06, 16:53
Why does it matter mad pict??? If these kids have disposable income why shouldnt they spend money on tarting up their cars? I had disposable income when i was 18 and 19 and working and living at home paying keep to my mum. I spent it on high heeled shoes and handbags and fancy lacy stockings and expensive make up and things. I paraded up and down the streets of my home town looking like something out of dynasty ( it WAS the eighties folks). People didnt have cars then like they do now and if a boy or girl wants to spend his money on tarting up his car then why not?? and why would we think the stuff they like is cool? We are OLD!!!!

The tone of this thread has been very "look down the noses at them" in places - as if they are somehow ridiculous and it makes me feel like we have forgotton what its like to be young and passionate about something. I think its GREAT that kids spend time tinkering with cars - knowing whats going on under the bonnet - making them the best they can afford to make them and ensuring they look as good as they can be. Whether that is a brand spanking new fancy sports car or an N registered 206 what is it that gets people all superior about it? Saxotvr has said clearly that he doesnt race irresponsibly around the streets so why slag him off all the time?

We should be pleased they arent spending it on heroin or crack surely!!!! Or, just as bad to some, cigarettes and alcohol!!!

MadPict
22-Feb-06, 18:02
...or wimmin.......:D

squidge
22-Feb-06, 18:09
Now MadPict sweetie - that would be money well spent!!!!

wickerinca
22-Feb-06, 19:53
I have to admit that I have an ex-boyracer at home! Youngest son was sorta one and he still can't leave a car to it's original specs. Oldest son is similar but more like WBG...preferred to buy a 'fancier' one to start with!
Afraid that it is a genetic thing as their father and I have to 'tinker' too...............and my father got me started on that!!

We still like our 'performance' cars and we work hard for our money to buy them.

I think that the boyracer culture is a phase that some young men.......and young :roll: ladies........go through and eventually grow up!! Well most of them do!!

saxovtr
22-Feb-06, 21:12
agreed with squidge!!!

weeboyagee
22-Feb-06, 22:17
.....when i was 18 and 19....I spent it on high heeled shoes....handbags...fancy lacy stockings....and expensive make up.....
WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! What happened? :D

and why would we think the stuff they like is cool?...We are OLD!!!!
No we're not!!!!......nearly,:)......but not!

The tone of this thread has been very "look down the noses at them" in places - as if they are somehow ridiculous and it makes me feel like we have forgotton what its like to be young and passionate about something.
Nahhhh,......remember a thread you and I were involved in before squidge where the two of us were the only ones sticking up for them - you landed up remembering kisses and young love and all that - I remembered me and my mates going through the cobbled part of the precinct (as was!) with my mate through the sunroof wolf whistling at the girls on the street (as well as doing his impression of the moon on a half face!) We don't forget that! We had fun too when we were their age.

Saxotvr has said clearly that he doesnt race irresponsibly around the streets so why slag him off all the time?
Nobody is slagging him off the whole time - go back to the beginning of the thread and see what happens within the first few pages. I was understanding the points put forward, gave him credit where it was due - but then had to put up with his "get off my train" attitude. Nuff's enuff!

He seems to have calmed down now and we're all having a bit of fun here - but, errrrr......like has already been said MadPict knows how to feed the hook and line and then reel them in - he's having a bit of fun!!!!

Looks like he has caught two fish on his line now though methinks, eh squidge? ;)

We should be pleased they arent spending it on heroin or crack surely!!!! Or, just as bad to some, cigarettes and alcohol!!!
Ermmm,......who says these young guns aren't doing some if not all of that as well as spending on their cars?

Off for a wee spin to remember my youth - that'll be a long drive...........:)

golach
22-Feb-06, 22:27

No we're not!!!!......nearly,:)......but not!

Nahhhh,......remember a thread you and I were involved in before squidge where the two of us were the only ones sticking up for them - you landed up remembering kisses and young love and all that - I remembered me and my mates going through the cobbled part of the precinct (as was!) with my mate through the sunroof wolf whistling at the girls on the street (as well as doing his impression of the moon on a half face!) We don't forget that! We had fun too when we were their age.

Nobody is slagging him off the whole time - go back to the beginning of the thread and see what happens within the first few pages. I was understanding the points put forward, gave him credit where it was due - but then had to put up with his "get off my train" attitude. Nuff's enuff!

He seems to have calmed down now and we're all having a bit of fun here - but, errrrr......like has already been said MadPict knows how to feed the hook and line and then reel them in - he's having a bit of fun!!!!

Looks like he has caught two fish on his line now though methinks, eh squidge? ;)

Ermmm,......who says these young guns aren't doing some if not all of that as well as spending on their cars?

Off for a wee spin to remember my youth - that'll be a long drive...........:)

Well said WBG, Squidge is her usual self, kindness to all the world and teenagers, forgive her please WBG, she sees through rose tinted specs, in Squidge's life every thing is all sweeetneess and roses, she is a lovely wuman really. But she does not understand, the yob mentality of some in this thread, trying to tell their elders and betters that a tarted up wheelie bin is a special car.

weeboyagee
22-Feb-06, 22:51
I forgive her golach, I forgive her........:D

MadPict
23-Feb-06, 00:19
......like has already been said MadPict knows how to feed the hook and line and then reel them in - he's having a bit of fun!!!!

Errrr, one thing I am not is a troll.....

squidge
23-Feb-06, 10:40

I got married and had children and found i had no money - now im thrifty with handbags and make up but the high heels and stockings thing still remains :lol:

But she does not understand, the yob mentality of some in this thread, trying to tell their elders and betters that a tarted up wheelie bin is a special car.

Golach my old friend - i understand perfectly well that it ISNT necessarily "yob culture" - mother of boys remember!!!! And come on folks isnt your first car always "a special car" whether thats an old VW beetle or morris minor or a citroen saxo - whats the difference?

weeboyagee
23-Feb-06, 10:46
an old VW beetle or morris minor or a citroen saxo - whats the difference?
....erm,........one's a wheelie bin?

Do I get a prize for the answer squidge? :D

squidge
23-Feb-06, 11:22
Aye here it is

http://www.50mmlosangeles.com/images/profiles/lips%20kiss_1128553025.jpg

AR
23-Feb-06, 15:06
it has been mentioned about being car snobs. I have been degrading saxos. Im not a snob, i dont think there is anything wrong with corsas, fiestas, or polos(tasteful ones) but saxos are plain crap in any form.A tarted 106 if i remember correctly. Hundreds of years ago (it feels like it) when the high st was open i had a nova....never french junk though.