PDA

View Full Version : Homeworking - email scam

Mrs Sweetie
12-Jan-09, 10:51
Apologies if this has been posted before and I've missed the thread.

I have received an email from allegedly a UK company offering me the chance to work from home. This "UK company" say it is having success selling its products aborad but it is against their policy to accept payments from abroad for those products. All I have to do is accept payments into my bank account from the USA then send them onto the company via Western Union Transfer.

I'm sure orgers will realise this is a money laundering scam and should not be touched with a barge pole but I am posting this because I personally know of one person caught by this. Anyone found guilty of money laundering can be jailed for up to 14 years and receive an unlimited fine.

If you receive an email like this it can be forwarded to reports@banksafeonline.org.uk for investigation.to display email address, please enable JavaScript.

ett23
12-Jan-09, 10:56
We always delete these sort of e-mails without even reading - not worth looking at. In fact most spam end up in the delete box anyway automatically!

kitty kat
12-Jan-09, 11:50
i got one for you an email i have received

Dear Customer,

Good day to you. We have been waiting for you to contact us for your
Confirmable Package that is
registered with us for shipping of your Package to your residential
location. This is to inform
you that we are in possession of your Parcel (which include a certified
cheque worth of
$500,000.00 USD and other vital documents) that we facilitate the
clearance of the cheque in your
country, which is to be couriered to you.
It is the usual practice of our organization to conduct a proper
verification of all Parkages that
we are to delivered, to ensure that they
are valid. Be rest assured that your cheque has been confirmed valid and
true and delivery will be
made once you have meet the necessary requirements.
The package is registered with us for mailing by the Online Lottery Award
Promo Board as claimed,
in England, United Kingdom. We are sending you this email because your
package is been registered
on a Special Order.
What you have to do now, is to contact our Delivery Department for
immediate dispatchment of your
package to your residencial address. Note that as soon as our Delivery
Team confirms your
informations, it will take only one working day (24 hours) for your
package to arrive it
designated destination.
For your information, the Mail, VAT & Shipping fees have been paid by the
Lottery Award Promo
Board before your package was registered. What you need to pay is the
Security Keeping fee of the
FedEx company as stated in our privacy terms & condition page, in order to
secured your Parkage.
The cost for the Security Keeping fee is $286 USD.
This is mandatory, kindly complete the below form to reconfirm your Postal
information:
FULL
NAMES:.......................................TELEP HONE:..................................
POSTAL
ADDRESS:..........................CITY:..........
OCCUPATION...................STATE:............... .............................

is there any where i can report this i am not signed up to any lottery place

Mrs Sweetie
12-Jan-09, 11:59
There are some absolute crackers on the go, aren't there! You do wonder how people fall for them but having known someone who did get sucked in about 4 years ago I thought I'd mention this particular one, especially in the current economic climate. ;)

Mik.M.
12-Jan-09, 12:30
People who believe these scams should not be allowed access to a computer,nor should they be allowed out on thier own. Greedy people who think they can get something for nothing are welcome to them but don`t come on here moaning that you have been conned. Don`t you watch Phonejacker on Channel 4?

silverfox57
12-Jan-09, 13:09
have to agree with above post,delete all spam box,as even if you open some,of spam mail,they know your email address is active,and can use to sent many scam emails,

kriklah
12-Jan-09, 13:21
i get loads, variations of the lottery win, the nigeiran dead businessman funds release, and the toga bank cleared funds. best one to date was an email from the FBI no less!!! telling me they had investigated this funds release and confirm it is legitimate and to call this number with name/address/bank blaa blaa blaa. the lengths some people will go to to commit fraud is rediculous.

Kodiak
12-Jan-09, 14:57
According to the Spam I get I have Bank Accounts in Every Bank going as well as Building Socities. They all say the same thing that my account is restricted until I confirm my Account Number and personal Details.

Mind you Spam is getting to be a real problem as I am gettin between 800 to 1000 Spam a day at present.

Mrs Sweetie
12-Jan-09, 15:20
don`t come on here moaning that you have been conned.

I was not aware anybody had moaned that they had been conned.

have to agree with above post,delete all spam box,as even if you open some,of spam mail,they know your email address is active,and can use to sent many scam emails,

You are quite right, opening them does indicate an active address. Unfortunately so does previewing them, I believe. If my emails aren't automatically sent to the junk folder then they are all available for preview which is something I have to put up with. I, too, delete them all without opening or responding but this particular one caught my eye on preview.

I would be very happy to have funds in the amount of accounts the scammers tell me I have. :lol:

balto
12-Jan-09, 16:21
People who beleive these scams should not be allowed access to a computer,nor should they be allowed out on thier own. Greedy people who think they can get something for nothing are welcome to them but don`t come on here moaning that you have been conned. Don`t you watch Phonejacker on Channel 4?from what i have read mrs sweetie did not come on to moan she had been conned, but to warn other folk of this scam, yes while most of us wouldnt entertain emails like this, you will get some person desperate for a bit of cash, so will see it as an opportunity.

Apologies if this has been posted before and I've missed the thread.

I have received an email from allegedly a UK company offering me the chance to work from home. This "UK company" say it is having success selling its products aborad but it is against their policy to accept payments from abroad for those products. All I have to do is accept payments into my bank account from the USA then send them onto the company via Western Union Transfer.

I'm sure orgers will realise this is a money laundering scam and should not be touched with a barge pole but I am posting this because I personally know of one person caught by this. Anyone found guilty of money laundering can be jailed for up to 14 years and receive an unlimited fine.

If you receive an email like this it can be forwarded to reports@banksafeonline.org.uk for investigation.to display email address, please enable JavaScript.thanks for the warning, thankfully i just deleate any rubbish like this.

Mik.M.
12-Jan-09, 16:59
from what i have read mrs sweetie did not come on to moan she had been conned, but to warn other folk of this scam, yes while most of us wouldnt entertain emails like this, you will get some person desperate for a bit of cash, so will see it as an opportunity.

thanks for the warning, thankfully i just deleate any rubbish like this.
What I should have said was IF you fall for these then don`t come on here moaning,not that she was moaning.

Mrs Sweetie
12-Jan-09, 18:01
Thanks for the clarification Miknhev. :)