PDA

View Full Version : Searching for old photos of fishing boat "Girl Mina WK172"

Even Chance
12-Jan-09, 09:54
Hi all,
I hope some of you out there have old photos of the Wick fishing boat "Girl Mina" WK 172 in your collections somewhere. Could you please have a look for me and allow me to copy them if possible?

I already have all the photos that are posted on the internet on various boat websites. Ships Nostalgia/Trawler photos etc, as well as two posted on the Orkney communities website after a similar request as this one.

She was built in Wick, by Dan Alexander (where the medical center is now), in 1932, for my Great Grandfather, William Stewart.
She operated from Wick until she was sold to Orkney owners.

I am making a 1/2" to the foot scale model of her at the moment, and this is what I require the photos for.
I would be greatly indebted for any pics and info on this old lady.

I eagerly await your response,

Even Chance
12-Jan-09, 15:55
I forgot to say that slides are OK as well, as I can scan them into the computer.

Thanks.

Even Chance
13-Jan-09, 09:43
I will look after all photos borrowed, and have them returned within an hour if your local.
If you have a scanner, and can E-mail them, PM me, and I can give you my E-mail address.

Thanks.

evelyn
13-Jan-09, 20:26
There are a few photos of the Mina on trawlerphotos.com. They are in the Gallery section for vintage boats where there is a search facility (but it sometimes doesn`t work right).

Please be warned though, once you go on that site, you`ll be on it for hours. It is a gem of a website.

Good hunting

evelyn
13-Jan-09, 20:28
Sorry Even Chance I didna read your post thoroughly. You`ve obviously seen that site before.

Kenn
13-Jan-09, 22:46
Have you contacted Wick Heritage Centre, they have a marvellous collection of photos.

Even Chance
14-Jan-09, 09:42
Hi Evelyn, Lizz,
Thanks for responding.
I have around 9 photos of her now through the years, and I nearly have enough information to finish the model. The researching is the most important part, as I want to have it as historically accurate as possible.
I am making models of all the boats that my Great Grandfather William Stewart owned/co-owned and skippered during his life.
They are-

WK109 "Adequate" 77 foot long ZULU style sailing herring drifter- I have this model completed. It was the second fishing boat in Scotland to have an auxillary engine fitted, in 1902, just 6 months after it was built.

WK277 "Mizpah" 80foot long Zulu style herring drifter, converted to motor power only.

WK217 "Spectrum" Steel hulled Steam Drifter, made famous by being at the forefront of Seine net usage and technology.

WK172 "Girl Mina" 50 foot long dual purpose motor boat, built 1932 by Dan Alexander.

If there are any photos of these boats around, they would be greatfully accepted.
I still have to try the Heritage Center yet. I know that they have a fantastic collection. I have to find a suitable contact within the center that can help me yet.
Any takers?

Kirdon
14-Jan-09, 12:17
Try Andy Anderson (ex school teacher) who has a great knowledge of the fishing boat photo's that the heritage centre have and is very helpful and I am sure would love to help you in any way posssible.

jock leith
15-Jan-09, 00:40
Hi Even Chance have you looked at the thread about Wick Fishing boats some of the orgers who have contributed to this thread would be a great source of contact for you.
The thread is on page 10 now
regards jl