PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday Motown

hotrod4
12-Jan-09, 06:16
Motown is now 50 years old. One of the most influential labels ever has hit the big 50.Dont think theres a person alive who doesnt like at least one motown song.
The only other label that ever came close was Stax which was a truly great label.
But hey big up Motown ,well nearly all of the artistes that still have their own skin.;)

Kenneth
12-Jan-09, 10:03
I love motown!!!!!!!!

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Jan-09, 10:45
Motown were a great label until they moved out to LA. More of a Stax fan, myself, I was lucky enough to visit Stax earlier last year. Some place indeed.

Kenneth
12-Jan-09, 14:32
dont know a lot bout the history myself but would have loved to have seen that programme a couple of nights ago, what channel was it on, maybe catch it on the net somewhere.

all i know is i love sticking motownish (dont know if these are all motown records) tunes on in the central when im workin. The Tams, Marvin Gaye, Fontella Bass, Martha Reeves, Jean Knight, Otis Redding, Bill Withers, CURTIS MAYFIELD, and oh god Aretha Franklin, Drown in My Own Tears, now thats a tune. And Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You), pure class.

hotrod4
12-Jan-09, 21:48
Motown and stax both produced some of the most "Soulful" and amazing tracks ever. Dont think theres ever been a label who could hold a candle to the early Motown and Stax sounds.

futurelegends
12-Jan-09, 22:15
And to think Berry Gordy started it all with a loan of $800.

Marvin Gaye's version of "I heard it through the grapevine" is my all time favourite choon.

Kenneth
13-Jan-09, 10:48
Bill Withers - Aint No Sunshine
The bit where the violins kick in, aww my goodness yes!

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas - Heatwave
Cracking fast pace tune!

Mr Bigstuff by Jean Knight, what a tune to strut to!