PDA

View Full Version : 'Slumdog Millionaire'

percy toboggan
11-Jan-09, 20:35
Many of you will have deduced I love my dvd's and often wax lyrical within my limited abilities to do so. I'm becoming a bit of a couch-slouch of late but today resolved to 'get out more' I managed it to the flicks....

Some films seem to cry out for a first viewing at 'The Cinema' ...'Saving Private Ryan' ...'Titanic' ...and into this category slides 'Slumdog Millionaire'...no so much a film as a cinematic experience.
The theatre was cold...outside it was yet another cheerless Lancashire afternoon with an increasingly bitter wind that carved lumps off you as it went straight through. We arrived a little too early at the third of our choice of local 'multpilex' paying just over a tenner to get two of us in out of the cold.

Legroom was incredible - about ten feet...and the place was less than half full in spite of my dire warnings of it selling out - no chance....not enough people interested I guess in the fate of an Indian slum kid...but word will spread. The seat was comfy...might I fall asleep (again?) no chance...not to-day. As the ads - many funded to my bafflement by the BBC in a search for younger viewers - passed over my head I was mildly surprised to see a fairly graphic anti-gonnorhea / chlamydia film - we never had those back when going to ther flicks was a weekly passion of mine. The Usherette at the Essoldo in Chorlton-cum-Hardy would have dropped her lollies!

Apologies if I've spelt 'em wrongly - they're strangers to me. My life has been sheltered...a bit like a bus stop really. One shiney good looking one came along... I got on it and bought a ticket to the terminus.

Any road up back to Slumdog.. - - you have to go and see this film if...
a) you care a fig about people, no matter their skin tone.
b)you like Indian music
c) Don't believe the stories about this beinbg a 'feelgood' movie because it isn't. I'd not have gone to the trouble of going to the cinema to see a 'feelgood' film...I'm happily grumpy much of the time. Those who think this is 'feelgood' lack a social conscience...assuming they have a brain in which to house one.
d)You enjoy quizzes
e)like most people with an ounce of human decency you enjoy the triumph of good over evil.

This is no 'Mamma-Mia' it won't plaster a silly grin over your face nor will it give you good dreams.

The scenes of the aforementioned slums are an affront to decency. Acre upon acre of corrugated tin rooves which shelter millions of the helpless and the truly hopeless. For hope must be in short supply in such a terrible place. The high buildings which are rising alongside the shanty might offer some of course...a job in a call centre as a 'phone-basher' perhaps.
From such a hive of overcrowded industry comes our hero. In unlikely guise.

The film is a series of flashbacks detailing Jamal's life so far. And what a life it had been. I'll not spoil it for you but he somehow survived childhood with only mental scars and many of his contempories were not so lucky. His big brother Salem had a hand in said survival and the love of his like Latika drove him on. The evil that men do is well depicted. It doesn't stop the lad arriving on the telly facing a 20,000,000 million Rupee question before a 90,000,000 audience. Add to the mix a quiz host who makes Chris Tarrant look as innocent and charming as er...Michael Miles anyone?
Any fantasy can engineer the outcome. This one was unlikely , but apt. Two hours plus flew by...
...We exited in darkness talking about what we'd just seen - always a good sign. My Shining Omnibus was gushing in her praise. I was slightly taken aback by this down to earth woman's enthusiasm but had to admit we'd just enjoyed a film extravaganza.
A decidedly human story in a place where humanity teems, and the currency of survival is a little less of a lottery now that prosperity for some is knocking at the door but they have a long, long way to go. This was an eye opener and puts the credit crunch in perspective.
If you DO go then DO NOT LEAVE before the end credits have rolled.

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 20:49
Thank you for the review. I was planning going to see the film and this has definitley persuaded me to go. I love dark hard hitting films and am not a big fan off the big hollywood flashy pants all action movie. This sounds ideal.
I have always wondered what Jonathan Ross is doing since his suspension from the beeb......are you he?

Sapphire2803
11-Jan-09, 20:54
Eee by 'eck! (or something)

Percy's back on form :D Did you happen to post that on your blog? You should.

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 21:44
Have the DVD must get round to watching it.Some critics are saying its the best film of the year and its only January!! Big praise indeed must watch it this week.

Kevin Milkins
12-Jan-09, 01:47
Very typical of the style of Billy Boyle I thought with the same sought of feel to it as Train Spotting with even the person down the toilet scene.:eek:

I enjoyed the film over all and would give it an 8 out of 10 as something worth a look.

It was comforting for me to see that I am not the only silly Billy that has burned his willy with a chilli.:eek:lol (those in the know will know)

A pretty good description and review I would say Percy.

Margaret M.
12-Jan-09, 15:24
I haven't seen it yet but it won four Golden Globes yesterday for best drama, director, screenplay and music and it's looking like an Oscar or two may well be coming their way. Based on your great review, Percy, it seems the awards are well deserved.

George Brims
12-Jan-09, 19:50
This is no 'Mamma-Mia' it won't plaster a silly grin over your face nor will it give you good dreams.
I don't understand that line Percy. Mama Mia is to me an unmitigated nightmare.

scorrie
12-Jan-09, 20:21
[SIZE=2]The scenes of the aforementioned slums are an affront to decency. Acre upon acre of corrugated tin rooves which shelter millions of the helpless and the truly hopeless. For hope must be in short supply in such a terrible place. The high buildings which are rising alongside the shanty might offer some of course...a job in a call centre as a 'phone-basher' perhaps

Enough of Manchester, what were conditions like in India? ;)

percy toboggan
12-Jan-09, 20:31
I don't understand that line Percy. Mama Mia is to me an unmitigated nightmare.

Hi George, I was trying to demonstrate it's not a feelgoodmovie. I'm sorry you didn't like Mamma-Mia. I loved it...but then I love Abba's music- perfect pop. MM put a big daft grin on my face as it helped me connect with, I think , my softer vaguely female type side. Add the sunshine, the radiant bevy of lovely women and it amounted to an hour and a half of blessed escapism.

I've also enjoyed There Will Be Blood and 'In Bruges' srecently so I'm neither going soft, nor on the turn.

He hoped.[lol]

percy toboggan
12-Jan-09, 20:32
Enough of Manchester, what were conditions like in India? ;)

You've been to Hulme then?

lovely photo of Kate Bush by the way...what a sensuous countenance she had.

scorrie
13-Jan-09, 11:58
lovely photo of Kate Bush by the way...what a sensuous countenance she had.

I never noticed at the time, as my eyes never rose any higher then her "Wuthering Heights" ;)

rich
13-Jan-09, 16:06
Not everybody is a fan of this movie.
One critic describes it as "a movie by westerners, for westerners so they can feel good about themselves that they have captured the real spirit of India."
Salomon (spelling???) Rushdie doesn't like it.
And we have yet to hear from the Indian clritics.
I of course have no axe to grind because I haven't seen the movie - I'll catch it on DVD next year.
But make your own minds up:

http://blog.spout.com/2009/01/12/slumdog-millionaire-the-backlash-begins/

rich
13-Jan-09, 16:24
I'm not the only person to express an opinion about movies I have not seen. Today's new York Times carries this little gem!

“Slumdog Millionaire” has yet to be screened in Mumbai, but that hasn’t stopped the Indian film capital from celebrating. Newspaper headlines captured the city’s pride after the Golden Globe awards on Sunday night, when the movie, set in the gritty streets of Mumbai, took home four awards, including best dramatic picture, The Associated Press reported. “The $lumdog Has Its Day,” the Times of India said while the Hindustan Times declared “Indian tale catches global fancy.” The movie was also honored with awards for best director for Danny Boyle, best screenplay for Simon Beaufoy and best original score for the Indian composer A.R. Rahman. Mr. Rahman’s award inspired particular pride for the country and city of Mumbai, which produces more than 200 films a year, according to Subir Malik, an Indian musician. “It was brilliant, it may sound cliched, but it felt very good seeing Rahman winning an award and our own guys like Anil Kapoor on the same stage as Brad Pitt,” he said. The film will be released in India on Jan. 23.

percy toboggan
13-Jan-09, 18:24
Not everybody is a fan of this movie.
One critic describes it as "a movie by westerners, for westerners so they can feel good about themselves that they have captured the real spirit of India."
Salomon (spelling???) Rushdie doesn't like it.
And we have yet to hear from the Indian clritics.
I of course have no axe to grind because I haven't seen the movie - I'll catch it on DVD next year.
But make your own minds up:

http://blog.spout.com/2009/01/12/slumdog-millionaire-the-backlash-begins/

I seldom follow links.Yours is no exception...

...No 'axe to grind' ?
It doesn't usually deter thee.
The real 'spirit of India' beats within the heart of the people.
A people who embraced democracy - even at the dirt poorest level and turn out to vote. Who survived western atrocities like Bhopal and persevered to become a leading economy because of their thirst for education and to better themselves. They even made railways work for everybody- even the poor beggars clinging to the roof.

The spirit of 'India' cannot be encapsulated by any western film-maker who confines himself to big cities. Boyle is a humble man who must have been looking for new angles. I'm more sceptical of 'Celador' the producers of 'Millionaire' who will have made yet another mint out of this film.

Given Boyle's movie catalogue I'm minded to think of 'Twenty Eight Years Later' and contemplate the socio-economic divide in Anglo-Indian terms 2037...I think it might have narrowed somewhat. Largely due to the 'spirit of India' which is conveyed partly in the movie, but partly by it's apparent hunger to succeed.

No doubt the odd lummox like Salmon Rushdie will spew forth all manner of Mumbai-Jumbo to knock this film...the truth is it is well worth seeing.

Treat yerself to a cinema seat - you can probably afford it...and if you regret it I'll refund the money.

percy toboggan
15-Jan-09, 19:28
Golden Gobes and DAFTAS...nominations.
this film is being well received.

I wonder if Benjamin Button will steal Slumdog's thunder though.

wifie
10-Feb-09, 01:24
7 out of it's 11 nominations in the Baftas! I have not seen this yet but wonder if the fact it, or any other film for that matter, has won awards would make you go see a film!

Anne x
10-Feb-09, 01:39
No !! I make my own choices grew up in a house dominated by sayings like good film on the beeb or whatever tonight ""We must watch this film" its got 3 stars baftas oscars etc or whatever in it usually was a load of nonsense have never really been influenced by panels or judges and there opinions
Now a good Novel followed by a good adaptation in film is totallly different and only the very few achieve that

jock leith
10-Feb-09, 09:13
No !! I make my own choices grew up in a house dominated by sayings like good film on the beeb or whatever tonight ""We must watch this film" its got 3 stars baftas oscars etc or whatever in it usually was a load of nonsense have never really been influenced by panels or judges and there opinions
Now a good Novel followed by a good adaptation in film is totallly different and only the very few achieve that
I agree with you that very few films stick with the story as it's written.Even classics like Jaws did not manage to keep true to the book.
My brother-in law has worked on lots of movies with Peter Jackson,and is the proud owner of 2 Oscars,one for "Lord of the Rings Return of the KIng and one for "King Kong".He has just finished working on "The Lovely Bones" also by Peter Jackson,if you have read the book you can imagine how difficult it will be to portray how each indvidual views what Heaven is like.The film will be released later this year,and is tipped by him to be another box office hit.He tells me the film sticks to the books storyline,so if you like decent films keep an eye out for this one
Regards JL