PDA

View Full Version : Injured Cat

BalmoreSSPCA
11-Jan-09, 20:21
Please forgive me for posting this on the general forum but I need the widest coverage for this post.

Today I picked up a Tortoishell Cat from the Dunnet Avenue area in Wick. Unfortunately this poor thing has been involved in an accident and requires veterinary attention urgently. I am appealling to the Orgers to find the owners of this cat. It is a middle aged (according to the vet)tortoishell cat with white along the back of the neck and legs. It is a friendly cat and I am sure it belongs to someone. Is this your cat or do you know whose cat it might be? I really need to find its owner by tomorrow morning as a decision has to be made as to the treatment of this cat. Many thanks.

Please PM me with any details

Audrey
SSPCA Inspector

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 20:31
What do you mean by 'a decision has to be made'?, surely if the cat requires urgent veterinary attention it should be given, regardless if the owner can be traced or not?, or has it become all about money and the poor thing will be left to suffer or put to sleep if no one claims the animal?

Sapphire2803
11-Jan-09, 20:46
I should imagine that even the SSPCA have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to cost. I doubt they have a money tree any more than any of us.
If the cat will need ongoing treatment, then it's not likely to be easy to home.

However, the owners may have insurance that would cover all the costs.

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 20:58
Sorry, my post maybe came accross wrong, i wasn't having a go at the SSPCA for not stumping up the money for treatment, more having a go at the vet for not performing the surgery without being financially compensated, surely the job of a vet is to help the animal, i'm not saying that vets should be doing all their work for free, but surely on ocassions like this when the owner can't be located the vet should still be doing to help the cat?

KCI
11-Jan-09, 21:09
If the owners are not found, then I would certainly be willing to give a donation to help pay for the cost of treatment. I would hate to see a cat suffer.

BalmoreSSPCA
11-Jan-09, 21:11
Oh Dear I had hoped that by posting this on The Org that I would be able to trace the owner of the cat so they could have a say in the treatment of this cat. At no point did I say that the SSPCA were not willing to pay for the treatment of this cat. This poor cat is in the vets at the moment having been made comfortable with pain killers and sedation. It is the vets suggestion that the front leg of this poor soul will have to be amputated but if an owner came forward and insisted on trying to save the leg then that would mean more intensive operations etc for the cat. That is the only reason why I asked for the help of the Orgers, not to spark of a slagging match of the SSPCA

Audrey
SSPCA Inspector

BalmoreSSPCA
11-Jan-09, 21:14
Many thanks KCI for your kind offer but I can assure you that this cat will not be allowed to suffer at all. He is in the best place now. Your kindness has to be admired.

KCI
11-Jan-09, 21:14
I'll get my husband to ask at work tomorrow, to see if anyone knows who the cat belongs to.
We live near Dunnet Avenue, but can't think of anyone with a tortoiseshell cat. Will certainly ask around in the morning.

Hibeechick
11-Jan-09, 21:18
I'll get my husband to ask at work tomorrow, to see if anyone knows who the cat belongs to.
We live near Dunnet Avenue, but can't think of anyone with a tortoiseshell cat. Will certainly ask around in the morning.

Same her KCI, can't think on anyone actually in Dunnet Ave, but if the cat has wandered the poor wee thing could have come from anywhere.

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 21:28
Oh Dear I had hoped that by posting this on The Org that I would be able to trace the owner of the cat so they could have a say in the treatment of this cat. At no point did I say that the SSPCA were not willing to pay for the treatment of this cat. This poor cat is in the vets at the moment having been made comfortable with pain killers and sedation. It is the vets suggestion that the front leg of this poor soul will have to be amputated but if an owner came forward and insisted on trying to save the leg then that would mean more intensive operations etc for the cat. That is the only reason why I asked for the help of the Orgers, not to spark of a slagging match of the SSPCA

Audrey
SSPCA Inspector

Appologies if that's how my post came across, that was not my intention, i know the SSPCA do a fantastic job with no goverment funding, i would never slag them off, from the info given in your original post it seemed (at least to me) that it was a life or death thing for the poor puss and i assumed that the SSPCA would have a limit for treatment that maybe this cat exceded, and it seemed that the vet wouldnt perform surgery unless the owner could be found, i know i shouldn't have jumped to conclusions without all the information, but i am such an animal lover that your post provoked that reaction from me, again, sorry.

Sapphire2803
11-Jan-09, 22:10
Just bumping this back to the top.

Hey Mods! :D Any chance of a sticky for this for 24 hours or so?

purplelady
12-Jan-09, 00:10
hope whoever the cat belongs to is reunited soon do hope if they are not on the org some they know is and will see this post xxxx

Minty
12-Jan-09, 20:30
Have just spoken to a relative who lives in the area, they are going to ask around to see if anyone knows who may own the Cat.
Keep up the good work at the centre, your hard work is appreciated :)

KCI
12-Jan-09, 20:32
Any updates on the cat's condition, or if the owners have been found yet?

Have been asking around, but no-one seems to know who the owners are.

BalmoreSSPCA
12-Jan-09, 21:12
It is with a heavy heart that I have to inform you that unfortunately this poor cat died during the night whilst at the vets. It is thought that the wee soul had internal injuries as well as the damaged leg. Rest in peace my feline friend.

Audrey

SSPCA Inspector

KCI
12-Jan-09, 21:15
That is such a shame. Poor wee cat. :(

teenybash
12-Jan-09, 21:26
A sad tale indeed................Sleep peacefully little one. :~(

binbob
12-Jan-09, 21:40
aww,,so sorry..poor wee mite.at least no more suffering.
well done ,audrey.as i said before i could not do ur job.

purplelady
12-Jan-09, 23:47
That is so so sad poor wee thing xxxxxxxxxx

ShelleyCowie
13-Jan-09, 01:00
That is really sad!!

Well done to balmore though for all they done!