PDA

View Full Version : Something good about Wick?

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 11:28
There are 3 different threads that paint Wick as a bad place to live. How about having something good to say about the town?
Wick has some of the friendliest people you will ever meet,and (at times) has a Community spirit that is second to none, just look at how Wickers came together for the Gala?.
Its not all doom and gloom in Wick, it has its good points but some just "forget" about that!!!:eek:

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 11:31
Say something good about Wick?...ok....eh..eh...eh...Mmmmm..eh..eh...emmmm, can i get back to you on this one? :lol:

Billy Boy
11-Jan-09, 11:33
Say something good about Wick?...The road heading out..[lol]

floyed
11-Jan-09, 11:35
I would say it is a resonable safe place to bring up children. Its got beautiful views, has great places to go walks.

It is'nt to busy like shops and things you can walk down the street without being squashed by hoards of people coming towards you.

People are friendly!:D:D

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 11:36
Say something good about Wick?...ok....eh..eh...eh...Mmmmm..eh..eh...emmmm, can i get back to you on this one? :lol:
C'mon we've got loads of good things in Wick! We have bonny lassies,The General Hospital,2 Indian Takeaways,4 Chinese Takeaways. A Big Tesco (not a little pretend one;))And we dont glow in the dark!!![lol](or at least i havent since I started using the cream on the affected area that the doctor gave me!)

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 11:42
C'mon we've got loads of good things in Wick! We have bonny lassies,The General Hospital,2 Indian Takeaways,4 Chinese Takeaways. A Big Tesco (not a little pretend one;))And we dont glow in the dark!!![lol](or at least i havent since I started using the cream on the affected area that the doctor gave me!)

What exactly have you been doing with the Radioactive Rabbits around Dounreay? :lol:

And yeah you're right, there is a bonnie lassie in Wick.

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 11:42
Better make that 2 then!!!!;)

floyed
11-Jan-09, 11:46

Ahhhhh too kind, too kind lol:lol::lol:

Welcomefamily
11-Jan-09, 11:54
Its 20 miles from Thurso. I suppose a wall would be nice. ;)

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 11:56
Ahhhhh too kind, too kind lol:lol:

Ahhh...i thought you were a boy...Oops...sorreeeeee :lol:, i also thought you were Trix's boyfriend, but i understand now, you're Trix's friend and Floyed as in Pink Floyd...i should have twigged....pair o hippys :lol:

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 12:00
Its 20 miles from Thurso. I suppose a wall would be nice. ;)
Better ask Floyed then, She could put "Another brick in the wall" to stop the Thursa Brigade coming through to Wick and Starin at our lassies!!!![lol]

floyed
11-Jan-09, 12:03
Ahhh...i thought you were a boy...Oops...sorreeeeee :lol:, i also thought you were Trix's boyfriend, but i understand now, you're Trix's friend and Floyed as in Pink Floyd...i should have twigged....pair o hippys :lol:

Thanks am getting all the compliments today lol:lol:

Alice in Blunderland
11-Jan-09, 12:20
The air polution is low.

The congestion is next to nothing unless at five o clock you are all stuck at the roundabout waiting to see whos going to go next :eek:

Crime rate is low. Im talking petty things we have but major crime ..guns, knives, we are much better off than south.

The locals are friendly ..........well most of them. :roll:

We have all amenities to hand and a day trip south for anything else thus giving us a nice day out.

OOOh and we live in an area surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery. :cool:

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 12:25
The air polution is low.

The congestion is next to nothing unless at five o clock you are all stuck at the roundabout waiting to see whos going to go next :eek:

Crime rate is low. Im talking petty things we have but major crime ..guns, knives, we are much better off than south.

The locals are friendly ..........well most of them. :roll:

We have all amenities to hand and a day trip south for anything else thus giving us a nice day out.

OOOh and we live in an area surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery

Yeah, it's so good that you choose just to live a little south of it :lol:

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Jan-09, 12:28
[QUOTE=Alice in Blunderland;481678]The air polution is low.

QUOTE]

They have a roundabout in Wick? Do you mean there's a white blob painted in the middle of the road?

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 12:46
[quote=Alice in Blunderland;481678]The air polution is low.

QUOTE]

They have a roundabout in Wick? Do you mean there's a white blob painted in the middle of the road?
Maybe you've been away so long that you forgot how forward Wick is, thats WICK not HAWICK!!!!!![lol]

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 12:55
[quote=The Pepsi Challenge;481682]
Maybe you've been away so long that you forgot how forward Wick is, thats WICK not HAWICK!!!!!![lol]

Eh..we may have a round-a-bout or two...but no in Wick knows how to use them properly, they blankly stare at the car to their left wondering if they're going to bloody well get a move on :D

Mik.M.
11-Jan-09, 13:10
[quote=hotrod4;481689]

Eh..we may have a round-a-bout or two...but no in Wick knows how to use them properly, they blankly stare at the car to their left wondering if they're going to bloody well get a move on :D
How true you speak! Roundabout at Wick seems to confuse most of the drivers. God help us if they put one in Thurso at the station junction,if the Mart site ever gets developed.:eek:

Happy Rascal
11-Jan-09, 13:20
Wick is a lovely place we have never found anything wrong with it anytime we have been there.
Cheers

Dorrie
11-Jan-09, 13:22
There's nothing like a trip down to Englandshire to make you realised how lucky you are to live up here, any part of up here!

emszxr
11-Jan-09, 13:42
it has a tescos :Razz

Alice in Blunderland
11-Jan-09, 13:59
Yeah, it's so good that you choose just to live a little south of it :lol:

Yip having a big family limited my choice and the kids want to be in the country near thier Granny and papa. :D

Work in the good old town of Wick and OH moved up from Manchester/Liverpool area just to live here with us.

Folk south thought he was mad but he loves it here especially....................wait for it ........................especially ............the Weather he loves it. :eek:

Alice in Blunderland
11-Jan-09, 14:01
[quote=Alice in Blunderland;481678]The air polution is low.

QUOTE]

Yip and ..............Traffic lights..............Street lights and hee hee a traffic warden so we are really catching up with these modern cities.;)

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 14:13
Folk south thought he was mad but he loves it here especially....................wait for it ........................especially ............the Weather he loves it. :eek:

To quote The Duke Of Edinburgh....'Are there any more nutters in your family'? :lol:

Julia
11-Jan-09, 14:32

I know how to use a roundabout!! But yes you are right, you patiently give way to the left and they just sit there waiting for you to move [lol]

it has a tescos :Razz

Aye we kept that one quiet didn't we! LOL

In answer to the original question, we have amazingly fresh air, no rush hour traffic (no rush hour anything) and it's a lot safer than most places for our kids to grow up in.

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 14:42
I know how to use a roundabout!! But yes you are right, you patiently give way to the left and they just sit there waiting for you to move [lol]

Haha..brilliant, so you know how to use a roundabout but you give way to the left?...priceless:lol:

squidge
11-Jan-09, 14:54
I loved living in Wick - the people are friendly and so generous; the air is good; you can walk everywhere within the town; I never felt nervous about coming home late at night; I rarely locked my car; I could look out of my window and see the sea; the weather is magnificent - if you dont like it wait 20 minutes and it will be different; 360 degrees of sky; good butchers; good bakers; good nights out; A slower pace of life; Great small primary schools, freedom for the children to play;

When i visit I still feel like Im going home and when i leave i give a wee sigh .....

The Bruce asked me recently whether I would live in Caithness again... some conversation within his work about doing something up in Caithness... I said yes without hesitation.

rfr10
11-Jan-09, 15:09
Haha..brilliant, so you know how to use a roundabout but you give way to the left?...priceless

Now we know what the problem is :)

When I was driving today, coming towards the roundabout, there was a car to my right sitting waiting for no reason at all because there were no other cars coming from their right so I waited to see if it would move at all but it didn't so I started moving off and low and behold, they started moving off at the same time :confused But who am I to talk, I haven't passed my test yet- what do I know :Razz

Julia
11-Jan-09, 15:13
Haha..brilliant, so you know how to use a roundabout but you give way to the left?...priceless:lol:

I knew that! [lol]

catran
11-Jan-09, 18:54
Wick is a lovely place to bring up children and to retire gracefully. I did notice on one of my rare visits down the street before Christmas I hardly knew a soul, not a lot of locals about, all English accents.

balto
11-Jan-09, 18:57
[lol]something good about wick er em let me think The road out does that count lol[lol]

Aussiewicker
11-Jan-09, 20:44
Like most of the locals who were born & brought up in Wick in the sixties & seventies, I hated it. It was a boring and dull backward place. Most probably the current youngsters still see it the same......

However: after being away for a number of years, and doing the worldly rounds, coming back to Wick is not so bad. It's safe and relatively quiet. There are plenty of place to walk and photograph. Inverness, Aberdeen etc. and their shops are close enough.

There are a lot of worse places to live, as can be seen by the fairly large influx of incomers to the area over the last few years.

If you think it's a bad or poor place, try living south for a while: you'll appreciate it all the more on your return. Promise.

trix
11-Jan-09, 22:13
Thanks am getting all the compliments today lol:lol:

awww...now am feelin all complimented that ye felt complemented that giz thot ye wis ma boyfriend....:lol:

if ye were a guy an ye wis ma boyfriend...id be very lucky ;)

Alice in Blunderland
11-Jan-09, 23:07
To quote The Duke Of Edinburgh....'Are there any more nutters in your family'? :lol:

Errmmm let me think..........yup theres that Weeboyagee hes in the family..........now hes quite nuts ....nuts about the gaelic :lol:

Penelope Pitstop
12-Jan-09, 10:36
Racking my brain but sorry...... can't think of anything ... [lol]

trix
12-Jan-09, 17:34
i wid say 'e people.....

fie 'e nice manie that says 'guid mornin' til me every day on 'e wie til work.......til all ye's weikers on 'e org ;)

aye, i wid definately says its 'e people that make weik such a nice place an what makes me proud til call'ed ma hom' toon ;)

anneoctober
12-Jan-09, 17:41
Peachy's sausage suppers !! Trix........... oh aye and Hotters !!;)[lol]

trix
12-Jan-09, 17:55
Peachy's sausage suppers !! Trix........... oh aye and Hotters !!

cheers october, fair delited! :D

sorry til break it til ye doll...but peachy is deid sweetie...an 'e next owner is eh.....half leigliss all 'e time [lol] (sorry brian - choost a little joke)

anyway sweetie...its now a chinese takeawie - sorry doll :(

what the hell is hotters?

hotrod4
13-Jan-09, 07:01
what the hell is hotters?
I think she means me!!!![lol] Not to blow my own trumpet you undertstand!!!!
But I suppose that is something good about Wick.;)

Wick is still a good place but admiteddly its not as "good" as it once was since the increase in hard drugs has come to the town (and its people).
Its a shame really as it has so much potential but it does have an amazing Community spirit when it want to.

trinkie
13-Jan-09, 09:14
This question comes up from time to time, and you know the answer is inside Yourself ! It's You who makes the place - or life for that matter.
Never expect it to come from another source - it wont, you have to make it for yourself.
Billy Boy I think you have said before, that the best place is the road out - then take it ! I mean that kindly, you are obviously in need of a change, and you imagine you will find a better life elsewhere. Then you must try - I did ! But it's up to you to make that step, it wont be easy for nothing worthwhile is every easy.

But first you will have to define 'good' and 'bad'

I think you will discover that life in Wick is a bit of both and you have to work on both sides. Also think what you are doing to make it better for others? and I mean all ages!
Dont expect it to come to you but give out to others and see the result.

It's up to you.
Trinkie

poppett
13-Jan-09, 09:58
Peachy`s sausage suppers smuggled into the dance at the Rosebank to go with some lager and lime.......... pure magic. Used to travel from Inverness on a Wednesday night in the summer time to the summer cabaret night and the aforementioned treat in the mid 1970`s..... then back to Inverness in the early hours in time for a 6am start at work.

Every place has good and bad. I was brought up in Thurso but spent a lot of time in Wick as I liked the folkies there.

A9RUNNER
13-Jan-09, 11:30
The best thing about wick is probably the people who live there. I am not from wick but have spent a lot of time in wick over the years and have made plenty friends. I find the people to be open and friendly and if by chance someone takes a dislike to you they will tell you to your face. Unlike a lot of 2 faced stab you in the back folk that live in Thurso.