PDA

View Full Version : Prince Harry

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Jan-09, 03:36
As someone on this very board said about me the other day, what a "ginger tosser."

Anne x
11-Jan-09, 03:59
Blown out of all Porportion as per normal He was talking about a pal just like me a Cattach saying hi Gollach the examples are endless

JAWS
11-Jan-09, 05:45
It really is cutting edge news. It is so important it has taken the press three whole years to "discover" it and make a fuss.
If that is the best they can come up with it's time they looked for another line of employment. Still, it gave the usual suspects something to twitter about to bang their own particular drums for their own benefit.

Metalattakk
11-Jan-09, 05:53
Still, it gave the usual suspects something to twitter about to bang their own particular drums for their own benefit.

How true, as is shown by this particular OP.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Jan-09, 06:22
Whether people think it's a non-story or not, it makes you question his potential as a future head of state. And if people want to be an apologist for racial attitudes, too, then that's up to them. It doesn't matter whether he was in the presence of one person or a thousand: such a remark, and such an opinion, is unacceptable. And it's not the first time a Royal has shown themselves up as a racist, either.

Metalattakk
11-Jan-09, 06:25
All I hear is the banging of a drum...

As a fellow 'pretend' musician, I say bang on squire. Bang on to your heart's content. Just do it somewhere else, eh?

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Jan-09, 06:34
No, it's definitely a messageboard discussion forum.

If you're looking for the non-discussion, urinating-on-someone-else's-thread forum, it's down the hall, second on your left. You can't miss it; it's right next to the balding, 80s metal freaks' room.

Metalattakk
11-Jan-09, 06:39
Ah, you just keep feeling persecuted old chap. It's the only way you're happy. ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Jan-09, 07:27
Stalking more like. Every time I post something you're usually never far behind giving it your Johnny-knows-better routine. You're creepy.

golach
11-Jan-09, 09:03
As someone on this very board said about me the other day, what a "ginger tosser."
More gutter press page filling nonsense, journalists, can sink to some very low levels.

brokencross
11-Jan-09, 09:27
And if people want to be an apologist for racial attitudes, too, then that's up to them. It doesn't matter whether he was in the presence of one person or a thousand: such a remark, and such an opinion, is unacceptable.

I had better be an out and out apologist for myself now then.

Near where we live we have a corner shop run by an Asian shopkeeper and his family. In the privacy of my own home, I can be heard saying to my wife "I am off to the Pakis to put on the lottery". I would never dream of using such language in the wide world, (except on the Org to make a point). I recognise how sensitive the PC brigade are with semantics. My use of the word is an abbreviation of the word Pakistani, one who hails from Pakistan.

I have a laugh and a joke with the shopkeeper all the time. Maybe my apology should not be for using the "P" word at home, but be for not finding out more about him, for example if he even comes from Pakistan or was he just born here in Middlesbrough.

So for the sake of equality, I am glad I will no longer be called a Scot and given my full title of Scottish. People from Poland will be pleased that they will not be called Poles and the folks from Holland will no longer be called Holes..........Sticks and stones???

p.s. I do not judge anyone by their race or creed.

Let the flak rise!!

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 10:30
Blown out of all Porportion as per normal He was talking about a pal just like me a Cattach saying hi Gollach the examples are endless

Exactly, would it have made the news if he'd said "Ah, our little Jock friend...Angus." "Ah, our little Paddy friend...Shemus." or "Ah, our little Taffy friend...Dafydd."?....no it bloody well wouldn't have.

I should also add that every single member of the armed forces that i know or have met uses the term Raghead to describe Iraqi/Afghan insurgents.

gleeber
11-Jan-09, 10:53
Many of us have to spend our working lives in an environment tarnished by the ignorance of people like Harry Balmoral. That stuff is rife in everyday life and brokencross points out how easy we can slip into it.
On the surface and considering the state of the world it would seem that reporting this issue is nonsense but on the other hand if it brings a little bit of awareness to a numpty nation and it's unconscious processes then bring it on.

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 10:59
Harry;s alright. He's just the same as anyone else his age except he fills column inches wheras "Billy from Wick"isnt newsworthy.We all make mistakes the difference is our mistakes are private his is Public.
Prefer his brother though, cant wait till he's king!;)

EDDIE
11-Jan-09, 11:28
Harry should be punished for what he said he is in the public eye and has a high rank in the army and should be setting an example.
But like everything else because he is a member of the royal family he will get away with it
I think there should be a debate on whether we need a royal family.?

Welcomefamily
11-Jan-09, 11:34
Sky News making a drama out of any crisis, he came from Pakistan so what he was called was just a shortening of his name, no different than Brit for British. It does not appear to have been done to cause offense otherwise he would have been the first to complain.

As for Raghead, I heard some one on Sky News saying its wrong to call the taliban that, I total agree. It is diffinately wrong to call them that.

If we could shot a lot more of them, they we will not need to call the ........ anything.

Its a shame that minority groups in our society want to try to make huge amounts of policitical gain out of the story.

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 11:39
How about this:
‘WE WOULD RATHER DO BUSINESS WITH
1000 AL-QAEDA TERRORISTS
THAN WITH ONE SINGLE BRITISH SOLDIER!'

This sign was prominently displayed in the window of a business in Campbeltown Scotland
and you are probably outraged at the thought of such an inflammatory statement.

However, we are a society which holds Freedom of Speech as perhaps our greatest liberty.
And after all, it is only a sign.

You may ask,

'What kind of business would dare post such a sign?'

Answer:

A Funeral Home

Thats class that is. (Thanks to johno for that one!);)

Welcomefamily
11-Jan-09, 11:44
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Metalattakk
11-Jan-09, 14:11
Stalking more like. Every time I post something you're usually never far behind giving it your Johnny-knows-better routine. You're creepy.
I suggest you refer this thread to your psychiatrist while discussing your persecution complex.

sam
11-Jan-09, 14:40
[quote=Welcomefamily;481645]Sky News making a drama out of any crisis, he came from Pakistan so what he was called was just a shortening of his name, no different than Brit for British. It does not appear to have been done to cause offense otherwise he would have been the first to complain.

I Totally agree, There are always those who shout about it being wrong, so maybe one of those who think it is wrong could explain to me why it is ok to call someone from Poland a Pole, There shouldnt be one rule for some and another rule for others.[disgust]

weeboyagee
11-Jan-09, 17:19
What a load of blown-out-of-proportion sensationalism! A young friend of mine in the army in England has a great craic with his mates - I have been down to meet them - nice lot - who call him the "only Jock in the barracks"! I am waiting for the Press to get a hold of that but two things don't lend themselves there - he is young and with friends who he gives and takes with (and therefore between them and no-one elses business) and he isnt Royal.

Harry is in the public eye but not until he is older (and wiser) should we be expecting to see the due care and attention to the words coming out of his mouth!

Am I bovvered? Nah, I don't think so. If a polite, private, social reference can be made without a stink in the army to friends called "Jocks" then why not "Pakis"? I'd like to have known what his friend in the army had to say about it - he probably thinks it is a storm in a tea-cup and had his own private reference for Harry - I wonder what that might have been - some social reference that probably relates to his many characters as detailed in the front page of the very newspaper that got it's story from this one.

Nonsense - reading that gutter-trash - we should know better. Sensationalism - all for the sake of selling papers.

WBG :cool:

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 17:30
Well said. When I was in the Army I was the only "jock" out of 650. Didnt bother me that they used to call me "Jock" and wondered why i wasnt Small and Ginger like the rest of the Scottish Race!!![lol]
It never bothered me in the same way a guy from Wales was "Taffy",its accepted as a term of endearment without any Malice. As WBg says I bet the guy who was the "Paki" wasnt bothered the slightest in what Harry had to say. It was MEANT to be private between some mates but NOTW has to sensationalise it![evil]

binbob
11-Jan-09, 18:25
What a load of blown-out-of-proportion sensationalism! A young friend of mine in the army in England has a great craic with his mates - I have been down to meet them - nice lot - who call him the "only Jock in the barracks"! I am waiting for the Press to get a hold of that but two things don't lend themselves there - he is young and with friends who he gives and takes with (and therefore between them and no-one elses business) and he isnt Royal.

Harry is in the public eye but not until he is older (and wiser) should we be expecting to see the due care and attention to the words coming out of his mouth!

Am I bovvered? Nah, I don't think so. If a polite, private, social reference can be made without a stink in the army to friends called "Jocks" then why not "Pakis"? I'd like to have known what his friend in the army had to say about it - he probably thinks it is a storm in a tea-cup and had his own private reference for Harry - I wonder what that might have been - some social reference that probably relates to his many characters as detailed in the front page of the very newspaper that got it's story from this one.

Nonsense - reading that gutter-trash - we should know better. Sensationalism - all for the sake of selling papers.

very well said..could not agree more.:Razz

percy toboggan
11-Jan-09, 21:13
it's not the first time a Royal has shown themselves up as a racist, either.

No, they're just like mos tof us, mere mortals for the majority are racist to a greater or lesser degree.

He has tripped himself up gaain but when I was tenty years younger comments like his were the norm. Times have changed and now we have to watch us p' s and q' s . I'm always baffled by the 'P' words ability to offend but maybe that's my fault.

I've just emerged from a cinematic experience which depicted the squalour of India - within minutes my wife whispered in my ear somewhat light-heartedly "no wonder they all want to come 'ere"
was this racist too? Should she be censured?

Too many are becoming too precious around this subject....racism is rife within every race of the world...part of the human condition. To deny this is to elude reality. I'm not saying it's right...I'm just saying it's here...and it's not shifting for any man...black, white,brown or yellow.

gleeber
11-Jan-09, 21:21
No, they're just like mos tof us, mere mortals for the majority are racist to a greater or lesser degree.
Your right Percy but I think people would like to change it. It's easier.:)
I can understand the sensationalist claims but sometimes things are so obvious we canna see them. Ive worked with people who regularly used the word Paki as a part of their vocabulary when talking about the problems with the world. It was nver used in a flattering form. Always derogatory. I understand the offence people could take against it. Its definately a whiteman thing but its spread now. I dont think its necessarily a human nature thing.

percy toboggan
11-Jan-09, 21:27
Your right Percy but I think people would like to change it. It's easier.:)
I can understand the sensationalist claims but sometimes things are so obvious we canna see them. Ive worked with people who regularly used the word Paki as a part of their vocabulary when talking about the problems with the world. It was nver used in a flattering form. Always derogatory. I understand the offence people could take against it. Its definately a whiteman thing but its spread now. I dont think its necessarily a human nature thing.

Your opening point is a good one Gleeber.
It will change given six or seven centuries of ever increasing mingling.
Before then? In our lifetimes? Not a chance. We should stop worrying about it and get on with things irrespective of name calling. Sticks and stones etc....add Missiles / Shoe Bombs etc.

gleeber
11-Jan-09, 21:38
Before then? In our lifetimes? Not a chance. We should stop worrying about it and get on with things irrespective of name calling. Sticks and stones etc....add Missiles / Shoe Bombs etc.
:lol:
In the old days people like you would have been generals in the cavaly. Percys last stand. I can see it now. You standing on a hill with 5000 Red Indianslying dead at your feet lol.

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 21:49
I agree. Theres too much emphasis in "not trying to make the natives restless" that you cant say anything nowadays without someone taking offence.About 90% of My Mypsace page is made up of African/American rappers.They constantly call each other the "N" word (see I dare not say it on here!![lol]),To them its a greeting nothing else, maybe they have turned it around agaianst the "white man" and made the word their own.That is the type of attitude that is required move on, people will only get bored if they dont get a reaction.
I am a "sweaty sock" and proud of it!!!!:lol:

Tristan
11-Jan-09, 22:39
Is the reference to his friend inapropriate? Probably if taken outside oustide of their friendship but in reality no.
Is his reference to Muslims as ragheads racist? yes it is now as it was before when used on this forum over a year ago. However, is it ok for us to say kill people in certain countries but just don't call them names?...no! You can't expect to send soldiers into battle and tell them to kill, but don't treat the enemies as less than human. It is the nature of the beast to treat your enemies in the basest way possible.

JAWS
12-Jan-09, 02:00
There is a widespread belief amongst some that racism is all one sided.

hotrod4
12-Jan-09, 05:49
There is a widespread belief amongst some that racism is all one sided.
It is one sided. I constantly get harassed walking down the street because I am White and British.Those darn <insert your own least favourite people> are always picking on me and calling me names. They are always telling me to go home(No Wait thats the fuzz when I'm blootered!;)).
Racism is a double sided coin to be honest it just depends which side it lands on and whos company your in.
For example Jaws you sharks get some bad press,is it all justified? Would it be racist to say that I prefer Haddock to sharks?[lol]

brokencross
12-Jan-09, 07:43
Would it be racist to say that I prefer Haddock to sharks?[lol]
You have already discriminated against the shark because you capitalised Haddock[lol]

hotrod4
12-Jan-09, 08:07
You have already discriminated against the shark because you capitalised Haddock[lol]
But a haddock is a little harmless fishie wheras the Shark is the Suicide bomber of the sea!!!!:lol:

brokencross
12-Jan-09, 08:19
But a haddock is a little harmless fishie wheras the Shark is the Suicide bomber of the sea!!!!:lol:
Now you are generalising, not all sharks are BAD, the whale shark is as nice and cuddly as any haddie[lol]

Kevin Milkins
12-Jan-09, 09:22
Well said. When I was in the Army I was the only "jock" out of 650. Didnt bother me that they used to call me "Jock" and wondered why i wasnt Small and Ginger like the rest of the Scottish Race!!![lol]
It never bothered me in the same way a guy from Wales was "Taffy",its accepted as a term of endearment without any Malice. As WBg says I bet the guy who was the "Paki" wasnt bothered the slightest in what Harry had to say. It was MEANT to be private between some mates but NOTW has to sensationalise it![evil]

Oye boyo,
You can leave the Welsh out of this, we are having enough trouble with that bloudy Anne Robinson. ;)

percy toboggan
12-Jan-09, 10:44
In the old days people like you would have been generals in the cavaly. Percys last stand. I can see it now. You standing on a hill with 5000 Red Indianslying dead at your feet lol.

Native Americans please Gleeber.;)
Thanks for the image though for it is I shall conjure up within the hour as I sit in the Dentists chair for two extractions - I'm somewhat apprehensive!:(.

............A little while later - back home and bleeding. No 'cowardy custer' though and my Polish Dentist was very good - even though one tooth broke below the bone and I have to go to 'ozzy sometime soon.

honey
12-Jan-09, 11:19
[quote=Welcomefamily;481645]Sky News making a drama out of any crisis, he came from Pakistan so what he was called was just a shortening of his name, no different than Brit for British. It does not appear to have been done to cause offense otherwise he would have been the first to complain.

I Totally agree, There are always those who shout about it being wrong, so maybe one of those who think it is wrong could explain to me why it is ok to call someone from Poland a Pole, There shouldnt be one rule for some and another rule for others.[disgust]

exactly.. the word itself is not racist, but it can certainly be used in a racist context!

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Jan-09, 11:21

And all the more reason casual racism shouldn't be tolerated.

brokencross
12-Jan-09, 13:05
And all the more reason casual racism shouldn't be tolerated.
Casual racism, now that is a new one on me.

From dictionary...
Casual:- without definite or serious intention; careless or offhand; passing
Racism:- hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Surely intention to hurt physically or emotionally because of their race is racism. Can't really see that you casually hate someone.

I for one would find it hard to exist in your world where the use of every single word or phrase has to be scrutinised in depth and be passed by the PC brigade before being uttered.

If using the name Paki was accompanied by punches, kicks and violence or the person was called a Paki and denied a job or access to a building that would be out and out racism and should be condemned outright.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Jan-09, 13:31
Casual racism, now that is a new one on me.

From dictionary...
Casual:- without definite or serious intention; careless or offhand; passing
Racism:- hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Surely intention to hurt physically or emotionally because of their race is racism. Can't really see that you casually hate someone.

I for one would find it hard to exist in your world where the use of every single word or phrase has to be scrutinised in depth and be passed by the PC brigade before being uttered.

If using the name Paki was accompanied by punches, kicks and violence or the person was called a Paki and denied a job or access to a building that would be out and out racism and should be condemned outright.

Casual racism: Google it, you'll find plenty of info on it there. Or ask hotrod.

(I mean, what a sad day it is, eh, when you can no longer call Them micks and nig-nogs no more. We didn't fight in three world wars so some commie spic could tell me I can't call one of our colonial cousins, sambo. Start a petition. Write to the Daily Mail.)

gleeber
12-Jan-09, 13:43
Perhaps if pepsi had said institutionalised racism it would have been more appropriate. I wont even bother looking in the dictionary because I will tell you what my definition is. Its an established form of racism, particulary inherant in the whites amongst us and never recognised as their problem but a problem of those who claim to be offended.
To get a better picture, cruise this thread and spot them. There's quite a lot of them. Non of them racist of course. It's quite interesting and also a sad indictment on the Great White Man.

loobyloo
12-Jan-09, 13:53
Harry is an over-privileged, chinless wonder, who should know better. Living in the lap of luxury, whist having the audacity to frequently look down at those who are funding his lavish lifestyle (eg me).
He cannot be compared to 'normal' young people because he isn't (thank God). His Nazi-wearing uniform antics and general demeanour show him to be an ignorant, arrogant, bolshie, ya and I couldn't give a rat's ass what he thinks about anything, or anyone. He's a disgrace. If he wants that place in society, he should look to his granny for advice on how to behave. A**hole. Now he's bleating on about wanting to go to Afghanistan and 'play soldiers' again, so he can endanger every other proper soldier that comes in contact with him. Give me strength. Get back to one of your palaces, stop getting drunk and making a fool of yourself and keep your mouth shut. Let him go and open some village fetes, or something. Or sit on a horse and kill things, oh no, can't do that anymore. Get a gun and walk about killing things. That should keep him amused for a while and out of the papers.

Penelope Pitstop
12-Jan-09, 14:01
I think this too has been blown out of all proportion. For gods sake it was 3 years ago and it's only now that it is making the top news story - is there nothing else more important happening in the world at the moment..:confused I would have thought there was!

(Mind you we are just as bad for even rising to the taunt of the press.)

Anyway I've risen to it so I'll just get on.....

Is it also racism to call someone:

Jock - Scottish
Paddy - Irish
Taffy - Welsh
Jimmy - Glaswegian
Froggie - French
Swede - Turnip!!!! (whoops..Swedish)

If not then what is the difference??
Is it to do with the colour of your skin - if your skin is white can they call you what they darn well like??

Thai - Thailand......Paki - Pakistan....Pole - Polish....Aussi - Australian....Jap - Japan ....anyone noticing a sequence there?

Bazeye
12-Jan-09, 14:19
I agree.

Britain Brits
Poland Poles
Sweden Swedes
Afghanistan Afghans
Pakistan Pakis.

Any of the other nationalities mentioned above take offence? It appears to me that certain people are a lot easier to "offend" than others. When it suits them.

Gizmo
12-Jan-09, 14:26
I think this too has been blown out of all proportion. For gods sake it was 3 years ago and it's only now that it is making the top news story - is there nothing else more important happening in the world at the moment..:confused I would have thought there was!

(Mind you we are just as bad for even rising to the taunt of the press.)

Anyway I've risen to it so I'll just get on.....

Is it also racism to call someone:

Jock - Scottish
Paddy - Irish
Taffy - Welsh
Jimmy - Glaswegian
Froggie - French
Swede - Turnip!!!! (whoops..Swedish)

If not then what is the difference??
Is it to do with the colour of your skin - if your skin is white can they call you what they darn well like??

Thai - Thailand......Paki - Pakistan....Pole - Polish....Aussi - Australian....Jap - Japan ....anyone noticing a sequence there?

The problem is, and has always been, that the term Paki was normally used in a derogatory way and usually followed up with 'Child Born Out Of Wedlock' or preceeded by 'Go Home You' Paki 'Child Born Out Of Wedlock', it's been hijacked by the media, politicians and the pc brigade and turned into something as unacceptable to use as calling a coloured person a Darkie, the other problem with it is the ignorance in it's use, it was generally used to describe anyone from that area of the world or someone who looked like they were from that area of the world, regrardless if they were from Pakistan, India, Afghanistan or the United Kingdom.

The father of the soldier that the term was directed at has said he is 'hurt' by the 'hate word' that Prince Harry used, i don't think anyone has actually bothered to ask the soldier if it offended him yet

weeboyagee
12-Jan-09, 14:44
Lunchtime and I sit and listen to the BBC - saying that Harry is going to get his knuckles well and truly rapped, the PM telling everyone the apology was sincere and that Britain (where the heck is that again?) will forgive him??

C'mon loobyloo - methinks that you have a certain dislike of the guy anyway. The guy is in a man's world but not quite the man. It's not a jolly in the army from what I am led to believe. Sure they talk themselves up to be bigger whilst in it using the odd reference as Harry did - and how many on here are "holyer that thou" when it comes to their condemnation - I heard all of that listening to them when I met with a whole load of 18/19 year olds who had just passed out at their parade in the south of England. They use terms about each other that were perfectly accepted between each other within the context they were said but you could easily see how out of context would offend - but it didn't!

The offended father - now, he lives in Pakistan, he doesn't live here, he is hurt about his boy and the offence that he (the father) has taken from this. Mind if I say something here? Of course it his boy and he can quite rightly be hurt to hear this of his boy but pardon me, he's not in this country, not in the British Army and nowhere near the coal-face to understand anything like the context it was said in - or taken by the young Captain whom this was levelled at.

It's all a storm blown-up out of all proportion and quite frankly if we all admit it, the flickin country is sick to it's back teeth of how the media can to it's own end, generate the very social system that we are engineered to engage in - by the poison sensationalistic typings of those who believe that catch-all phrase of justification is "It's in the public interest"!

Trash - and more fool the folk that swallow it.

brokencross
12-Jan-09, 15:13
people will only get bored if they dont get a reaction.

Sums it up I think. Ignore it and it will go away. Respond/react and it will just fuel the fire.

The Pepsi Challenge
12-Jan-09, 15:16
Sums it up I think. Ignore it and it will go away. Respond/react and it will just fuel the fire.

Ignorance is bliss, eh?

golach
12-Jan-09, 15:22
We didn't fight in three world wars so some commie spic could tell me I can't call one of our colonial cousins, sambo. Start a petition. Write to the Daily Mail.)

Wow have I become Rip Van Winkle or what? I must have slept right through one of them, Many thanks Pepsi, for keeping me up to date with the world news [lol]

brokencross
12-Jan-09, 15:30
Ignorance is bliss, eh?
Should I ignore this, just as I said to do about the name calling........................................... .................................................. ......Yep! Best idea

Kodiak
12-Jan-09, 16:05
Since the so called name calling was three years ago it should be long forgotten and be part of history.

balto
12-Jan-09, 16:12
totally agree with you here, once again the medi blow it into somthing it isnt, he hardly said it in a nasty way, god knows how folk would cope if somthing really important happened.

loobyloo
12-Jan-09, 16:55
Lunchtime and I sit and listen to the BBC - saying that Harry is going to get his knuckles well and truly rapped, the PM telling everyone the apology was sincere and that Britain (where the heck is that again?) will forgive him??

C'mon loobyloo - methinks that you have a certain dislike of the guy anyway.

Oops, you've seen right though me! Can't stand any of them.
Agree with everyone else who said it's a load of old nonsense compared to what's going on in the real world. I'll shut up now.

rich
12-Jan-09, 17:28
I see nobody is championing that jolly nickname :NIGGER
Neither is anyone sticking up for KIKE
These are BAD names.
I mention them only because there is a sort of other-worldly dopiness about this thread.
To be sure some names - such as Jock, Taffy etc are widespread and offend nobody.
But the point about the Harry caper is that it sits on the edge of a knife blade.
For example you go into the corner store and say to the guy who serves you "GOOD MORNING, MY PAKI FRIEND" and he might simply groan or attempt a smile.
Now what if you went in and said "GOOD MORNING MY TOWEL-HEADED ,CHUM? I suppose he could reply: "HA! HA! HA! ONLY MAD DOGS AND ENGLISHMEN GO OUT IN THE EVENING SUN!!!" To which our jolly English lad might reply: "WHY DONT YOU GO AND BLOW YOURSELF UP AND MAKE MANY HAPPY VIRGINS!!!"
At this stage we are headed for Monty Python land.
There is a solution by the way - it is called politeness.
Be polite my fellow Orgers. Do not refer to anybody's ethnic profile. That way lies sanity.
Might I also add that threads like this one are painfully boring....

honey
12-Jan-09, 18:04

NOT a word i would personally use.. but if a black person uses this word, its not deemed to be racist, (listen to Chris Rock re this subject!) or, in some instances, if a white person uses it to describe a black friend, IN SOME INSTANCES, its seen as ok..

a bit like this situation with Harry by the look of it.

rich
12-Jan-09, 18:10
I think the use of the word NIGGER by black people is meant to be ironic.

Gizmo
12-Jan-09, 19:26

Strange then how you never hear a Pakistani saying to another..'Wazzup ma Paki':confused

JimH
12-Jan-09, 19:51
Harry is an over-privileged, chinless wonder, who should know better. Living in the lap of luxury, whist having the audacity to frequently look down at those who are funding his lavish lifestyle (eg me).
He cannot be compared to 'normal' young people because he isn't (thank God). His Nazi-wearing uniform antics and general demeanour show him to be an ignorant, arrogant, bolshie, ya and I couldn't give a rat's ass what he thinks about anything, or anyone. He's a disgrace. If he wants that place in society, he should look to his granny for advice on how to behave. A**hole. Now he's bleating on about wanting to go to Afghanistan and 'play soldiers' again, so he can endanger every other proper soldier that comes in contact with him. Give me strength. Get back to one of your palaces, stop getting drunk and making a fool of yourself and keep your mouth shut. Let him go and open some village fetes, or something. Or sit on a horse and kill things, oh no, can't do that anymore. Get a gun and walk about killing things. That should keep him amused for a while and out of the papers.
Do I detect a note of prejudice?

percy toboggan
12-Jan-09, 20:39

They 'do' irony then?

I don't know why you'd wish to compound the problem illustrated here by using the word 'nigger' anyway.

If you think the thread 'boring' why bother contributing unless perhaps you're attempting to spark it into your version of life by injecting more contentious words.

The word Paki IS contemptible when it's used to physically bully or intimidate. Those who use it in this way are as loathsome as the jerks who allowed unfettered immigration to transform our cities.

Other use it as shorthand - akin to 'Brit' depsite negative connotations until there is a more acceptable term I don't think it's going away.

rich
12-Jan-09, 23:02
"Doing" irony is a common usage on this side of the pond.

squidge
13-Jan-09, 00:52
You know what's interesting? How many of us who have posted on this thread are of pakistani or asian origin and therefore qualified to say whether its an insult or not? Here is an interesting Article http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article5496878.ece

I dont think it has ever lost its connection to white racist thugs and that's why its not appropriate to use it as a friendly descriptive word. I guess you would have no doubt of its ability to convey hatred and aggression if you had seen something slightly stronger than "Go Home Paki" painted in 3 foot high letters over the front of someone's house. I remember seeing that as a child in rochdale and being utterly shocked at the viciousness of it. I have never felt comfortable using that word and always discouraged the children from using it. Not from some goody goody sense of political correctness but because it never felt like a good word after that. The fact that Prince Harry used it and allowed himself to be videoed confirms my suspicions that he is a complete dope. The only thing i hope is that int he last three years he has seen and learned enough not to make such a stupid uneccessary idiot out of himself but i'm not holding my breath:roll:

Alice in Blunderland
13-Jan-09, 01:03
The word Paki to a Pakistani person is definately seen as an insult with or without the usual foreword or any descriptive names after it. :)

As Gizmo correctly stated it was not always this way, it has evolved through time into being seen as an insult to them because of the words normally hurled with the word Paki. :(

hotrod4
13-Jan-09, 06:55
Neither is anyone sticking up for KIKE
These are BAD names.
I mention them only because there is a sort of other-worldly dopiness about this thread.
To be sure some names - such as Jock, Taffy etc are widespread and offend nobody.
But the point about the Harry caper is that it sits on the edge of a knife blade.
For example you go into the corner store and say to the guy who serves you "GOOD MORNING, MY PAKI FRIEND" and he might simply groan or attempt a smile.
Now what if you went in and said "GOOD MORNING MY TOWEL-HEADED ,CHUM? I suppose he could reply: "HA! HA! HA! ONLY MAD DOGS AND ENGLISHMEN GO OUT IN THE EVENING SUN!!!" To which our jolly English lad might reply: "WHY DONT YOU GO AND BLOW YOURSELF UP AND MAKE MANY HAPPY VIRGINS!!!"
At this stage we are headed for Monty Python land.
There is a solution by the way - it is called politeness.
Be polite my fellow Orgers. Do not refer to anybody's ethnic profile. That way lies sanity.
Might I also add that threads like this one are painfully boring....

Maybe the reason that nobody is mentioning the "N" word is because the thread is meant to be about what PRINCE HARRY said and not about what words we can all come up with!
Cant see why the thread is "painfully boring", its a discussion that is getting points from all sides and directions, surely that is the point of a forum?.

Yes he was a bit stupid to do it (at the time) but i dont think he meant it as a derogatory remark,it was young lads having a laugh with each other.

I used to get called "sweaty sock" and jock all the time when i was in the Army, sometimes it was because someone was annoyed becuase i told them not to take too much food etc from my hotplate, but I didnt take offence at it.if for example it was someone from Newcastle for example i would tell them to "Go away";) You geordie 4 letter word and that would be it, problem and situation over.It wasnt a vile insult to me it was just the first thing that would come into their head. Didnt make them racist it just made them human.(i.e slip of the tongue with no malice intended)

A9RUNNER
13-Jan-09, 11:23
Cant see what all the fuss is about Did the person Harry was referring too complain? If not then nobody else should pay any heed to it. What a waste of newspaper space! And forum space too. DAMM it all I added to the waste of space.......

Saveman
13-Jan-09, 14:00
What a funny, fickle race we are!

Some are offended, some are not. Some say its ok to label.....some say no.

When are we going to realise that we're all homo sapiens whether we like it or not?

Black, white, yellow....green, pink.....we're all the same family.

Supposing or suggesting other humans to be inferior, even in jest, is a shallow and all to common ego-trap that leads nowhere good.

macattack5243
13-Jan-09, 17:41
I would like to start by stating that I am a serving soldier in Her Majesty's Armed Forces. I have been in the British Army for nine years now. I am from Castletown, Caithness. I am currently on my 3rd operational tour of duty in Iraq.

I have had the privilage (and it is a privilage) of meeting both HRH Prince William and HRH Prince Harry. Both of whom as you well know are serving members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces.

The Army as many people will say institutionalises its members, which i totally agree with. It actually does. What some people do not understand is the bond between each soldier. This bond is planted inside each of us during basic training. It quicky grows inside each of us until it is so strong that you would be willing to die for everyman in your platoon without hesitation!.This is not the type of bond between friends at school. This is a bond that i cannot explain very well to people who are not in the forces.

This brings me onto HRH Prince Harry. The bond between him and the fellow members of his platoon is one that cannot be understood by civillians. The way in which we speak to each other in the Army, ie, nicknames is accepted no matter what it ends up becoming. As someone put earlier - being the only Scottish person in his regiment - Jock.

If you look closely at the footage you will see that the said individual does not say anything. Its not because he is being spoken to by a prince because in the army he is not a prince. The individual is the same rank as HRH Prince Harry and therefore could of objected to the remark!

It does not matter what colour your skin is or where you are from. What matters (and every soldier knows this) is that no matter what you are called, you will always be there for each other no matter what.

As the video projects- Harry said this without malice and it was taken with no offense!
I stand behind the officer in question and those who continue to make something out of nothing should find something better to with their time instead of criticising a British Army officer who is doing a sterling job!

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jan-09, 17:58
I would like to start by stating that I am a serving soldier in Her Majesty's Armed Forces. I have been in the British Army for nine years now. I am from Castletown, Caithness. I am currently on my 3rd operational tour of duty in Iraq.

I have had the privilage (and it is a privilage) of meeting both HRH Prince William and HRH Prince Harry. Both of whom as you well know are serving members of Her Majesty's Armed Forces.

The Army as many people will say institutionalises its members, which i totally agree with. It actually does. What some people do not understand is the bond between each soldier. This bond is planted inside each of us during basic training. It quicky grows inside each of us until it is so strong that you would be willing to die for everyman in your platoon without hesitation!.This is not the type of bond between friends at school. This is a bond that i cannot explain very well to people who are not in the forces.

This brings me onto HRH Prince Harry. The bond between him and the fellow members of his platoon is one that cannot be understood by civillians. The way in which we speak to each other in the Army, ie, nicknames is accepted no matter what it ends up becoming. As someone put earlier - being the only Scottish person in his regiment - Jock.

If you look closely at the footage you will see that the said individual does not say anything. Its not because he is being spoken to by a prince because in the army he is not a prince. The individual is the same rank as HRH Prince Harry and therefore could of objected to the remark!

It does not matter what colour your skin is or where you are from. What matters (and every soldier knows this) is that no matter what you are called, you will always be there for each other no matter what.

As the video projects- Harry said this without malice and it was taken with no offense!
I stand behind the officer in question and those who continue to make something out of nothing should find something better to with their time instead of criticising a British Army officer who is doing a sterling job!

Try telling that to Amrik Hayer and his family.

percy toboggan
13-Jan-09, 18:08
;)
"Go Home Paki" painted in 3 foot high letters over the front of someone's house. I remember seeing that as a child in rochdale and being utterly shocked at the viciousness of it.

If only they'd added 'please' eh?

No doubt they didn't and the object of their hostility didn't take any notice anyway did they?....
...the town is now about half and half in some areas and exclusively brown or white in others.....smashing.
We need more towns like Richdale...especially in the far north.
Let's offer grants for offended Pakistani's...sick of the few remaining dark satanic mills down the 'dale to set up sweat shops in Thurso - three quid an hour and all the curry you can manage at dinnertime.

Cyril Smith has vacated the scene and left a very big 'ole....what can we fill it with...maybe another Liberal Democrat....l

Good 'ole boy rich says 'doing irony is commonplace on the other side of the pond'

I've no idea but for me 'doing the ironing this side ' of the pond is unheard of !! .... two people seperated by a damn sight more than a common language - or a pond.
Speaking of ponds...it's life Jim but not as I know it !

(it's the Brandy talking - I found some in a cupboard ) - just hope I got the spelling and punctuation reet ;)

macattack5243
13-Jan-09, 18:52
Try telling that to Amrik Hayer and his family.

This has nothing do with his family. This is between him and Harry. The only reason his family is interseted is because Harry is a Royal and there may be a sniff of money for the story in the papers. You obviously know this? So why dont you come down from your moral high ground and stop playing devils advocate as you keep doing throughout this thread.

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Jan-09, 19:15
The bottom line is this: casual racism should not be tolerated. At all. It's a nasty habit. And as I said, if you don't think it's a problem just take a look at the Hayer situation.

hotrod4
13-Jan-09, 19:24
This has nothing do with his family. This is between him and Harry. The only reason his family is interseted is because Harry is a Royal and there may be a sniff of money for the story in the papers. You obviously know this? So why dont you come down from your moral high ground and stop playing devils advocate as you keep doing throughout this thread.
Think you hit the nail on the head there. the guy who SHOULD have a so called problem doesnt seem bothered about it. It just seems to be his dad(who probably doesnt understand the camaradrie between them) and the gutter press who will be willing to hand over mullah to the family if they tell the story of "how they have suffered". Within the week we will see the full story with a picture of his dad with "doe eyes" and telling of years of persecution.To me selling your soul for a few quid would be alot worse than what Harry is being accused of doing with "malice".

Alice in Blunderland
13-Jan-09, 19:49
;)

If only they'd added 'please' eh?

No doubt they didn't and the object of their hostility didn't take any notice anyway did they?....
...the town is now about half and half in some areas and exclusively brown or white in others.....smashing.
We need more towns like Richdale...especially in the far north.
Let's offer grants for offended Pakistani's...sick of the few remaining dark satanic mills down the 'dale to set up sweat shops in Thurso - three quid an hour and all the curry you can manage at dinnertime.

Cyril Smith has vacated the scene and left a very big 'ole....what can we fill it with...maybe another Liberal Democrat....l

Good 'ole boy rich says 'doing irony is commonplace on the other side of the pond'

I've no idea but for me 'doing the ironing this side ' of the pond is unheard of !! .... two people seperated by a damn sight more than a common language - or a pond.
Speaking of ponds...it's life Jim but not as I know it !

(it's the Brandy talking - I found some in a cupboard ) - just hope I got the spelling and punctuation reet ;)

Sorry Percy.............I havent been at the Brandy but cant quite get the hang of what you meant. I know Im going to feel quite stupid but could you enlighten me as to what you meant ...........honestly Ive read it a couple of times :) . I must be tired.

JimH
13-Jan-09, 21:55
The bottom line is this: casual racism should not be tolerated. At all. It's a nasty habit. And as I said, if you don't think it's a problem just take a look at the Hayer situation.

The Bottom line is that people take anything they feel will sell papers and blow it up, out of all proportion, and then readers or viewers do the same, and you get the sort of crap that has managed to keep this thread going for a day or two. Sensible people, and that includes HRH and the majority of posters, don't give a toss, It was 3 years ago. Life goes on!!!!

gleeber
13-Jan-09, 22:16
From todays New York Times.
"I don’t see how I can get back home in Texas and look in the mirror and be proud of what I see, if I allowed the loud voices, the loud critics to prevent me from doing what I thought was necessary to protect this country."
PRESIDENT BUSH in his final news conference as president.

I think George Bush will be glad when Barack Obama becomes president. No one can be so unpopular and not feel it. He showed a more human side yesterday in his last press conference. Mind you I know there are some of you who will say thats a matter of opinion and it is but he also mentioned that President Obamas main concern still has to be terrorism. I agree. Its easy for me to say that sitting in front of a pc in Caithness.org but history has shown terrorisim to become more acclompished as the size of their deeds increase. On top of that theres a certain uncertainty around. The world is in such a mess. Or am I just being cynical or pessemistic?
On top of that:
Theres always someone complaining about threads being hijacked on the org. Thats nonsense. This thread for example is not about Harry the prince. It's about us. We're the stars. Our opinions are the manna for the masses. What Harry may or may not say is of little importance to world history but, how we react to it is. It shows the hidden processes that lie below the surface in any community. Ten years ago these processes would have been resigned to the tea shed or the pub and no doubt have ended in the odd fistycuff. Still does I'm sure.
Now, with the help of the internet and the patience of the Fernies we have created a social document that generations in the future may wonder at. They may well ask then, how could some of those early 21st century orgers be so thick? :confused

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jan-09, 02:40
The Bottom line is that people take anything they feel will sell papers and blow it up, out of all proportion, and then readers or viewers do the same, and you get the sort of crap that has managed to keep this thread going for a day or two. Sensible people, and that includes HRH and the majority of posters, don't give a toss, It was 3 years ago. Life goes on!!!!

I'm not talking about papers; my post was about society.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jan-09, 03:04
Racism is alive and well it seems, in Scotland.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/aberdeen/A-shattered-cheek-severed-nerves.4872071.jp

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jan-09, 03:06
Even Charles and Wills are getting in on the act, too.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/-Now-Charles-and-William.4872562.jp

Metalattakk
14-Jan-09, 03:48
What's going on here? A Celtic fan, slagging off the Monarchy?

Who'd 'a thunk it...eh?

Maybe certain cola-based peeps should take a lesson in the winding in of one's neck.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jan-09, 04:32
You're paranoid. Where have you been anyway? You're usually a lot quicker than this.

JAWS
14-Jan-09, 05:22
Seems that both the "victims" of the supposed racist comments are totally unimpressed by it all.
Apparently the news media in SE Asia have reported it but paid it very little attention so they seem to have treated it in the manner it was obviously meant.
As has been said, it makes a good story to sell papers on a Sunday when vicars and politicians have spent a week behaving unreportably morally.

What amuses me is the number of people who insist they have to be offended on behalf of people who themselves feel no offence was meant as if those involved have no right not to be offended.

brokencross
14-Jan-09, 09:14
Do you mean ALL "casual racism" directed at ALL members of society or is this a selective cessation.

If it is selective i.e. restricted to Asian Sub Continent, African, Afro-American, Afro-Caribbean, Chinese etc isn't that divisive and discriminatory in itself. Would it apply to the Scots, Irish etc

Instead of all this walking on eggshells and tippy toeing around words, why can't people just learn to live together and accept a bit of innocent banter as long as it is not malicious or an incitement to hatred.

OK some of the words have really bad association in history....HISTORY being the operative word.

gleeber
14-Jan-09, 10:38
OK some of the words have really bad association in history....HISTORY being the operative word.
Your getting there slowly brokencross. Ill take a guess and suggest that all the orgers who cant see pepsis point are white men. They have no history being on the recieving end of racist behaviour. No doubt one or two will still proclaim their thickness and tell us different but on the whole the whiteman created racism as we know it today. Non of them will have an inkling what it was like to grow up amongst thousands of Percys in the 60s and 70s and from the posts we read on this thread right up until the present day.
There's a whiteman mentality throbbing through this thread. The whiteman has never had to consider his position from an ethnical point of view. He has always been the conquerer. History cannot be excluded from todays associations.

brokencross
14-Jan-09, 11:00
Your getting there slowly brokencross. Ill take a guess and suggest that all the orgers who cant see pepsis point are white men. They have no history being on the recieving end of racist behaviour. No doubt one or two will still proclaim their thickness and tell us different but on the whole the whiteman created racism as we know it today. Non of them will have an inkling what it was like to grow up amongst thousands of Percys in the 60s and 70s and from the posts we read on this thread right up until the present day.
There's a whiteman mentality throbbing through this thread. The whiteman has never had to consider his position from an ethnical point of view. He has always been the conquerer. History cannot be excluded from todays associations.

Agreed, (except I disassociate myself from the Percy reference) but do you not think by picking up on every single use of inappropriate words, it just keeps on fanning the flames. I am not suggesting for one moment the nasty history associations be forgotten or belittled, but learned from, so that we can move on and live as one!

As it happens many years ago I was racially abused.
I was in Port of Spain, Trinidad at the time of their 10th Anniversary of Independence celebrations.
It was a massive enjoyable party mardis gras atmosphere, until myself and another 2 other white males were surrounded by a group of locals who started pushing and shoving us and telling us to "go home, go back where we came from etc". It only lasted a minute or so but was really scarey. Luckily they got bored and moved on. So in a very small way I can empathise with someone who is subject to racial abuse.

honey
14-Jan-09, 11:42
take a guess and suggest that all the orgers who cant see pepsis point are white men. They have no history being on the recieving end of racist behaviour.

racism is not exclusive to white folk. and it isnt necessarily just about colour of skin. I have received "racist name calling" in England, except i saw it as banter.

therein lies the difference

Penelope Pitstop
14-Jan-09, 12:01
Yes, "white folk" are subject to racist abuse.

Did anyone see the news yesterday - the girl from Aberdeen that got her face bashed in as some yob thought she sounded English. That happend last Saturday night. Shocking.

golach
14-Jan-09, 12:31
Ill take a guess and suggest that all the orgers who cant see pepsis point are white men. They have no history being on the recieving end of racist behaviour.
I am sorry Gleeber IMO Pepsi did not start this thread with a point, he, and again IMO, was jumping on the back of the gutter press article for his own advantage and nothing more, typical hack journalism. So I don't see his point at all.
As for being a white Scot, I have been at the receiving end of "Racism", the most common insult hurled at most Scots servicemen by their English counterparts to to call us FRISP's, I will leave you to work that one out for yourself.
The terms Jock, Taffy, Geordie, Scouse, Janner and Paddy have to me always been terms of affection and acknowledgment to their roots.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jan-09, 16:55
The terms Jock, Taffy, Geordie, Scouse, Janner and Paddy have to me always been terms of affection and acknowledgment to their roots.

So it seems. And the sooner we move on from that generation of "affection and acknowedgement" the better.

Note: I didn't jump on the cynical hack angle at all (that's your assumption); I used it merely to point out that such casual racism should not be tolerated.

percy toboggan
14-Jan-09, 17:34
Yes, "white folk" are subject to racist abuse.

Did anyone see the news yesterday - the girl from Aberdeen that got her face bashed in as some yob thought she sounded English. That happend last Saturday night. Shocking.

I heard the woman on radio today.

This attack might have been inspired by nationalist hatred but if her attacker was a white Scottish bloke then I'm afraid the race issue does not enter into it. Carlisle & Gretna are inhabited largely by people of the same race....any differences are too close to call a race apart.

The attacker is a thug who deserves to be locked up for several years if apprehended.People should not be assaulted simply because of regional, national or racial differences. In fact we should steer away from violence whenever possible.

percy toboggan
14-Jan-09, 17:46
on the whole the whiteman created racism as we know it today..... None of them will have an inkling what it was like to grow up amongst thousands of Percys in the 60s and 70s....

Your first point is arrant nonsense for I think you mean 'racism as YOU know it' You're hung up on it...like a dog with a bone. Blimey! I thought I seldom shrank from pontificating on the subject but these days it's all reactive to half baked opinions from those who - like you - seek the moral high ground and see themselves on some mission to manage minds.

Your second point devalues the numbers sharing my opinion - it was more like millions.
Adjustments have been made to attitude along the way...only fools push the envelope too far and expect things to change more quickly. Positive discrimination will only alienate the still to be converted and silly arguments like the Prince Harry scenario merely fan the flames of a nation hung up on this subject.

A populace can only be force fed so much before it spews it back out.

We used to have a cat called 'Sooty' guess what colour it was. Should I be villified too? Hung out to dry. 'Appen so in your world gleeber...I'll gladly stick to my own.

hotrod4
14-Jan-09, 18:52
If you say whiteman has not had to suffer racism, isnt that stereotypical racist remark?
Have you ever heard of Zimbabwe for example? How about religous divides?Isnt bigotry the same as racism?
theres no "whiteman" mentality running through the thread its more of a case of people seeing what this was for what it is-Storm in a teacup,gutter press sensationalism,nothing to do with his colour more to do with how things are easily hyped by those too ignorant to check the facts before leaping on the "racial bandwagon".

golach
14-Jan-09, 20:06
Note: I didn't jump on the cynical hack angle at all (that's your assumption); I used it merely to point out that such casual racism should not be tolerated.
Aye right!!!!![disgust]

Bad Manners
14-Jan-09, 22:41
those who can't tell the differance between friends calling each other nick name or names other than their given name. and racist abuse IMHO need to take a long look at themself it's has happened for centurys and will continue it is human nature. however those who make offencive remarks with the aim of denigrading ones race colour or creed are commiting an offence and should be charged accordingly.

percy toboggan
15-Jan-09, 19:00
....those who make offensive remarks with the aim of denigrating ones race colour or creed are commiting an offence and should be charged accordingly.

When made to relevant individuals I totally agree with you, if the Police become involved then the...well, let's call them 'abuser' deserves all they get. We live in a society governed by laws...enough said. I despise those who are rude on any kind of personal level - when unprovoked.

Today I saw a driver almost aim his car at a black man who was dawdling across the road, missing him by inches....I was following and asked said man if he was allright. He seemed to be one of those people who dawdle everywhere. He was un-fazed and relaxed. A big grin greeted my enquiry as to his welfare. A tytpical African response...he seemed just happy to be here under grey skies and winter rain.

I initially assumed the BMW mini driver was something of a racist. Or could he just have been an impatient toerag?

(apologies to true toe-rags everywhere)

Gizmo
15-Jan-09, 19:23
(apologies to true toe-rags everywhere)

No offence taken Perc ;)