PDA

View Full Version : The Glasgow Link

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 00:47
I have pondered for a while why the majority of persons in Caithness are either Rangers or Celtic fans. Is there a reason that people do not support Wick Academy (barr the woeful performances in previous seasons) or even teams such as Ross County, Inverness CT or Aberdeen are more relevant than the two Glasgow teams.

I can only suggest that It is down to a lot of Glaswegian Immigrants to the area.

There are a lot of glory hunters

Their religious persuasion has formed the team they support

Fashion followers in the area are partial to the hoops

Can anyone explain the dominance of the Glasgow clubs in Caithness? If all these persons followed their local team such as Wick Academy the support would be huge. In turn this would lead to Wick having a chance to break into the Scottish Football league. Which in turn would lead to a good sports stadium, training facilities and community based projects through the club. Moreover it would lead to a pride in the town and a common goal.

dook
11-Jan-09, 00:51
I have pondered for a while why the majority of persons in Caithness are either Rangers or Celtic fans. Is there a reason that people do not support Wick Academy (barr the woeful performances in previous seasons) or even teams such as Ross County, Inverness CT or Aberdeen are more relevant than the two Glasgow teams.

I can only suggest that It is down to a lot of Glaswegian Immigrants to the area.

Can anyone explain the dominance of the Glasgow clubs in Caithness? If all these persons followed their local team such as Wick Academy the support would be huge. In turn this would lead to Wick having a chance to break into the Scottish Football league. Which in turn would lead to a good sports stadium, training facilities and community based projects through the club. Moreover it would lead to a pride in the town and a common goal.

I quite agree. It worked well for Inverness.

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 00:58
I quite agree. It worked well for Inverness.

Dook, I am just being specific to Caithness due to this being a Caithness forum. I realise this is a nationwide problem, where small towns/cities throughout the country have people who would rather travel to Glasgow to watch the 'tic or the 'gers than save money and time and support the team on their doorstep.

dook
11-Jan-09, 01:07
Dook, I am just being specific to Caithness due to this being a Caithness forum. I realise this is a nationwide problem, where small towns/cities throughout the country have people who would rather travel to Glasgow to watch the 'tic or the 'gers than save money and time and support the team on their doorstep.

I think it's down to the standard of the football. I watched a Wick Academy match the other day and stared in disbelief as this big guy in goals actually caught the football in his hands before throwing it out to a team mate. Everyone knows you can only kick the ball. That boy thought he was pretty special. Didn't even wear the right colour of top and had trackie bottoms on. The big jessie.

WeeBurd
11-Jan-09, 01:23

I think it's seen to be uncool to support your local team in this day and age?

slinky
11-Jan-09, 01:25
lol wick academey ,FOLLOW FOLLOW im born and bread here[lol]

dook
11-Jan-09, 01:29
I sincerely hope this thread doesn't break down into needless slagging of those horrible bluenose bin rakin Gers. It could so easily happen and I'd like to think everyone was able to rise above it.

trix
11-Jan-09, 01:33
when i first seen 'iss thread i thot it said glesgow tink...

thot it wis a follow on fie aniter thread [lol]

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 01:33
lol wick academey ,FOLLOW FOLLOW im born and bread here[lol]

I could tell by the spelling of "bread". ;)

dook
11-Jan-09, 01:36
I could tell by the spelling of "bread". ;)

Dough knead to make a wholemeal out of it Salad!

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 01:39
Dough knead to make a wholemeal out of it Salad!

you're not going to get a RISE out of me

dook
11-Jan-09, 01:42
you're not going to get a RISE out of me

With wit like that your bound to have been your mothers pride

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 01:45
With wit like that your bound to have been your mothers pride

aye, I wasn't born Yeasterday

dook
11-Jan-09, 01:47
aye, I wasn't born Yeasterday

Bet you were BAP-tised though. Man, I'm on a ROLL.

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 01:49
Bet you were BAP-tised though. Man, I'm on a ROLL.

This has now gone off topic and I want NANN more of these terrible puns. I am begining to PITTA you and your humour.

trix
11-Jan-09, 01:51
stop stop guys....ye's are killin me [lol]

dook
11-Jan-09, 01:54
stop stop guys....ye's are killin me [lol]

Sorry Flour, will dough.

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 01:56
Sorry Flour, will dough.

foccacia off Dook

parkie
11-Jan-09, 15:14
i take a SLICE of the action dook

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 15:50
I dont think its all "Glory Hunters" or religous based. I support Glasgow Rangers as When I lived in Ayrshire ma dad used to take me to Ibroxand my Family has supported Rangers for Generations.I have supported Rangers through thick and thin and would never support Inverness, Aberdeen etc. Man Utd, Real Madrid etc are a global brand and have followers well outwith the catchment areas.For the Record I also support Mancester City but dont come from Manchester!!:eek:
Whatever team you support is up to YOU and shouldnt be dictated by where you live.If thats the case then you should only buy local goods from Local shops served by a Local person!!!,we'll have no trouble here[lol] (league of gentlemen anyone!!)

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 15:51
I sincerely hope this thread doesn't break down into needless slagging of those horrible bluenose bin rakin Gers. It could so easily happen and I'd like to think everyone was able to rise above it.
So why stoop to the level of petty Name calling then?[evil]

dook
11-Jan-09, 16:01

Who said humour was lost on the org?

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 16:34
i take a SLICE of the action dook

pass my coat, I'm Leaven

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 16:40
Who said humour was lost on the org?
It would be more humorous if it was directed at ALL teams and not just one!

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 16:44
It would be more humorous if it was directed at ALL teams and not just one!

No, it was funny the way it was put.:Razz

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 16:46
No, it was funny the way it was put.:Razz
Obviously not a follower of the Blue then!!!![lol]

celtic 302
11-Jan-09, 18:19

I think someone has lost their sense of humour...

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 18:27
I hope it doesnt break down into needless slagging of those Tattie Munching Ambulance chasing munchkins. It could so easily happen and I'd like to think everyone was able to rise above it.
(humour restored!!)[lol]

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 18:30
I hope it doesnt break down into needless slagging of those Tattie Munching Ambulance chasing munchkins. It could so easily happen and I'd like to think everyone was able to rise above it.
(humour restored!!)[lol]

Not so funny ;)

golach
11-Jan-09, 21:20
Obviously not a follower of the Blue then!!!![lol]
Obviously a man of some taste and decorum :lol:

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 21:42
Obviously a man of some taste and decorum :lol:
Cant remember if you are a Hibee or a Jambo so will just say its an Edinburgh team. Doesnt the big crowd on the org not scare you!!!![lol]