PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous

miss swanson
10-Jan-09, 22:59
my partner wanted a fish tank for xmas so i went and bought him a tank in pets at home in wick fair enough? he got it on xmas day and set it up he then took a water sample to the pets at home crew to get fish he got 3 fish that day fairenough so he got told to come back a week later with another sample of water so he culd get more fish so he did but they wouldnt give him any fish as they said the ammonia level was toxic and sent him away with a hole pile of stuff which he had to buy obviously which he wasnt expecting along with instruction to do so next time we will deff get fish was a bit mad but just walked off we followed the instuctions then went back today to get more but they turned round and said we still couldnt get fish i was fuming! oh theres more! but it is ok for my partners mam to walk in to pets at home pick out fish and she got them no bother? whats the deal with that? they never tested her water nouthing, i live in thurso i go all the way to wick to get fish and tolled i cant get them. any one else go the same problem?have you ever heard the like to just buy a few fish???

highlander
10-Jan-09, 23:02
I take it when you say you want to buy fish, you want to keep the fish for a long time, surely if you are told the water is toxic the fish wont last a bang, cant see the point of this thread when folk are trying to keep you right.

telfordstar
10-Jan-09, 23:07
I have to agree. I have a tropical tank and if the balance in the water isn't correct fish do die if your amonia is high cut down the amount of food you give the fish you have that worked for me. But I have to say pets at home did the right thing.

dragonfly
10-Jan-09, 23:07
well done to P@H refusing to sell fish that would be homed in an unsuitable habitat. Very responsible of them I say.

the second coming
10-Jan-09, 23:12
Get an Angel fish, they survive almost everything, well apart from me that is.

I'm still trying to persuade my misses to let me keep trout in our aquarium but she insists on these silly little neon tetra foot soldiers that look very pretty but there just isn't much eating in them.

Good luck with the tank.

miss swanson
10-Jan-09, 23:22
yea but my partners mother went in and got fish for her self no bother no water testing nothing. so why one rule for one and not the other ??? the water wasent actualy toxic i didnt mean to say that the ammonia was slightlay high.

telfordstar
10-Jan-09, 23:29
If your water was ok they would of sold you the fish so there must of been some kindo problem with your water.

Metalattakk
10-Jan-09, 23:34
my partner wanted a fish tank for xmas so i went and bought him a tank in pets at home in wick fair enough? he got it on xmas day and set it up he then took a water sample to the pets at home crew to get fish he got 3 fish that day fairenough so he got told to come back a week later with another sample of water so he culd get more fish so he did but they wouldnt give him any fish as they said the ammonia level was toxic and sent him away with a hole pile of stuff which he had to buy obviously which he wasnt expecting along with instruction to do so next time we will deff get fish was a bit mad but just walked off we followed the instuctions then went back today to get more but they turned round and said we still couldnt get fish i was fuming! oh theres more! but it is ok for my partners mam to walk in to pets at home pick out fish and she got them no bother? whats the deal with that? they never tested her water nouthing, i live in thurso i go all the way to wick to get fish and tolled i cant get them. any one else go the same problem?have you ever heard the like to just buy a few fish???
When you were in the shop, did you stamp your feet and sulk a lot? I often find this works a treat. :roll:

miss swanson
10-Jan-09, 23:45
ur nt geting my point why one rule for one person and diffrent for another, they tested my water and not my partners mums why???????

A9RUNNER
10-Jan-09, 23:49
They are being responsible. If your water is out of spec the fish will most likely die very quickly. Then I can imagine you would be complaining that they sold you fish that were poorly. It takes a while for the water in the tank to become good and adding more fish to a tank that has high ammonia will cause the levels to go even higher making the problem even worse. Fish crap in the water so your tank needs to have the right balance of friendly bacteria living in the filter to help break it down. Adding to many fish at one time can cause problems too. It takes a while to get into the swing of thing with an aquarium just be patient.

I have never had to provide a water sample for getting fish from pets at home but my aquarium was stocked up and well established for a long time before they opened. They do ask me what size tank I have and what fish I have before they sell me any new ones and they quite correctly advised me that certain fish would grow to big for my tank and wouldnt sell me one. Becaue they know your parnter has a new setup up they will want to ensure everything is ok before they sell you more fish. I canot blame them for that.

Once your tank is fully set up and cycled they will sell you fish without a water sample. They are not discriminating against your partner.
My advice is to do regular 25% water changes and do not overfeed your fish. And never completely replace/clean your filter media as it holds all the healthy bacteria to keep your water healthy. Also real plants help but just make sure they are not full of snails as my tank has a problem with them at the moment.

Buttercup
10-Jan-09, 23:54
ur nt geting my point why one rule for one person and diffrent for another, they tested my water and not my partners mums why???????

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but, didn't you ask them (Pets at Home) why? :confused

miss swanson
10-Jan-09, 23:56
i understand bowt the ammonia bit now, but why is othere people getin to walk in buy fish no water sample and every time i get asked 4 it?

miss swanson
10-Jan-09, 23:58
Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but, didn't you ask them (Pets at Home) why? :confused

because i was home by the time his mum got her fish

A9RUNNER
11-Jan-09, 00:05
i understand bowt the ammonia bit now, but why is othere people getin to walk in buy fish no water sample and every time i get asked 4 it?

because they know you have a new set up. They would be the same with anyone that bought a new set up from them.

telfordstar
11-Jan-09, 00:15
because they know you have a new set up. They would be the same with anyone that bought a new set up from them.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there. It takes a while for a new tank to settle down I understand your deep for fish in your tank I was the same but I'm afraid you will just have to patient.

Julia
11-Jan-09, 00:25

That's exactly it, anyone just going in to buy a fish obviously already has a tank set up, when I bough my last fishie there they asked shat kind of tank I had, I suspect that had I said my fish keep dying (they don't) then they would have asked me too to bring in a water sample prior to selling me a fish.

It's pointless a wee fishie dying if just by checking the water first you can prevent it, it's still a living creature and even though it's not big like a dog etc.. it still deserves the best home and care possible. I'm not saying you are not providing that at all but I get the impression from a lot of folk (not on here) och it's just a fish! That really annoys me.

Tilter
11-Jan-09, 00:47
I get the impression from a lot of folk (not on here) och it's just a fish! That really annoys me.

Totally agree with you Julia. We have some goldfish that are 10+ years old now (live outside in a pond) and I'm really attached to them. My sister-in-law has koi carp that beg food from you and take food from your hand. Ponds are probably easier to keep than aquariums, but we still check the water a couple of times a year.

BTW, does anyone know the lifespan of goldfish? Ours have moved pond with us when we've moved house, and will probably have to do so again.

Buttercup
11-Jan-09, 01:09
because i was home by the time his mum got her fish

But couldn't you phone them and ask since it's bothering you so much? :confused

cullykev
11-Jan-09, 04:19
this is a pointless thread

Mik.M.
11-Jan-09, 13:19
wiv lodes ov spelin miss stakes innit.

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 13:23
Why is it pointless? She is merely stating the point that they arent being "even across the board" with their customers. I believe that is the point.
They should do it for everyone or dont do it at all, thats the fair way isnt it?.
personally I dont touch their fish as half the time you go in there the fish are "Under treatment" or have noticed a few "floaters" on a couple of occasions.
I bought most of my fish from an Internet breeder and they were excellent quality from a good solid strain.They asked me about my levels and I told them all is Ok, they believed me(it was true).I understand they have to worry about the fishs welfare and understand that, but I do feel that sometimes they become a bit too "Hitler-esque" when they should get their own house in order before lecturing to the Customers![evil]

cullykev
11-Jan-09, 14:05
theres nothing wrong with the fish at Pets At Home

telfordstar
11-Jan-09, 14:36
theres nothing wrong with the fish at Pets At Home

You would say that you work there .

Shabbychic
11-Jan-09, 16:01

No...But that was a pointless answer.

miss swanson was airing her views, and is entitled to do so. If anyone doesn't like this thread, they don't have to read it or respond to it.

In fact this thread is informing peope of what to expect when buying fish from this shop.

lildj
11-Jan-09, 16:20
i stopped geting my fish from wick pets at home because they were all dying with in a month or so. I took them back and they said they would get back to me to tell me what was wrong...they never did bad customer service in my opinion. My water gets tested every time I went in to get fish and they say its fine.

My friend went in got a new tank went back the next day got fish without a water sample? I now go to Inverness to get my fish they last a lot longer.

So Miss Swanson I understand where you are coming from by 1 rule for 1 person but different for another is not rite.

cullykev
11-Jan-09, 16:37
if u got problem then phone them up if it bothers you so much. luck of the draw init lildj. they are living creatures and sometimes this happens u cant just blame the place u got it from.fish get stressed out when getting transported so ive found when buying fish myself.

lildj
11-Jan-09, 16:51
if u got problem then phone them up if it bothers you so much. luck of the draw init lildj. they are living creatures and sometimes this happens u cant just blame the place u got it from.fish get stressed out when getting transported so ive found when buying fish myself.

i think u were toled b4 but i will say again u would say that u work there

so why did theye not contact me bowt the number of fish i have taken back? when i was toled "we will contact u within 4 days" tell me that one "cullykev"

cullykev
11-Jan-09, 17:00
i wouldnt know. y would they have to contact yooh tho

lildj
11-Jan-09, 17:14
i wouldnt know. y would they have to contact yooh tho

the boy that took my fish tolled me that they were getting tested and would phone me to tell me what happened with them. I will not be buying fish from pets at home I will be getting my fish from an Internet supplier

chamb
11-Jan-09, 17:18

if its pointless why bother quoting on it

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 17:36
I have nothing against PAH.But they do seem to have a few problems on a regular basis. Maybe I am unlucky that when I have been in its the same fish and there always under treatment.Then they say "Dont put more than 1 shark in your tank as they are territorial" true but why do they have a tank full of sharks then tell you not to!!!.
Do as I say not as I do methinks![evil]

telfordstar
11-Jan-09, 20:20
In a sentence. Go and see the manager about all your problems not going to help ranting on in here.:roll:

Scunner
12-Jan-09, 10:46
Suggest you read page 20 left hand column of the Sunday Post.