PDA

View Full Version : Fairways

Macwull
10-Jan-09, 20:01
Was in Fairways in wick today.

Lady was very helpful, She advised us on lining for curtains and explained it all to us, Great service from a local shop.

She has some lovely curtains so its worth a pop in, she is currently waiting for laurence ?Llwyen-bowen? range and others.

butterfly
10-Jan-09, 21:12
i have to agree with you there macwull,the lady is just like her father,would do anything for you.and the shop has moved with the times too,stuff there for all sorts of taste.when you go in you get her undivided attention and very pleasant with it too.much cheaper than tescos and much better quality.fairways keep up the good work!:):)

dirdyweeker
11-Jan-09, 03:12
I was in there shopping this week too.....the assistant did say she had been busy (Wednesday afternoon and open!)
Found prices matched the quality. Very good service (as always). Much smaller than in the past but still a varied range. Highly recommended and well worth a visit to those of you who have not been recently.

Missed Mary.:(

Iffy
11-Jan-09, 15:55
I remember some years ago now, my Mum often going into Fairways and she always got a really good deal/bargain from the older gentleman who I think owned the shop ?

Because of this, myself, my husband and my Dad still, to this day, call the shop - "Mum's Boyfriends' Shop" !!

Another thing I remember about that very kind, and very helpful, gentleman was, one day it was lashing down with rain and I'd popped into buy something. On my way out, cos I had no umbella with me, he insisted I borrow his umbrella and return it whenever I could manage to do so. I went back the next day with it, with sincere thanks to him, especially since I wasn't a "little old lady" but a fit 30-something !!

Don't know his name, but if his daughter is following in her Father's footsteps then that shop will be going for many years yet :)

butterfly
13-Jan-09, 03:56
with service as good as this it makes you go back again and again.so nice to get a friendly greeting when you go in and she does make you feel at ease while you look around.i will certainly be going back.if i need any household linen in future thats the place that will get my hard earned money.you cant beat it for good quality and fair prices.her father taught her well!:):)

poppett
13-Jan-09, 09:36
It`s good to see an established family business being able to continue to trade in these hard times. Have had a few bargains there myself and like to browse two or three times before buying bedlinen as i always have co-ordinates and two or three sets to last a while, so it is a big thing for me to get it right. No selling pressure put upon you.

When forced to shop is T***o I can never get to the check out fast enough. but Fairways is a pleasure

ar1ling
15-Jan-09, 02:32
will try there soon, i remembered the old gentleman who used to served me when i bought some curtains, he was really friendly and helpful.if that lady working there is his daughter, i m sure we will really pleased by her service.:D

dirdyweeker
17-Jan-09, 01:42
Don't know his name, but if his daughter is following in her Father's footsteps then that shop will be going for many years yet :)

His name is Ernie

Anne x
17-Jan-09, 02:00
I love that shop and always used to visit it its the only place I used to be able to dig about and not be pounced on
I always bought my sink (washing up )clothes from him and still have 3 which are bleached weekly and still in use all the very best to Ernies daughter if she is continuing the business

bagpuss
14-Apr-09, 18:59
Ernie and his daughter have asked me to pass on their thanks for all the nice comments left on this thread. Ernie and his long serving assistant Mary have both retired now on health grounds. The business is being taken over by the Linen Cupboard, and the public will continue to get the same high level of service from Joan Henderson who took over from Mary back in November, and is being retained by The Linen Cupboard (which incidentally has an even wider range than Fairways).

Julie (Ernie's daughter) had the option to let the premises to a number of other concerns, but went out of her way to ensure there would continue to be an outlet of this kind.

dirdyweeker
14-Apr-09, 20:16
That's nice. Joan is as good as all their staff over the years. Must be well chosen.

catran
14-Apr-09, 22:28
That's nice. Joan is as good as all their staff over the years. Must be well chosen.
By all accounts it is one of the best places to shop in Wick, so says my Mrs. wont say missus as that is not Caithnessian. apparently always has been one of the better shops in town so keep up the good work.

butterfly
16-Apr-09, 03:05
Julie (Ernie's daughter) had the option to let the premises to a number of other concerns, but went out of her way to ensure there would continue to be an outlet of this kind.

Thank goodness it will still be a linen shop because i have found that tesco's are not as good a quality as Fairways was.Must pay them a visit now! I wish them every success with their new business.