PDA

View Full Version : Iceland a possible for woolies sites??

Kathy@watten
10-Jan-09, 17:18
Have just read on AOL news page that Iceland has bought over 2500 woolies stores, do you think Thurso and Wick will get Iceland and would this be a good thing? Not personally being a big fan of frozen food I think it would be of little advantage to me, but may be good for the town centre areas as at the mo it is all a bit depressing seeing the former woolies lying empty and sets a bad scene for tourists and encourages the already active minority to further vandalise the town! If they do come they will provide needed jobs and a source of cheap frozen stuff for those who like that kind of thing!

dirdyweeker
10-Jan-09, 17:23
Just to have the empty shops being used will be better than derelict buildings. No matter who takes over the store it will not please everyone. An Iceland store I could cope with.

Fran
10-Jan-09, 17:26
Farmfoods or Matalan would be my favourite.

Kathy@watten
10-Jan-09, 17:32
Oops did not read new article right...said they bought 51 stores and would have a possible 2500 jobs! a bit of a difference that sorry everyone!

quality
10-Jan-09, 17:33
List of Woolworth store bought by Iceland

Alton, Barnsley, Belper, Bethnal Green, Bexhill On Sea, Bicester, Billericay, Blandford Forum, Bodmin, Boreham Wood, Bow, Braintree, Broadstairs, Devizes, Exmouth, Fraserburgh, Frome, Greenford, Hackney, Hailsham, Harold Hill, Haverhill, Herne Bay, Hexham, Highgate, Honiton, Kilburn High Road, Leyton, Malvern, Matlock, Mill Hill, Minehead, Monmouth, Morpeth, Morriston, Newtownards, Palmers Green, Pinner (Rayner's Lane), Palmers Green, Plumstead, Pontypool, Poplar, Portslade, Ringwood, St Neots, Stoke Newington, Strood, Sudbury, Swaffham, Wakefield, Wallington, Whitstable

Venture
10-Jan-09, 17:37
I don't even think they could buy the Wick one as the building was supposedly rented not owned by Woolies. Anyone able to clarify this?

weeksider
10-Jan-09, 17:40
Iceland have already looked @ the Wick /Thurso EX Woolies shop but unsuitable for them they say

Bazeye
10-Jan-09, 19:06
Wonder what they mean by unsuitable? Because they wont make as much money as the others..........or am I just turning into an old cynic?

binbob
10-Jan-09, 19:48
Have just read on AOL news page that Iceland has bought over 2500 woolies stores, do you think Thurso and Wick will get Iceland and would this be a good thing? Not personally being a big fan of frozen food I think it would be of little advantage to me, but may be good for the town centre areas as at the mo it is all a bit depressing seeing the former woolies lying empty and sets a bad scene for tourists and encourages the already active minority to further vandalise the town! If they do come they will provide needed jobs and a source of cheap frozen stuff for those who like that kind of thing!

iceland sell more than frozen food..and i prefer them to farmfoods....quality is not as good as iceland,it is nearly 8 years since i was in an iceland shop...

Kevin Milkins
10-Jan-09, 20:04
Oops did not read new article right...said they bought 51 stores and would have a possible 2500 jobs! a bit of a difference that sorry everyone!

Thanks for the correction Kathy, I was about to get busy on google.:lol:

suitability of an iceland store would proberbly take into account its model for success and not sure a three story building without on sight parking and easy loading would be what they would be loking for.

Boss
10-Jan-09, 20:36

It would be good in as much as there is need for such a store in Wick and in Thurso, it would also be good if those who lost their jobs through the demise of woolworth's, were to be offered a new position in the shop.

I realise frozen food is not everyone's ideal but for many in very remote areas, it could very well be a godsend, most especially, if it cuts the journeys into town, and with the recession biting, fewer visits to the shops etc.

grumpy1
10-Jan-09, 21:20
it would be great to see iceland up here ..i been up here nearly 8yrs now and i still miss having an iceland near by.. i used to shop there all the time..

balto
10-Jan-09, 22:41
Iceland have already looked @ the Wick /Thurso EX Woolies shop but unsuitable for them they say
And you know this because?

igglepiggle
10-Jan-09, 23:08
i would like an iceland here also, i prefer them to farmfoods, plus it will fill up and empty shop and create jobs, but dont think we are on the list :(

Ash
10-Jan-09, 23:17
i would like an iceland here also, i prefer them to farmfoods, plus it will fill up and empty shop and create jobs, but dont think we are on the list :(

i would love this is aswell, especially the job opportunities... im currently looking for a job for when the wee one goes into P1 but there isnt anything at all up here

Vistravi
10-Jan-09, 23:38
I'd rather have matalan instead of iceland. It's the best place to get cheap clothes and looking at the thurso and wick stores matalan or sumthing like it would work better cos iceland would be wanting a big car park and the one in the market square isn't big enough.

Vistravi
10-Jan-09, 23:44
And you know this because?

It'll be because the car park between the 99p shop and the empty woolies store is too small. Iceland will be wanting their own car park and a big one. the one in the market square isn't big enough.;)

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 00:25
iceland sell more than frozen food..and i prefer them to farmfoods....quality is not as good as iceland,it is nearly 8 years since i was in an iceland shop...

I went to Iceland about 5 years ago, I found there was too many geysers there.

dook
11-Jan-09, 00:28
No way should we have an Iceland. Look what it did to Kerry Katona!

ShelleyCowie
11-Jan-09, 00:38
I would like to see a nice decent priced clothes shop! All ranges! I am sick of going into Mackays with a lack of mens clothing for my partner, fashionable clothes for myself, and decent prices for baby clothes!! I paid £12 for baby grows just because i was desperate for a few newborn sizes and woolies had none at the time!

I dont want to have to go to to wick tesco just to get clothes!! I have no transport through all the time! And online clothes can be rather expensive!

So bring us a good clothes shop! ;)

bagpuss
11-Jan-09, 00:44
Why don't the councillors make an approach to Tom McGougan of Scapa Developments to invite him to take on the empty locations in Wick, and approach the high Street chains who had shown an interest in opening in the Tesco retail park. Given that apart from Woolies there are two empty outlets on Bridge street, and the former wool shop on High Street, it would let them dip their toes in the water and decide if the trade is really there for them, without having to commit to taking on huge premises. That way the future of the town centre might be secured.

2little2late
11-Jan-09, 23:26
Iceland won't be coming to Wick anyway.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7820981.stm

Kevin Milkins
12-Jan-09, 01:18

It's comforting to know that they will be going to Pontypool though.:confused

TBH
12-Jan-09, 04:18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7820981.stmNice to see that it gives you so much pleasure.

hotrod4
12-Jan-09, 05:57
Thats a shame that we have LOST out there. I thought we may have FOUND a buyer!;)

2little2late
12-Jan-09, 18:27
Thats a shame that we have LOST out there. I thought we may have FOUND a buyer!;)

Here we go again. Yaaaaawwwwnnnnnnn.

hotrod4
12-Jan-09, 19:11
Here we go again. Yaaaaawwwwnnnnnnn.
A bit like you posting YET ANOTHER plea to admins to have a "Lost and Found " section,because it Bores you.I notice you like photography I dont but i wouldnt go in the photography section and tell them that it "Bores me".
Live and let live.[evil]If you dont like a subject move on simple really!

ShelleyCowie
12-Jan-09, 19:34
A bit like you posting YET ANOTHER plea to admins to have a "Lost and Found " section,because it Bores you.I notice you like photography I dont but i wouldnt go in the photography section and tell them that it "Bores me".

Maybe thats still not broken down enough for 2little2late to understand....

Photography........yyyyyyyyaaaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn! [lol]

2little2late
13-Jan-09, 01:21

Just show how interesting the thread was. It's been removed hasn't it? But if you want to carry on being childish then that is up to you. No skin off my nose.
Why don't you take your own advice and move on as well. After all isn't this thread about Woolies/Iceland? Nothing to do with the other thread that has since been deleted.

fingalmacool
13-Jan-09, 01:36
Why you no listen, I told you lot before,,,Wetherspoons me old Chinas:confused

hotrod4
13-Jan-09, 06:44
Iceland would be good, but didnt i read in the Groat a couple of weeks back that they would prefer something "Arty"?. Something that wouldnt take trade away from existing business'. Maybe I am wrong but surely a business that pulls people into the centre would be a better thing for all the existing traders than something "Arty"?
if i can see the economic sense of this then surely it would be better.
I would much rather go down the street to shop than get some cultural learnings!.
Will have a hunt for the article and see if i can find it.

ShelleyCowie
13-Jan-09, 13:04
Just show how interesting the thread was. It's been removed hasn't it? But if you want to carry on being childish then that is up to you. No skin off my nose.
Why don't you take your own advice and move on as well. After all isn't this thread about Woolies/Iceland? Nothing to do with the other thread that has since been deleted.

Im just pure avoiding anything you have posted on now! :(

thebigman
13-Jan-09, 14:01
Heard they weren't taking over Woolies for health and safety reasons, frostbite in e pic 'n' mix :-)

zappster
13-Jan-09, 22:10
I would like to see a nice decent priced clothes shop! All ranges! I am sick of going into Mackays with a lack of mens clothing for my partner, fashionable clothes for myself, and decent prices for baby clothes!! I paid £12 for baby grows just because i was desperate for a few newborn sizes and woolies had none at the time!

I dont want to have to go to to wick tesco just to get clothes!! I have no transport through all the time! And online clothes can be rather expensive!

So bring us a good clothes shop! ;)

Aye a shop like NEXT would be good

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-09, 00:59
Next has a beautiful range of clothes, but sadly i can not afford to buy for my son there! Jeans are way to expensive, along with t-shits and jumpers etc etc. I have a few items from Next but that is what people bought me when he was born! :confused

Just cant afford it!

Primark please!!!

Anne x
14-Jan-09, 01:07
Next has a beautiful range of clothes, but sadly i can not afford to buy for my son there! Jeans are way to expensive, along with t-shits and jumpers etc etc. I have a few items from Next but that is what people bought me when he was born! :confused

Just cant afford it!

Primark please!!!

Primark !! I dont think that will be happening and as to why anyone would want to to purchase there clothes is beyond me considering the pittance and way they treat the people who make the products and the conditions they work under
All Primark has achieved is to contribute to a throw away society

TBH
14-Jan-09, 01:13
Primark !! I dont think that will be happening and as to why anyone would want to to purchase there clothes is beyond me considering the pittance and way they treat the people who make the products and the conditions they work under
All Primark has achieved is to contribute to a throw away societyHow many companies do you know that don't contribute to the throwaway society. How many do you know that don't rip their suppliers off?
It's not right but there are many companies with the enormous buying power that enables them to treat their suppliers and their employees with contempt.

Anne x
14-Jan-09, 01:21
How many companies do you know that don't contribute to the throwaway society. How many do you know that don't rip their suppliers off?
It's not right but there are many companies with the enormous buying power that enables them to treat their suppliers and their employees with contempt.

To be honest not at lot !! but then I have not researched the subject as you obviously have ?
I was talking about Primark and the lower end fashion trendy shops the Throw away Society in General
Whatever happened to grow out off and pass on clothes or make do and mend era

wifie
14-Jan-09, 01:23
How many companies do you know that don't contribute to the throwaway society. How many do you know that don't rip their suppliers off?

Sadly true and often thru economic circumstance folk are made to shop there. Actually no it is not really economic circumstance it is shops like this and the type of society we live in now that dictates shopping habits! No- one wants quality or a fair price any more!
Hope you find the article hotrod - I would like to see "arty" defined! Perhaps that is what is lacking today a bit of culture or knowledge!

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-09, 01:27
To be honest i said Primark because it is something i can afford. I cant afford "trendy" clothes constantly! Certainly not for a baby either!

Im sorry if people took offence because of "working conditions" Which i am not educated on that of Primark.

I usually only buy pyjamas and house hold items from there such as towels!

TBH
14-Jan-09, 01:29
To be honest not at lot !! but then I have not researched the subject as you obviously have ?
I was talking about Primark and the lower end fashion trendy shops the Throw away Society in General
Whatever happened to grow out off and pass on clothes or make do and mend eraI have not researched it but your sarcasm is duly noted.[lol]
All major companies rip their suppliers off, therefore those suppliers have to cut their cloth appropriately affecting the start of the supply chain.

Anne x
14-Jan-09, 01:36
I have not researched it but your sarcasm is duly noted.[lol]
All major companies rip their suppliers off, therefore those suppliers have to cut their cloth appropriately affecting the start of the supply chain.

Sarcasm TBH Never lol
All of us sadly in this day and age have to cut our cloth to suit our budgets

wifie
14-Jan-09, 01:38
Sarcasm TBH Never lol
All of us sadly in this day and age have to cut our cloth to suit our budgets
Annie - people have always done that but nowadays it means buyin cheap tat that doesn't last because society today dictates that we must be up to date wi looks on ourselves and in our homes!

Anne x
14-Jan-09, 01:40
Annie - people have always done that but nowadays it means buyin cheap tat that doesn't last because society today dictates that we must be up to date wi looks on ourselves and in our homes!

lol wifie You havna seen mine then Id to get the hoose to fit the old furniture [lol]

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-09, 01:47

Cheap Tat? :eek:

wifie
14-Jan-09, 02:09
Cheap Tat? :eek:

Shelley don't take offence - none is meant! But I am sure you don't have stuff you bought from Primark that has lasted years and neither would you expect it to would you?

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-09, 02:16
Shelley don't take offence - none is meant! But I am sure you don't have stuff you bought from Primark that has lasted years and neither would you expect it to would you?

Sorry...not taken offence dinna worry! ;) Just thought it was being insinuated i bought cheap tat lol! Which i dinna!

As i said i only buy pyjamas and towels mainly from primark! But to be honest i am an ebay addict! :roll: lol so alot o stuff comes from there!

And this may sound as if its contradicting to what i said earlier about not wanting to spend a fortune on stuff, but i have to get Shell Toe Addidas Trainers! And to be fair they last usually a year.

I just think Primark pyjamas are comfy for me! I had been sliced open back in October and alot o other pyjamas hurt my belly! lol!

Its just i dinna want to spend a fortune on baby clothes if the wee pooper will grow out o it so fast! :roll: Boys eh! Cha! Lol!

hotrod4
14-Jan-09, 07:35
Sorry...not taken offence dinna worry! ;) Just thought it was being insinuated i bought cheap tat lol! Which i dinna!

As i said i only buy pyjamas and towels mainly from primark! But to be honest i am an ebay addict! :roll: lol so alot o stuff comes from there!

And this may sound as if its contradicting to what i said earlier about not wanting to spend a fortune on stuff, but i have to get Shell Toe Addidas Trainers! And to be fair they last usually a year.

I just think Primark pyjamas are comfy for me! I had been sliced open back in October and alot o other pyjamas hurt my belly! lol!

Its just i dinna want to spend a fortune on baby clothes if the wee pooper will grow out o it so fast! :roll: Boys eh! Cha! Lol!

Mrs Rod swears by primark Jammies. I too have bought a few tops that are G-Star replicas, virtauallly identical in every way except for the name. G-star top £30, Primark Replica £3.I l love G-Star but its so darn expensive. A big difference. And yes G-star clothes are made in India,Pakistan and China so they too could be using cheap labour but charging 10x the price!!!

Ash
14-Jan-09, 10:04
i love primark for kids clothes and household items... i cannot afford expensive clothing especially for kids when the grow soo quickly and arent in it long.... Bhs would be good, or peacocks :D

balto
14-Jan-09, 10:26
i love primark for kids clothes and household items... i cannot afford expensive clothing especially for kids when the grow soo quickly and arent in it long.... Bhs would be good, or peacocks :D
have to agree with you there, i also cant afford expensive cloths and like you ssay when the kids grow so quick anyway really is a waste of money, so what we need up here is a decent cloths shop like primark that isnt way over priced.

Penelope Pitstop
14-Jan-09, 10:55
Was in M & S in Inverness last week and noticed they had exactly the same jumpers on sale as primark. The primark ones were about £5 the M&S one £10. Same just with a different label sewn in !!

There was alot of controversay over the workers that Primark use on the news the other day - I don't know if anyone else heard it? Illegal immigrants in a UK factory getting about 1/2 minimum wage..:(

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-09, 11:39
Was in M & S in Inverness last week and noticed they had exactly the same jumpers on sale as primark. The primark ones were about £5 the M&S one £10. Same just with a different label sewn in !!

There was alot of controversay over the workers that Primark use on the news the other day - I don't know if anyone else heard it? Illegal immigrants in a UK factory getting about 1/2 minimum wage..:(

I had not heard about the workers or things like that! It is awful....but (not wanting to cause anybody upset here) we buy the clothes for us and our children etc etc.....if we like the clothes, they are a decent price etc etc then buy them!

Would people stop going to Next if news came out that they were doing the same?

I cant afford to buy from Next, River Island, Monsoon etc etc. As much as i would like to because they have lovely clothes! But i can get good clothes off ebay....brand new for cheaper!

Just recently i got a new pair of kick flare jeans, Amisu brand, £4! :eek: Thats like stealing! :lol:

Penelope Pitstop
14-Jan-09, 11:49
I had not heard about the workers or things like that! It is awful....but (not wanting to cause anybody upset here) we buy the clothes for us and our children etc etc.....if we like the clothes, they are a decent price etc etc then buy them!

Would people stop going to Next if news came out that they were doing the same?

I cant afford to buy from Next, River Island, Monsoon etc etc. As much as i would like to because they have lovely clothes! But i can get good clothes off ebay....brand new for cheaper!

Just recently i got a new pair of kick flare jeans, Amisu brand, £4! :eek: Thats like stealing! :lol:

I buy from Primark too. My girls love shopping there too.:) Great for socks and PJs!!

PS. the £4 for jeans - cheap or what.....that's probably the price of a zip!!

Sorry, I wasn't saying folk shouldn't buy from them...I was just passing on what I had heard...to be honest I was quite surprised that that was happening in this country by such a well known chain....but I suppose there's lots going on that we don't know about!

ShelleyCowie
14-Jan-09, 11:53
I buy from Primark too. My girls love shopping there too.:) Great for socks and PJs!!

PS. the £4 for jeans - cheap or what.....that's probably the price of a zip!!

Sorry, I wasn't saying folk shouldn't buy from them...I was just passing on what I had heard...to be honest I was quite surprised that that was happening in this country by such a well known chain....but I suppose there's lots going on that we don't know about!

Oh no nothing will stop me buying from there especially if i am buyin on a budget!!! :)

And u are right....there is probably loads more we dont know about things! Everything so secrative!