PDA

View Full Version : Wanton Damage in Wick

Salad Fingers
09-Jan-09, 21:23
I have lived in a few places in my life, ranging from Cities to Villages however I have never lived in a place where vandalism is so rife.

It appears that it is inbred into some of the natives to smash windows, scratch cars and break other peoples property. Some damage appears to be carried out as revenge for fall outs or disagreements between folk. Other damage is just for the hell of it by bored youths who are either ignored by their parents or have not been given or offered anything to stimulate them. There is also the drunken fool who thinks it is Big to damage something on his way home.

Just this week cars were ran over by a bunch of young ones causing damage to them.

I don't know if people are scared of the people who do this or genuinely do not see the damage happening. However it comes a time for the people of Wick to take pride in their town and "shop" these mindless idiots. I have reported incidents to police before in the hope that it makes a difference. What the Police need are more people who are willing to do this.

If this happened Wick would be a nicer place to live and also the insurance premiums paid on cars and properties would be cheaper. Zero tolerance I say.

forevera123
09-Jan-09, 21:42
a lot of mindless idiots who have done the vandalism and then run away without being caught by police,thats why the vandalisms are increased everywhere in the town. if there are more city cctv fixed in the town, i think police would be able to track these idiots down when they do some vandalism,and then charge them for what they have damaged. people will feel more safe and relax by that.:D

dook
09-Jan-09, 23:03
CCTV or machine gun nests........

Salad Fingers
09-Jan-09, 23:08
CCTV or machine gun nests........

grassy knolls and snipers. I'll call my mate Mr Ruby now...you supply the knolls

rfr10
09-Jan-09, 23:20
Mindless idiots like the ones who bashed on our door tonight. I decided to try and chase them but one noticed and ran off round the corner. Shame really :Razz

From the mind of a young person- the reason many would do such things is lack of things to do hence the reason why we are attempting to get a youth cafe in Wick. Although this is no excuse to get up to such immiture behaviour, this will be a reason. The increased amount of negative press about young people doesn't make matters any better. Press should be publishing more achievements on young peoples' behalf rather than the negatives. This is likely to reduce the bad name young people or "Youth" have for themselve. It is evident that some young people want attention and if they only way to get attention is to vandalise, etc then this is undoubtedly what they will do. If more attention is payed to positive aspects of their life then they are likely to take part in worthwhile activities.

dook
09-Jan-09, 23:22
grassy knolls and snipers. I'll call my mate Mr Ruby now...you supply the knolls

Is that the ugly things you find under bridges?

dook
09-Jan-09, 23:28
Mindless idiots like the ones who bashed on our door tonight. I decided to try and chase them but one noticed and ran off round the corner. Shame really :Razz

From the mind of a young person- the reason many would do such things is lack of things to do hence the reason why we are attempting to get a youth cafe in Wick. Although this is no excuse to get up to such immiture behaviour, this will be a reason. The increased amount of negative press about young people doesn't make matters any better. Press should be publishing more achievements on young peoples' behalf rather than the negatives. This is likely to reduce the bad name young people or "Youth" have for themselve. It is evident that some young people want attention and if they only way to get attention is to vandalise, etc then this is undoubtedly what they will do. If more attention is payed to positive aspects of their life then they are likely to take part in worthwhile activities.

Only a young person would say that or try to excuse the "yoof"

If it was a lack of things to do, then why wasn't everything smashed up 30 years ago when their was less to do for the young. Too much tolerance by the lentil munchers and an absolute lack of respect for anything by the recidivists. How many of the little idiots would stop even if you built a super sport complex? Solution-build a big dark corner, make it smell of pee, fill it full of alcopops and drugs and hey presto, you'll have more attending there than anywhere.

rfr10
09-Jan-09, 23:41
Only a young person would say that or try to excuse the "yoof"

If it was a lack of things to do, then why wasn't everything smashed up 30 years ago when their was less to do for the young. Too much tolerance by the lentil munchers and an absolute lack of respect for anything by the recidivists. How many of the little idiots would stop even if you built a super sport complex? Solution-build a big dark corner, make it smell of pee, fill it full of alcopops and drugs and hey presto, you'll have more attending there than anywhere.

Well isn't that my purpose.. to defend young people.

Yes maybe young people these days have less imaginative minds and decide to do such things. But is it really the young people to blame in full? Something must be changing and I doubt minds change that much. I'm a behaviourist and believe that most behaviour is learnt. Young people must be influenced by something? Is it because parents are becoming more permissive, law enforcement is too soft..? Something must be encouraging them. I think the generation gap is partially to blame. There is too big a stigma between young people and adults and maybe it's the fact that adults run this world, they make the decisions for young people. Do young people really have a voice in society? I don't think so.

dook
09-Jan-09, 23:52
Well isn't that my purpose.. to defend young people.

Yes maybe young people these days have less imaginative minds and decide to do such things. But is it really the young people to blame in full? Something must be changing and I doubt minds change that much. I'm a behaviourist and believe that most behaviour is learnt. Young people must be influenced by something? Is it because parents are becoming more permissive, law enforcement is too soft..? Something must be encouraging them. I think the generation gap is partially to blame. There is too big a stigma between young people and adults and maybe it's the fact that adults run this world, they make the decisions for young people. Do young people really have a voice in society? I don't think so.

Your purpose is to eat and breed. Nothing more. Animal behaviour in its simple beautiful form.

Respect has to be earned. Experience has to be gained. Unfortunately both take time which is why slightly older people have the responsibility. I believe the reason for several issues today, certainly are down to my generation being too lenient. Too many decisions made by sheltered people living in happy bubbles or who are only in it for personal gain.

brokencross
09-Jan-09, 23:56

It is not immature behaviour...as the thread title says it is wanton damage of other peoples valued property.

Sorry but trying to give reasons or excuse it by pleading boredom, lack of ameneties, nowhere to go, wanting attention etc carry no weight at all in my book. Youngsters seem to have lost their imaginations and unable to create anything to amuse themselves.

I agree that more needs to be done to praise and highlight the good that youngsters do.

The original poster, Salad Fingers is right; a stand has to be taken and acts of wanton vandalism, no matter how small, should be reported. I am pretty sure in a town the size of Wick, the culprits and usual suspects are well known. The fear of reprisals is an obvious deterrent from reporting someone, but does Scotland not have Crimestoppers where information is treated in confidence.

A little bit of "Where were you last night; what were you doing; who were you with?" from parents would also go a long way to help. Also parents should monitor the "condition" of youngsters when they come home; have they been drinking or taking drugs? Strict parental curfews might also help.

For the younger offenders a good talking to by the police may be all it needs to bring them back on the straight and narrow. If the damage is being caused by an older element, then throw the book at them.

Kevin Milkins
09-Jan-09, 23:57
Wick has some social issues just the same as anywere else in the uk.

I have lived in a few places and it is my experiance that it is less of a problem here than anywere I have lived and would say the young people of Wick more polite and less of a problem than most places.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:00
Your purpose is to eat and breed. Nothing more. Animal behaviour in its simple beautiful form.

Respect has to be earned. Experience has to be gained. Unfortunately both take time which is why slightly older people have the responsibility. I believe the reason for several issues today, certainly are down to my generation being too lenient. Too many decisions made by sheltered people living in happy bubbles or who are only in it for personal gain.

I'm not a rabbit thank you very much and I'm a mammal not an animal. Maybe that's what you believe life is about but it's certainly not mine.

Yes I quite agree that respect, experience and responsibility is required in order to run this world but if adults want to run this world properly, they need to fully account for the needs of young people as well and take the time to listen to them. As my signature used to say "Young people are the world's future" If our world leaders don't provide young people with a sense of responsibility then how are we ever possibly going to learn?

Torvaig
10-Jan-09, 00:03

I have lived in a few places and it is my experiance that it is less of a problem here than anywere I have lived and would say the young people of Wick more polite and less of a problem than most places.

Glad you are acknowledging the decent youngsters about town; there are many of them but sadly are overshadowed by the hooligans.

And let's not forget that not all hooligans are youngsters....

brokencross
10-Jan-09, 00:06
And let's not forget that not all hooligans are youngsters....

Spot on! Couldn't agree more!

wifie
10-Jan-09, 00:07
I think the total lack of respect shown by a lot of society, not just the young, is to blame. Brokencross - a talking to by the police might have worked once upon a time but the police are often shown in a bad light these days and no longer have the clout they once did! I feel there was a generation that was was a little less strict than those before and now it has gone too far and is coming back to bite us all on the bum!

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:08
Sorry but trying to give reasons or excuse it by pleading boredom, lack of ameneties, nowhere to go, wanting attention etc carry no weight at all in my book.

Yes I know this is not a valid excuse but I'm stating some of the excuses from a young person's point of view. Not necessarily myself but I know for a fact if they were encouraged to think and active imaginations were provided, they would be more respected.

Youngsters seem to have lost their imaginations and unable to create anything to amuse themselves.

I quite agree with what you have said here but how is this resolved? We can't change what has been created that easily.

A little bit of "Where were you last night; what were you doing; who were you with?" from parents would also go a long way to help. Also parents should monitor the "condition" of youngsters when they come home; have they been drinking or taking drugs? Strict parental curfews might also help.

For the younger offenders a good talking to by the police may be all it needs to bring them back on the straight and narrow. If the damage is being caused by an older element, then throw the book at them.

Once again, I agree with you here too.

Venture
10-Jan-09, 00:09
Today the majority of parents of 14, 15 and 16 year olds are in their 30's. I'd say 90% of the time they don't even know where their children are or who they are with or what they are up to.

golach
10-Jan-09, 00:09
From the mind of a young person- the reason many would do such things is lack of things to do , this will be a reason. The increased amount of negative press about young people doesn't make matters any better. Press should be publishing more achievements on young peoples' behalf rather than the negatives. This is likely to reduce the bad name young people or "Youth" have for themselve. It is evident that some young people want attention and if they only way to get attention is to vandalise, etc then this is undoubtedly what they will do. If more attention is payed to positive aspects of their life then they are likely to take part in worthwhile activities.
I do not know what planet your living on. We Adults were youngsters too, in case you younger generation have forgotten that, IMHO, my generation did not go around wantonly damaging other peoples property, because we were bored, and had nothing to do. My generation was taught RESPECT, to our elders, and to the property of others.
Dont get me wrong, we were not angels, but if we did wrong in the eyes of our parents and the community, we did not throw a hissy fit, and blame the lack of facilities.
So I am sorry rfr10, your argument holds no water with me.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:11

Finally, a positive comment about young people.

wifie
10-Jan-09, 00:14
I'm not a rabbit thank you very much and I'm a mammal not an animal. Maybe that's what you believe life is about but it's certainly not mine.

Yes I quite agree that respect, experience and responsibility is required in order to run this world but if adults want to run this world properly, they need to fully account for the needs of young people as well and take the time to listen to them. As my signature used to say "Young people are the world's future" If our world leaders don't provide young people with a sense of responsibility then how are we ever possibly going to learn?

RFR where do you learn all this tosh? I find it gratifying that you wish to heal the world but feel you are slightly misguided in the way that all you can do is push the "young" ticket down our throats!
Respect and responsibility should come from your teaching within your family and at school! Young people are our future - obvious really! Do you honestly think that your cosy meeting place will make a difference to the scum doing the damage? Honestly now? It will probably be populated by youngsters such as yourself. You seem to forget that we are all different and cannot be gathered together like sheep in cosy wee corners to keep out of the wind and weather!

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:15
Today the majority of parents of 14, 15 and 16 year olds are in their 30's. I'd say 90% of the time they don't even know where their children are or who they are with or what they are up to.

Very true. I was going to mention young parents but decided not to incase I offended anyone :Razz

dook
10-Jan-09, 00:15

"I'm not an animal??" Maybe that's why the next generation should worry too. People thinking they are something other than what they are. Top of the tree. Sometimes you have to go back to basic animal behaviour to work out what has actually gone wrong in complex social systems. We've spent a long time getting to where we are but still resort to basic instinct when required. Don't be scared to class yourself lower than what you think you are. You'll never be dissappointed.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:20
I do not know what planet your living on. We Adults were youngsters too, in case you younger generation have forgotten that, IMHO, my generation did not go around wantonly damaging other peoples property, because we were bored, and had nothing to do. My generation was taught RESPECT, to our elders, and to the property of others.
Dont get me wrong, we were not angels, but if we did wrong in the eyes of our parents and the community, we did not throw a hissy fit, and blame the lack of facilities.
So I am sorry rfr10, your argument holds no water with me.

I'm sorry, I should have said teenagers :Razz But technically we are classed as "Young People" from the ages of 11-26. Exactly- taught respect and strict punishment I would believe if you did misbehave? It's a lack of this nowadays that's the problem. I'm not saying I'd blame it on lack of facilities because I don't get up to this sort of stuff so don't need to make an excuse but I a speaking for the voice of other young people as well and this is generally the response from people like this.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:23
"I'm not an animal??" Maybe that's why the next generation should worry too. People thinking they are something other than what they are. Top of the tree. Sometimes you have to go back to basic animal behaviour to work out what has actually gone wrong in complex social systems. We've spent a long time getting to where we are but still resort to basic instinct when required. Don't be scared to class yourself lower than what you think you are. You'll never be dissappointed.

Yes maybe biological factors state that we are mammals from an animal but as far as society goes, I'd rather not be referred to as an animal or some machine only build for breeding because that is certainly not my purpose in life.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:30
RFR where do you learn all this tosh? I find it gratifying that you wish to heal the world but feel you are slightly misguided in the way that all you can do is push the "young" ticket down our throats!
Respect and responsibility should come from your teaching within your family and at school! Young people are our future - obvious really! Do you honestly think that your cosy meeting place will make a difference to the scum doing the damage? Honestly now? It will probably be populated by youngsters such as yourself. You seem to forget that we are all different and cannot be gathered together like sheep in cosy wee corners to keep out of the wind and weather!

Call it what you want- tosh or even worse if you like but as a young person I will speak and defend my generation. If respect is supposed to be learnt then clearly you haven't gone through this learning process yet. Is it respectful to be telling me my comments are "tosh" ? By all means disagree with my statements but at least back your quote up with a decent explanation. I don't speak half as much "tosh" as some of the 'older' people on here.

dook
10-Jan-09, 00:32
I'm sorry, I should have said teenagers :Razz But technically we are classed as "Young People" from the ages of 11-26. Exactly- taught respect and strict punishment I would believe if you did misbehave? It's a lack of this nowadays that's the problem. I'm not saying I'd blame it on lack of facilities because I don't get up to this sort of stuff so don't need to make an excuse but I a speaking for the voice of other young people as well and this is generally the response from people like this.

rfr. As you obviously are the voice for the younger generation and you wish to make a difference here's an idea. Ask about and find out who is doing the damage, phone Wick Police Station and tell them the crack. The police will then take out these rotten apples.

The result-you gain mucho respecto, the remaining youth have a much better reputation and less chance of being lead astray. The older generation realise you are working toward the greater good and give you even more responsibility. Happy circle. Back o the net!!

golach
10-Jan-09, 00:34
I don't speak half as much "tosh" as some of the 'older' people on here.
Sadly that is your opinion only, [lol]

brokencross
10-Jan-09, 00:35
I feel there was a generation that was was a little less strict than those before and now it has gone too far and is coming back to bite us all on the bum! I agree wholeheartedly!

May stem from some misplaced modern thinking that the mum and dad could be the child's "friend" before being the parent. Surely very young children need loving parents who can nurture and guide them and not just be a "friend"

A home can still be loving, caring and happy even when discipline and boundaries are set and adhered to. With that the child soon knows right from wrong and what is acceptable behaviour in the home and in public places and also how to respect other people and their property.
These days, you just need to take a walk in the local supermarket where young children are freely allowed to treat the aisles, trollies, displays as a playground while their "friends" just look on saying "How many times do I have to tell you not to do that".............(at least 6 times at the last count!!!). Discipline does not mean punishment, it means control.

As the child continues to grow up without parental discipline they will then become a law unto themselves. Then in turn they have their own children and become a "friend" (but not a parent) and so the cycle goes on, with mums, dads and grannys, grandads seemingly getting younger and younger and the parenting regime getting more and more lax.

A bit of poetic generalisation there but you must admit you recognise the scenario.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:39
rfr. As you obviously are the voice for the younger generation and you wish to make a difference here's an idea. Ask about and find out who is doing the damage, phone Wick Police Station and tell them the crack. The police will then take out these rotten apples.

The result-you gain mucho respecto, the remaining youth have a much better reputation and less chance of being lead astray. The older generation realise you are working toward the greater good and give you even more responsibility. Happy circle. Back o the net!!

Now you're talking :Razz Unfortunately (without any sign of boasting) I am extremely busy with other things over the next few months under my two roles and already have other things at the top of the list. As I have nothing to do with the "Crime & Antisocial Behaviour" group of Highland Youth Voice, it is not completely up to me to do resolve these issues. Don't worry though, I am taking note of the response from some of the members on this thread and will feedback to this relevant group then they can do what they see necessary.

wifie
10-Jan-09, 00:39
Call it what you want- tosh or even worse if you like but as a young person I will speak and defend my generation. If respect is supposed to be learnt then clearly you haven't gone through this learning process yet. Is it respectful to be telling me my comments are "tosh" ? By all means disagree with my statements but at least back your quote up with a decent explanation. I don't speak half as much "tosh" as some of the 'older' people on here.

rfr if you read my post properly I did not call your comments tosh - just what you are obviously taught and therefore spouting. I was brought up to respect all people and property. I am also bringing up my children this way. Look at your last sentence, which I have highlighted in red, that is not in the least bit respectful and again attacks the older generation. Attack is not always the best line of defence. Learning diplomacy should be next on yer "to do" list.

brokencross
10-Jan-09, 00:40
If respect is supposed to be learnt then clearly you haven't gone through this learning process yet. I don't speak half as much "tosh" as some of the 'older' people on here.

You have resorted to insulting others so you have lost your argument and the higher ground...if I was you I would quit while you are losing!!!

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:40
Sadly that is your opinion only, [lol]

What do I have to do to make it official? :Razz

wifie
10-Jan-09, 00:41
Now you're talking :Razz Unfortunately (without any sign of boasting) I am extremely busy with other things over the next few months under my two roles and already have other things at the top of the list. As I have nothing to do with the "Crime & Antisocial Behaviour" group of Highland Youth Voice, it is not completely up to me to do resolve these issues. Don't worry though, I am taking note of the response from some of the members on this thread and will feedback to this relevant group then they can do what they see necessary.
Indeed now you are talking rfr - this is what is wrong - too many groups talking and not enough action!

brokencross
10-Jan-09, 00:44
Typical politicians....talk a lot...do nowt!

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:44
You have resorted to insulting others so you have lost your argument and the higher ground...if I was you I would quit while you are losing!!!

Quit? Only failures quit. Resorted to insulting others? Well.. it is difficult you know trying to maintain patience when you have about 1 young person to about 5 or 6 adults. If you'd like, I could gather 5 or 6 young people and you could try and see how it goes?

I haven't lost until I have given up and believe me, I don't give up.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:47
Typical politicians....talk a lot...do nowt!

Excuse me, I do a heck of a lot more than some people in this world. Talk a lot- yes I do. Do little? - no I most certainly do not. Would you like me to provide a list of all the things I volunteer my time to like I have had to do in a previous thread where the person that said I did little found a few people arguing with them then..

And by the way.. I don't aspire to be a politician.

dook
10-Jan-09, 00:49

rfr. Everyone is busy and unfortunately it won't get any easier. Half the problem is that everyone is busy and expects someone else to do it. You are in an ideal position to find out who the thugs are so try doing it. Lead by example and inspire. Others will follow suit and kickstart the whole revolution. To be brutally honest, no roles you do will ever match up to protecting the safety and property of the public (ageless term).

TBH
10-Jan-09, 00:50
I have lived in a few places in my life, ranging from Cities to Villages however I have never lived in a place where vandalism is so rife.

It appears that it is inbred into some of the natives to smash windows, scratch cars and break other peoples property. Some damage appears to be carried out as revenge for fall outs or disagreements between folk. Other damage is just for the hell of it by bored youths who are either ignored by their parents or have not been given or offered anything to stimulate them. There is also the drunken fool who thinks it is Big to damage something on his way home.

Just this week cars were ran over by a bunch of young ones causing damage to them.

I don't know if people are scared of the people who do this or genuinely do not see the damage happening. However it comes a time for the people of Wick to take pride in their town and "shop" these mindless idiots. I have reported incidents to police before in the hope that it makes a difference. What the Police need are more people who are willing to do this.

If this happened Wick would be a nicer place to live and also the insurance premiums paid on cars and properties would be cheaper. Zero tolerance I say.I doubt there is any greater prevalence of vandalism in Wick than there is in any Town or City in Scotland, in fact, Wickers are pretty much sheltered from some of the harsher crimes commited in other Towns and Cities throughout Scotland although Wick in general and Caithness in particular is unfortunately catching up in that respect.

brokencross
10-Jan-09, 00:50
Quit? Only failures quit. Resorted to insulting others? Well.. it is difficult you know trying to maintain patience when you have about 1 young person to about 5 or 6 adults. If you'd like, I could gather 5 or 6 young people and you could try and see how it goes?

I haven't lost until I have given up and believe me, I don't give up.

I didn't mean quit altogether just ease back on this thread. No-one is out and out against you. If you can rise above the critics without resorting to insults, and state your case clearly you will gain more support.

wifie
10-Jan-09, 00:52
Excuse me, I do a heck of a lot more than some people in this world. Talk a lot- yes I do. Do little? - no I most certainly do not. Would you like me to provide a list of all the things I volunteer my time to like I have had to do in a previous thread where the person that said I did little found a few people arguing with them then..

And by the way.. I don't aspire to be a politician.

Well thank goodness for the last sentence! :Razz
rfr you do not have to list your good deeds to us neither do you have to keep reminding us how young you are so that anyone over 26 (is that when you are no longer a young person?) is made to feel like they are "picking on 'e bairn"! You have an opinion so state it - that is what most folk on here do - they do not qualify practically every statement with their age and do gooding abilities!

wifie
10-Jan-09, 00:53
I didn't mean quit altogether just ease back on this thread. No-one is out and out against you. If you can rise above the critics without resorting to insults, and state your case clearly you will gain more support.
Well said brokencross! Probably what I have been trying to say but makin a pig's ear of it! :)

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:53
rfr. Everyone is busy and unfortunately it won't get any easier. Half the problem is that everyone is busy and expects someone else to do it. You are in an ideal position to find out who the thugs are so try doing it. Lead by example and inspire. Others will follow suit and kickstart the whole revolution. To be brutally honest, no roles you do will ever match up to protecting the safety and property of the public (ageless term).

Honestly, I would if I could but there are other things currently at the top of the list at the moment and I've been known to take too much on at once so if I do look into this, it is likely to be once I have been to and finished university.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 00:59

Well I do apologise for the insult but I don't appreciate anyone telling me I am speaking tosh. I did plan on stating one comment and very few more but as always, when I say something, it seems to generate attention and then everything always ends up in some sort of argument rather than a debate. My respect will go to those who read my comment, maybe briefly comment on it without anything implying "You're wrong". All that is required for people to say is- "I disagree with you here. My opinions are....." then we will all be happy.

dook
10-Jan-09, 00:59
Honestly, I would if I could but there are other things currently at the top of the list at the moment and I've been known to take too much on at once so if I do look into this, it is likely to be once I have been to and finished university.

Bud. Not suggestin a thesis on it. Just get you and your mates to name names. Easy.

wifie
10-Jan-09, 01:02
I doubt there is any greater prevalence of vandalism in Wick than there is in any Town or City in Scotland, in fact, Wickers are pretty much sheltered from some of the harsher crimes commited in other Towns and Cities throughout Scotland although Wick in general and Caithness in particular is unfortunately catching up in that respect.

Funny this is a point I thought of making too but did not want to belittle the upset of fellow Caithnesians! Do you think things like this spread more quickly due to greater press coverage these days? Or are huge chunks of society just becoming sheep and the possible harsher and maybe, once upon a time, more old fashioned highland ideas being ditched for the latest fad to be found on tv or in a paper or magazine?

TBH
10-Jan-09, 01:03

And by the way.. I don't aspire to be a politician.No disrespect to you rfr10 but some people get on quietly with their voluntary work.
They don't advertise what they do, they don't need to qualify it and they don't look for praise for something they do out of genuine kindness so Why do you feel the need to defend yourself on here?
Your voluntary work will speak for itself through your actions and what people think then say about you on here should be of little consequence but you seem to strike the bait when you should take a step back and take a think to yourself.

TBH
10-Jan-09, 01:05
Funny this is a point I thought of making too but did not want to belittle the upset of fellow Caithnesians! Do you think things like this spread more quickly due to greater press coverage these days? Or are huge chunks of society just becoming sheep and the possible harsher and maybe, once upon a time, more old fashioned highland ideas being ditched for the latest fad to be found on tv or in a paper or magazine?No, I just think this thread is a hatchet job.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 01:05
Bud. Not suggestin a thesis on it. Just get you and your mates to name names. Easy.

How will we do that though? We can't really accuse people of certain things without actually providing relevant evidence which is very difficult to do.

wifie
10-Jan-09, 01:07
No, I just think this thread is a hatchet job.
Sorry don't understand you!

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 01:12
No disrespect to you rfr10 but some people get on quietly with their voluntary work.
They don't advertise what they do, they don't need to qualify it and they don't look for praise for something they do out of genuine kindness so Why do you feel the need to defend yourself on here?
Your voluntary work will speak for itself through your actions and what people think then say about you on here should be of little consequence but you seem to strike the bait when you should take a step back and take a think to yourself.

I wasn't looking for any praise at all. I am defending myself this time after being told I am like a politician and do little/ nothing. I feel very strongly when someone says this to me. Why is it always me who has to take the step back? Just because I'm the younger person amongst it all- most the people on this thread should take a step back, it is not only me. There are certain people who have not refered to my initial post or any of the others at all so if you want me to shut up then others should do the same. I am always the one being told on here that I'm wrong, I should take the step back and shut up and basically I should keep my opinions to myself.

TBH
10-Jan-09, 01:13
Sorry don't understand you!I am sure you are quite familiar with the term, "Hatchet Job".
Wick is a great little Town to bring up a family, low crime rate, good schooling, fairly safe to walk home at night without getting mugged or worse.
Then we have this thread.

TBH
10-Jan-09, 01:20
I wasn't looking for any praise at all. I am defending myself this time after being told I am like a politician and do little/ nothing. I feel very strongly when someone says this to me. Why is it always me who has to take the step back? Just because I'm the younger person amongst it all- most the people on this thread should take a step back, it is not only me. There are certain people who have not refered to my initial post or any of the others at all so if you want me to shut up then others should do the same. I am always the one being told on here that I'm wrong, I should take the step back and shut up and basically I should keep my opinions to myself.My apologies, I shouldn't have said, "Looking for praise".
What I meant is that you have nothing to prove to anyone, you know what you contribute to your community, others know what you contribute.
Yourself and those that are aware of your endeavours are the only people that matter. Rising to the bait presented by some faceless people on an internet forum is pointless, ignore it. You are young, you will learn.

ShelleyCowie
10-Jan-09, 01:23
Here comes Shelley! :lol:

Im 20, when i was in my teens i can say i never vandalised things! Yes i would go down the street with my friends on a Friday/Saturday night but it was harmless banter!

Not all teens are vandals! what about the people still doing this in their 20's-30's!

And yes there is a lack of things to do up here to stimulate teens! Nowhere is open at nights for them to go apart from pubs which anyone under 18 cant go in!! I hated it! Luckily i had hobbies to keep me going but there was still nothing to do at the weekends!

Consider us lucky! I would not like to live in any of the places that you hear of kidnapping, severe crime, murder etc etc! To them this place is heaven i suppose!

Phew....had my say! Good midnight say there!!! :)

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 01:25
My apologies, I shouldn't have said, "Looking for praise".
What I meant is that you have nothing to prove to anyone, you know what you contribute to your community, others know what you contribute.
Yourself and those that are aware of your endeavours are the only people that matter. Rising to the bait presented by some faceless people on an internet forum is pointless, ignore it. You are young, you will learn.

The forum is not pointless. You learn about other peoples thoughts on matters. And to those who told me that I should state my opinion and leave it- looking back at my initial post, I have just realised I had said nothing really which should have attracted such negative response so maybe I would shut up if others didn't post "taunting" comments.

TBH
10-Jan-09, 01:32
The forum is not pointless. You learn about other peoples thoughts on matters. And to those who told me that I should state my opinion and leave it- looking back at my initial post, I have just realised I had said nothing really which should have attracted such negative response so maybe I would shut up if others didn't post "taunting" comments.Who said the forum is pointless, definitley not me but You are apparently well educated and cannot understand what I have written yet Should I explain it to you or can you work it out for yourself?

sweetpea
10-Jan-09, 01:37
If there's mindless vandalism in Wick then the people of Wick should unite and get rid of it. Instead of arguing go and sort them out.
rfr10 your enthusiasm and belief is wasted here... not wanting to be negative or anything.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 01:41
Who said the forum is pointless, definitley not me but You are apparently well educated and cannot understand what I have written yet Should I explain it to you or can you work it out for yourself?

Sorry misread your message after reading it quickly. I may be rising to the bait but then, aren't we all? It seems to start like this- I aggrivate someone, they aggrivate me and so on for a while until for some reason it is me who has to retreat. Why can't someone else for a change? Better still, not even refer to my post in the first place. I would be quite happy to end this debate/argument/discussion, whatever it is many times but not until it ends on a more positive note. It's more than just a random internet forum, it's a form of members of the community I live in. I am happy to end this when everyone else is and when people stop quoting me and complaing about something I have said.

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 01:44
If there's mindless vandalism in Wick then the people of Wick should unite and get rid of it. Instead of arguing go and sort them out.
rfr10 your enthusiasm and belief is wasted here... not wanting to be negative or anything.

True but I have to admit that once it's started it's difficult to give up :Razz Well for me anyway. I didn't mean to start arguments again like I seem to be famous for on here. I meant to state my comment on the common excuses that young people will give for vandalism etc and leave it at that without expecting a whole army of people quoting and disagreeing.

ShelleyCowie
10-Jan-09, 01:50
Not that i am now wanting an argument....but (there is always a but) people have different opinions! I agree with some of yours, some of theirs! Alot of people are going to disagree (Wouldn't just say complain) with other peoples comments...and i am sure you have also disagreed with some other peoples comments!

We have views. We share them here. We get a very high blood pressure....our heads burst! :lol:

No but back to a serious note (rare from me) but i think we should let other people share opinions...and if somebody disagrees...then thats ok! Honestly it is! ;)

sweetpea
10-Jan-09, 01:54
True but I have to admit that once it's started it's difficult to give up :Razz Well for me anyway. I didn't mean to start arguments again like I seem to be famous for on here. I meant to state my comment on the common excuses that young people will give for vandalism etc and leave it at that without expecting a whole army of people quoting and disagreeing.

I don't think you have done anything wrong. Your intentions are good. Your expressing an opinion what's wrong with that? Stick up for what you believe in...:)

wifie
10-Jan-09, 01:56

OK you wanted a reply to yer first post - here it is.
Firstly I am glad they ran off - I worry for you confronting idiots rfr - that is not patronising I just want you and others who may be tempted to stay safe.
Yep on a deeply psychological level their vandalism is a cry for attention but only because they were never nurtured and taught right from wrong. There are posters on here who probably do sound like dinosaurs to you - that is the circle of life - young people will always come thru and think that they have the answer and will often be called whippersnappers by the next or even two generations up.
What I am trying to tell you rfr is that you do have an opinion, you are entitled to it and you are brave enough to put it forward. JUST STOP TELLIN US HOW BLOOMIN YOUNG YOU ARE! (Psst some of us may be jealous did you ever think of that? ;) No me cos I am a very youthful wifie!)

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 01:59
Not that i am now wanting an argument....but (there is always a but) people have different opinions! I agree with some of yours, some of theirs! Alot of people are going to disagree (Wouldn't just say complain) with other peoples comments...and i am sure you have also disagreed with some other peoples comments!

We have views. We share them here. We get a very high blood pressure....our heads burst!

No but back to a serious note (rare from me) but i think we should let other people share opinions...and if somebody disagrees...then thats ok! Honestly it is! ;)

I don't think you have done anything wrong. Your intentions are good. Your expressing an opinion what's wrong with that? Stick up for what you believe in...:)

Now you two sound easy to get on with :Razz

ShelleyCowie
10-Jan-09, 02:02
What I am trying to tell you rfr is that you do have an opinion, you are entitled to it and you are brave enough to put it forward. JUST STOP TELLIN US HOW BLOOMIN YOUNG YOU ARE! (Psst some of us may be jealous did you ever think of that? ;) No me cos I am a very youthful wifie!)

LOL! I feel 90...im jealous o him and am what most would say youthful!

And my partner calls me a whippersnapper...he is only 7 years older! Lol!

celtic 302
10-Jan-09, 02:03
Am I the only one sickened by this mutual "love-in"?

ShelleyCowie
10-Jan-09, 02:04

And we all love clover...its the way that its churned

Change that to.....

And we all love Shelley...its the things that she says!

Sorry am not full o myself but am extremelly hyperactive! Dont drink lots of sugary drinks at this time o the morning and 3 cups o coffee! :eek:

rfr10
10-Jan-09, 02:05
OK you wanted a reply to yer first post - here it is.
Firstly I am glad they ran off - I worry for you confronting idiots rfr - that is not patronising I just want you and others who may be tempted to stay safe.
Yep on a deeply psychological level their vandalism is a cry for attention but only because they were never nurtured and taught right from wrong. There are posters on here who probably do sound like dinosaurs to you - that is the circle of life - young people will always come thru and think that they have the answer and will often be called whippersnappers by the next or even two generations up.
What I am trying to tell you rfr is that you do have an opinion, you are entitled to it and you are brave enough to put it forward. JUST STOP TELLIN US HOW BLOOMIN YOUNG YOU ARE! (Psst some of us may be jealous did you ever think of that? No me cos I am a very youthful wifie!)

Now if everyone had said something like this at the beginning, everything would be just dandy. :Razz

I wouldn't actually have confronted them, just though I'd give them a fright as they looked like they were 2nd/ 3rd year age :Razz

Sorry, I don't mean that everyone else on here is old. I use the term "Young people" when referring to people between the ages of 11 & 26 as that's the age Young Scot class as youth. I only usually refer to people in these categories-

Baby-Toddler-Child-Teenager-Adult

That's it. I don't believe people should be given the name "pensioner" I still class them as an adult. Compared to tortoises, we are all young ;)

sweetpea
10-Jan-09, 02:06

Not really just stating facts.

I'm all for naming and shaming just like the rest!

wifie
10-Jan-09, 02:07
"Compared to tortoises, we are all young"

[lol]

butterfly
10-Jan-09, 02:25
its not always the youth who do damage,not long ago about 30 cars parked outside owners own front doors was wrecked by a woman who hit every one with her feet and scratched by her house keys,her excuse,sorry sheriff i was blind drunk.this woman was in her 40s.and what about the guy in his 50s who sold drink and cigerates to teenagers outside on the streets just so he could line his pockets.the statement about "having nothing to do"is also no excuse. the people who had their loved ones headstones in a cemetary vandalised,well that statement will not be a comfort for them.one more thing,how many cameras do we have now in wick and how many are manned, none.a friend of mine was assaulted by 3 drunken neds right in front of one of these cameras but nothing could be done because they were not manned.what is the point of going to the expense of putting up cameras if they cant use them.

Fran
10-Jan-09, 02:25

I totally agree with Kevin. where my mother lives you cant even walk the streets in safety in daytime, and you have to lock all windows and doors whilst you are IN the house, not like wick. We are lucky compared to a lot of places.

Salad Fingers
10-Jan-09, 09:10
I am sure you are quite familiar with the term, "Hatchet Job".
Wick is a great little Town to bring up a family, low crime rate, good schooling, fairly safe to walk home at night without getting mugged or worse.
Then we have this thread.

It so happens that I am currently doing an open university course and I am currently doing a thesis on social behaviour. In doing this written work I have looked at varying resources available to me. One of these resources was the Northern Constabulary annual report. This made some interesting and shocing reading about Caithness as a whole. The percentage of vandalsims were extremely high. In fact higher than towns of similar size in the Police area that Northern covers.

It was interesting reading about actually what happens in Wick or Caithness in this case. It may not be the sleepy idylic hollow that you may think.

I do believe though that most people are law abiding and most young ones are brought up to know right for wrong. This is all let down by a small group of people who want to cause the damage/crime. The locals will know who they are and as I said in my first post, they should "shop" them for the sake of the good reputation of the town.

I don't want to get into anything political about this, I just don't want my property or my friends or neighbours property to be damaged. Lets fight back.

brokencross
10-Jan-09, 09:53
Well rfr10, you have certainly stimulated a debate on a serious social problem.

I would suggest, now it is morning, and things have cooled down that you read all the posts, reflect on all that has been said and formulate a cunning plan. As many others have said it is a complex problem with no overnight solution.

You will note that there is common ground in many of the posts.

It has been established that wanton vandalism is not only carried out in Wick.
It has been established that the problem is not age specific.
There is probably a link to boredom, drink, lack of parental control.
There is a need for an immediate "stand" against the perpetrators, but this would only stop it temporarily.
There is a long term need to tackle the boredom, drink, parental control aspect.

I do not have the solution. Sorry to sound like an old fogey but as I said in one of my earlier posts I strongly believe a good start is with strong discipline, good behaviour, respect for property and others and self respect all emanating from a loving, caring, nurturing family life from Day 1 of their life.

Moby
10-Jan-09, 12:23

90% :eek:
Bit of a sweeping statement here Venture!! This may be the case for a small minority but certainly not 90%

Venture
10-Jan-09, 13:29
90% :eek:
Bit of a sweeping statement here Venture!! This may be the case for a small minority but certainly not 90%

I said 90% of the time not 90% of parents.

bonami
10-Jan-09, 22:12
I sometimes wonder if the CTV cameras in Pultney are active there seems to be little difference in the crime rate since they appeared. As for young people and vandalism it certainly seems to be something to do with the times we live in. Underage drinking is blamed but when I was a teenager 30 odd years ago we were as keen as they are today on a can or two if we got our hands on it. But we never drempt of breaking peoples windows or damageing cars or any thing else. Not maybe scared of the law but more of our parents if they ever found out. Still these days are gone and personally I think for the worse a hot a..se never hurt me and would do a lot of good to bairns today. Mind you there are them who say they are just young people looking for attention maybe they are but when they get it it is far too soft.[evil]

catran
10-Jan-09, 22:13
Finally, a positive comment about young people.
Surely Wick is one of the safer towns in the UK ???? There was always a certain element of vandalism but nought serious so therefore is it the native Wickers that are now running amok and causing such havoc making the Northern constabularly figures look horrendous. Its a sad reflection on Wick and Caithness as a whole if this is in fact correct.
[disgust]

A9RUNNER
10-Jan-09, 22:43
I think most kids/teenagers/youngsters whatever tag you wish to place on them are pretty good bunch. I find most polite & helpfull even if they are wearing a hoody top. They are not all vandals and thugs. However I have no sympathy for folk who say there is nothing to do up here. There are varios organised clubs and activites for all ages of kids and older on every night of the week if you are able to get up off of your arse and look. We also have loads of fresh air and countryside about hand for walking cycling fishing surfing kayaking camping going to the beach etc. And before I get the oh but the weather is crap. There is no such thing as bad weather just inapropriate clothing. And yes meeting your mates down the street for a bit of banter and craic is something to do, just not every night!! Why not learn a musical instrument get your mates together to play some tunes. Nobody should be bored. My mate moved away to the big city when he was 16 to work but where did he come to live when he was in his 20s, Back to Caithness because the city life wasnt all it cracked up to be. At least it is safe to walk down the town on an evening in caithness and has plenty activities availlible

Peer pressure is also a big part of some kids problem if all your mates a necking strong cider you will feel the odd one out not doing it so you join in to fit in. If they then all go around wrecking things chances are you will join in too. Its probably the hardest thing to stop doing if all your mates are doing it. Maybe this is where some kids need new friends with more sociably acceptable hobbies

butterfly
10-Jan-09, 23:06
have to agree with bonami,i was more afraid of my parents than the police.if i spoke out of turn,showed disrespect to another person or lifted my hand then they would wipe the walls with me![lol]my parents were loving folks and i often got a skelp for stepping out of line and it never did me any harm.nowadays you cant lift your hand to your kids without someone calling it abuse and calling in the welfare.changed days indeed and not always for the better.

catran
10-Jan-09, 23:15
I think most kids/teenagers/youngsters whatever tag you wish to place on them are pretty good bunch. I find most polite & helpfull even if they are wearing a hoody top. They are not all vandals and thugs. However I have no sympathy for folk who say there is nothing to do up here. There are varios organised clubs and activites for all ages of kids and older on every night of the week if you are able to get up off of your arse and look. We also have loads of fresh air and countryside about hand for walking cycling fishing surfing kayaking camping going to the beach etc. And before I get the oh but the weather is crap. There is no such thing as bad weather just inapropriate clothing. And yes meeting your mates down the street for a bit of banter and craic is something to do, just not every night!! Why not learn a musical instrument get your mates together to play some tunes. Nobody should be bored. My mate moved away to the big city when he was 16 to work but where did he come to live when he was in his 20s, Back to Caithness because the city life wasnt all it cracked up to be. At least it is safe to walk down the town on an evening in caithness and has plenty activities availlible

Peer pressure is also a big part of some kids problem if all your mates a necking strong cider you will feel the odd one out not doing it so you join in to fit in. If they then all go around wrecking things chances are you will join in too. Its probably the hardest thing to stop doing if all your mates are doing it. Maybe this is where some kids need new friends with more sociably acceptable hobbies

Well said road runner, I totally agree with you, you have got it in one, why are all the people moving in hordes to this side of the Ord?????

dook
11-Jan-09, 00:08
How will we do that though? We can't really accuse people of certain things without actually providing relevant evidence which is very difficult to do.

Phone in. Say. I heard davy dave from Daveton broke daves window. Starter for 10. Let the Pealers worry about evidence

A9RUNNER
11-Jan-09, 00:10
That davy dave is a right trouble maker, I am pretty sure he is guilty.

rfr10
11-Jan-09, 00:13
Phone in. Say. I heard davy dave from Daveton broke daves window. Starter for 10. Let the Pealers worry about evidence

Is your name Dave by any chance? :lol: The problem is actually picking up on the vandalism. It's very difficult to actually catch people in action unless driving about to all hours of the morning and it's very rare to actually hear specific names. I mean, I could easily guess certain people but I wouldn't really know for certain. As the above person stated, the CCTV would make this much easier if it is actually used. Is it volunteers who monitor these cameras or are there specified police officers to do this?

dook
11-Jan-09, 00:14
That davy dave is a right trouble maker, I am pretty sure he is guilty.

Heard that he also goes by the name of David. Sneaky these criminals!!

dook
11-Jan-09, 00:16
Is your name Dave by any chance? :lol: The problem is actually picking up on the vandalism. It's very difficult to actually catch people in action unless driving about to all hours of the morning and it's very rare to actually hear specific names. I mean, I could easily guess certain people but I wouldn't really know for certain. As the above person stated, the CCTV would make this much easier if it is actually used. Is it volunteers who monitor these cameras or are there specified police officers to do this?

I dream of the day I can call myself Dave. Twas my mothers name

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 00:19
I dream of the day I can call myself Dave. Twas my mothers name

weird!! my mum was called Davina, my sister was called Davinda, I was called Bob

dook
11-Jan-09, 00:22
weird!! my mum was called Davina, my sister was called Davinda, I was called Bob

Wow. That was my dad's name and he used to live next door to a family of Davinas. What a strange coincidence. Hmmmmmm.....

ShelleyCowie
11-Jan-09, 00:40
I am awfully confused! :eek:

But i know people called Dave! My uncle called David, and my nephews middle name david! :lol:

dook
11-Jan-09, 00:44
I am awfully confused! :eek:

But i know people called Dave! My uncle called David, and my nephews middle name david! :lol:

Quickly. Phone in and "out" these criminal masterminds! It's your duty as a responsible member of the public.

ShelleyCowie
11-Jan-09, 01:02
Quickly. Phone in and "out" these criminal masterminds! It's your duty as a responsible member of the public.

But ma nephew is only 4.....he cana be a criminal mastermind....or can he! :lol:

dook
11-Jan-09, 01:09
But ma nephew is only 4.....he cana be a criminal mastermind....or can he! :lol:

Never dismiss the young. When my mum was pregnant with me she had to book into rehab due to my addiction problems........

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 01:15
Never dismiss the young. When my mum was pregnant with me she had to book into rehab due to my addiction problems........

That's nothing.. when I was a sperm I damaged a wall.

TBH
11-Jan-09, 03:26
It so happens that I am currently doing an open university course and I am currently doing a thesis on social behaviour. In doing this written work I have looked at varying resources available to me. One of these resources was the Northern Constabulary annual report. This made some interesting and shocing reading about Caithness as a whole. The percentage of vandalsims were extremely high. In fact higher than towns of similar size in the Police area that Northern covers.

It was interesting reading about actually what happens in Wick or Caithness in this case. It may not be the sleepy idylic hollow that you may think.

I do believe though that most people are law abiding and most young ones are brought up to know right for wrong. This is all let down by a small group of people who want to cause the damage/crime. The locals will know who they are and as I said in my first post, they should "shop" them for the sake of the good reputation of the town.

I don't want to get into anything political about this, I just don't want my property or my friends or neighbours property to be damaged. Lets fight back.
That wasn't what you inferred in your original post so why change tack now?

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 09:09
That wasn't what you inferred in your original post so why change tack now?

Was it not TBH? mmmm. I don't think there has been any change of tack. It would appear maybe your tack isn't the sharpest.

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 11:12
I think what most people need to do is get the facts before blaming "the kids". Its not always "kids" its quite often young Adults, older adults etc.look at most of the Windows damaged etc and you will probably find it was done by an "Adult" thats had a disagreement with someone else.
Yes some kids get up to no good but dont tar ALL the kids with the same brush,after all if the parents did their jobs then maybe the kids wouldnt end up the way they are?[evil]

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 12:01
Was it not TBH? mmmm. I don't think there has been any change of tack. It would appear maybe your tack isn't the sharpest.
Better watch, a sharp tack has a nasty habit of Hurting!!!![lol]

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 13:51
Wanton Damage in Wick?...is Week noh damaged enough wi-oot Wanton more? ;)

Venture
11-Jan-09, 14:11
No Gizmo it's to do with the amount of Chinese Takeaways we have.[lol]

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 14:17
No Gizmo it's to do with the amount of Chinese Takeaways we have.[lol]

Haha...is there a Takeaway war going on that we have not heard about, did the owner of a rival takeaway sneak into another and smash them all?....Wonton vandalism in Wick indeed :lol:

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 15:55
Haha...is there a Takeaway war going on that we have not heard about, did the owner of a rival takeaway sneak into another and smash them all?....Wonton vandalism in Wick indeed :lol:
What alot of Noodles your spouting.You are very Dim Sun!!![lol]

TBH
11-Jan-09, 23:17
Was it not TBH? mmmm. I don't think there has been any change of tack. It would appear maybe your tack isn't the sharpest.The change of tack was your use of anecdotal evidence in your first post then, when challenged, stating that you are doing an open university thesis on social behavour and that Northern constabulary had provided you with "evidence", that "The percentage of vandalism in Wick is extremely high, In fact higher than towns of similar size in the Police area that Northern covers". I suggest that you sharpen your own tack, toot sweet.

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 23:21
The change of tack was your use of anecdotal evidence in your first post then, when challenged, stating that you are doing an open university thesis on social behavour and that Northern constabulary had provided you with "evidence", that "The percentage of vandalism in Wick is extremely high, In fact higher than towns of similar size in the Police area that Northern covers". I suggest that you sharpen your own tack, toot sweet.

sorry your point caller is?? still don't get you. I have first hand experience of vandalism happening to my neighbours and to me. I am also studying social behaviour. So I am still finding it hard to get where you are coming from. I think all you want to do is wind up people. I did not find what happened to me very amusing, hence I submitted this thread. I take it by your stance you have not been a victim of such a cowardly crime?

TBH
11-Jan-09, 23:33
sorry your point caller is?? still don't get you. I have first hand experience of vandalism happening to my neighbours and to me. I am also studying social behaviour. So I am still finding it hard to get where you are coming from. I think all you want to do is wind up people. I did not find what happened to me very amusing, hence I submitted this thread. I take it by your stance you have not been a victim of such a cowardly crime?Make up your mind. Is it experience you have gained through living in various Towns, Villages and cities, which you implied from the first post or, is it because you are doing a thesis on social behaviour and the statistics you claim to have gleaned from Northern constabulary back you up. Maybe it is a mixture of the two.

Salad Fingers
11-Jan-09, 23:41
Make up your mind. Is it experience you have gained through living in various Towns, Villages and cities, which you implied from the first post or, is it because you are doing a thesis on social behaviour and the statistics you claim to have gleaned from Northern constabulary back you up. Maybe it is a mixture of the two.

Humbly sorry. I did not realise that when I submitted a thread I had to give my life story, experiences and what I do in my spare time in full. I thought i would submit a thread as a talking point because it is an issue in Wick and wondered about other peoples experiences.
I will know for the next thread which I was planning posting called "Do you like your egg runny or hard boiled?" . I will make sure I will give a potted history of my egg eating habits. Where I have bought eggs from and books and articles I have read on the humble egg. Therefore you will be left without any doubt about my position on eggs and the sources of which I have used and the experience of which I have gained.

On that thread, do you like yours runny or hard-boiled TBH?

ShelleyCowie
12-Jan-09, 00:42
Humbly sorry. I did not realise that when I submitted a thread I had to give my life story, experiences and what I do in my spare time in full. I thought i would submit a thread as a talking point because it is an issue in Wick and wondered about other peoples experiences.
I will know for the next thread which I was planning posting called "Do you like your egg runny or hard boiled?" . I will make sure I will give a potted history of my egg eating habits. Where I have bought eggs from and books and articles I have read on the humble egg. Therefore you will be left without any doubt about my position on eggs and the sources of which I have used and the experience of which I have gained.

On that thread, do you like yours runny or hard-boiled TBH?

Mmmmmm runny! Im having eggs tomorrow now! With soldiers! EEK!

Took me 15 mins to catch up on this thread! :lol:

I said before yes there is a lack of things to do for kids but today my mind wandered away and this is a list of things i thought of to do!:-

Swimming, cycling, skateboarding, rollerblading, youth clubs, night judo/karate classes, gymnastics, Army/Sea/Air Cadets, football, horse riding, majourets (not sure if this is still on the go)!

See there is some examples! There is things to do so i take back what i said! Im a taker backer! :lol:

But how active are kids now anyways? :confused

TBH
12-Jan-09, 02:40

On that thread, do you like yours runny or hard-boiled TBH?When you are implying that for vandalism, Wick is the worst Town that you have lived in then yes, it pays to have the evidence available from the first post to support your claims otherwise those claims lose all credibility.
BTW, I like my eggs runny with a sprinkling of pepper and salt and toast soldiers for the dipping of. .

Metalattakk
12-Jan-09, 02:47
I said before yes there is a lack of things to do for kids but today my mind wandered away and this is a list of things i thought of to do!

There are plenty of things for kids to do, but they need to be shown and taught how to find things to amuse themselves, by their parents.

As a small child, my parents instilled in me a keen interest in nature by taking me on excursions to various places (the shoreline near Mey to see the seals basking on the rocks stands out in my memory) and my interest in football was inspired by my monthly visit to the Harmsworth as a guest of my Grandfather. (Willie Wydmuch and Pattie Miller still remain legendary heroes to me!)

As I got older, if I wasn't playing football I was off exploring, looking to see what I could find - simply because my parents showed me that if you took the time to look for things, you'll never know what you might find. This mantra stays with you for life.

So, as usual, I blame the parents. Teach your children about life. Teach them that there is a world out there, and that it's fascinating. Teach them how to do stuff, how to find stuff, and how to appreciate stuff.

Lazy parenting breeds bored children.

Edit: I like my eggs hard boiled and scoffed 50 at a time.

Gizmo
12-Jan-09, 10:20
There are plenty of things for kids to do, but they need to be shown and taught how to find things to amuse themselves, by their parents.

As a small child, my parents instilled in me a keen interest in nature by taking me on excursions to various places (the shoreline near Mey to see the seals basking on the rocks stands out in my memory) and my interest in football was inspired by my monthly visit to the Harmsworth as a guest of my Grandfather. (Willie Wydmuch and Pattie Miller still remain legendary heroes to me!)

As I got older, if I wasn't playing football I was off exploring, looking to see what I could find - simply because my parents showed me that if you took the time to look for things, you'll never know what you might find. This mantra stays with you for life.

So, as usual, I blame the parents. Teach your children about life. Teach them that there is a world out there, and that it's fascinating. Teach them how to do stuff, how to find stuff, and how to appreciate stuff.

Lazy parenting breeds bored children.

One the other side of the coin, i have have, since he was very young, tried to get my son interested in various activities, Badminton, Tennis, Skateboarding, Bmx Bikes, Mountain Biking, Learing An Instrument, he showed an initial interest in all those, but that interest lasted for the attention span of your average flea, i do not follow Football at all so he's never been exposed to it in our house, but when he was about 8 he wanted to join the East End Boys Football Club, so we got him the kit and took him along, he lasted 3 sessions before losing interest.

The only thing i have managed to get him interested in over a sustained period is Video Games, Computers, Movies and Music, i suppose i shouldn't really complain though, he's 16 and doesn't hang around the street, plus he's against drinking and smoking, when he's not at school he's either in his room or at Geek Club on a Thursday night, well that's what i call it, it's a club for people who play Warhammer 40K, i'm not sure what it's all about cos' the first rule of Geek Club is that you don't talk about Geek Club :lol:

I have tried and tried and tried to get him interested in some sort of physical activity but he's just not interested, i have tried to explain the health implications of having no physical exercise other than walking to school each day but it falls on deaf ears, he's quite a bit overweight now as well, he gets a good healthy diet from me as far as his meals go, but then he sits in his room packing himself full of all the crap that teenagers do, and it's not doing him any good at all.

So yes, there plenty of things for teenagers to do, but getting them interested in them is a whole different story.

Penelope Pitstop
12-Jan-09, 10:29
:Razz

R E S P E C T ...... that's what is lacking not a lack of things to do:(

golach
12-Jan-09, 10:48
R E S P E C T ...... that's what is lacking not a lack of things to do:(
Hear Hear, and knowing their place in the pecking order of life, if they want rights and privileges, they have to earn them.

ShelleyCowie
12-Jan-09, 13:57
[quote=Metalattakk;482181]

Edit: I like my eggs hard boiled and scoffed 50 at a time. [quote]

i had eggs today because of it being mentioned! Eggs and soldiers! Attention!!! LOL!

AfternoonDelight
12-Jan-09, 14:19
..................................:confused

Sapphire2803
12-Jan-09, 14:22
I was going to comment, but now I'm off to prepare soft boiled eggs and soldiers...