PDA

View Full Version : My Cockerel

Dorrie
09-Jan-09, 19:25
Hi all, I (well not me personally but my hens) hatched this cockerel this year. It was a batch of eggs I had been given and this was the only one that hatched. He is the strangest looking creature. I know the people who gave me the eggs have silkies and I am wondering if he is a silky cross. He has the weirdest comb ever!
Any other ideas about what he is crossed with?
http://forum.caithness.org/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=208

Julia
09-Jan-09, 19:55
That looks just like a squashed raspberry on his head? He certainly is a handsome chap, what is his name?

teenybash
09-Jan-09, 19:59
He probably is a cross silky...he reminds me of a Tappit rooster I had many years ago but, I don't know too much about them.....he is a handsome fellow.:)

Dorrie
10-Jan-09, 00:13
He doesn't have a name yet. All suggestions would be considered though :D

He is really funny, very light weight for his size and jumps on the big hens who just squawk and run away with him still hanging on! lol He is getting tamer as he gets older and he is more inquisitive of both me and my camera now which is fine. He poses beautifully too and when I get to grips better with my camera there will be better shots of him.

This is one of him shaking with all his neck feathers flying out all over:
http://forum.caithness.org/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=211

I have never heard of a Tappit Rooster before, I will ask Mr Google if he knows about it. Thanks for the name though. :)

Dorrie
10-Jan-09, 00:17
I found a "Tappit Hen" definition and that makes sense as a Tappit Hen is a hen with a crest or topknot!

Maybe I should just call him "Tappit" What do you think?

wifie
10-Jan-09, 00:31
Tappit sounds cool - I was gonna suggest Cranachan in view of Julia's squashed raspberry description!

Dorrie
10-Jan-09, 02:23
:lol: I love Cranachan too!

Any other ideas?

The two so far are Tappit or Cranachan

Fran
10-Jan-09, 03:00
I think raspberry is very apt too.He is so lovely.

teenybash
10-Jan-09, 13:34
Mr Berry...... the Tappit rooster