PDA

View Full Version : to publish, or not to publish?

landmarker
02-Feb-06, 23:10
The cartoons which have been causing so much fuss.

The ones depicting Allah, with a bomb on his head. Do you think a British newspaper will publish them?

I await tomorrow's trip to the newsagent with interest. How quick are the press here to publish anything controversial? I'd expect to see these in almost every title tomorrow.

Perhaps the threat of a fatwah might deter some, I don't know.

This is a secular,in all but fact, progressive democracy, which has poked fun at religion ever since Dave Allen sat on his stool, and probably much longer.

Peter Mandelson says this will be like pouring petrol onto flames. As he is an E.U. Commisioner for trade faced with middle-eastern boycotts he would say that wouldn't he?

I'm not 100% convinced about publication. I hear earnest muslims who seem really offended, yet part of me tells me if they wish to live in this society they should get used to its excesses. Is their faith so shakeable that a few cartoons drawn by 'infidels' can affect it? Is it so rigid that they cannot indulge others in their need to efface and scorn? No clearer demonstration of the old adage, east is east and west is west etc. etc. is being demonstrated here.

And yet, when hearing of the lack of idolatry in Islam. The complete ban on images of Mohammed and even Jesus Christ (also recognised by muslims as a prophet, and revered) I wonder if they have a point. Are some things beyond
fun? Beyond ridicule? At a time when western society cries out for boundaries for our youth, for discipline and parameters of personal behaviour is this a good place to start?

I'd expect the press, at least a couple of tabloids to publish tomorrow. I'm going to look at them on the net now - the BBC online site has links to the cartoons.

Would you be interested in seeing them? if only to see what all the fuss is about?

spurtle
02-Feb-06, 23:28
We, as a society,have become a nation of apologisers.If newspapers have their free speech taken away due to someone taking offence then where would that stop? Surely in a modern society we should have the opportunity to voice our opinions free of villification and death threats.
Tolerance goes both ways our culture and freedoms must be "tolerated" and respected -not apologised for.

landmarker
02-Feb-06, 23:46
I went looking for the cartoons but couldn't find 'em. Never mind.
By way of an update though and the consequences for European trade....

...a spokeswoman for Danish Bacon Co. when told that muslim countries were orchestrating a concerted campaign banning Danish products said...

'Am I bothered? do I look bothered?'

Gleber2
03-Feb-06, 04:22
Much has been written recently on this Forum regarding prejudice.We must not express negative feelings about homosexuality,we must not be racist we must grant others the right to speak their minds without prejudice etc. etc. etc.However idiosyncratic we believe the Muslims to be,their attitude towards idolatory is so stongly rooted in their religion and is so strongly felt that to break their rules is to insult Allah,Mohamed,the Prophets and every Muslim. For the sake of a few,to us,innocuous drawings we are prepared to further alienate well over a million religious fanatics who already hate us.It is not so long ago that the Inquisition were burning heretics for lesser insults to God and for not believing in the deification of Jesus.Tolerance and understanding is what is needed on both sides.Stop the childish games before it is the end of us.