PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium fish keeping

Burnside
08-Jan-09, 23:53
We just bought some mollies from the Pet store in Wick and they did tell us that one was pregnant and lo and behold today my little 2 year old said "Whats that" and when I looked there were little fishes. Then seen the mum eat one!!!
Not sure what to do I have put a plastic dish with water from the tank floating on the surface and caught as many of the little blighters that I could and have put them in there before they are all eaten but not sure what to do with them now, i.e. can I just feed them fish flakes like the other fish. Would love to see them flourish and grow.
Can anyone give a novice fish keeper some tips?

A9RUNNER
09-Jan-09, 00:27
You can get a net that hangs inside your aquarium. Catch the babies and put them in. As for feeding them I have no iddea

changilass
09-Jan-09, 01:09
I have always fed them on same as the rest just rubbed through the fingers till fine and they have done ok.

You can go to pet shop for food specialy for them.

neepnipper
09-Jan-09, 13:24
Pets at Home sell breeding traps that you can keep your little tiddlers in, they also sell food for baby fish but you can just feed them very finely crushed flake food.

Mystical Potato Head
11-Jan-09, 16:57
Live Brine shrimp is really good for fry.I'm sure you would get them in Wick.You buy a tube of eggs,looks like pepper they're so fine,sprinkle some on the surface of some salt water in a light place and bingo thousands of minute shrimps,live food is undoubtedly the best for rearing fry.

hotrod4
12-Jan-09, 06:34
Live Brine shrimp is really good for fry.I'm sure you would get them in Wick.You buy a tube of eggs,looks like pepper they're so fine,sprinkle some on the surface of some salt water in a light place and bingo thousands of minute shrimps,live food is undoubtedly the best for rearing fry.
Have to agree. Worked with my guppies perfectly. In no time at all they were sprouting!

Burnside
26-Jan-09, 14:15
Thanks very much for all your replies. Unfortunately before I could get the net the tub that I kept the caputred fry (now know that is name for baby fish) obviously wasn't right as they have all since died. However there must be five or six crafty ones that managed to escape me luckily and they are still surviving having not being eaten by the adults and it is good to see them growing.
Thanks again everyone for helping me out.