PDA

View Full Version : Misheard Lyrics

Julia
08-Jan-09, 23:47
I've just noticed Scorrie's signature and I'm quite sure there are plenty of us who have misheard lyrics, I do it all the time. One of my favourites is Macy Gray's 'I try'...

'I try to say goodbye and I choke
Try to walk away and I stumble
Though I try to hide it, it's clear
I wear goggles when you are not here'

butterfly
09-Jan-09, 00:20
you picked a fine time to leave me lucille,five hundred children and a crop in the field[lol]

Venture
09-Jan-09, 00:37
I have to say the first song that springs to mind is by Shania Twain and "That Don't Impress Me Much". It has to do with a car and kissing at night. If I put a better explanation down here I'd probably get banned. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.[lol]

acameron
09-Jan-09, 00:53
Only until a couple of years ago I thought the advert was...

A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat, a finger of fudge is just enough until it's time to eat. It's full of PEPPERY goodness and very small and neat.......

slinky
09-Jan-09, 01:08
james shes a star?

Julia
09-Jan-09, 01:14
Paul Young - 'Everytime you go away'

Every time you go away you take a piece of meat with you.

Aaldtimer
09-Jan-09, 03:53
That's what they are known as in the folkie world.
It comes from a mis-hearing of a line in the Ballad "The Bonnie Earl of Moray".

It should be "They laid him on the green", but someone misinterpreted it as "The Lady Mondegreen".:lol:

hotrod4
09-Jan-09, 06:16
Scouting for girls- She's so lovely.
I swear that he sings shes slovenly, shes slovenly!!!!

Which complete changes the song. Now I cant hear it without singing that!!:lol:

Iffy
09-Jan-09, 08:21
Not lyrics to a song but a well known saying ...

"Hell hath no fury like a woman's corns " !!!

tisme
09-Jan-09, 11:23
Jimi Hendrix, All Along The Watchtower;
I always used to sing, 'said the Joker to the flea' as upposed to 'Junkie to the thief'........:confused

guitarzan
09-Jan-09, 11:29
Continuing down the Jimi Hendrix vein:-

(Please forgive me for soiling your lyrics Jimi...)

In "Purple Haze", instead of "Excuse me, while I kiss the sky" it sounds right like "Excuse me, while I kiss this guy"

In fact there is a website dedicated to misheard lyrics called www.kissthisguy.com that is blatantly a parody of this particular Hendrix lyric. Good for a laugh.

Julia
09-Jan-09, 11:37
Creedence Clearwater Revival singing 'Bad Moon Rising'

'There's a bad moon rising' sounds like 'there's a bathroom on the right'

anneoctober
09-Jan-09, 12:58
The Scaffold - for Lilly the pink......... sing Lilly the PIG.........:eek:[lol]

scorrie
09-Jan-09, 15:57

A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat, a finger of fudge is just enough until it's time to eat. It's full of PEPPERY goodness and very small and neat.......

I was near certain that the line was "It's full of SLEVERY goodness", as my nephew had a habit of leaving the fudge lying on the couch half-eaten. I can assure you, they were "Bonny and Slevery"!!

scorrie
09-Jan-09, 16:02
I've just noticed Scorrie's signature and I'm quite sure there are plenty of us who have misheard lyrics, I do it all the time. One of my favourites is Macy Gray's 'I try'...

'I try to say goodbye and I choke
Try to walk away and I stumble
Though I try to hide it, it's clear
I wear goggles when you are not here'

The Texas song "Fight the Feeling" has the following line:-

"Fight the feeling
Show me your strength
Fight the feeling
You've got to fight to the end"

For long enough, I thought it was:-

"Bite the ceiling,
Tony you're tense,
bite the ceiling,
you've got to bite through the vent"

Iffy
09-Jan-09, 16:14
I was near certain that the line was "It's full of SLEVERY goodness", as my nephew had a habit of leaving the fudge lying on the couch half-eaten. I can assure you, they were "Bonny and Slevery"!!

That is SO funny, first good laugh I've had this year - CHEERS :lol::lol::lol:

theone
09-Jan-09, 16:29
Jimi Hendrix, All Along The Watchtower;
I always used to sing, 'said the Joker to the flea' as upposed to 'Junkie to the thief'........:confused

You only had one word wrong the first time.

You've still got one wrong. ;)

Max
09-Jan-09, 16:31
I was confused for years at a Paul Simon song "Call me Al". I was convinced that he sang "far away my wellie blew up". It seems he sings Far away my well-lit door...... or something but it sounds more like "far away my wellie blew up" to me!

stixie
09-Jan-09, 16:44
Not quite the right thread but it reminded me of a Catholic wedding myself and my partner went to.

Neither of us being Catholic we did not know the traditions, nor did we know many people as having gotten lost and arriving late we ended up on the wrong side of the church.

There came a point in the proceedings when the priest said "peace be with you" and everyone started turning to their neighbours and repeating this blessing. I noticed my boyfriend was turning to everyone and saying "pleased to meet you". The looks on their faces was a picture and i still laugh when i think back on it!

At least he came across very friendly!

Goldie
09-Jan-09, 17:06
Cher -Walking in Memphis

When my daughter was 3/4 years old she used to sing

"I'm walking in ladies vests"

I asked her why and she said

"Because I don't walk in Mens Vests"

We have never sang Memphis since - it is now always going to be "Walking in mens vests" lol

Bad Manners
09-Jan-09, 17:41
the well known favorite
Tony Christie Is this the way to hammer Brillo

Bazeye
09-Jan-09, 18:37
Dancing Queen

You can dance....in your underpants

Bazeye
09-Jan-09, 18:40
OHs just reminded me . She always thought Johnny Tillotson(was it him?) sang Oh a tree in motion.

Ash
09-Jan-09, 19:13
my cousin thought take thats back for good
was watch your back watch your back for good

Sporran
09-Jan-09, 19:33
Continuing down the Jimi Hendrix vein:-

(Please forgive me for soiling your lyrics Jimi...)

In "Purple Haze", instead of "Excuse me, while I kiss the sky" it sounds right like "Excuse me, while I kiss this guy"
Thanks for enlightening me, guitarzan! To this very day, that's what I thought he was singing! :lol:

Mother Bear
09-Jan-09, 19:38
What a great thread.......some of them had me in stitches too!
My own personal one, can't remember the group..its on the tip of my tongue...honest!
'This town ain't big enough for the both of us'.......always sounded to me like....'This town ain't big enough for the Belstone Fox'.....I think there was a film with similar title out around the sametime.

Sporran
09-Jan-09, 19:44
I think it was a two brother band called "Sparks" that sang that, Mother Bear.

Mother Bear
09-Jan-09, 19:47
Yes, thats the guys! Thanks Sporran.....I will be able to sleep tonight !

tisme
11-Jan-09, 11:05
You only had one word wrong the first time.

You've still got one wrong. ;)

Oh well, there you go. If you have to get it wrong anywhere it's as well in a post like this. Guess I will have to look them up then. :lol:

Julia
11-Jan-09, 14:21
Bon Jovi "You Give Love A Bad Name"

Baby, you give me a migraine.

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 14:23
my cousin thought take thats back for good
was watch your back watch your back for good

Ah yes...Take That, those well known Mafia Hitmen :lol:

scorrie
11-Jan-09, 16:19
Pat Benatar :- "Hit me with your vest Jock"

The Doors:- "Come on Baby bite my tyre"

Mary Hopkin:- "Knock Knock who's there, now that the night is falling, take off your clothes and come inside"

I always thought that Steve Winwood's "Bring Me a Higher Love" was actually "Bring Me an Iron Lung"

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 16:51
Ah yes...Take That, those well known Mafia Hitmen :lol:
Who said anything about Mafia?;)
"scratchin like a tomcat got take that on my back"-Jailbird pie: primal scream

girnigoe
11-Jan-09, 17:21
Does anyone remember the Toys R Us advert years ago? I remember something about this being on (i think) "Points of View" with Anne Robinson. The lyrics were actually "theres millions said geoffrey all under one roof" but it sounded like something really rude. But for the life of me I cant remember what it was supposed to sound like :S

Can anyone remember? :)

joxville
11-Jan-09, 18:14

I always thought that too-tell me what the correct lyrics are please.

From Madonna's La Isla Bonita: Young girl with eyes like potatoes!!! I still don't know the correct lyrics for that either.

Julia
11-Jan-09, 19:00
From Madonna's La Isla Bonita: Young girl with eyes like potatoes!!! I still don't know the correct lyrics for that either.

Is it not 'with eyes like pesetas'?

girnigoe
11-Jan-09, 20:37
I always sing "Young girl with eyes like THE DESSERT" Im probably wrong too though [lol]

girnigoe
11-Jan-09, 20:38

Its full of CADBURY goodness and very small and neat. A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat.............

Mik.M.
11-Jan-09, 22:45

Cadbury goodness are the missing words.

loobyloo
12-Jan-09, 13:37
"Walking on the beaches, looking at the fishes." Stranglers.
Have a friend who insists those are the right words.............

scorrie
12-Jan-09, 18:07
"Walking on the beaches, looking at the fishes." Stranglers.
Have a friend who insists those are the right words.............

"Puking on the teachers" is the correct line!!

scorrie
12-Jan-09, 18:13
Manhattan Transfer famously sang about an Irishman out in the peat bog firing a machine gun.

"Sean's On The Moor...rat-tat-tat-tat-tat"

daviddd
18-Jan-09, 01:18
Police - Message in a bottle:

"A year has gone since I broke my nose........"

I love singing these words; god knows what they're supposed to be; who cares?!

celtic 302
18-Jan-09, 01:54
Police - Message in a bottle:

"A year has gone since I broke my nose........"

I love singing these words; god knows what they're supposed to be; who cares?!

I thought the exact same thing, but I have been informed that it should be:

"A year has gone since I wrote my note..."

The broken nose is much more entertaining though.

JAWS
18-Jan-09, 09:40
One which I was assured is correct. Anybody remember the Shredded Wheat advert where the background singers sang, “Growing up Shredded Wheat”?

Well I was assured by somebody who worked for one of the large ITV Companies that what they actually sang was, “Throwing up Shredded Wheat”.

And the Big Yin talking about mishearing songs said he used to think there were “Romans in the Gloaming”.

How about Simon and Garfunkel with “Like a Fridge over Troubled Water”. Well that was my son's version.

scorrie
18-Jan-09, 13:24
How about Simon and Garfunkel with “Like a Fridge over Troubled Water”. Well that was my son's version.

When I was young, I thought the song was describing someone's runny nose:-

"Like a ridge over bubbled snotter"

joxville
18-Jan-09, 13:26
From The Lords Prayer:

'Harold be thy name'

Julia
18-Jan-09, 14:27
From The Lords Prayer:

'Harold be thy name'

roflmao :lol:

Julia
18-Jan-09, 14:37
Manhattan Transfer famously sang about an Irishman out in the peat bog firing a machine gun.

"Sean's On The Moor...rat-tat-tat-tat-tat"

My boy's dad has never heard this song so just downloaded it, it really is 'sean's on the moor'!! :lol: