PDA

View Full Version : Wick High School DOESN'T Burn Down

brokencross
08-Jan-09, 18:18
Although it needs demolishing, this fire wasn't big enough to warrant a rebuild of WHS.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/7817662.stm

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-09, 18:21
If at first you dont succeed try, try and try again. :lol:

Its the only way I think they will ever get a new build.

Glad to see no-one was in any danger :)

Venture
08-Jan-09, 18:54

Now Alice don't you be giving anybody any ideas.

Mind you it would save an awful lot of time on the campaign traill.[lol]

rfr10
08-Jan-09, 19:10
Will be deleting all posts in this thread for a certain reason.

Venture
08-Jan-09, 19:31
Oh for goodness sake, why does information about a very small fire need to be on a BBC news article :Razz.

Obviously not a lot going on the world today for Wick to get a mention.[lol]

scorrie
08-Jan-09, 22:21

Agent Fawkes:- Your mission failed, please refer back to original desired objective as shown below and remember, you were supposed to blow MORE than the Bloody Doors OFF!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/cfiles34608.jpg

Moira
08-Jan-09, 22:28
Oh for goodness sake, why does information about a very small fire need to be on a BBC news article.

Because, rfr, maybe more folk care about the welfare of the staff and pupils of WHS than you know.

Well how about we come up with a plan to make headline National news for Wick. Now what's bigger than a small fire.. hrm...

Looks like we may well get a new school :lol: Better not say anything incase something does happen- I'll be getting the blame!

Be careful of what you wish for. I would only wish Wick High School to be making the National News Headlines for all the right reasons. :)

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-09, 23:01
Surley that would be the responsibility of the school to inform parents, pupils and staff rather than Highland wide news for such a minor accident.

Goodness this is Caithness .................the school nor the national news could get this story to us any quicker than the good old grapevine. :lol:

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-09, 23:04
Agent Fawkes:- Your mission failed, please refer back to original desired objective as shown below and remember, you were supposed to blow MORE than the Bloody Doors OFF!!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/cfiles34608.jpg

I must write 1000 times

TNT next time not TCP..................

telfordstar
08-Jan-09, 23:15
Cant see the big deal with this at all.

Julia
08-Jan-09, 23:20
What an inferno that must have been, 'a small fire in a pile of saw dust'.

Don't the workshops have fire extinguishers or is it common practice to evacuate the whole school?

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-09, 23:24
Hey Ho but dont we just love making mountains out of molehills ....:lol: :roll:

Moira
08-Jan-09, 23:34
Surley that would be the responsibility of the school to inform parents, pupils and staff rather than Highland wide news for such a minor accident.

Perhaps so, but "minor accidents" have developed into "major incidents" within a few seconds before today.

Surely (I've corrected your spelling ;)) you can understand the media attention and use it to your advantage? I am, of course, referring to the fire incident and not your spelling. :D

Moira
08-Jan-09, 23:57
Sorry, when I'm typing quickly, I tend to spell many words the way I say them without thinking properly that I can't possibly form surley from the word sure or I'd be moving letters around .

I don't see how we can use the media attention to our advantage. I doubt it would make a difference:Razz

I just meant that I read your "surley" as "surly" rather than "surely" and I'm quite convinced you are not surly - you have too much energy!

Any media attention is good. You just have to turn it around to your advantage. I'm on your side rfr10 but don't you dare stick your tongue out at me again. ;)

George Brims
09-Jan-09, 01:19
Apparently when sawdust catches fire, it can cause an explosion. Don't ask me why. No one was allowed near the tech hut for a short while today because of this.
If the sawdust (or any flammable dust like coal dust or flour) is dispersed in the air it can explode. A lot of mine explosions are of that nature.

hotrod4
09-Jan-09, 06:22
My daughters class were told to stay where they were until the teacher had finished what she was saying!!!!
I found this shocking as when the bell sounds you must leave immediately and safely.
Cant believe a teacher did this,they must assumed it was a drill BUT even if it was you always treat any alarm as real.

Shocked and disgusted.

ploo251
09-Jan-09, 08:13
That is terrible and if any of my daughters had that problem I would take it straight to Alistair Trail and even further if he was not willing to act. On another day that few seconds could cost lives. Please do something about it so that it cannot happen again.

brokencross
09-Jan-09, 08:16
Oh for goodness sake, why does information about a very small fire need to be on a BBC news article :Razz.

Are you also saying that I should not have highlighted the article on the Org.

I would have thought any fire where children are evacuated from a school is newsworthy, especially in a small community like Wick. Many people are interested what goes on in the smaller world. Going by your criteria the only news reported would be war, pestilence, plague and not forgetting Highland Youth and Transport news.

Surely the BBC news website is a forum for the promulgation of NEWS and news. It was placed in the BBC Scotland Highlands and Islands section, it was NOT the lead headline on the National news.

The Angel Of Death
09-Jan-09, 12:12
Apparently when sawdust catches fire, it can cause an explosion.

If the sawdust (or any flammable dust like coal dust or flour) is dispersed in the air it can explode. A lot of mine explosions are of that nature.

The sawdust cannon "experiment" can be seen Here (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPL7KC1DEA&feature=related)

The Mythbusters team did a "test" with tea / coffee creamer (because its more flammable) superb results can be found Here (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc)

The best thing is that for something as simple as sawdust and creamer it can be turned into something as destructive so remember don't try any of these at home kids no matter how fun it looks

Kirdon
09-Jan-09, 17:27
Will be deleting all posts in this thread for a certain reason.

Sorry just read this. Whats the "certain reason"?

rfr10
09-Jan-09, 17:32
Sorry just read this. Whats the "certain reason"?

A member of the public has contacted the school, concerned about my posts in this thread so to prevent any further concern, I have removed my posts.

This is all the information I will be providing.

AfternoonDelight
09-Jan-09, 17:48
I wonder why? :roll:

rfr10
09-Jan-09, 17:50
I wonder why? :roll:

Yes, so do I to be honest...

Obviously there are certain individuals who will take things more seriously than others. I have yet to learn this by the looks of it...:roll:

AfternoonDelight
09-Jan-09, 17:54
There are always going to be people who take offence at things that aren't meant that way... but some things can be in bad taste and you have to learn to recognise the difference...

I never took offence by the way - but I might have if I was a parent...

And it might be worth noting that you weren't the only person joking around either. :confused

rfr10
09-Jan-09, 17:59
There are always going to be people who take offence at things that aren't meant that way... but some things can be in bad taste and you have to learn to recognise the difference...

I never took offence by the way - but I might have if I was a parent...

And it might be worth noting that you weren't the only person joking around either. :confused

Well I didn't really say anything to offend any parents as far as I can see. It was all about the school and not about any certain individuals.

Alice in Blunderland
09-Jan-09, 19:59
Well I didn't really say anything to offend any parents as far as I can see. It was all about the school and not about any certain individuals.

Gosh I got confused when I came back to this thread :eek:

No offence taken here and I am a parent.

rfr10
09-Jan-09, 20:14
Gosh I got confused when I came back to this thread :eek:

No offence taken here and I am a parent.

Sometime I think we are living in a very confusing and restricting world :Razz

To those concerned- the rector has assured me that he will most certainly bring the matter of teachers delaying pupils from leaving the classroom when the fire alarm sounds to the attention of the teachers.

George Brims
09-Jan-09, 21:04
Thanks for those links, Angel. I once worked security in a flour mill in Leith. They told me that sort of thing was possible, so I wasn't too happy when one of the fire alarms started bleeping in the middle of the night. Turned out to be a smoking bearing on a drive shaft.

telfordstar
10-Jan-09, 15:31
A member of the public has contacted the school, concerned about my posts in this thread so to prevent any further concern, I have removed my posts.

This is all the information I will be providing.

I have been reading your posts and didnt see anyhing the would offend anyone. Obviously the person has way to much time on there hands to phone up and complain on petty things. You seem to get some what of a hard time when you post but chin up eh.