PDA

View Full Version : 99P Shop in Wick

Kodiak
08-Jan-09, 15:49
Has anyone been in the 99P Shop in Wick Lately. I have been told it now has a Nickname "The Morgue"

Reason being it is so COLD in there. I know the staff are not happy with this and the Last time I was in it was colder inside the Shop than what it was outside and that is saying something.

Anyone else noticed this?

I feel like complaining to someone but I do not to whom. I did complain to staff but they say they can do nothing as they are not allowed to put on any more heating.

binbob
08-Jan-09, 15:59
i think by law,the staff are entitled to a warm comfortable temp.to work in.i think u would have to get in touch with the council..do not know which dept....perhaps someone will know .

unicorn
08-Jan-09, 16:02
or environmental health as it affects staff and customers?

Angela
08-Jan-09, 16:07
As I recall the temperature in a sedentary workplace like an office should be at or above 16C.

It would be a higher minimum temperature for a shop I think, as the staff are usually moving around more and you need to allow for customers being dressed in outdoor clothes. :confused

balto
08-Jan-09, 16:07
rumour has it, the chap that rents the buildings hasnt been paying his rent, so they are on the verge of kicking him out.

cazmanian_minx
08-Jan-09, 16:42
The Thurso premises are certainly available for lease:

http://www.asandj.co.uk/property.asp?intent=details&propid=92

(ignore the green New On Market banner, it's been there at least four months).

Venture
08-Jan-09, 17:20
You need to be very careful balto posting information like that.

unicorn
08-Jan-09, 17:37
I would agree the written word can get you into trouble.

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 17:38
As far as i am aware there is a specific temperature! I remember at work one time the temperature was very low, heating was bust so we got sent home until fixed and at correct temp!

Aussiewicker
08-Jan-09, 17:40
need to sell a lot of 99p stuff to pay for heating... maybe it just can't be done?

butterfly
08-Jan-09, 17:51
you dont have to work in anything below 16c.although it must be below 16c for 2hrs before you can walk out.also evey establishment must display thermonators so you can keep an eye on tempeture.switch the heating on or go to c.a.b.dont suffer for an employer to save money.health and safety doesnt work on a budget,tell that to your employer.[lol]

veekay
08-Jan-09, 20:20
Feel sorry for the staff its b----y freezing in there. I hear that hours have been cut and if this is the case perhaps the staff are afraid to say anything for fear of their jobs.

It makes you think I mean even with all the rules and regulations around bosses can still get away with freezing people to 'chilblains' perhaps someone in the relevant council department will read this thread and 'go shopping' there - well you never know do you

kitty kat
08-Jan-09, 23:03
i can confirm it is 13c for people who are up and moving about 16c for people who are seated i done abit of research when working in a very cold building before

also the castletown shop has been told they are no longer ordering carrier bags you must bring your own and they have been told they will no longer be allowed the heating on what is this world coming to ???

Kevin Milkins
08-Jan-09, 23:34
I think the credit crunch will kick a few of us into the real world.

Heating off = 99p shop. Heating on = £1-99 shop = Woolworth's.:confused

Venture
09-Jan-09, 00:19
i can confirm it is 13c for people who are up and moving about 16c for people who are seated i done abit of research when working in a very cold building before

also the castletown shop has been told they are no longer ordering carrier bags you must bring your own and they have been told they will no longer be allowed the heating on what is this world coming to ???

The people who work for this employer need to know their rights when it comes to a working environment.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/thermal/

sweetpea
09-Jan-09, 00:28
I just feel that even if you know your rights it's a totally different thing doing anythin about it. Bosses will do whatevere they can to get one over on staff and the current climate lends quite nicely to this.

kitty kat
09-Jan-09, 00:33
The people who work for this employer need to know their rights when it comes to a working environment.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/thermal/

you can give 1 hours notice for them to heat the place and you are well within your rights to go home i printed of a copy of my rights and handed it round to show everyone then the boss was informed they soon heated the place

forevera123
09-Jan-09, 03:15
that is what i told my partner when he told me it is so cold there.

need to sell a lot of 99p stuff to pay for heating... maybe it just can't be done?

Gizmo
09-Jan-09, 11:41
you can give 1 hours notice for them to heat the place and you are well within your rights to go home i printed of a copy of my rights and handed it round to show everyone then the boss was informed they soon heated the place

I have just read all the information provided at this website http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/thermal/index.htm and can find no reference to '1 hours notice' to heat the workplace, it would seem the rules have changed and there is no real minimum or maximum acceptable working temperature for the workplace, just guidelines for personal thermal comfort, and if you have 10 employees then 8 of those have to complain about the working temperature before anything needs to be done, it would seem that for every way an employee can complain about the temperature in the workplace there is a way for the employer to get out of actually doing something about it.

kitty kat
09-Jan-09, 12:17
I have just read all the information provided at this website http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/thermal/index.htm and can find no reference to '1 hours notice' to heat the workplace, it would seem the rules have changed and there is no real minimum or maximum acceptable working temperature for the workplace, just guidelines for personal thermal comfort, and if you have 10 employees then 8 of those have to complain about the working temperature before anything needs to be done, it would seem that for every way an employee can complain about the temperature in the workplace there is a way for the employer to get out of actually doing something about it.

it was under health and safety regulation i cant find the link as this was a while back i will try and find it again though

Gizmo
09-Jan-09, 13:43
it was under health and safety regulation i cant find the link as this was a while back i will try and find it again though

I doubt you will find it, that website is the official website of the Heath & Safety Executive and those are the latest regulations concerning temperature in the workplace, the regulations have obviously changed quite a bit since you searched for them and i'd hate to think of some employee shoving outdated regulations in the face of their employer after reading the posts on here.

hotrod4
09-Jan-09, 14:16
Rather than complain about how cold the shop is,shouldnt we be thankful that at least we HAVE a 99p shop.
When we didnt have one people were up in arms.Lets at least be glad rather than picking faults.[evil]

Kodiak
09-Jan-09, 14:46
Rather than complain about how cold the shop is,shouldnt we be thankful that at least we HAVE a 99p shop.
When we didnt have one people were up in arms.Lets at least be glad rather than picking faults.[evil]

True to a certain point. One question though hotrod4, Would you be Happy to work in a shop where it is So COLD that you have to visit your Doctor for the Treatment of Chillblains which was caused by the severe Cold in the Shop.

Not quite so bad for Customers as they can wear Coats, staff are not allowed to, and they are only in the shop for a few Minutes not the Hours the Staff are. Also customers can leave whenever they want to, Staff can not, at least not without losing their Jobs. Not that they have much of a Job as their hours have been cut back so much it is really only a Part Time Job now.

What is needed in that shop is for the Bosses to get heating, Warm the shop up and they will get in more Customers and thet way they will sell more and this will lead to greater profit for them.

Keep the shop cold and they will loose Customers, get less profit and have disgruntled staff. Putting in heating would be a Win, Win situation for them.