PDA

View Full Version : Should have be told!!

highlander
08-Jan-09, 09:04
Over the years i have often asked what my blood type was having had many blood tests for this or that, often was told they did not know, little did i know it has been clearly written on my notes for the last 29 years, Yesterday i learnt it was AB+ and then looked it up on the national blood site, it said only 3% of the country has this type of blood group, if i had been aware of this many years ago i would have certainly donated blood, it was the old story i always meant to do it, but never got around to it. Now its too late i cant give blood because of the treatment i receive each month, it upsets me to think of all the people i could have helped. I do think it would be a good idea for everyone to be given a card to let them know thier blood groups if needed in an emergency, this could be easily added to your driving licence or passports, what are your thoughts on this?

Aussiewicker
08-Jan-09, 09:27
Over the years i have often asked what my blood type was having had many blood tests for this or that, often was told they did not know, little did i know it has been clearly written on my notes for the last 29 years, Yesterday i learnt it was AB+ and then looked it up on the national blood site, it said only 3% of the country has this type of blood group, if i had been aware of this many years ago i would have certainly donated blood, it was the old story i always meant to do it, but never got around to it. Now its too late i cant give blood because of the treatment i receive each month, it upsets me to think of all the people i could have helped. I do think it would be a good idea for everyone to be given a card to let them know thier blood groups if needed in an emergency, this could be easily added to your driving licence or passports, what are your thoughts on this?

I think that you should have been donating blood anyway: no matter what type or group you are. The country is always short on supply and crying out for blood stock. Why show remorse now? Is it just that you are of a minority grouping and concerned that similar people are not donating, just as you chose to do over the years??? Shame.

highlander
08-Jan-09, 09:41
I think that you should have been donating blood anyway: no matter what type or group you are. The country is always short on supply and crying out for blood stock. Why show remorse now? Is it just that you are of a minority grouping and concerned that similar people are not donating, just as you chose to do over the years??? Shame.

Yes i do feel ashamed that i never got around to donating blood, im not perfect by no means, are you? Maybe i am in a minority group and could be a lot more of people who are, if only they were aware of thier blood group.

Aussiewicker
08-Jan-09, 10:00
I have donated a lot of blood and plasma over the years, but no: not perfect by a long way........

Hope your health is as good as can be, and wish you all good things for 2009.

Aussiewicker.

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 11:56
I would like to donate blood. But i never know where to go?! Also not sure if i am allowed having recent tattoos??!

Does anyone know the rules on this?

Kirdon
08-Jan-09, 12:01
I would like to donate blood. But i never know where to go?! Also not sure if i am allowed having recent tattoos??!

Does anyone know the rules on this?

http://www.scotblood.co.uk/docs/dilcallup.pdf

but if it dont work try http://www.scotblood.co.uk/

It's worth doing.

Kenn
08-Jan-09, 12:59
Strange coincidence, was discusing only a couple of days back about blood groups and being a donor.
I too would have liked to be a donor being a rare blood group but unfortunately could not.
With regard to carrying a blood card, I have done so since in my late teens but it in the event of an accident it would not be taken as carte blanche and new tests would be done as unless I was fully conscious the medics would have no guarantee that it belonged to me.
I understand that if we ever move to bio-metric passports then that would be one of the things that would be included.
Being a donor has become increasingly difficult as there are no longer regular clinics held in my area, even my daughter who was a regular now only manages to attend about once a year.

anneoctober
08-Jan-09, 13:09
I've been refused as a donor - not because they don't want me, but because my veins are so poor, they can hardly get a drop or two oot o me when they need it for tests for my functions..........:eek: Now I'm too old anyway:~( However I am A neg.

Dadie
08-Jan-09, 13:25
I would give blood when I could ... half the time I would be aneamic and would be sent away half the time I gave I would hit the floor apart from that I would be ok.... havent given for a while since being pregnant/having Iona but as soon as the vampires are back and Im allowed to give I will try again:lol:
Im B+ but dont know how rare or common that is!

Hubby is always fine after donating so he is fit to look after me and the kids!

crashbandicoot1979
08-Jan-09, 13:35
I agree, I think it would be handy if we had a record of our blood types on something, such as our passports/driving licenses, for emergencies.

I had hypnotherapy to overcome my phobia of blood because I feel so guilty about not being able to give blood for that reason. I can't give blood at the moment but will be able to in the future, so will be interesting to see if the hypnotherapy has worked or not.

Bad Manners
08-Jan-09, 13:40
I have given blood on a very regular basis from my teens till I had an illness that prevents me from doing so. It is a very good thing to do and the more people how do so the better. for those who havent so far give it a go it is easy to do and if your lucky you even get a nice cup of tea and a biccy.

porshiepoo
08-Jan-09, 14:03
Must be something in the air at the moment as we've been discussing it too. My cousin was killed at the weekend in a RTA and it got us thinking about blood donation.
What about those who are needle phobic though? My daughters would love to give blood but the pallaver we had at the docs the other day just to get some for routine tests kinda tells me it won't be possible.
Hubby has no hope, he collapses and hyper ventilates at the sight of a needle.
My problem is that docs and nurses can never actually get blood from me. The nurse tried twice in each arm last time and even though she was convinced she was in the vein as she got an initial drop of blood, nothing came out. No other veins would come up and eventually I had to spend 10 mins warming my hands up in hot water so that she could get a vein up on the back of my hand. I felt so sorry for the poor nurse.

So although we'd all love to give blood I don't know how any of us would manage it.
What actually happens during the process? I think perhaps a lack of understanding in that area can put people off.

Fran
08-Jan-09, 15:06
If you donate blood you then have a card with your blood type on.
I wear a medic-alert pendant around my neck which states my blood group and other things, very handy in an accident if you need blood.
If your veins are bad for giving blood, placing your hands in a bowl of hot water, or wrapping a hot towel around your arm gives excellent results and makes the veins stick out and there is then no problem with a needle etc. I don't know why more doctors dont use this method,
Some years ago i was given 8 pints of blood in edinburgh infirmary and have always been grateful to those blood donors, and used to think about them and wonder if i was walking past them in the street etc.
I can't give blood now, I used to. I was very nervous the first time and went with a friend who had donated for years. It was such a simple thing and i couldn't beleive i hadn't done it before.
I would urge everyone who can to donate blood, speak to someone who does, or phone Raigmore hospital. you could save a life. There are other parts of your blood that is needed too. And if you have a rare blood group you could be called to your local hospital if someone has been involved in an accident etc,
Also, if you are having an operation where you may need blood, yourself, you can give your own blood to be used, a few days beforehand.
Please dont think about it, do it.

Bazeye
08-Jan-09, 15:11
I work with a couple of ex squaddies and they both have their blood group tattooed on their wrists.

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 18:01
I have really bad veins....readin the thread above i thought oh dear to myself! lol!

When i was gettin a normal routine blood test when i was pregnant it took 6 attempts...both arms! next place was my foot! :eek: Have had to go there before and it hurts!

I dont mind needles at all! :D Bring em on i say! But i am gonna look into donating blood! Might save my families life one day...or someone elses! :D

ashaw1
08-Jan-09, 18:54

Can always remember years ago when my dad went to work in the Falklands he had to know his blood type. The only way he could find this out was to donate blood, thought it would have been easier for his GP to tell him. I assume as he was in his late forties at the time he would have had a blood test done at some stage in his life.

Fluff
08-Jan-09, 20:38
I am assuming the routine will be the same for Scotland as it is England.

you go in and are given a form to read and sign asking questions (if you have travelled recently etc..) to tick yes or no. Then you are asked to read through a folder advising why certain people are asked not to give blood and to say what they test for..
If you ticked yes to anything on the form you are taken somewhere private and they ask a few more relevant questions.
If you are successful at this stage you will be taken to a booth where the nurse will confirm your details, then check the iron levels in your blood by pricking your finger and dropping the drop into some special solution (if it floats they take blood from your arm to check the iron level more thoroughly)

Again if all ok you then go through to have your blood taken, you lay on a bed with one arm on a rest streched out (you can request an anaesthetic for the arm) Again your details are checked, your arm is cleaned and the needle in inserted. you are asked to repeatedly make a fist and relax to keep the blood flowing.
After they get the required amount, you sit for a few mins putting pressure on your arm where the needle was, then they put a big plaster on it. You can stay laid down as long as you need. Then you get your tea and biscuits!

The blood website has a 'virtual' session, but you won't be able to look up sessions as this is the site for England and Wales.

I hope this info helps and you decide to donate, it is worth it!
http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/b5simple.html

DM07
08-Jan-09, 22:20
I have always gave blood since the time I was of age. However if you get pregnant they dont take it, which I have done from time to time and if you go to a country like the middle east they dont take your blood for so long after return. I was refused of donating blood the other day as my Iron was low (veggie) it has to be above 125 and I was 123! I am 0+ (the most common group in this part of the world) I am also on the bone marrow register and I have been an organ donor since before i was a teenager. My partner doesnt donate and he is A-. He cant be bothered and I say 'Ill tell you that when you are in the hospital after an RTA'.
They are really nice people at the donor centre and helpful. I often ask them questions to see how much they know about what the do and they know their stuff. Last time I was enquiring how much is wasted and they said that millions is spent on transporting blood between hospitals so it isnt wasted.

young_fishin_neep
09-Jan-09, 00:26
wehn i came of age to give blood i was never able to as it hadnt been a year since my tatoo and hadnt been long enough since i got a peircing. but now i can do it, and readin this thread has made me want to do it even more, so i looked up whne the next time they are in thurso

i foudn this site its for people in scotland just fill in you postcode nd it will tell you were and wen your nearest donation session is

http://www.scotblood.co.uk/searchnew.aspx

xxx

George Brims
09-Jan-09, 01:15
I am O-, which is the stuff they like best as it can be given to anyone - ever watch ER? However I can't give here in the US because of the Mad Cow business. I lived in the UK during the proscribed years. I really must get around to giving some when I am in the UK next.

Here the answer to the tattoo question is a one year wait, don't know about the UK.

sassylass
09-Jan-09, 02:45
Ashamed to admit it but after an ordeal which involved multiple jabs with a fine baby needle, watching 3 rounds of other donors come and go, 1/2 vial of blood, and being wakened by smelling salts they said "Thanks anyway and don't come back". :~(

rockchick
09-Jan-09, 10:06
What about those who are needle phobic though? My daughters would love to give blood but the pallaver we had at the docs the other day just to get some for routine tests kinda tells me it won't be possible.
Hubby has no hope, he collapses and hyper ventilates at the sight of a needle.

I am needle-phobic...can't stand the things...and still manage to give blood. The first time I went it was rather sad, I was obviously nervous, but lay down. I suppose because I was so nervous they just assumed I wanted the anesthetic, cuz I don't remember them asking me. Anyways, I'd steeled myself to look away so I didn't see the needle, felt a wee poke, thought "that wasn't so bad" and looked down at my arm to see this javelin coming towards me...the pin-poke had been the anesthetic jab! They popped the second needle in (which didn't hurt at all, by the way) but I was so upset I started crying right there in the clinic (how embarrassing!). The poor nurse was brilliant, she immediately asked me if I wanted them to stop the treatment, I said no (after all the worst was over), and she stayed with me until I calmed down, passing me tissues.

I've given blood many times since then - I still can't look at the needle, but I make sure I tell the nurse this before I go in, and they're fine with it. No more tears!

Oh and you have to wait one year after you've had a tattoo before giving blood.

Fran
09-Jan-09, 16:15
Rockchic......I do so admire you for gving blood even though you are so nervous, you really are an encouragement to other people to do likewise. Well done you.

Vistravi
11-Jan-09, 20:34
I am O-, which is the stuff they like best as it can be given to anyone - ever watch ER? However I can't give here in the US because of the Mad Cow business. I lived in the UK during the proscribed years. I really must get around to giving some when I am in the UK next.

Here the answer to the tattoo question is a one year wait, don't know about the UK.

I'm O- too. Ace they'll be glad of me too!!

Jus to give you some info for anyone concerned bout the process. you get given a questionnaire to fill in. its got questions bout your health, what drugs you've taken in the last two weeks, bout piercings and so forth. After you've completed your queastionaire one of the nurses checks it over and if there isn't any issues the do a finger test(jus a sharp cut to get a couple droplets of blood) to see what your iron levels are like. if your iron levels are fine then you move onto the next stage and give the blood. They ask you what arm is best for veins as they have different beds for left and right arms so that you're more comfortable.
The nurses keep an eye on you once they've got the blood going and they will stop it if you are feeling really unwell. They all amke sure that when you leave you are fit for walking and are feeling better. And of course they give you a cup of tea or coffee and a choc biscuit.

I'm a donor because it's good to do if you're allowed to do it and it's a family tradition in my family to be a blood donor if you're allowed to donate. I could only donate once last year due to getitng colds and sore throats a week before the date it was being held in the legion. They won't let you give blood if you've had a bug/coldsore throat/ a piercing or tattoo done under a year ago.

rockchick
12-Jan-09, 23:47
Rockchic......I do so admire you for gving blood even though you are so nervous, you really are an encouragement to other people to do likewise. Well done you.

It's gotten much easier, once you know what to expect. The first time was the definitely the worst! But, being an O- blood type I feel a civic duty to give blood if I can, because as an "universal donor" you can definitely save a life.