PDA

View Full Version : beware folks

butterfly
08-Jan-09, 03:32
:(beware folks ,twice in the last 6 days someone has tried to get in my back door in the small hours of the morning.thankfully i have a dog who started growling so that alerted us each time but what concerns us is they still came back a second time even after hearing our dog.i feel they are just trying doors to see if any are left open .lock your doors and secure you outbuildings .:mad:

theone
08-Jan-09, 03:38
:(beware folks ,twice in the last 6 days someone has tried to get in my back door in the small hours of the morning.thankfully i have a dog who started growling so that alerted us each time but what concerns us is they still came back a second time even after hearing our dog.i feel they are just trying doors to see if any are left open .lock your doors and secure you outbuildings .:mad:

Let us, and the police, know the area where you live please.

butterfly
08-Jan-09, 03:47
poltney side of town

binbob
08-Jan-09, 11:45
as i grew up in a city then lived in the central belt...i always lock doors /gates/car etc.i trust NO ONE.

not good to be too trusting anywhere............so lock..lock..lock.:mad:

dirtywicker
08-Jan-09, 11:50
same here butterfly i got up as some1 was trying the door about 3-4 oclock the last 2 days,where about in pultney r u?

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 11:52
Jeepers that is awful! :eek:

How can people do that! Makes me mad that does!

I always lock my doors! Luckily my back door cant be opened from the outside....never figured out why tho! lol! And i lock the front door when the cat goes out!

dirtywicker
08-Jan-09, 12:00
its strange as well as im in an upstairs house & only have 1 door as well,so theyd have to come upstairs as well.
got my oh to put a bolt on the door yesterday just in case though
u need it nowadays:(

butterfly
08-Jan-09, 13:57
they were not exactly quiet when they were trying to get in,they also woke my daughter up,she was pretty scared but i have no worries cause there is always someone in the house and i know the dog would take the ankles off them!the thing that scared me the most was the dog charging for the door!i informed the police and they will patrol the area more often

porshiepoo
08-Jan-09, 14:11
Unfortunately I think we're going to see an increase in these robbery attempts (if that is what it was) due to the current credit crunch. Such a shame that we have to think about locking everything all the time, maybe more areas need to get into a neighbourhood watch scheme (although I don't know if that's any good at 4am).
I'm so glad we own dogs that will certainly protect family and property, they definately help us sleep at night.

butterfly
08-Jan-09, 15:02
agree there porchiepoo,but having a dog makes me feel better cause he has very good hearing,we have a doorbell but no one needs to use it cause he sees them coming!he loves people but not anyone coming in without knocking first,geez what a racket comes off him then,he is fearless and would definately attack who ever it was.yup i sleep easy with him in the house!

unicorn
08-Jan-09, 15:13
My dog is like that, woe betide anyone that came in my back door at night or enters the garden.
She is usually a softie but anyone who is around that should not be and she gets very upset.
Last year hubby was working away and she obviously heard something in the night and was going crazy so I just opened the door and let her deal with it, I thought she was being silly but in the morning the side gate was open and it is always locked so she knew best.

Henrik7
08-Jan-09, 15:23
they were not exactly quiet when they were trying to get in,they also woke my daughter up,she was pretty scared but i have no worries cause there is always someone in the house and i know the dog would take the ankles off them!the thing that scared me the most was the dog charging for the door!i informed the police and they will patrol the area more often

I had something similar happen but it was during the day and some kids had opened my front door. No idea if it was a prank or they were seeing if they could nick something. Couple of weeks later I saw about 6 teenagers in my back garden one night looking like they were going to steal a particular item. I chased them away and then decided to report this in case something similar was to happen again. I got told they would start patrolling the area a lot more and a year on have yet to see them once.

Tom Cornwall
09-Jan-09, 21:07
Unfortunately I think we're going to see an increase in these robbery attempts (if that is what it was) due to the current credit crunch. .

people seem to be blaming the credit crunch for everything these days...these people would rob you anyway, if they thought they'd get away with it..

forevera123
09-Jan-09, 21:28
fortunately, sometime last year i went for holiday without locking my back door,when i back from holiday, everything in my house stayed untouched.:D.thank you for let us know how bad it is now, that will remind me to lock my doors properly every time when i leave my house.;)

Salad Fingers
09-Jan-09, 21:37
This is not a coincidence. A couple of months ago someone came in my back door. He must have been disturbed as he only managed to take a tub of chocolate. It really shook me having the sanctuary which is my home violated in such a way.

It is lucky for him he got out and away. If i had caught him I would have taken matters into my own hand and beat him off.

I reported the matter but there was no further info on who did it. I probably will never get my chocolate back!

Take care folks and make sure your back door is secured to intruders. I didn't realise it was such a prolific problem in this town.

butterfly
10-Jan-09, 02:34
its like when the dark nights are here out come the thiefs,prowlers and chancers.would like to point out my door was locked and they were still trying to break in,they struggled trying to push the handle down then gave up.so you can have your door locked but they still will give it a go.[evil]

Fran
10-Jan-09, 02:37
Have you got one of those automatic lights which come on when someone passes? They are good at detering people as they think someone is coming out. I haven't had the use of mine for a couple of months because the bulb needs changing and I am lost without it.

butterfly
10-Jan-09, 02:55
fran,i have an outside light that i leave on but i am going to invest in one of these.people have told me thats a very good deterent.

sweetpea
10-Jan-09, 03:09

That's terrible. I'm normally pretty placid but if anyone tried my back door they would get what for.

butterfly
10-Jan-09, 03:37
warning to thiefs,if you value your feet and still want to walk for the rest of your life then stay away from my back door and my dog!!!![lol][lol]

Nivelo
10-Jan-09, 07:42
I found a brilliant little piece of software called yawcam http://www.yawcam.com/ You can just plug any web cam into it and it's really easy to setup so that it auto records if there's any movement around. Might be handy for folk if they keep getting there door handles checked. Just set it in a window and check it in the morning if u hear anything funny during the night.

Bill Fernie
10-Jan-09, 11:14
Some advice can be found here http://www.crimereduction.homeoffice.gov.uk/cpbtb.htm

butterfly
11-Jan-09, 02:52
thanks for that info ,made for interesting reading

slinky
11-Jan-09, 03:09
6 times in so many days gie why relie on ur dog and not stay up a full night urself keep an eye i certainly would do u have kids familly etc by the time thief tried ur door at many in recent weeks means they think ur a soft target stay up baseball bat set lines of fishing gut etc on ground have some fun catch them :Razz

butterfly
11-Jan-09, 03:54
now theres a thought!na choost set the dog on them and that will give me a laugh,let him do all the hard work[lol]

dragonfly
11-Jan-09, 11:09
We had PIR lights in our back garden but it still didn't stop someone attempting to break into our house in the middle of the night.

Luckily I heard him and he made off pretty quickly however when the Crime Prevention Officer came round afterwards he told us that PIRs are not deterrants as you can easily avoid breaking the beams that switch it on and that having lights on in the garden all night is far more of a deterrant to would be intruders - we now look like Stalag 19 with dusk to dawn lights around the house :eek:

hotrod4
11-Jan-09, 11:18
Its a sad state of affairs.If someone broke into my Crib I wouldnt think twice about poppin a cap in their ass!!!!!.[lol] Every mans home is his castle and he has the right to defend it. I would probably get the Clink but Mr Robberman would get Counselling and loads of support(i.e financail compensation) Crazy????

Kevin Milkins
11-Jan-09, 13:18
When we lived down south I was convinved someone had been around the back of my house and stealing our coal so I decided to set a trap.

I borrowed a contraption off our local gamekeeper that he used to deter poachers that consisted of a metal spike you stick in the ground and a holder for a twelve boor carteridge.

You set a piece of fishing line accross the entry point and attach it to the pin on the contraption and if someone walk through the fishing line it would fire the carteridge into the ground, thus alerting you and frightening the preverbiel out of the intuder.:eek:

We had it set up all week with no result and we were having a Saurday morning lie in( 9-00am) and forgot we had arranged with our son to come around and help me with a garden prodject.

We heared his car pull up and he walked around the back of house setting off the banger which frightend the life out of us ,upstairs so you can imagine his response.

We heared him shout "YOU PAIR WANT TO GROW UP".
I almost wet the bed with laughter and never did catch an intruder.

pat
11-Jan-09, 13:47
Kevin
Thanks for a great Sunday laugh, I keep smiling at the image of your son.

My imagination is working overtime on the effects of this happening to a person in the middle of the night when they are trying to creep in to acquire something they have no right to and the tears are running down my face with laughter.

I would definitely get out the fishing lines - all over the garden so if they miss one they get caught by others.

Julia
11-Jan-09, 14:43
When we lived down south I was convinved someone had been around the back of my house and stealing our coal so I decided to set a trap.

I borrowed a contraption off our local gamekeeper that he used to deter poachers that consisted of a metal spike you stick in the ground and a holder for a twelve boor carteridge.

You set a piece of fishing line accross the entry point and attach it to the pin on the contraption and if someone walk through the fishing line it would fire the carteridge into the ground, thus alerting you and frightening the preverbiel out of the intuder.:eek:

We had it set up all week with no result and we were having a Saurday morning lie in( 9-00am) and forgot we had arranged with our son to come around and help me with a garden prodject.

We heared his car pull up and he walked around the back of house setting off the banger which frightend the life out of us ,upstairs so you can imagine his response.

We heared him shout "YOU PAIR WANT TO GROW UP".
I almost wet the bed with laughter and never did catch an intruder.

You should have tried your scorrie catching contraption! :lol:

Kevin Milkins
11-Jan-09, 17:17
You should have tried your scorrie catching contraption! :lol:

I could have done Julia, but I never did catch that scorrie:confused poor thing.

butterfly
13-Jan-09, 04:16
slinky,if you read my original post properly you will find it was twice in 6 days not 6 times in as many weeks

Pastychomper
13-Jan-09, 13:48
I found a brilliant little piece of software called yawcam http://www.yawcam.com/ You can just plug any web cam into it and it's really easy to setup so that it auto records if there's any movement around. Might be handy for folk if they keep getting there door handles checked. Just set it in a window and check it in the morning if u hear anything funny during the night.

Great suggestion, I've done the same thing with Motion (http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome). Only problem is my webcam doesn't cope well with poor lighting, but that's nothing a good PIR system can't fix. ;)