PDA

View Full Version : Manners!

ShelleyCowie
07-Jan-09, 20:20
This afternoon i was at a friends house and then as i was leaving just up the road i noticed a man falling so i walked up and asked if he needed help, he said yes! I had my son with me in the pram and put the break on the pram and tried to help the man up! He wouldnt hold on to me but tried to tip my pram so he could sit on it! I was RAGING!

i told him if he never let go of my pram i would not help him! He refused to let go of the pram so i slapped his hand and told him let go! Eventually i managed to pull him up after about 10 minutes for me to realise he was blazing! Smelling of whisky! So then i said thats you up off you go home. He grabbed my arm and wouldnt let go! I had to force his hand off my arm to get him off me.

I thought i was being polite helping but next time i will definetely be more cautious!!! :(

Was i right in hitting his hand? It wasnt hard but just a shove to get him off the pram!

Iffy
07-Jan-09, 20:34
Hi Shelley

You did an admiral thing by trying to help, what you originally thought, was some poor helpless soul who had fallen down !!

But, having said that, you should never put yourself in that position, where you, or your wee boy, could easily have been attacked by a thoughtless drunkard !!!!

If I had been in your position, I would probably have done much, much more than smack his hand, and, as we all know, in this day and age, I would have been the one locked up for assault !!!!

You are obviously a very thoughtful person and it would be such a shame if your concerns for others were to be thwarted by some idiotic drunk person falling on the street in such a state !!!

Don't worry Shelley, just maybe, if that should ever happen again to you, then PLEASE make sure that you have the assistance (and witnesses!!) of passer-bys.

BE PROUD OF YOURSELF!

ShelleyCowie
07-Jan-09, 21:00
Hi Shelley

You did an admiral thing by trying to help, what you originally thought, was some poor helpless soul who had fallen down !!

But, having said that, you should never put yourself in that position, where you, or your wee boy, could easily have been attacked by a thoughtless drunkard !!!!

If I had been in your position, I would probably have done much, much more than smack his hand, and, as we all know, in this day and age, I would have been the one locked up for assault !!!!

You are obviously a very thoughtful person and it would be such a shame if your concerns for others were to be thwarted by some idiotic drunk person falling on the street in such a state !!!

Don't worry Shelley, just maybe, if that should ever happen again to you, then PLEASE make sure that you have the assistance (and witnesses!!) of passer-bys.

BE PROUD OF YOURSELF!

Not to be nasty but i would never have helped him if i knew he was drunk in the first place! But i would not have left him, would phone somebody to help! Would never want other people walking past and kicking him or taking money or anything from him!

I was tempted to do more to him too other than a wee slap on the hand but have my son to think about! :)

I am glad i got the man up on his feet but feel as if he will never realise that somebody helped him and i could have just walked right by!

U are right tho! Next time i will have to really think about putting my son to a safe place or phoning other people!

webmannie
07-Jan-09, 21:01
This afternoon i was at a friends house and then as i was leaving just up the road i noticed a man falling so i walked up and asked if he needed help, he said yes! I had my son with me in the pram and put the break on the pram and tried to help the man up! He wouldnt hold on to me but tried to tip my pram so he could sit on it! I was RAGING!

i told him if he never let go of my pram i would not help him! He refused to let go of the pram so i slapped his hand and told him let go!

At this point you should have walked away, the man could have got aggressive and a small boy could easily have been a doll in his eyes, flung on the road.

Scary thought eh?

ShelleyCowie
07-Jan-09, 21:04
At this point you should have walked away, the man could have got aggressive and a small boy could easily have been a doll in his eyes, flung on the road.

Scary thought eh?

It is scary! But i really never wanted to leave the man as he would have been vulnerable!

I did push the pram out the way of the man after and trust me i had a tight grip of the pram!

I felt awful after at the thought of what "could have" happened! Im just glad it never! :~(

webmannie
07-Jan-09, 21:11
It is scary! But i really never wanted to leave the man as he would have been vulnerable!

I did push the pram out the way of the man after and trust me i had a tight grip of the pram!

I felt awful after at the thought of what "could have" happened! Im just glad it never! :~(

Phew!

If you ever met the man again sober with his wife, would you go up and say to her what you did? I would, imagine his face!!

Iffy
07-Jan-09, 21:15
Not to be nasty but i would never have helped him if i knew he was drunk in the first place! But i would not have left him, would phone somebody to help! Would never want other people walking past and kicking him or taking money or anything from him!

I was tempted to do more to him too other than a wee slap on the hand but have my son to think about! :)

I am glad i got the man up on his feet but feel as if he will never realise that somebody helped him and i could have just walked right by!

U are right tho! Next time i will have to really think about putting my son to a safe place or phoning other people!

Hey Shelley

How on earth could you have known he was drunk in the first place ??!!

All that YOU did was try and help a fellow human being - I STILL stand by what i originally said and that was, that you did a very admirable thing - just please be careful if you want to continue being a good citizen in future eh??

(and I'm STILL PROUD OF YOU LASSIE !!)

Eagleclaw68
07-Jan-09, 21:21
Drunk people are very unpredictable and this person could have done anything, its OK helping someone who you know but unless they are in need of medical assistance or in direct danger, if your really concerned for the persons well being its best calling the police. Being a good samaritan even in Caithness these day's can be risky and dangerous.

A9RUNNER
07-Jan-09, 21:32
It was a nice gesture offering to help but I am afraid as mentioned you have to be careful especially with a small bairn in the pram. I think a swift kick in the nackers would of been in order when he refused to let go of the pram. I think you did well the way you handled things. Just be careful in future.

ShelleyCowie
07-Jan-09, 21:33
I knew he was drunk cos he had an extremelly strong smell of drink and he was slurring words then when on his feet he was not too steady!

In the future i am going to be more wary! I never would have thought doing a good deed would have turned into a situation like that!

But i will still feel bad leaving someone leaving somebody lying there! :confused

A9RUNNER
07-Jan-09, 22:25
A couple of years ago I had to stop my car as a woman was laying down in the middle of the road. I stopped and got out to check she hadnt been the victim of a hit and run or something, only to discover she was paralytic drunk and couldnt stand. With help of another passer by we got her up off of the road and tried to find out what happened and where she was going. We managed to get her to get her mobile phone out and got her husbands number and gleaned eough info from him as to where she lived. He was almost as drunk by the sound of things but was able to give an address so I bundled the woman into the car and took her home. (It was mad friday). When I arrived at the address the bloke was staggering up from the main street and we sort of helped her into the house. Without so much as a thank you the house door was slammed in my face the moment they got into the house. The next day I was in the supermarket doing a bit of shopping and the couple walked past me and didnt even acknowledge me. I can only assume they had absoluteley no recollection of the previous evening or they did and were embarrassed at the state they had been in :lol:

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 00:14
That must have been slightly annoying! U picked the woman off the road and took her home out of yer way! She could have had a serious accident lying on the road! And then they never even acknowledged who u were!

Tell u what i will say thank u for them! Thanks for possibly saving somebodys life! Well done to u! ;)

alanabain
08-Jan-09, 00:27
well shelley i think you did the right thing.

U helped the man from the ground not knowing that he was on the booze.

When you told me the story on the phone i didnt want to think what could have happened to you or my nephew.

You did not know that the situation would turn out like that.

Just think tho... if you did not help the man and he was not drunk, it would probably be him posting on here saying how thoughtless you were for walking away after seeing him fall

Its a no win situation.

Im just glad you and the wee dude is ok

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 00:49
well shelley i think you did the right thing.

U helped the man from the ground not knowing that he was on the booze.

When you told me the story on the phone i didnt want to think what could have happened to you or my nephew.

You did not know that the situation would turn out like that.

Just think tho... if you did not help the man and he was not drunk, it would probably be him posting on here saying how thoughtless you were for walking away after seeing him fall

Its a no win situation.

Im just glad you and the wee dude is ok

Lol thanks alana!

And yea u are probs right! If i never helped im sure we would hear about it! :lol:

Not that many people here would know it was me he was on about tho! But i would lol!

butterfly
08-Jan-09, 00:52
i reckon if the person went near her child a mothers instinct would have kicked in and shellybain would have made mincemeat of him![lol]

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 00:57
i reckon if the person went near her child a mothers instinct would have kicked in and shellybain would have made mincemeat of him![lol]

Hahaha butterfly do u know me?! [lol]

But u are right if he had so much as touched my son in any way or harmed him i wud o kicked the guy right in the nads! There is no way my son can defend himself so i will do it for him! When he is older and i am a wrinked old fart he can do the same for me! :Razz

TBH
08-Jan-09, 01:01

i told him if he never let go of my pram i would not help him! He refused to let go of the pram so i slapped his hand and told him let go! Eventually i managed to pull him up after about 10 minutes for me to realise he was blazing! Smelling of whisky! So then i said thats you up off you go home. He grabbed my arm and wouldnt let go! I had to force his hand off my arm to get him off me.

I thought i was being polite helping but next time i will definetely be more cautious!!! :(

Was i right in hitting his hand? It wasnt hard but just a shove to get him off the pram!
I would have ripped his arm from it's socket.

Julia
08-Jan-09, 01:24
I would have ripped his arm from it's socket.

and then beat him senseless with it, finishing off by arranging his fingers in a rude gesture!

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 01:25
and then beat him senseless with it, finishing off by arranging his fingers in a rude gesture!

LOL! What a good little giggle i had with the comments! Just what i need before bed time! :cool:

Fluff
08-Jan-09, 12:28
I say good on you for helping him, not many people would. Can I just point out though that if someone is diabetic and is having a hyperglycemic attack they can smell like they have been drinking...

I remember when I was little, our next door neighbour was ALWAYS drunk, would have a party to open an envelope type of thing. Once in winter, there was a guy lying outside on the steps not moving. Knowing what the neighbour and visitors were like mum and dad were initially reluctant to help, but he had hit his head and was bleeding. We called an ambulance and just kept an eye from afar. He was totalled on drink but I am still very glad they helped in their own way, no one else did (this was at the top of the day)

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 12:33
I say good on you for helping him, not many people would. Can I just point out though that if someone is diabetic and is having a hyperglycemic attack they can smell like they have been drinking...

I remember when I was little, our next door neighbour was ALWAYS drunk, would have a party to open an envelope type of thing. Once in winter, there was a guy lying outside on the steps not moving. Knowing what the neighbour and visitors were like mum and dad were initially reluctant to help, but he had hit his head and was bleeding. We called an ambulance and just kept an eye from afar. He was totalled on drink but I am still very glad they helped in their own way, no one else did (this was at the top of the day)

Well i am almost certain he was drunk! I have known of a few diabetics before like that too!

I am glad i helped the man! Yes he put my son in danger, but i promptly removed that and helped the man! I was determined. But i refused to walk him to his house! Had him hold on to the wall and i watched him for a bit and was on his way.