PDA

View Full Version : New Wick shop

Fran
07-Jan-09, 16:37
It was very nice to read in todays paper that Jaques Vert Fashions are coming to Wick......but at what cost.
If they are moving into M & Co. (mackays) store upstairs, this must mean that they will do away with their baby/childrens clothes, mens clothes, bedding etc. Surely that will be a big loss for Wick as there are not many places, apart from Tesco, to buy bedding or childrens/mens wear.
Hopefully the Thurso store will retain these items in their store.
I believe Jaques Vert are quite expensive, they have a store in inverness.
What do you all think, will this be good or bad for wick? Is this a sign that M & Co are not doing too well in Wick?

dirdyweeker
07-Jan-09, 17:14
don't have to go to Tesco for bedding, we have a local shop.... Fairways. Come on support the local shops before we loose them all.

newpark
07-Jan-09, 17:15
They have one in Debenhams in Inverness. Old fashioned styled clothes and very very expensive. I dont want it would rather primark for cheap kids clothes or a Matalan for cheap everything. This is my opinion so no slagging for not wanting a shop I won't use.

newpark
07-Jan-09, 17:16
I used to get a lot of stuff from Fairways but there is no selection anymore.

Venture
07-Jan-09, 17:16
I just had a look at their website and even their Sale items seem expensive. I certainly wouldn't buy a jumper at £60 and that's the normal price. With Maronique closing it may well fill the gap and provide for the older generation but I still think the majority of people will look but not buy.

http://www.jacques-vert.co.uk/en-gb/CategoryList/?cid=JCATSCO

Julia
07-Jan-09, 17:19
That's absolutely fantastic news, I'm so glad Jacques Vert is coming to Wick, I've not had much luck find any Fascinators (http://www.jacquesvert.co.uk/en-gb/ProductDetails/?cid=JACCFAS&pid=L1B9205&language=en-GB) in Tesco, only £72 too, my old one is knackered and I've been embarassed not having one to wear when dropping the kids off at school.

Venture
07-Jan-09, 17:23
No, No Julia you would look better in the Tulip Hat and it's only £87.11.

http://www.jacquesvert.co.uk/en-gb/ProductDetails/?cid=JACCFAS&pid=L1B9200&related=L1B9205&language=en-GB

Julia
07-Jan-09, 19:00
Venture have you no fashion sense at all, that tulip hat would clash with my mink classic car coat! Putting the car into the garage tomorrow to have the roof extended upward to accommodate my new Fascinator which matches my mink classic car coat fabulously well.

Torvaig
07-Jan-09, 22:30
What you young trendy things don't realise is that although you like going shopping as a hobby, discard things you think may be going out of fashion or have been seen on you too often, there are "ladies of a certain age" who like well made garments which will last for as long as they want as they would look really daft in todays modern mini styles!

Maybe I, oops, "ladies of a certain age" will now be able to shop locally instead of relying on the internet or going to one of the cities for classic designs and good tailoring. The clothes may be more expensive but they will be used for longer.

We, I mean they, like to look good too.....and that doesn't include clothes from New Look and the likes!

Gizmo
07-Jan-09, 23:02
What you young trendy things don't realise is that although you like going shopping as a hobby, discard things you think may be going out of fashion or have been seen on you too often, there are "ladies of a certain age" who like well made garments which will last for as long as they want as they would look really daft in todays modern mini styles!

Maybe I, oops, "ladies of a certain age" will now be able to shop locally instead of relying on the internet or going to one of the cities for classic designs and good tailoring. The clothes may be more expensive but they will be used for longer.

We, I mean they, like to look good too.....and that doesn't include clothes from New Look and the likes!

Doesn't The Edinburgh Woolen Mill cater for owld biddies?, everytime i pass by there doesn't seem to be anyone younger than the hills inside ;)

newpark
07-Jan-09, 23:51
[QUOTE=Torvaig;479614]What you young trendy things don't realise is that although you like going shopping as a hobby, discard things you think may be going out of fashion or have been seen on you too often, there are "ladies of a certain age" who like well made garments which will last for as long as they want as they would look really daft in todays modern mini styles!

I may be youngish lol but shopping is no hobby. I am a big girl and find shopping rubbish up here. I do most of my shopping in the charity shops and have picked up some lovely things. When they are no longer suitable as currently trying to lose weight I donate them back to the charity shop. Also I have worn the same dress to 4 occasion so far and will be wearing it again for a wedding in Feb. I certainly am not worried about wearing the same thing over and over lol.

I found that it is more a mother of the bride shop than an everyday shop but if you can get clothes you like then thats ace. Happy shopping.

Thought I would just add the view of a charity shop junkie.

Torvaig
08-Jan-09, 00:42
Doesn't The Edinburgh Woolen Mill cater for owld biddies?, everytime i pass by there doesn't seem to be anyone younger than the hills inside ;)

I shall put my nose in the air and treat that remark with the contempt it deserves! :lol:

scorrie
08-Jan-09, 00:52
I don't think Wick is in particular need of a high-priced Clothing Outlet. The sort of items I saw are going to be the occasional purchase only, and it is hard to imagine the place hoachin' all the time. I would think a modest level of staffing would be sufficient and don't see it making any real impact at a time when many people need to think about being more considered about their spending. If this store turns Wick around, I will be happy to eat MY hat but not one of THEIRS, at the prices they charge for one ;)

2little2late
08-Jan-09, 01:01
Oviously they have done their homework. They wouldn't come up to Wick just on the spur of the moment. There are a lot of wealthy pensioners in Caithness so maybe this will be suited to them.

Or they may even do well in the winter when all the oap's spend their winter fuel allowance on their favourite winter coat. [lol] [lol]

Torvaig
08-Jan-09, 01:11
Oviously they have done their homework. They wouldn't come up to Wick just on the spur of the moment. There are a lot of wealthy pensioners in Caithness so maybe this will be suited to them.

Or they may even do well in the winter when all the oap's spend their winter fuel allowance on their favourite winter coat. [lol] [lol]

Right, that's it! I'm not at the stage I get a winter fuel allowance yet but even if I was pensioners are entitled to dress smartly. You would have a lot more to say if we went to New Look for our clothes and came out like mutton dressed as lamb! [disgust]

Aaldtimer
08-Jan-09, 03:58
2l2l..."wealthy pensioners".. now there's an oxymoron if ever I read one!
Include me out of that statement! :roll:

Fran
08-Jan-09, 14:53
I think jacks of keith would have been a better shop as they cater for everyone, but M&Co have jaques vert in all their shops now.It is just a pity they are going into M&Co and not mowats old shop.

jinglejangle
09-Jan-09, 20:17
That's absolutely fantastic news, I'm so glad Jacques Vert is coming to Wick, I've not had much luck find any Fascinators (http://www.jacquesvert.co.uk/en-gb/ProductDetails/?cid=JACCFAS&pid=L1B9205&language=en-GB) in Tesco, only £72 too, my old one is knackered and I've been embarassed not having one to wear when dropping the kids off at school.

they have a bargain on that fascinator now it says:

Price: WAS £77.32 NOW £109.00
I am sure that will tempt people into buying it knowing they can now pay £30+ more!

catran
09-Jan-09, 21:46
2l2l..."wealthy pensioners".. now there's an oxymoron if ever I read one!
Include me out of that statement! :roll:
Well well I have read it all now. I agree with you.Where are the wealthy pensioners in Wick?There might be a few that go cruising and probably will need outfits from posh shops but they are few and far between . I :roll:work at the moment but will become one of those pensioners shortly,certainly not going to be wealthy, in actual fact it is quite scary

bagpuss
10-Jan-09, 00:51
I used to get a lot of stuff from Fairways but there is no selection anymore.

Fairways had a refit back in October when they swapped the big space at the back with Sam. They have a big selection of bedding- some of which is on display in Sam's, and they've got a new curtain ordering service- seven different ranges of curtains and voiles- about the same kind of selection as you get in John Lewis or Debenhams. They also have a very good team of salespeople, who really go out of their way to help. I needed curtains for my house in the south which had to be altered- and they even sent them out to me.

Remember it still belongs to Ernie- and even though he's not there himself, he's still calling the shots

sweetpea
10-Jan-09, 01:52
Where possible I try to shop local but with the closing of Wooilies and others it's becoming harder and harder. If we had a choice I'd like to see either a mini Primark, a decent bookshop where you could browse or a upmarket deli. Somewhere you might feel like spending your hard earned.

Fran
10-Jan-09, 02:29
I enquired in M&Co today and was told it is not definite though the jaques vert person was in the shop and very keen. It would mean the loss of all household things, not childrens wear and mens wear so that's fine.