PDA

View Full Version : Stating the Obvious......

buffy
07-Jan-09, 14:53
This morning I was quite amused when I caught sight of the lable on the side of my bottle of Diet Coke, which reads:

'This 500ml bottle = 2 x 250ml servings'

I was just wondering what other similar statements people have seen on other products....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hibeechick
07-Jan-09, 15:12
On the plane to Canada on a packet of nuts...

"This item may contain Nuts"

....................... erm you think? lol

Connor.
07-Jan-09, 15:28
This is on alot of Tesco products.

*Caution*
May contain traces of nuts
Factory: Nut Free
Recipe: Nut Free

Geo
07-Jan-09, 15:30
On the back of some fishing lures I was bought recently:

a) Clip one end to your reel line and a weight to the other end.

b) Add sea water

:)

hotrod4
07-Jan-09, 15:44
how much exactly is a "trace"?
Always wonder how you define a "trace"?

How about "Caution:Water on Road during rain"
and it makes sense though: "DANGER Risk of serious injury DO NOT cross when train is present"

Connor.
07-Jan-09, 16:01
The nut trace thing is even on bottles of water etc...

Which leads me to wonder if they are putting their nuts in the water before bottling ;);)

Kevin Milkins
07-Jan-09, 16:20
On the plane to Canada on a packet of nuts...

"This item may contain Nuts"

....................... erm you think? lol

On a flight recently they anounced that there was a person on boared with a nut allergy and would not be serving nuts for the duration of the flight to anyone and ask all pasengers that were carrying nuts with them not to open them for the duration of the flight.:confused

I didn't realise that nuts were that dangerous.:eek:

celtic 302
07-Jan-09, 17:15
How about: "This sign has sharp edges". Why would you create a sign to say it has sharp edges? There wouldn't be sharp edges if there was no sign!

buffy
07-Jan-09, 17:17
On a flight recently they anounced that there was a person on boared with a nut allergy and would not be serving nuts for the duration of the flight to anyone and ask all pasengers that were carrying nuts with them not to open them for the duration of the flight.:confused

That does seem a bit OTT...maybe the person had a mega severe form of the allergy or maybe the airline was just being very over cautious...

stewart4364
07-Jan-09, 17:30
It may not exactly be stating the obvious but one I like was on a stick deoderant. It said "remove top and push up bottom" --- They did not warn you about a possible hazard with the corners, it could have been quite painful.

2little2late
07-Jan-09, 18:12
I have often wondered on bottles of Still Water. If it is still water are they expecting the water to change into something else or has it already been something?

fingalmacool
07-Jan-09, 19:47
On the news not more than 10 mins ago, people in Norwich are shocked and stunned at their water freezing, then they showed where the problem was, and low and behold after the water companies raising their prices for the last 15 years to upgrade the system, they have cast iron pipes,,,wait for it ,,,steady,,,, ON TOP OF THE GROUND, A MAIN YES A MAIN ON TOP OF THE GROUND, sorry have said this before, get a grip people, this is 2009.:confused

Fluff
07-Jan-09, 20:26
'do not iron while wearing'

ShelleyCowie
07-Jan-09, 20:34
I saw one "Caution Iron may be hot when on!"

Well DUH! i dont want it cold or an iron would be pointless! :lol:

A9RUNNER
07-Jan-09, 21:43
Thats because you are giving everyone the benefit of a minimum amount of intelligence. These companies have probably been sued in the past when some dumb person burnt themselves on the iron then complained it was not mentioned anywhere that it may get hot.

pirateeye
07-Jan-09, 21:49
paracetamol warnings: contains paracetamol

A9RUNNER
07-Jan-09, 21:51
Do not place live animals in the microwave!!

Torvaig
07-Jan-09, 22:04

Yes, nuts are that dangerous; to anyone with a severe allergy to them they can be fatal if not treated immediately. People who are allergic have to carry a special "pen" with the correct dosage of treatment.

And I mean allergy, not a sensitivity as many people have with various substances.

Kodiak
07-Jan-09, 22:17
My Son received a Packet through the Post and Printed on the Back it said :-

"This Packet May Contain Contents"

Er.. and it did.

Vistravi
07-Jan-09, 23:57

That's taking it too far[disgust] Anyone with this allergy as long as they didn't have anything with nuts in it or may have traces of nuts on it, it's fine. but to make everyone not have any is ridiculous. somone with a nut allergy would actually have to consume some to suffer a alergic reactions. it's not based on smell. geeso so some people are idiots

buffy
08-Jan-09, 00:18
Thats because you are giving everyone the benefit of a minimum amount of intelligence. These companies have probably been sued in the past when some dumb person burnt themselves on the iron then complained it was not mentioned anywhere that it may get hot.

You're not wrong actually, I do recall a case of an american (of course) trying to sue Macdonalds or some such place because they were scalded when they spilled a cup of coffee on themselves. I'm not sure if they receievd a payout (probably settled out of court) but I believe the company in question started putting 'warning; coffee may be hot' labels on....

my answer to that would be 'well i should hope so!'

Torvaig
08-Jan-09, 00:19
That's taking it too far[disgust] Anyone with this allergy as long as they didn't have anything with nuts in it or may have traces of nuts on it, it's fine. but to make everyone not have any is ridiculous. somone with a nut allergy would actually have to consume some to suffer a alergic reactions. it's not based on smell. geeso so some people are idiots

Published by BUPA in July 2008:

"With a very severe nut allergy, you may develop anaphylaxis. This is when the airways from the lungs become swollen and make breathing difficult. There is also likely to be a drop in blood pressure and an increase in heart rate. You may collapse or become unconscious.

If you are severely allergic to nuts or peanuts, your allergy may be triggered just by touching or being near someone who is eating them or has done recently. You may also have a reaction as a result of being in the same room where nuts have been. Using cutlery or crockery that has been contaminated with traces of nuts may also cause an allergic reaction."

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 00:23
Published by BUPA in July 2008:

"With a very severe nut allergy, you may develop anaphylaxis. This is when the airways from the lungs become swollen and make breathing difficult. There is also likely to be a drop in blood pressure and an increase in heart rate. You may collapse or become unconscious.

If you are severely allergic to nuts or peanuts, your allergy may be triggered just by touching or being near someone who is eating them or has done recently. You may also have a reaction as a result of being in the same room where nuts have been. Using cutlery or crockery that has been contaminated with traces of nuts may also cause an allergic reaction."

Jeepers! :eek: Im glad i am no allergic to them! I love cashew nuts! :)

buffy
08-Jan-09, 00:26
Still, its pretty unusual for the air line to take such a strong stand on it isn't it...
I can't say I've ever heard a story like that.

Maybe other places should do the same....or maybe the airline's been sued in the past!

Torvaig
08-Jan-09, 00:31
Still, its pretty unusual for the air line to take such a strong stand on it isn't it...

Maybe other places should do the same....or maybe the airline's been sued in the past!

The airline was informed of a passenger with a severe nut allergy so took appropriate action to make sure no particles were in the cabin......what price a life.....

alanabain
08-Jan-09, 00:35
notice how everything says

" if swallowed seek medical advise "

I have seen this on drawing pin boxes, blue tack, tons.

Obviously no adult would swallow a drawing pin but if a child swallowed one is it not obvious that you would take them to the hospital.

No one is hardly going to let the child suffer.

davem
08-Jan-09, 00:59
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy

Our neighbour died on a plane from nut allergy, when we lived south. The catering company contaminated her nut free meal, she was in her early thirties - really sad so I for one would say that any precautions that help are worth it, however unlikely, when the result is so tragic.
Dave

Julia
08-Jan-09, 01:17

Torvaig is quite right, just being in the same room as nuts or being near someone who has previously eaten nuts is enough for someone with a severe allergy to go into anaphylaxic shock. I've had personal experience of knowing someone with a nut allergy this bad and it's not ridiculous at all. Anaphylaxis is a severe, whole-body allergic reaction which in some cases can cause death.

Torvaig
08-Jan-09, 01:21
Dave and Julia - well said - at least this thread is serving to bring it home to people not in the know just how dangerous allergies can be...

That said, I am enjoying the frivolous obvious.....:)

Aaldtimer
08-Jan-09, 04:05

Remember Buffy that the air in an aircraft is re-cycled through the whole aircraft and that would create the problem.
A sensible precaution I would say. :confused

buffy
08-Jan-09, 08:18
I'm not saying the airline was wrong, reading the medical posts clearly they were right, so we'll go with option 1 then, maybe other places should do the same?

I still liked the one about the packet of nuts that says 'may contain nuts' though! Hehehehehehe.
:D

poppett
08-Jan-09, 10:10
I have a friend in Leicestershire whose sister is sensitive to orange oil. If she is within spraying distance when someone pierces an orange peel she can go into shock. This happened recently when she was visiting her mum in hospital. Luckily she was in the right place to be treated.

Bazeye
08-Jan-09, 15:38
Sleeping tablets. May cause drowsiness.

buffy
08-Jan-09, 15:57
Sleeping tablets. May cause drowsiness.

Lol good one.
This isn't a stating the obvious thing but have you ever had pills on prescription and read the leaflet inside listing the side effects??
I've had a few where it lists death as one!! lol. The pills weren't even for anything major! :eek:

rockchick
08-Jan-09, 16:41
The airline was informed of a passenger with a severe nut allergy so took appropriate action to make sure no particles were in the cabin......what price a life.....

More likely the cost (to the airline) of having to make an emergency landing should the person go into anaphalctic shock! The treatment mentioned earlier, an Epi-Pen, only gives the patient about an extra 15 minutes before they require urgent medical attention.

scorrie
08-Jan-09, 22:43
I bought a sofa a few years ago, it came with an A3 sized folded page of instructions. The entire page was blank except for one line, which read:-

"Instructions for use:- 1) Remove polythene wrapper 2) Sit on furniture"

Sadly, I mixed up the instructions and discarded the sofa. I have been sitting on the polythene ever since and convincing people it is the latest minimalist look fresh in from Japan.

Julia
08-Jan-09, 23:39
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa296/jmbudge/729-funny-instructions.jpg

celtic 302
09-Jan-09, 01:26

You sure that isn't: "How to check if your baby is a hand puppet or not?"

George Brims
09-Jan-09, 01:32
You're not wrong actually, I do recall a case of an american (of course) trying to sue Macdonalds or some such place because they were scalded when they spilled a cup of coffee on themselves. I'm not sure if they receievd a payout (probably settled out of court) but I believe the company in question started putting 'warning; coffee may be hot' labels on....

my answer to that would be 'well i should hope so!'

This case gets a lot of attention as an example of a silly lawsuit. However the facts are that:
(1) that particular McDonalds had had numerous complaints before about the temperature of the coffee, including documented injuries to other customers
(2) you don't need to keep coffee that hot - it spoils the taste anyway
(3) the lady received third degree burns to her thighs and groin area, requiring skin grafts (owweeee!)
(4) the damages were reduced on the grounds she did drop it on herself (in the passenger seat of a car)

The nice side effect of this case is restaurants in the US don't overheat their coffee any more, so it tastes decent for longer. Most McDonalds now serve coffee from Newman's Own, Paul Newman's company that raises millions for charity. Not bad stuff. The burgers are still rubbish though.

sassylass
09-Jan-09, 04:04
Remember Buffy that the air in an aircraft is re-cycled through the whole aircraft and that would create the problem.
A sensible precaution I would say. :confused

True, allergies are nothing to take lightly. I once knew a student who was allergic to latex and even though he was careful to stand back during an experiment using (latex) balloons, the air escaping the balloons was enough to cause him a reaction. Before my very eyes, his lips and face swelled until he couldn't open his eyes, it was quite alarming.

hotrod4
09-Jan-09, 06:14
True, allergies are nothing to take lightly. I once knew a student who was allergic to latex and even though he was careful to stand back during an experiment using (latex) balloons, the air escaping the balloons was enough to cause him a reaction. Before my very eyes, his lips and face swelled until he couldn't open his eyes, it was quite alarming.
He would have a good excuse if his partner became preganant then!
I suppose he could be "Medically exempt" from precautions!![lol]

scorrie
09-Jan-09, 16:09

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the limb in the "No" picture has turned from an arm into a leg?

scorrie
09-Jan-09, 16:12

Caption Competition:-

Scotland Manager George Burley resorts to desperate measures in his search for better players for the national team!!