PDA

View Full Version : Help - electrical - smoke detectors

pat
06-Jan-09, 12:48
Have smoke detectors wired into electricity but they started 'chirping' last night - any advice as to how to stop this or what was causing it to suddenly start occurring and rectify problem.
I thought it was only the battery type that 'chirped' when battery was getting low.

footie chick
06-Jan-09, 12:52
Mine are electrical too but they have a battery back up sounds like it needs a new battery.

dragonfly
06-Jan-09, 13:08
yep, it will be the back up battery needing replacing

Bad Manners
06-Jan-09, 14:28
It maybe a fault in the wiring or it maybe the back up battery is failing either way you will have to have it checked out it also depends how old it is and sometimes they are affected by an accumulation of dust.
better safe than sorry have it checked as soon as

braalterr903
06-Jan-09, 14:37
yes that has happened to mine to its the battery

dirdyweeker
06-Jan-09, 15:42
Well Pat, unless you have a wee birdie in nesting for the winter it looks like you well need to buy a new battery. It has a back up battery in case of power cuts.

pat
06-Jan-09, 15:44
Many thanks to all who replied.

Have replaced all batteries in the three alarms and they have stopped chirping - will get it checked out by electrician in next couple of days to ensure everything safe and working correctly.
Electricians very busy with emergency work from over the festive period and will call when has free time to check system.

Buttercup
06-Jan-09, 15:54
Mine kept going off for no apparent reason even a new battery made no difference, was forced to disconnect it. Had an electrician check and discovered it was knackered. Next the ustairs one started ~ at 5.30am! [mad] It had no battery back up and when it refused to shut up, just disconnected it before it woke up the whole street. They'd simply reached the end of their life.