PDA

View Full Version : More spots??

Dadie
05-Jan-09, 09:49
Lauren got the chicken pox at Christmas.
Iona has woken up this morning with a blister like spot on her forehead but no other spots anywhere should I resign myself to a few days in the house now or go out and hope for the best!

I thought the spots usually start on the chest/tummy/armpit/groin area not on the top of the head.

Kathy@watten
05-Jan-09, 09:57
LOL Hamish got his first pox on his forehead and face then they progressed down his torso and took over his whole body...think you best stay indoors..oh happy new year! we have nearly got over all our bugs now and there is only a few pox marks left on Hamish now been a crappy month we have had sick bug, colds and fluish turn,the pox ofcourse,nits and then the cherry on the top of the pile of yuckness was Hamish then got worms and we all had to be treated.....the joys!

Dadie
05-Jan-09, 10:01
Yep thats why we have avoided you lot over Christmas and new year!

Can cope with spots and snots but not keen on trying out nits and worms (yet)thanks!

ShelleyCowie
05-Jan-09, 10:29
I still have a scar on my forehead from a chicken pox i scratched so vigerously!! That was about 15 years ago! :confused Still very visable!

Dadie
05-Jan-09, 10:55
I know they spread all over but I thought they started on the torso....I have a scar on my chest from 1 I picked.

router
05-Jan-09, 11:14
chicken spots can start anywhere and are highly contagious until all scabs have cleared up, so non advisable to be entering out.

we had all the kids down within a week of the first getting it and it affected different parts of the body.

mums angels
05-Jan-09, 13:01
chicken spots can start anywhere and are highly contagious until all scabs have cleared up, so non advisable to be entering out.

we had all the kids down within a week of the first getting it and it affected different parts of the body.

My doctor told me with all of mine that chicken pox is at its most contagious 2 days before the outbreak of spots and only usualy only contagious with spots on direct contact. They are allowed back to school when they have scabed over ... but so many rumours about the pox i just don't know what to go on these days , just recently i was told if a baby got them in the first year they can get them again ..hope not as my little one got them at the moment

she got her first spot just above the lip then on the neck , both my boys got first on back then my eldest got her first on top of her leg so i guess they can just pop up anywhere

teenybash
05-Jan-09, 16:45
Saw a poor little chappy in Teso yesterday, absolutely covered in chickenpox......he looked so poorly and uncomfortable.:(

Dadie
05-Jan-09, 16:52
Still only 1 spot on Iona.

If im still not sure I will make an appointment at the docs tommorrow that way I will know whether I am a paranoid mum (completely stripping her at every nappy change looking for more spots)or not and its just a bog standard plook:lol:

ett23
05-Jan-09, 23:01
My doctor told me with all of mine that chicken pox is at its most contagious 2 days before the outbreak of spots and only usualy only contagious with spots on direct contact. They are allowed back to school when they have scabed over ... but so many rumours about the pox i just don't know what to go on these days , just recently i was told if a baby got them in the first year they can get them again ..hope not as my little one got them at the moment

she got her first spot just above the lip then on the neck , both my boys got first on back then my eldest got her first on top of her leg so i guess they can just pop up anywhere

Most people say once you've had chicken pox once you're immune for life but I've known several people have it more than once and my brother had it 3 times - twice as an adult. I met a lady today who must be in her late 30s and she's got it!! It's often really unpleasant to catch as an adult - my brother was ill with it the best part of 2 weeks - and I mean in bed ill!

Dadie
06-Jan-09, 14:12
Def chicken pox!
Have resorted to socks over Ionas hands to stop her scratching they are better than scratch mittens as they are longer and go further up the arms so they are harder to pull off, but it looks a bit silly!

chaz
06-Jan-09, 14:36
My little one started also with just a couple of spots on her forhead,but soon spread mainly on her face and chest.Bicarbonate of soda in a warm bath helped my lot with the usual calomine lotion ect,
Hope shes better soon,xx

ashaw1
07-Jan-09, 13:12
just recently i was told if a baby got them in the first year they can get them again

I was told this too! My son had it when he was 3 weeks old and it was very mild. He is now 2 and hasn't had them again yet. No doubt that pleasure is still to come!

I didn't get them till i was 18!

Vistravi
11-Jan-09, 21:00
Chicken pox can also kill a baby. There was a story in a newspaper bout a baby boy who died from them. If at all possible avoid letting your babies near other children with chicken pox.

mums angels
11-Jan-09, 22:06
Chicken pox can also kill a baby. There was a story in a newspaper bout a baby boy who died from them. If at all possible avoid letting your babies near other children with chicken pox.

Yes people of ALL ages can die of the chicken pox but its about 1 in a million chance and unfortunatly by the time we know that someone has got the chicken pox its already too late your child has already been in contact with the virus.

Dadie
11-Jan-09, 22:09
Its also very hard to keep siblings apart ... by the time 1 child has spots they have been infectious already and will gladly share it around the family:lol:

Gizmo
11-Jan-09, 23:10
I vividly remember having Chicken Pox as a kid, canne mind the year but it was when i was in primary school and i got them on the first day of the school summer holidays...two whole weeks oh itchin n'scratchin and covered in calomine lotion...not a fond memory at all :(

toodiemac
12-Jan-09, 00:01

People can also die from complications arising from the common cold, but we don't panic about it because it's such a miniscule risk. I did read the article about the baby who died from chickenpox, and it's beyond comprehension how those parents must feel, to lose their precious baby to such a "benign" disease. However the risk of that happening is so tiny and chickenpox is a mild (though uncomfortable) disease which is much better to get in childhood than as an adult.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but chickenpox is creeping into the media more and more at the moment - could it be because they are thinking of adding the chickenpox vaccine in with the MMR?

kas
12-Jan-09, 00:09
just recently i was told if a baby got them in the first year they can get them again

I was told this too! My son had it when he was 3 weeks old and it was very mild. He is now 2 and hasn't had them again yet. No doubt that pleasure is still to come!

I didn't get them till i was 18!

He will get them again, my son had them in his first few months and got them again when he was four.

I had no idea it could strike so quickly though, as on the Friday evening I noticed a spot in his inner thigh when I was bathing him. Next morning we got up early for his first ever train journey to Inverness and he was so excited. He got on the train full of beans running around driving me mad, by the time we arrived in Inverness he was covered in spots and had a roaring temp. Some people I knew saw us getting on the train, then they stared in amazment when they saw me again in Inverness with a spoty carcass in my arms. They sure can come out quick.

balto
12-Jan-09, 00:20
my 8 year old had them when she was 6 months, and so far she hasnt had them again, even though she has been in contact with other kids with it, hope she doesnt get it this time round as i have a 6 weeks old and a 2 year old aswell.

hotrod4
12-Jan-09, 06:28
Have noticed that alot of internet user swear by Puriton (anti histamine) and also to use potions designed for eczema as this stops the skin drying out. I suffer from dry skin and have to moisturise every day, its very tedious but it does cure the itch,which can be infuriating so you have my sympathies!!!