PDA

View Full Version : Drink.

TRUCKER
05-Jan-09, 09:49
I see that wetherspoons is lowering the price of some beers and bottled lagers down to 99p

Metalattakk
05-Jan-09, 11:38
I see 'Spoons getting some free advertising. :lol:

TRUCKER
05-Jan-09, 15:35
No they are not i was just making a point. But it is wrong to be selling drink that cheap.

changilass
05-Jan-09, 15:38
Why is it wrong to sell something at that price. The only ones in the wrong are the ones that make pigs of themselves and spoil it for the rest of us.

speedo215
05-Jan-09, 16:48
i think it is wrong that wetherspoons are selling lager this cheap, are we not as a nation trying to cut back on binge drinking by getting rid of happy hours etc? i feel by having drink this cheap it will encourage people to buy more and not hlep the problem of binge drinking

changilass
05-Jan-09, 17:12
Why should I have to pay more just cos someone else can't handle their drink, if folks don't get their drink from Spoons there are plenty of other places you can buy it from even cheeper.

I still don't see why the majority have to suffer for the minority. Deal with the folks with the problem. Spoons aint dragging folks in off the street with their arms bent up their backs.

percy toboggan
05-Jan-09, 18:29
No they are not i was just making a point. But it is wrong to be selling drink that cheap.

Nonsense.
You can buy it for a similar price in supermarkets - staying in and supping cans at home. This encourages people to get out and mix at an affordable price. Not everyone has to get bladdered you know. If bar-staff are responsible they will weed out the inebriate.

First you suggest a satellite should drive my car and now you propose to artificially inflate the price of Ale when a decent pub chain reckons it can live with 99p. per pint!!

Whatever next?

weeboyagee
05-Jan-09, 21:39
Responsible drinking - responsible driving - the world would be a better place for both eh?

WBG :cool:

dook
05-Jan-09, 23:16
Why should I have to pay more just cos someone else can't handle their drink, if folks don't get their drink from Spoons there are plenty of other places you can buy it from even cheeper.

I still don't see why the majority have to suffer for the minority. Deal with the folks with the problem. Spoons aint dragging folks in off the street with their arms bent up their backs.

Spoons aren't dragging folks in off the streets?? Oh thanks. That's another excuse I can't give the wife.

Kirdon
05-Jan-09, 23:22
Nonsense.
You can buy it for a similar price in supermarkets - staying in and supping cans at home. This encourages people to get out and mix at an affordable price. Not everyone has to get bladdered you know. If bar-staff are responsible they will weed out the inebriate.

First you suggest a satellite should drive my car and now you propose to artificially inflate the price of Ale when a decent pub chain reckons it can live with 99p. per pint!!

Whatever next?

Well said!!!!!!!

Metalattakk
05-Jan-09, 23:25
I see that wetherspoons is lowering the price of some beers and bottled lagers down to 99p

I see 'Spoons getting some free advertising. :lol:

Well thanks to you, I now know about this wonderful offer. If you hadn't have posted your ambiguous statement, this wouldn't have happened.

So, my original supposition stands.

And secondly, if you think that's cheap for strong drink, you obviously haven't heard of Buckfast or White Lightning cider, or even bottles of 14% wine for £1.99 in Tescos.

Time to had yer wheesht, eh? :roll:

dogman
06-Jan-09, 01:03
i think it is wrong that wetherspoons are selling lager this cheap, are we not as a nation trying to cut back on binge drinking by getting rid of happy hours etc? i feel by having drink this cheap it will encourage people to buy more and not hlep the problem of binge drinking

i think it is good that spoons are selling lager this cheap. nothing wrong with paying less for something that has always been overpriced. cant see why it would encourage people to drink more. some people are always going to get blootered, regardless of price.

this nation is also trying cut out obesity, should the price of junk food be raised?
this nation is also trying to reduce the carbon footprint, should the falling price of fuel be raised again?

more low prices please!

Kevin Milkins
06-Jan-09, 01:18
i think it is good that spoons are selling lager this cheap. nothing wrong with paying less for something that has always been overpriced. cant see why it would encourage people to drink more. some people are always going to get blootered, regardless of price.

this nation is also trying cut out obesity, should the price of junk food be raised?
this nation is also trying to reduce the carbon footprint, should the falling price of fuel be raised again?

more low prices please!

I'll drink to that,//hic,. chuck a bacon sarnie on luv and put some more coal on the fire.;)

ar1ling
06-Jan-09, 01:30
excellent post!and i like to add responsible drinking, the world would be more peaceful because less drunkies:D

Responsible drinking - responsible driving - the world would be a better place for both eh?

A9RUNNER
06-Jan-09, 02:18
Cheep drink doesn't mean binge drinking I have several crates of beer from tescos when they had a special offer on about 2 months ago, 90% of it is still to be drunk and that is after the festive period. And as for advertising I have seen the papers talking about the 99p pint for days now. It wont make me rush out and get drunk any more than if it were 50p or £5 a pint if I want one I will have one if I want ten I will have ten. Nothing to do with the price. Only idiots will rush out and make pigs of themselves just because it is cheap. A stinking hangover doesnt worry how much it has cost.

scorrie
06-Jan-09, 03:06
Pub drink has been far too expensive, in relation to supermarket drink, for some time now. That has led to a culture of both home and outdoor drinking. It is simply far cheaper to get a supermarket carry out.

Drink IS too cheap overall however. A 99p Pub pint is still a rip off, compared to Tesco Tennents Lager deals that work out at 33p per can. Drinkers can obviously get "slaughtered" at a rate of £10 for 30 tins, when a pub would only supply 10 pints for the same money, even assuming the drop to 99p a pint from what has been more than £2 a pop for some time.

Despite all the pish about "buying as much as I want, even if it's a fiver a pint", even a simpleton can work out that most people don't have a bottomless pit of money to buy drink. I have watched "Winos" very closely for years and the common denominator has always been:-

"How much drink can we get for the money we have?"

The UK is awash with alcohol and the irony is that most of those wittering on about how it is "other people", "greedy pigs", "the minority" that are to blame for the problems, it is millions of people who are relying on alcohol heavily and WE are ALL picking up the bill, through taxes, for those direct, and indirect, problems generated. I challenge the UK to function SOBER for one week!! One man's eight pints is another man's Prozac.

Nivelo
06-Jan-09, 13:18
For a start it is not a pint of lager. The only pint going to that price is Duchers IPA Ale. And the only lager going to 99p is a bottle of San Miguel.
If someone has been having too much then unlike being at home where you can get alot more stronger drinks for cheeper then they will have there tap stopped and asked to leave.
Bar staff have it drummed into them. And if they don't put up with drunk people on a busy Sat night then there's no way they will put up with someone drunk during the week.

kitty kat
06-Jan-09, 13:30
For a start it is not a pint of lager. The only pint going to that price is Duchers IPA Ale. And the only lager going to 99p is a bottle of San Miguel.
If someone has been having too much then unlike being at home where you can get alot more stronger drinks for cheeper then they will have there tap stopped and asked to leave.
Bar staff have it drummed into them. And if they don't put up with drunk people on a busy Sat night then there's no way they will put up with someone drunk during the week.

that is a really good point just cause its cheaper than usually does not mean the bar staff will put up with over indulgence, they are also lowering there food, not only a place for drink but a good place to take oh for a meal and it wont cost you the earth...

A9RUNNER
06-Jan-09, 17:10
Nice too see you think I am a simpleton Scorrie. I am not a Whino so I do not need to get the maximum bang for my £. If I want a pint and it costs £5 I will buy it. If I dont have £5 spare I wont buy it. However going on the assumption I do have a spare £5 to spend in the pub I would not go and buy 5 bottles of San Migeul or Deuchars IPA, I dont like either. I will buy a drink that I will enjoy drinking. If I want to drink 5 beers for minumum cost I can go drink one of my tescos 33pence tins of tennants.

scorrie
07-Jan-09, 00:08
Nice too see you think I am a simpleton Scorrie. I am not a Whino so I do not need to get the maximum bang for my £. If I want a pint and it costs £5 I will buy it. If I dont have £5 spare I wont buy it. However going on the assumption I do have a spare £5 to spend in the pub I would not go and buy 5 bottles of San Migeul or Deuchars IPA, I dont like either. I will buy a drink that I will enjoy drinking. If I want to drink 5 beers for minumum cost I can go drink one of my tescos 33pence tins of tennants.

I am not saying you ARE a "Whino" However, your notion that everyone who drinks has YOUR philosophy towards alcohol consumption, is naive in the extreme. Many people in the UK have a drink problem and under-age drinking is rife. Kids can far more easily club together the price of an illicit carry out, via older pals, if the going rate is 33p a pop, compared to a fiver a pint. My daughter is 13, and quite a surprising number of her peers are already drinking every weekend. When alcohol is cheaper than fanta, that would seem to be a serious problem in the making. I have watched several of my former schoolmates die in their early 40's due to alcohol abuse, I also know of others who are still alive but who have ruined their lives. There is a very fine line between enjoying a good bucket on a regular basis and the situation where you feel like, and are able to afford, drink EVERY night without straining the finances. Cheaper drink narrows that gap still further. A pint of lager was 35p when I bought my first drink some 30 years ago. The fact that I can buy a tinnie for less than that now is astonishing. For comparison, the price of a can of Coke has multiplied fivefold over the same period.

Since you got your "Round" in via the feedback system, it is only sociable for me to return the favour. Slainte Mhath!!

changilass
07-Jan-09, 00:18
Putting up the prices in pubs aint gonna stop binge drinking so what is the point in making folks pay through the nose just so folks can say 'look aint we clever'.

If you want cheap booze all you have to do is brew your own, which my father did when we were young. All that 'free' booze about and not one of us turned into an alcoholic or a binge drinker.

I know not everyone has the same view of alcohol as myself, but the other side of that coin is that not everyone has athe same view as the problem drinker so why shove us all in the same club.

Julia
07-Jan-09, 00:28

Suddenly I fancy a pint ;)

Kevin Milkins
07-Jan-09, 00:42
Suddenly I fancy a pint ;)

And to think I drunk a shed poad of IPA last Saturday, and now they drop the price.:confused

Can we have next years orger's Christmas night out for the second week in January please.:roll:

scorrie
07-Jan-09, 00:49
Putting up the prices in pubs aint gonna stop binge drinking so what is the point in making folks pay through the nose just so folks can say 'look aint we clever'.

If you want cheap booze all you have to do is brew your own, which my father did when we were young. All that 'free' booze about and not one of us turned into an alcoholic or a binge drinker.

I know not everyone has the same view of alcohol as myself, but the other side of that coin is that not everyone has athe same view as the problem drinker so why shove us all in the same club.

Times have moved on, society has changed greatly and young people NOT drinking are probably very much in the minority now. I would question whether you could actually brew your own beer as cheaply as 33p a can, in any case any home brew I have ever tasted has been like horse's waste water!! Cheap Alcopops are much more likely to be seen in the hands of "nippers" than a pint of "Old Father Plastic Barrels Equine Heavy" as well.

I don't think anyone is trying to lump ALL drinkers into the same glass. I take a drink myself and most of the adult population also do. I worry that drink is now so cheap that I could afford to drink every night of the week, even though I am currently unable to work and not earning a wage. There are many problem drinkers in the country and many more who remain away from the public gaze. This costs the NHS a fortune every year and I am sure the money could be spent battling other problems.