PDA

View Full Version : Young people and the community

rfr10
01-Feb-06, 21:38
Do you think there is enough activities and things for young people to do in the local community? If not, please give details on what you would like to see happen to make the place better. Please be serious because the information you give will be used in a presentation for the Big Lottery Fund.

Saveman
01-Feb-06, 21:44
I'll like to see an indoor 5-a-side football pitch available up to 10pm......maybe just a dedicated leisure centre...

gleeber
01-Feb-06, 21:46
I would like to see what young people want what they really really want. Why ask us old timers? You guys are the ones moaning about nothing to do. What do you want to do?

erli
01-Feb-06, 21:57
I think there are plenty of activies in this town, my eldest is 11 and goes to swimming, music lessons, dancing, a church youth club and something we call, 'The Tuesday Club', my eight year old plays football and there are lots of sporting activites on offer each week in the town. I spend nearly every night of the week running my kids to something or other.

rfr10
01-Feb-06, 22:02
I go swimming, music lessons and scouts but I still think that it could be a lot better. I know it's not a city but there are lots more things that could be done to brighten the place up a bit

connieb19
01-Feb-06, 22:02
I go swimming, music lessons and scouts but I still think that there could be a lot better. I know it's not a city but there are lots more things that could be done to brighten the place up a bitSuch as....??

rfr10
01-Feb-06, 22:06
I'd be here all night if I went through them all.

zebedy
01-Feb-06, 22:09
I'm hang down the town all the time.. and out gang always gets moved on for doing nothing at all!.....

Theres nowere to go these days...

We al hang out at night times... Like any normal teenager!!

can u name one place were we can go?:confused:

rfr10
01-Feb-06, 22:13
A Youth Cafe may be an idea that might happen. Would you use it? I have questionnaires for people to fill in, so if you want one, please let me know. What sort of things would you like to see happen to make Caithness a better place for young people. I will take a note of all your ideas.

erli
01-Feb-06, 22:18
Is this not the very reason we have youth clubs, to give the young folk a place to hang out, they have playstations, computers, pool, air hockey, footy and lots more.

krieve
01-Feb-06, 22:22
Yes no where to go these days and there was no where to go when i was a teenager not a night anyway.

connieb19
01-Feb-06, 22:23
Maybe they could start off by walking home after school to pass a bit of time..I can't believe how many parents/grandparents wait outside the school to pick the kids up. When I was at school I wouldn't have been seen dead getting picked up by my mum, never mind my granny!![smirk]

krieve
01-Feb-06, 22:30
Maybe they could start off by walking home after school to pass a bit of time..I can't believe how many parents/grandparents wait outside the school to pick the kids up. When I was at school I wouldn't have been seen dead getting picked up by my mum, never mind my granny!![smirk]
I would have walked home but it would have taken agood few hours lol there is no way i would have let my mum pick me up lol

zebedy
01-Feb-06, 22:32
The cafe * hang out place * sounds really cool...

But opening hours would be late for the kids stay out late...

But sumwere to hang out would be really cool...

i know my gang wud use it... and it wud save us being moved on all the time!

connieb19
01-Feb-06, 22:35
Whats wrong with the bowling alley and cinema in Thurso..Why don't you hang out there???:confused: At least Thurso has somewhere..

zebedy
01-Feb-06, 22:35
Weve tried the bowling ally....

We got chucked out for hanging out...

They said if ure not buying food or playing bowls!

GET OUT!

connieb19
01-Feb-06, 22:38
Weve tried the bowling ally....

We got chucked out for hanging out...

They said if ure not buying food or playing bowls!

GET OUT!Really ..i didn't realise that..what a pity!! Not much point in building a place like that in Wick then if the kids can't hang out there..:cry:

Rheghead
01-Feb-06, 22:42
Whatever happened to the roller boarding and efforts to get paint balling? Did they die a death? Do kids nowadays not read anymore? What about fishing? Birdwatching? Painting and drawing? Collecting stuff. Then there is football and cricket in the summer. Photography? What about going swimming? The cinema? I could go on and on with suggestions.

rfr10
01-Feb-06, 22:43
The cafe * hang out place * sounds really cool...

But opening hours would be late for the kids stay out late...

But sumwere to hang out would be really cool...

i know my gang wud use it... and it wud save us being moved on all the time!

If there was to be a youth cafe, there would be adults in charge of it and there would probably be people similar to "bouncers" at pubs to chuck anyone out that is mis behaving

rfr10
01-Feb-06, 22:45
Is there anyone out there who would be able to fill out a questionnaire?

JAWS
01-Feb-06, 22:48
Poor kids, everybody wants to organise them.
The group I was with when I was in my teen would have run a mile if somebody had tried to 'organise' us. And no we weren't troublemakers, full of devilment maybe, but no trouble.
We'd get moved on, just for being there, but we just moved on to somewhere else until the same happened again.

I've seen the youngsters in Wick just sitting round, chatting and just enjoying being with their pals. I've also felt sorry when it's been raining or freezing cold.
I suspect some sort of Drop-in place where they were out of the weather might do some good. I'm sure that they could make some suggestions as to what they would like to have in it.

We used to be happy with something to play music on, a table tennis table, a Badminton net with the court painted on the rough wood floor and one or two other odds and ends. OK, kids nowadays might want different things but I'm sure they would be happy with things that are just as easily provided.
Are there any paved areas where they can run and lark about without there being houses where their noise will disturb people.

Come on you youngsters. throw some ideas out and give us a clue. If you don't ask then you never get and the worst that can happen is the answer might be "No". We stopped flogging people long ago!

wickerinca
01-Feb-06, 22:49
This moan has been going on since I was a teenager...and I have to admit that wasn't yesterday. We did have the Youth Club in the BB Hall and then the Assembly Rooms before the Building in Lower Dunbar Street was built.........but we still complained that there was nowhere to go and nothing to do!!! I just think that we had to amuse ourselves a bit more also as there wasn't computers, playstations, whatever!!!...........and yes!! I did hang round the street corners!!:D

elaine
01-Feb-06, 22:54
A youth cafe type thing sounds like a great idea - a central meeting point which is undercover and relaxed - a place to chill with your mates.
I have visions of comfy sofas, bean bags, a coffee bar, t.v., music, internet, games consoles, pool tables and maybe even a wee dancefloor area!
Hey, the young bands in the area could do gigs there!

It could have different themes of music on different nights:
Monday - Rock night
Tuesday - Dance night
Wednesday - Chill Out night etc

Oh man, I'm getting carried away now!
Other ideas: LaserQuest, paintballing, kart-racing track, a gym hall
It's a shame all of these things cost so much eh?

rfr10
01-Feb-06, 22:55
might do some good. I'm sure that they could make some suggestions as to what they would like to have in it. Well, thats what part of the questionnaire asks so if anyone would like to make any suggestions, let me know. Thanks

rfr10
01-Feb-06, 22:56
A youth cafe type thing sounds like a great idea - a central meeting point which is undercover and relaxed - a place to chill with your mates.
I have visions of comfy sofas, bean bags, a coffee bar, t.v., music, internet, games consoles, pool tables and maybe even a wee dancefloor area!

Monday - Rock night
Tuesday - Dance night

Paintballing will be starting up soon in the near future.

Rheghead
01-Feb-06, 23:04
The concept of the 'teenager' is a marketing scam conjured out of the 1960s. It was created in the early 1960s by nothern English clothing and record companies thus a popular sub culture was born to maximise profits for a struggling post war capitalist movement. Previous to that, young people were prepared for adulthood via a direct means from childhood by the delegation of responsibility. Nowadays they are to spend some time basically in biological limbo both mentally and physically, spending money and basically creating an identity for themselves which hadn't existed before 1960. They are caught up in a 'pop matrix' world until they drop out the otherside with a bang at ~21 years of age.

They are under the illusion that they have the right to freedom of thought and expression but they didn't have it in the first place because they are being manipulated by forces out of their control, it is all designed to perpetuate the pop industry marketing strategies and line the pockets of fat cats.

wickerinca
01-Feb-06, 23:05

Monday - Rock night
Tuesday - Dance night

That was what the Youth Club in Wick was like in the very early 70's. We would all go and hang out there and play basketball and just 'chill' It was great fun and there were discos held on a fairly regular basis. Some of the young bands would even be allowed to play at them sometimes. It was really good and the Youth Leaders were great.....they were trained social workers and they were really good at listening to the teenage angst!!!

Loafer
01-Feb-06, 23:07
When I was a bairn (not that many moons ago) we were happy with a game of football, even till it was too dark to see the ball. If not, we amused ourselves with other things. This included "kerby" and the good old "hid & seek" When I got a bit older I loved cycling and doing wee bits of joinery and pottering about with the workings of my bike. I never needed fancy video games and coffee bars. What a load of nonsense!! I certainly had better things to do than go hanging about in the precinct annoying the natives.

What you youngsters need is a bit of thought into using your time. Give it some imagination!!

The Loafer

wickerinca
01-Feb-06, 23:12
The concept of the 'teenager' is a marketing scam conjured out of the 1960s. It was created in the early 1960s by nothern English clothing and record companies thus a popular sub culture was born to maximise profits for a struggling post war capitalist movement. Previous to that, young people were prepared for adulthood via a direct means from childhood by the delegation of responsibility. Nowadays they are to spend some time basically in biological limbo both mentally and physically, spending money and basically creating an identity for themselves which hadn't existed before 1960. They are caught up in a 'pop matrix' world until they drop out the otherside with a bang at ~21 years of age.

They are under the illusion that they have the right to freedom of thought and expression but they don't have it in the first place because they are being manipulated by forces out of their control, it is all designed to perpetuate the pop industry marketing strategies and line the pockets of fat cats.

How true Rheghead.....but try telling a teenager that!!:lol:

zebedy
01-Feb-06, 23:52
I seem to be the teenager here talking so...

Giving out topics for us todo is good but to be honest!

We go down town to get out and just sit and have a laugh with out frinds thats all... Were all lazy bums.. We go down... To chill to hang out as mates!

Could I fill out a questionair... Pm if so!

smith2585
02-Feb-06, 00:46
well i think eveything is alot of money eg bowling and cinema n things u cant go there most nights u no.

i think whats needed is just a place to hang out wi music sofas and a few oter things to entertain sum

but there will have to be ppl there to be in charge watch everythin is gettin tidyed etc so most ppl wont wanna go if the ppl in charge r gurny or woteva
get ma point

Loafer
02-Feb-06, 08:12
well i think eveything is alot of money eg bowling and cinema n things u cant go there most nights u no.

i think whats needed is just a place to hang out wi music sofas and a few oter things to entertain sum

but there will have to be ppl there to be in charge watch everythin is gettin tidyed etc so most ppl wont wanna go if the ppl in charge r gurny or woteva
get ma point

Can you not speak English? I don't have a clue what language you are speaking!!

The Loafer

Loafer
02-Feb-06, 08:13

get ma point

Can you not speak English? I don't have a clue what language you are speaking!!

The Loafer

Loafer
02-Feb-06, 08:15

get ma point

What language are you speaking? I don't have a clue what you are on about??!!

The Loafer

squidge
02-Feb-06, 10:47
Teenagers simply want to hang out with their mates. A place to allow them to do that would be good however they will still hang around street corners cos thats what kids do - they want to be out of the way of adults to talk about things that they want to talk about. You will find many times they will simply wander around just to get out of our way and rightly so too.

to say teenagers are simply a product of the pop culture is maybe true but we are stuck with them it seems. I like them - they are funny and smart and sharp as anything.

cuddlepop
02-Feb-06, 16:14
Youth cafes are brilliant,they can give the kids back a sense of community and ownership.:o)
If the kids organise themselves responsibly then all the adults are doing is being there incase there needed.:o)
I've seen kids turn there lifes around with a little bit of responsibility and respect.They should be allowed to draw up guidelines for use and sanctions
for bad behavior.Believe me they do not like to upset there peers.:)
Good luck Robin170491

cookie
02-Feb-06, 16:56
I have two younger children and they attend various activities ,infact the only day off we have is a sunday so i would say that there is plenty for their age group, but i'm not so sure that there is the same amount of activities available. for teenagers

cookie
I have two younger children and they attend various activities ,infact the only day off we have is a sunday so i would say that there is plenty for their age group, but i'm not so sure that there is the same amount of activities available for teenagers.

golach
Whats this "Young People and the Community" ? Why is it always them, they want want want all the time.
What about Owld People and the Community? Do we have to hing around street corners, listening till them moaning that they have nothing to do, an what colour o Hoddie is in vogue this week, bemoaning the price o fags and Buckie.
We need care in the Community for the over 50's, where are the dance halls, the pictures?, most of us can do Scottish Country Dancing , Ballroom some even Latin American, but there is nowhere to go. No wonder we get jealous of the Youngsters, they get every thing from swingparks, swimming pools, Footie parks, now they are wanting sofas and couches, when did ye see a youngsters sitting on a sofa? Furniture till them is for putting yer feet on, not for sitting on.
I'm away till lie doon now, its my afternoon nap time, see ye all when it gets dark

Ann
02-Feb-06, 17:17
Sorry I don't have any suggestions; it's a long time since I was a teenager! I was born and brought up in the country, at least 8 miles from the nearest town and even there we managed to "hang out".

No matter how cold the night was, we sat on a bridge and talked the talk of the day and did not go home until it was dark many a time so I do know how young people want to hang out by themselves with no interference from adults.

How about devising a questionnaire to put on this forum to see if that would get the word out and around? I'm sure Bill and Niall will help you put one together if need be.

Good luck Robin, hope you are successful.

Ann

zebedy
02-Feb-06, 17:19
yeah get everything... Maby... ( not in my opinion )

One place we get moved on from is the swing park!!

:evil

rfr10
02-Feb-06, 17:27
Sorry I don't have any suggestions; it's a long time since I was a teenager! I was born and brought up in the country, at least 8 miles from the nearest town and even there we managed to "hang out".

No matter how cold the night was, we sat on a bridge and talked the talk of the day and did not go home until it was dark many a time so I do know how young people want to hang out by themselves with no interference from adults.

How about devising a questionnaire to put on this forum to see if that would get the word out and around? I'm sure Bill and Niall will help you put one together if need be.

Good luck Robin, hope you are successful.

Ann

How would I be able to do that though. The questionnaires are printed copies and how would I be able to get it onto Caithness.org?

Ann
02-Feb-06, 17:55
I suggest you get in touch with Bill and Niall Fernie, the caithness.org administrators. I'm sure they will help you put something together that can be completed online.

If you have copies of a printed questionnaire already, ask local shops and businesses if they will help distribute them and just hand them out to the youngsters you hang about with just now and also to your fellow school pupils etc.

Again, good luck,
Ann

rfr10
02-Feb-06, 18:00
Ok, will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

rfr10
02-Feb-06, 18:20
Please could you start making a list of ideas of what you would like to see in the communtiy so I can begin to make a powerpoint presentation.

Thanks

RandomHero
02-Feb-06, 18:36
I think there's plenty of things to do. A small community can't cater for everyone's interests. Sure it may be boring sometimes but that happens everywhere. I know because I've been here, the islands and the city. If you've got an interest that's not available up here, then make it happen or go south. I had to, and before anyone says that they don't have the cash, neither did I.

rfr10
02-Feb-06, 18:40
Well thats the whole point in the BLF, to get grants for getting new stuff in our community. People from other counties will be trying to get money for themselves so we need some ideas of what is needed and all the issues faced amongst teenagers to try and get the money.

RandomHero
02-Feb-06, 18:47
More money should go into the arts I think. People seem to enjoy being in/watching local bands play and there is a lot of young people interested in drama. People don't know what they want. Not alot will change up here, no matter what sports or whatever that is introduced up here. You can't cater for everyone's specific interests.

connieb19
02-Feb-06, 18:55
Young people nowadays, honestly. We have a couple of young ones at our work just now and yesterday they had half an hour to spare...they were looking about them and huffing and puffing about being bored. I suggested a game of I spy and I couldn't believe it..they had no idea what I spy was :confused:
Don't they ever use their imagination anymore????

Sandra_B
02-Feb-06, 18:59
Elaine has some great ideas there.

I like the internet cafe/coffee shop hangout idea. I also think that it would need to be open late and not close up at 9pm.

I think the furniture shop on Princes Street would be a great location.

Also one of those indoor play places with an attatched coffee shop would be great for little kids and their parents, especially given the less than perfect weather Caithness has.

zebedy
02-Feb-06, 19:32
gawd were do u work? xD haha????[smirk] :roll:

alistair harper
02-Feb-06, 21:12
seek and you will find,speak and let yourself be heard
i think this page is a great use of talent, this person is asking all young folk what they want and when you get it you have to make sure that its treated with respect, not long ago the local paper reported about the new facilitys in wick. how long before was it vandalised. when you have got it its up to you to look after it because if not the council will gladley rip it all down and sell the ground to builders for houses and then there wont be any parks.

when i was young yes we had gangs but our swing parks were ours to look after and heaven help any one who tried to ruin them if we caught them

speak up, IF someone stole your play stations and xboxes would you just let them, i dont think so same goes for your parks they are there for you TO use them dont let one or two bad apples ruin your barrel
take care live life to the full if not youl be old before you know it bye

Cedric Farthsbottom III
02-Feb-06, 21:29
One wee problem I have seen over the years, is in a community where there is said to be nothing....boredom sets in.The other problem in a community is where there is everything....you soon come to a point where you have tried out all the facilities and ye can't be bothered and boredom sets in.I agree with other folk on the thread that Imagination is a strong thing.

rfr10
02-Feb-06, 21:32
I have recieved many of the questionnaires back and the most common issue is "There is nothing to do" and "There is nowhere to go at night"

connieb19
02-Feb-06, 21:47
I have recieved many of the questionnaires back and the most common issue is "There is nothing to do" and "There is nowhere to go at night"Okay Robin, here's a few suggestions,Badminton in WHS, football, Youth club, Squash, Swimming pool, gym, church group,skate park..I'm sure there are many more.
I wish there was half this amount of stuff to do when i was your age..
we used to be happy with x's and o's and hide and seek

Cedric Farthsbottom III
02-Feb-06, 22:02
I remember some of the best times was a group of friends going to each others houses on consecutive nights,chilling out listening to music,blethering about things that happened at school,drinking numerous cups of tea.It might seem boring now,but I can look back at my childhood now with the group of friends I had and think what a rare time we had.Mind you this all happened in the Winter when it was dark early.In the Summer it was fitbaw from 4pm-10pm.

Alice in Blunderland
02-Feb-06, 22:03
Okay Robin, here's a few suggestions,Badminton in WHS, football, Youth club, Squash, Swimming pool, gym, church group,skate park..I'm sure there are many more.
More suggestions keepfit classes,jamclub,pictures,tenpinbowling,quadbikes,v olunteergroups,linedancing, okay some of them cost money but how many of these kids moaning they are bored can find the money for fags.There is lots of activities out there but you cant please everyone and as was said before build them something and how long before they are bored with it too.

connieb19
02-Feb-06, 22:06
I remember some of the best times was a group of friends going to each others houses on consecutive nights,chilling out listening to music,blethering about things that happened at school,drinking numerous cups of tea.It might seem boring now,but I can look back at my childhood now with the group of friends I had and think what a rare time we had.Mind you this all happened in the Winter when it was dark early.In the Summer it was fitbaw from 4pm-10pm.They don't know how lucky they are nowadays...tv's, dvd players, hi-fi's, playstations, mp3', mobile phones, computers...the list is endless..
The reason they're bored is because they have so much, they don't know what to do...I can't remember the last time I saw a Kid skipping or playing hopscotch...

Whitewater
02-Feb-06, 22:36
I think being a teenager is always difficult no matter which decade you spent them in. My teenage years were spent in the 50s, I always seemed to have pleanty to do, football, table tennis, rollerskating, tennis, badmington, rugby, cycling, running, Boys Brigade, etc. we also spent time just doing nothing except hanging about with our friend having a laugh. All these things were my choice, they were there do if you wanted to do it but you had to make the effort, it didn't come to you.

There is much more available now with swimming pools in both Thurso and Wick, youth clubs, and all of the other activities which have already been mentioned in this thread.

Perhaps an internet cafe in both Thurso and Wick would help where they would have somewhere to hang out with comfortable seating and non alcholic drinks etc. could be the answer, but the bottom line for the teenagers of today and tomorrow is that all the activities that I and millions of others took part in and enjoyed are still available today plus many things I had never heard of, but they have to make the effort themselves, nobody is going to come along and set it on their lap or beg them to take part. Its called ''Self Motivation''.

golach
03-Feb-06, 16:22
I think being a teenager is always difficult no matter which decade you spent them in. My teenage years were spent in the 50s, I always seemed to have pleanty to do, football, table tennis, rollerskating, tennis, badmington, rugby, cycling, running, Boys Brigade, etc. we also spent time just doing nothing except hanging about with our friend having a laugh. All these things were my choice, they were there do if you wanted to do it but you had to make the effort, it didn't come to you.

but they have to make the effort themselves, nobody is going to come along and set it on their lap or beg them to take part. Its called ''Self Motivation''.
Whitewater I too came from your era, but lived in a little village in Perthshire, 8 miles from the nearest town, so we had to make our own amusement, and fighting in gangs was not one of them, ok we were not angels by a long chalk,we had to behave or your parents were soon notified as everyone knew everyone else in the village. But we were not into the destruction of property or defacing property with Graffiti. We did not even have the dreadful box that sits in every living room and kids bedroom today.
Ok our lives were simple but so were our needs, as a Grandfather of a 15 year old teenager, and I have tried to get to understand her, with no avail, I cannot fathom the so called peer pressure of today that teenagers feel they have to contend with. Though I in a way sympathise with the teenagers, I think they should get off their butts and as you say self motivate

rfr10
03-Feb-06, 17:05
More suggestions keepfit classes,jamclub,pictures,tenpinbowling,quadbikes,v olunteergroups,linedancing, okay some of them cost money but how many of these kids moaning they are bored can find the money for fags.There is lots of activities out there but you cant please everyone and as was said before build them something and how long before they are bored with it too.

Well, don't tell me. I'm only doing what I was told to do.

connieb19
03-Feb-06, 17:10
Well, don't tell me. I'm only doing what I was told to do.Alice is only doing what you asked people to do too. You have asked for suggestions and you have been given plenty of replys..I would like to hear your, or some of the young folks suggestions now....

rfr10
03-Feb-06, 17:11
Alice is only doing what you asked people to do too. You have asked for suggestions and you have been given plenty of replys..I would like to hear your, or some of the young folks suggestions now....

What I'm asking for is ideas of what there should be not what there already is.

Whitewater
03-Feb-06, 22:44
Steady on Robin170491, you are starting to loose the plot, the people are only trying to help as you requested in the first place, they have a right to ask for your ideas as well.

mostlyharmless
03-Feb-06, 23:14
To make a powerpoint presentation you need something more exciting than a bunch of words. I would get out on the streets interview a few youngsters that linger around in the evenings or on the weekends take pictures, get real voices or videos of real people.
Alternatively I would definitely suggest a place to hang out that involves the sort of things probably ninety percent of kids really want despite what parents want them too do.
Internet Cafe with access to the internet or various PC PS games.Make it something that they can make theres let them get involved with the process of making it. Of course by all means add to it a studio where they can create for themselves. Either music,computer games,animation.
Give them a place that has facilities outside also that is adaptable for most of the new crazes that come out skateboarding and onwards.
Not another centre of excellence with a school theme but a centre of creativety where they can try out new stuff and make even newer.
A place to break of the bands of parenthood and be themselves.
But go and see them all words are good but faces and voices are better.

MJB
04-Feb-06, 00:28
Okay Robin, here's a few suggestions,Badminton in WHS, football, Youth club, Squash, Swimming pool, gym, church group,skate park..I'm sure there are many more.

Hide and seek, we call it hunt now and when these teenagers try to play it they get bothered by the police for disturbing the residents.

We try to entertain ourselves at night but we get pestered.
We go to the park and we get moved on, we wait outside in the precinct and we get moved on.

It all comes down to us teenagers not being able to do these activities due to hassle from the older generation, our imagination is squashed as everthing we try to do is stopped.

This is why we need places to go where we will not be pestered, yes there's the youth club on Tuesdays, many people I know go to it.
Not everyone is in to football and badminton, it's great that there are facilities for people that do but I must say that Naver all weather pitch is often fully booked and so it is not possible to play football at it.
Also at Frasers Swingpark the nets have been taken down which they always are at winter and I'm sure the ones at Victoria walk fields are away too so Naver really is the only option.
Swimming, Bowling alley, Cinema etc all costs money so we cannot do it evey night and someone already mentioned about being kicked out for hanging around.

Nice questionaire, I just filled it in and sent it to you Robin.

Steady on Robin170491, you are starting to loose the plot, the people are only trying to help as you requested in the first place, they have a right to ask for your ideas as well.

He is asking for suggestions on what to do not what there already is.

I think this post was aimed more at the teenagers but instead I have to say that this has turned into another topic for the older generation to come and have a moan at about how they never had as much things to do.

rfr10
04-Feb-06, 00:37
Here is the link to the questionnaire for anyone who wants to complete it when the link is no longer on the front page http://www.caithness.org/youth/robinfalconer.doc

JAWS
04-Feb-06, 00:45
Robin, despite the fact that a lot of us like to make out that we were never stuck for something to do as teenagers it wasn't like that.
We've all been there and what we remember are the interesting things we did. The long tedious periods of nothing much happening get forgotten because there is nothing worth remembering about them.

Being a teenager is designed to be Hell in whatever the period. The whole reason that teenage years exist is so you can feel totally frustrated with everything and your parents and adults can driven into a frenzy wondering what on earth to do about you.
You are all at that horrible stage in life where you are too old to be a child and too young to be an adult so you don't fit in anywhere. The only people who seem to have any idea of where you're at is others who are in the same state and they are just as lost as you are.

You can't be the only teenager on the board Robin, so come on the rest of you, throw us a few crumbs. What sort of direction do you want to go in so we can help with a route because what excited us as youngsters would bore you to death. I mean, how would you like to sit and watch everything on telly in black and white? That's how out of touch with teenage years some of us are!

JAWS
04-Feb-06, 01:00
MJB, my teenage years are so far back that I hate to count the years but I'm glad to see some things seem never to change.

I seem to remember exactly the same things happening to me when I was a teenager, I don't envy you one little bit.
It matters not what you do there is always somebody who finds fault with it.

And I'm being serious when I say that and not my usual sarastic self.

Ann
04-Feb-06, 09:22
HI again, do you intend calling a meeting after you have collected a number of questionnaires. Talking to people face to face creates a bit more interest and starts an animated debate and you also get the feel of the ones who are genuinely willing to help create your goal.

Would a "self-motivation" consultant be of any use? They are good at leading folks into constructive discussion and showing how to keep a grip on a meeting without letting it descend into a rabble! They will also help any elected team to recognise their individual strengths and weaknesses and to work together to attain your vision.

With the prospect of lottery funding, you will need a very strong case to show that the ideas will work. You need plenty of enthusiastic and energetic people on your side and to support you with your application and maybe request the help and guidance of more experienced organisers who know what your aims are.

EDDIE
04-Feb-06, 09:57
I think organizations like scouts army cadets etc should be funded more so the young people can do more of the adventure activites like abseiling,rock climbing,canooing and so on were at the moment its a rare occasion things like that are good experience for the kids.
A proper sports and leisure centre so everyone can use it.

I think in general the young people of today need these type of faciltys as i said in the above statement to get them away from sitting with there ps2 all the time or hanging about at nights board with nothing to do and give them the chance to join sports facilitys or organisation that meets there expectations and needs And its all good stuff it gets them working in teams and its fitness by deception instead of breeding the young to become overweight couch potatoes like me.
But for me any lottery fund should go to local organization thats run buy volunteers and not people that wants to start up a buisness to make huge profits were the young people cant afford to use the facilty.

EDDIE
04-Feb-06, 10:05
I would just like to point out as well that it is shame for the young people up in small community that lack all these faciltys were they have choice in what they want to do as a pastime compared to people in big citys that take in for granted its a real shame and there missing out and i hope someone will address that problem properly

Moby
04-Feb-06, 12:43
I completely agree with Erli. There are loads of fantastic clubs available to the kids in the county - the fact is that some kids don't want to be involved in organised passtimes. In Thurso alone there are drama clubs, cheerleading clubs, various dancing clubs, martial arts, football, athletics club, swimming club, gymnastics club, music, youth club, Scouts/Guides, TAs, Air cadets...............I could go on and on. Maybe the kids should receive more help form adults in the town with regards to becoming involved with these clubs rather than allowing them to "hang out doon e street"

connieb19
04-Feb-06, 12:47
I get the impression that they dont want to join these clubs. They're quite happy to hang about..they just want somewhere warm and cosy to do it. No wonder they're growing up to be such a bunch of softies..we had to sit at the bog shop all night and never complained about it...:eyes

rfr10
04-Feb-06, 21:16
It would be appreciated if you could visit the link in my signature and post some ideas on the message boards about the community.

Thanks

rainbow
04-Feb-06, 21:45
There is loads of clubs for the kids to do - why kids said there is nothing to do is because they believe it is not 'cool' enough to be in a club, and peer pressure to quit - then they complain they are bored. Its all very well saying get more clubs however when organisations ask for parents/volunteers then they quite often get a NIL response. Too many parents are happy to send their kids along to clubs but all too often are unwilling to support them in any shape or form.

rfr10
06-Feb-06, 19:42
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I have now begun to summarise what everyone has suggested and you'll probably hear from me again before the next BLF meeting. Hopefully some of you will be able to visit the site in my signature and post a few suggestions and comments on there.

Thanks again.
Robin