PDA

View Full Version : Any horsey people on here?

unicornleather
05-Jan-09, 05:24
Just out of interest, many horsey people on here?
Oz :)

brandy
05-Jan-09, 08:24
*grins* im working on becoming horsey does that count!?

Nibbler
05-Jan-09, 08:31
There is a fair few on here unicornleather.

I used to work with horses when I left school and did a lot of training with stallions and youngstock. Also did the local three year equestrian college course.

May I ask why are you looking for horsey people??? Is there anything we can help with?

wickchick
05-Jan-09, 11:58
Im another horsey person :D

majic
05-Jan-09, 12:16
i have 13 do i count as horsey

teenybash
05-Jan-09, 12:36
I have one and a half horses.....do I count? :confused

brandy
05-Jan-09, 12:53
13? wow thats a lot! *G* ill take one!

majic
05-Jan-09, 13:25
some are for sale

Kathy@watten
05-Jan-09, 13:44
Guilty aswell of being a bit horsey...usually a bit horsey smelling too! Have a quite a few here, allsorts kids ponies, broodmare, foal, my own eventer and a few also rans too! Spend best part of the day mucking out and catering to their needs, also do a bit of breaking and schooling of other peoples horses.

unicornleather
05-Jan-09, 18:58
13 horses !!
That is alot, I was just asking to find like minded people that's all and break the ice.
Was up in Inverness over Xmas and went up near Thurso (near some turbines on a wind farm out in the middle of nowhere!)
Saw a few horses dotted around here and there.

Julia
05-Jan-09, 19:50
My sister has two, does that count?

I'm very allergic to them unfortunately :confused

unicornleather
05-Jan-09, 20:07
Yes, whether you have a horse or not or just interested in them counts!

divanp75
05-Jan-09, 21:06
I have 6 but they are ponies not horses.

:D

brandy
05-Jan-09, 21:33
well im def interested in horses! want to know everything i can!

porshiepoo
05-Jan-09, 22:51
Me horsey too :) Don't have one at the mo (sold my Clydesdale couple of years back) but I've worked with Hunters & Eventers when I left school then went on to work at O' Brennans racing yard. Have had a few horses & ponies over the years and spent the best childhood ever with my pony Tommy.

We have 4 acres here and I'm trying to convince hubby once again that when the land has eventually been ploughed, levelled and seeded that a horse would look much better mushing the ground back up than having a perfectly manicured piece of flat land. He knows I'll win in the end so he's taking his sweet fanny time getting the darn thing ploughed.
Hmmmm, any of you horsey people know of the best way to plough extremely rough and bumpy land that is covered in Gorse seedlings? We took out all the gorse a couple of years ago with the digger and burnt the lot (took all bloomin year) but they've groen back in double quick time and as the land is not ploughed or relatively level we can't mow it to keep it in check.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
05-Jan-09, 23:14
Just out of interest, many horsey people on here?

Yup met you on SNE before OZ - any closer to moving to Inverness??

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
05-Jan-09, 23:15
Guilty aswell of being a bit horsey...usually a bit horsey smelling too! Have a quite a few here, allsorts kids ponies, broodmare, foal, my own eventer and a few also rans too! Spend best part of the day mucking out and catering to their needs, also do a bit of breaking and schooling of other peoples horses.

How's the foal doing? how old is it now???

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
05-Jan-09, 23:18
Hmmmm, any of you horsey people know of the best way to plough extremely rough and bumpy land that is covered in Gorse seedlings? We took out all the gorse a couple of years ago with the digger and burnt the lot (took all bloomin year) but they've groen back in double quick time and as the land is not ploughed or relatively level we can't mow it to keep it in check.

Blinking whins (Caithness term for Gorse) are the worst - the more you cut them back the thicker they grow back :-(

Good for shelter though!!!

Jovi
05-Jan-09, 23:21
More 'horsey' people here,both myself and O.H. We have 8, little to large,all have 'issues'..(dont we all).All big characters whatever their size. Been around horses as long as I can remember and helped run a pony sanctuary before we moved up here..a real eye opener. Life revolves around them and our other animals,can't imagine them not owning us...what would we do with all that time..and money?:lol:
Jovi

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
05-Jan-09, 23:26
Jovi where do you keep your neddys and what sort of issues do they have???

Jovi
05-Jan-09, 23:33
We're in Bower, nothing worrying,some are rescues so have had a lot of trust /physical 'issues' but are chilling and thriving.We have a couple of youngsters in process of bringing on and a teen whos done nothing since 6ish,so starting him again and oldie couple happy in semi retirement...a real mixed bag. :lol:
Jovi

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
05-Jan-09, 23:40
I have youngster on go - getting broken in spring - have sat on few times and 14 yo brilliant cobby - who I got in summer....she's amazing hadn't done much for a while- she was advertsied on the org and way absolutely money well spent - she's been an angel :-)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd231/MAFGERS/DSC01595.jpg

Jovi
05-Jan-09, 23:52
I got my boy as a foal and made great progress but with move up here,finding land,work..etc came to a halt. Started more work last year and he's doing great,bitless too. He's 16.3 Irish DraughtxThoroughbred,can't put pic on as haven't worked that out yet. Goodluck with yours. :D
Jovi

divanp75
05-Jan-09, 23:54
We have 4 acres here and I'm trying to convince hubby once again that when the land has eventually been ploughed, levelled and seeded that a horse would look much better mushing the ground back up than having a perfectly manicured piece of flat land. He knows I'll win in the end so he's taking his sweet fanny time getting the darn thing ploughed.

I have Natives that just love to munch gorse / thistles etc perhaps you need a nice native pony to clear up you bit.

Diane:lol:

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
05-Jan-09, 23:56
I got my boy as a foal and made great progress but with move up here,finding land,work..etc came to a halt. Started more work last year and he's doing great,bitless too. He's 16.3 Irish DraughtxThoroughbred,can't put pic on as haven't worked that out yet. Goodluck with yours. :D
Jovi

thanks, sounds NICE....... usually ride cobby bitless..... in PNH halter or dr cooks crossover bitless.... what type bitless you using???

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
05-Jan-09, 23:59
I have Natives that just love to munch gorse / thistles etc perhaps you need a nice native pony to clear up you bit.

is that the hard sell Diane??? haha!!! Didn't check out that mud fever link yet - but have you heard of stoppital ?>?????? thinking about trying it ....but its more the mites than the mud fevere i'm concerned about - looking a lot healthier this last couple of days - I bet the frost has got to help - would love to get her to dunnet beach on saturday but want to havea look at working hunter show since we won't be taking her although got indoor school on Friday night and after the hunt probably best not over do it!!!

Jovi
06-Jan-09, 00:02
thanks, sounds NICE....... usually ride cobby bitless..... in PNH halter or dr cooks crossover bitless.... what type bitless you using???

Was backed and longlined in Monty Roberts Dually and last year decided to try a Dr.Cook..working well so far. Jovi:D

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Jan-09, 00:04
yeah I like the dr cooks - i think it's the best for pressure distribution - although I find that she's a lot lighter when I then ride in a nathe bit for whatever reason (the bit in the picture) I had borrowed that particular one from a friend for that day - and decided to buy my own - 60 quid but it's well worth it - horses doesn't throw head as much as she did when I first got her and tried to pick up contact - hence why I went dr cooks....

unicornleather
06-Jan-09, 00:05
Hello Keep on trucking, are you the one who has started up the retail website?
If so, how's it going?
I've been chatting to a lady in Cheltenham recently on another forum, who has started up a tack shop in that area, trying to help her over the many hurdles and closed doors within the Saddlery trade!
I used to retail and had a high street shop years ago (1995 ish) but too many people doing it now so I stick to manufacturing, repairs,saddle fitting and flocking (although I am giving fitting and flocking up after 21 years to concentrate on designing new products instead), keeps me out of mischief in my workshop I suppose!
Nice to see so many people interested in horses on here, Oz

divanp75
06-Jan-09, 00:08
would love to get her to dunnet beach on saturday

Would love to go too but the truck is in the shop so still dont have wheels to get there. Glad your water fighting had some success at the weekend.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Jan-09, 00:08
Yup Oz you got it in one!!!

it's going well ....very busy up to Christmas - bit quieter at the moment....but just working on a few little projects and keeping a few core folk as happy as I can at the moment...... in process of developing a new website..... :-) If you want to do some advertising you should drop me some infor for a write up or link ...... think ive noticed you on New Rider forum too ???? Been hearing some sad stories from Kis Vahar on there too about the money problems and horses for slaughter over there at this tough time sad - I think he's a saddler as well ... :-(

Razz
06-Jan-09, 00:09
I've got a 27 year old mare who is thinks she is 7, and still being ridden, she has owned me since she was 5. quite a character.

divanp75
06-Jan-09, 00:12
she has owned me since she was 5.

I have often wondered if that is a mare thing, never had that problem when I only had a gelding. The girls are very demanding and moody too.

DIane:lol::lol::lol:

unicornleather
06-Jan-09, 00:14
Yes I chat to Kis (she is a woman) and her husband Paul is the saddler, we often chat. I chat to Wally too who is anothe rlady saddler up on the Isles above you (Shetland I think).
I am no nearer to moving to Inverness yet!
Still saving up!
Was there over xmas though at my girlfriend Carol's (cssaddlery.co.uk), I have designed some new products for her and she has now registered one at the patent office, so things are looking up.
Thing she finds that is a real pain is when she buys from the wholesalers they clobber her so much extra on postage to Inverness which is totally unfair, where as I used to pay £3.50 per carton from same wholesaler she is paying over £8 yet she is still on mainland UK, totally unfair and it effects your profits doesn't it?
Oz

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Jan-09, 00:17
ABSOLUTELY AND its worse up here and it will be even worse for Wally in Shetland....

Are you going to BETA in feb ???? I notice Abbey Saddlery are the major sponsor - what like are they ???

PS had checked out Carols site before but hadn't amde the connection - mainly came across it as several folk asked me if I could get the Emergency SOS - but I see it's unique to her - is that a collaboartion with yourself?? I take it the patent is on the 4 in 1 bridle ? Nice one.

unicornleather
06-Jan-09, 00:21
I might go to beta if I can be bothered, I usually get free tickets every year but only go every other year.
Abbey are ok, they used to make SO many mistakes in my orders but over the years they have got better!
They can be expensive but most of their stuff is English made, the bit range is very good but expensive and you will be competing against bits coming in from China from wholesalers and of course, you can't beat the Chinese on prices!
Funnily enough I have just ordered some more leather and nylon from them tonight!
Do you have an account with them?
Oz

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Jan-09, 00:22
I have their catalogues and prices etc - but I am more about the products - try a lot to be a little bit different and not just the everyday stuff you can get from the agricuppliers locally!! etc..........finding a niche.....

Razz
06-Jan-09, 00:25
I have often wondered if that is a mare thing, never had that problem when I only had a gelding. The girls are very demanding and moody too.

DIane:lol::lol::lol:

She is not so much moody, or mare like, just very fussy who she speaks to sometimes. OH gets upset when he cannot catch her, and I just call her in

unicornleather
06-Jan-09, 00:28
They do a good range on Fiebings horse, rugs and leathercare products which you might find useful.
Their main customers are saddlers and leather goods people, we get all our raw materials from them as it is so much easier having everything we need in one catalogue than having to source it elsewhere!
Laziness really!
The other items like over reach boots etc will be cheaper from wholesalers to be honest.
If you ever want any advice and I can answer your questions just PM me, I am here to help if I can and point new retailers etc in the right direction! Oz

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Jan-09, 00:29
Cheers mannie it's good to know :-)

unicornleather
06-Jan-09, 00:31
You are most welcome!

unicornleather
06-Jan-09, 00:50
Just read a bit more of one of your posts, yes the SOS, I invented it and make it, sick of the sight of them sometimes!
That is what she has registered, the other items (banana bag and 4 in 1 bridle) which I also invented are going to be registered as well soon.
You have to these days or someone will copy it and start making it abroad for pence!
I am making up new sos's tomorrow for stock and am going to make some leather ones as well as the nylon ones, that is why I ordered more leather from Abbey.
I do get asked for leather ones from the tradtionalists now and again, Carol is looking for distributors of the sos's so if you or any other retailers you know are interested e mail her via her website for details, she doesn't bite!
She deals with the money and business side of things, I am merely the man who designs and makes things, I know my place!!
Oz

Fran
06-Jan-09, 03:13
I love a clydesdale, so i am a horsey person too.

unicornleather
06-Jan-09, 10:44
I like the heavy horses too, made up a show ploughing bridle for a heavy horse with all the brass on it, looks quite good it is sitting in my workshop. Took a lot of hand stitching through up to 5 thicknesses of bridle butt leather!
I also made up a heavy horse riding bridle as an experiment really, it's huge and got a 2 " wide noseband!
Someone had me make up a cavesson noseband for a really heavy cob once and when she put it on her off the peg bridle it didn't look right as it was so big compared to the rest of it, so I decided to make a complete bridle up to match just to see what it looked like!
I think there's a picture on my website unicornleather.co.uk
I have yet to see anything in the country that is as wide and as large!
If I had a horse I would like a Irish Draught or a ID x TB, they make excellent riding horses with nice temperments, (usually)!
Maybe that's why I like the heavy horses, they are on the whole more placid although saying that, I met a nasty gelding at a heavy horse centre once I was doing some saddlery repairs for!
And riding a heavy horse is easier than riding a jumpy Arab for instance especially if you ride as badly as I do and need every assistance to actually stay on board!
Oz

majic
06-Jan-09, 21:28
i have a clydesdale x and arab they seem the same sort of ride although one is finer they are both responsive

unicornleather
06-Jan-09, 21:30
Must be my bad riding then!

majic
06-Jan-09, 21:38
sorry i was not say that your riding was bad i ment that they are both forward going but easy to stop

elamik@tiscali.co.uk
06-Jan-09, 22:46
hi Im horsey , but from Fife does that count.

unicornleather
06-Jan-09, 22:51
Yes it all counts!
Majic, it's ok I am a rubbish rider!!
Much better Saddler though!
Oz ;)

majic
07-Jan-09, 00:28
i take you it you come up here then i might need you

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
07-Jan-09, 08:24
UNicorn - I didn't think you were a saddler fitter ???? or are you ? mainly a maker?

Majic - if you need a saddle fitter I organise for Clare Molyneux to come up - she's very good from Nairn.

Also for all the horsey people reading this - as of saturday there is a new Caithness Equestrian newsletter available monthly (and it's FREE)...........it will be going out at the Working Hunter Show at the indoor on Saturday then hopefully through CLB - Geddes - the vets etc....

Alternatively you can have it posted to you for £15 a year to cover the costs.

cazmanian_minx
07-Jan-09, 09:35
Joining in a bit late here - ever since we moved up, my neighbour has been asking me when the pony's arriving :lol:

One of my new year's resolutions is to start riding again after a 5-year gap, so I'll be taking myself off to Torrisdale when the weather gets a bit better to see if they've got a nice quiet pony I can get my confidence back on :D

porshiepoo
07-Jan-09, 10:40
Well, I'm determined to get back into it.

Do any of you mothers out there not find that you see the danger in every aspect of it now though? I used to love the speed, jumping as high as was possible, drag hunting etc and loved exercising race horses on the gallops. Just the thought of what I used to do leaves me quaking now though. :eek: Both my daughters are almost 18 so I'm hoping I'll have the guts to get back into it properly - just the thought of any road riding has me making myself believe that I actually just want a mare to breed from and not actually have to ride. lol.
Does it get easier the more you get back into it? Or do you find back protectors, shin protectors, every other protector plus hat and face cage just seem to creep in????

brandy
07-Jan-09, 12:35
its funny, im a complete novice again, and i dont have any problem with confidence with riding, and im encouraging sam to ride. i know the dangers but we both love horses so much! sam wanted to jump barrels his first lesson! and took to it like a duck to water! i cant wait for his lessons to start again, as i just love watching him ride! and i plan on taking him to events soon, so we can start watching together and learning more!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
07-Jan-09, 14:13
Well, I'm determined to get back into it.

Does it get easier the more you get back into it? Or do you find back protectors, shin protectors, every other protector plus hat and face cage just seem to creep in????

Hey body protectors will have come on A a LOT since you were probably riding - they are all round the rib cage protection and some with shoulders and neck too .......

You'll probably find its the anticipation that makes you more nervous than the actual getting on a riding - and no one says you need to get on and do all the things you used to - get up to Bettyhill and go for a great hack out on the beach - im sure it'll all cme flooding back!!!

unicornleather
07-Jan-09, 15:08
Hello again Keep_on_truckin I think I need to explain what a Saddler actually is!
I was trained in Cordwainers College in Hackney in 1987-88 that gave me saddle, bridle and all related saddlery making skills, I have an in depth knowledge of material sciences (ie leather construction and breaking strains etc) as well as a Lorinery Certificate.
As a saddler I know how to design, make and fit ALL saddlery (including rugs and material items other than leather items) and why certain leathers, fittings and styles are used. I can fit and flock saddles on site although after 21 years I do very little flocking only when my arm is twisted by friends!
I am trained the old school way, I can make a saddle as it was made one hundred years ago, using hand made threads and no modern materials, unfortunately I am in a minority and the trade has moved on and there is not much call for old fashioned saddlery!
Much of todays saddlery is bought in from abroad, even the "english" leather items, the leather is english but the item is made in India!
I have more or less gone into design and manufacture these days, I have designed and made a few new items for the saddlery trade and want to design saddles for high withered horses and flat cobs eventually.
A Society of Master Saddler "saddle fitter", like so many of the people I see out there now have had 6 days training to fit saddles, they do not always have the skills to flock them.
They have not had the experience to know how the saddle is constructed and what could go wrong with it and how to fix it, what is safe and what is not safe.
A "saddle fitter" qualification looks good on paper!
If I seem anti "saddle fitters" then I am sorry, I have met some bad ones but on the other hand I have met some good ones and realise they are not all bad.
What people need to know is, a saddle fitter is not the same as a Saddler!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
07-Jan-09, 22:50
Thanks that was interesting - the saddle fitter I use - whom I trust a LOT - changed 2 horses in my care over the past 12 months............. also works with a SADDLER.... who comes with her.....seems a good partnership - again it's the saddler who does all my rug repairs and leather maintenance :-)

What I meant is that I did not perceive from your posts on various forums that you travelled around providing a "saddle fitting service" that you were more in my eyes as someone who actually "made things" .......................sore for loose laymans terms.

unicornleather
07-Jan-09, 23:12
No worries, not a problem, when a newly qualified saddle fitter goes out on site fitting saddles with a proper saddler that is a good idea in my books, we can help them on their way but all too often I see what I would class as novices out on their own and I feel for them as they need back up sometimes.
2 heads are better than one!
Taking out saddlery apprentices on site and having one in the workshop is a good idea too as they are straight out of college and often have new skills we haven't been taught and are aware of all the new up to date products and materials coming on to the market, they can often teach us more than we can teach them!

brandy
07-Jan-09, 23:45
heres a question that ive wondered about... american western saddles and brittish.. which to go for, and why? ive noticed in my very inexperianced views.. that american horses and british horses have very dif. gates! *G* its been years but i remember basically just sitting on the horse to ride when i was younger.. and not putting a lot of the weight in my legs. obviously, an english saddle dosent have a sadle horn, which the first couple times i was on a horse over here was to say the least weird.. kept on looking for something to grab onto! *Laughs*
was just randomly thinking about tack today, and was wondering what kind of saddle i would end up with once i had my own horse. and what kind of reigns ect... i know without a doubt i will never ever use rubber reigns again if i can avoid it.. ouch.. those blisters hurt!
ahhh so much to learn!!!
im really really enjoying reading all these posts! and looking to learn all i can!
anyone want help with their horses in exchange for learning day to day care?

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 00:02
Im a horsey person! Rode at Achalone for about 12 years! had a horse too but had to sell due to lack of time because i started college and working and things! I miss him!

I was meant to go back horse riding last year but fell pregnant! Might go back to it this year but will see how the pennies are! :confused

unicornleather
08-Jan-09, 00:06
Sounds like you up there need to all get together and get riding again!
Keep_on_truckin can provide you with all the gear needed so there's no excuse now!

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 00:25
Sounds like you up there need to all get together and get riding again!
Keep_on_truckin can provide you with all the gear needed so there's no excuse now!

I would love to start riding again! It was the best hobby i ever ever had! But now with a newborn son i have not got much time! And i dont drive so transport would be hard! My mum used to take me out.

I will see if i can get back into it tho! Maybe when my son is a bit older get a wee shetland pony or something! :Razz

unicornleather
08-Jan-09, 00:32
Good for you!

cazmanian_minx
08-Jan-09, 07:57
I certainly think it's going to be a more affordable thing to do here - Oz, I used to live quite near you and for a very short time kept a horse at the big dressage yard near Blindley Heath (I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about!) - £800 a month in livery fees, which was nearly four times my mortgage at the time!!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
08-Jan-09, 08:12
I certainly think it's going to be a more affordable thing to do here - Oz, I used to live quite near you and for a very short time kept a horse at the big dressage yard near Blindley Heath (I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about!) - £800 a month in livery fees, which was nearly four times my mortgage at the time!!

Holy smoke - I should be charging more than 47.50 a week for FULL livery then haha!!!

I don't have a school (YET) or the king of facilities of a big fancy dressage yard in middle Englandshire......

Thanks OZ for the plug......for all of those that are interested in horses locally - can't mind if I just said this earlier but myself and 2 others have started a publication - CAITHNESS EQUESTRIAN - the first issue will be out on Saturday at the Riding CLubs Working Hunter Show - it's not an official launch or a big deal but that is when it will be intiailly distributed....

We hope to interest horse lovers, riders and owners in the county and hope to interest EVERYONE. Copies will then be available from the vets, CLB and other places- also you can have it posted to your home for a small yearly subscription - there's also plenty room to advertise in it for your business or service....... and also if you would like to contribute an article or use our experts - Hamish Maclean , Bridget Holt with veterinary queries or Clare Molyneux with saddle fitting queries then you can use caithnessequestrian@googlemail.com for all contacts......

Oz if you would like to submit an article we would most welcome your thoughts and ideas - i'm thinking editorial on the SOS......???

Also Porshiepoo, Shelleybain , Cazmanian Minx, fran, Brandy, etc the riding club working hunter show will be starting at 10am in the Halkirk indoor school you should come over and enjoy the show..... I will be there but sadly not riding as I didn't get a chance to get organised after horse was stiff from the boxing day hunt - MY fault poor horsey (she's fine now though).

unicornleather
08-Jan-09, 09:58
Thanks Keep_on_truckin, I am thinking about writing articles on various topics within the saddlery trade for anybody who is interested on here and other horsey forums, to include things such as , leather and how it is made, how to recognise good leather and how to recognise problems with it, a few articles on bits, bridles, girths, stirrup leathers, stirrup irons, saddles, saddle fitting, mainly from the safety point of view and of course I will write you something about sos's if you wish!

Cazmanian, I know exactly where you mean, mainly Warmblood horses there, I have done work on site there and as you say it is one of many round here charging that sort of fee for livery. I have been to some yards in Sussex who have private roads (1 mile long) into their properties, huge automatic electric gates to actually get into their place and about 100 acres to play in on their horses!
Won't even begin to tell you how big the house was!
Makes me feel very humble when I go to places like that!

cazmanian_minx
08-Jan-09, 13:16
Keep_on_Truckin - can't make this Saturday :( but once the outdoor season starts will be trying to turn up to a few events with my camera :)

Oz - whole different world isn't it?? How the other half live!

cazmanian_minx
08-Jan-09, 13:21
Ah, knew I had a pic online somewhere! This was my horse, Oso (that's not me riding!), aged 4:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1343/1255149817_80ef63b1b4_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22544094@N00/1255149817/in/set-72157600781051987/)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/456781309_69b7824497_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22544094@N00/456781309/in/set-72157600781051987/)

We lost confidence in each other after I had a spectacular fall off him while he was being backed and he's now showjumping with a lovely lady in Cumbria and doing brilliantly. He was way, way, way too much horse for me, if I do have one again it's going to be under 15 hands and over 10 years old!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
08-Jan-09, 13:52
he's absolutely stunning!!!

Sorry to hear about the fall! Had you been breaking him yourself?

Mairi Anne :-)

cazmanian_minx
08-Jan-09, 14:17
Yup, he's a real head-turner and an utter sweetheart as well - loves people, loves to please people. It was always impossible to take a picture of him in the field, he'd come right up and stick his nose into the camera to find out what I was doing!

I didn't back him, he grew up on the stud he was foaled on, in Wiltshire, and I had him started there when he was three and a half as they had a fantastic reputation for their young horses. They gave me a ring a couple of months later to say he'd been a total star, hadn't put a foot wrong and would I like to come and have my first sit on him? Yes please! So I zoomed up the motorway that weekend, in foul weather, and we went into their small indoor school where I was legged up and off we went.

Started off on the lunge, but after five minutes they said I looked perfectly happy and in control of things and would I like to go solo? Yes please! We walked a couple of circuits, did some figure 8s across the school, no problems. Try trot, they said. Leg on - and WOW. Having only ever ridden riding school horses before (albeit some of them very nice ones - I was having lessons at the dressage yard I mentioned earlier), sitting on a young 17hh Danish Warmblood was like driving a Ferrari after a Fiat Panda!

And then we went past the school door at just the same moment as the wind changed direction and it blew all the rain out of the guttering and drenched us. Oso jumped sideways, which I sat OK, but he felt me swaying, didn't like it, bucked, didn't like me banging back down on his back as he came down, bucked again, and at the third buck, by which time we'd covered the entire length of the school, I did an apparently rather acrobatic three-quarter somersault over his shoulder and landed flat on my back.

Normally when I fall off I get back on straight away, because I know that if I don't my nerve goes. Since I couldn't put my right foot to the floor without a shooting pain going all the way up to my shoulder, it wasn't an option this time - turns out I'd dislocated my sacro-iliac joint and it ended up taking 6 months to get fixed. And that was the last time I rode. Given Oso was three and a half when that happened and he's going to be eight at the end of April, it's really time I got back on!

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 14:43
Stunning horse there! :eek:

My horse when i got him, he was overweight, hadn't been ridden in a year and unsociable! But i saw a spark in him and had to have him! he hadnt been ridden because his previous owner had been pregnant and had a baby so had no time to ride or spend time with him and just let him eat what he wanted!!!

Took a while but got him into better shape! I knew he would always be on the heafty side cos he was Irish draught/thoroughbred! He was 16hh too! He turned into a big sap too! Lol!

But actually the first time i rode him, he spooked and i went flying..head first to the ground! And when i took him jumping, after every jump he wud throw me off! :lol:

best horse! Shame he had to be sold! But he is happy with a new owner and gets to relax! Mainly does hacks!

wickchick
08-Jan-09, 15:13
I sooooo cannot believe we have never started a horsey conversation on the org before!! Look what we have been missing, so much knowledge to be given and recieved. :D

I am in the planning process of starting a Livery Yard/Riding School in Wick, the sand school has now been dug out... could perhaps upload some photos lol, if I can figure out how to that is.

Ashleigh x

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 17:35
I sooooo cannot believe we have never started a horsey conversation on the org before!! Look what we have been missing, so much knowledge to be given and recieved. :D

I am in the planning process of starting a Livery Yard/Riding School in Wick, the sand school has now been dug out... could perhaps upload some photos lol, if I can figure out how to that is.

Ashleigh x

Wow another riding school would be wicked! :) Yeah get some photos up (if u figure it out, go to attached files at the bottom when posting a commend and click manage attachments) lol!

Is it a big sand school u have made?!

Do u know how long its going to be before its up and running? So many questions i know but am very interested to maybe start riding again in the near future and would love to come see your place! :)

cat
08-Jan-09, 17:50
hi.just have wee welsh pony now,son outgrew him and now hes just a pet.sold my horse after over 9 yrs to Keep on truckin,couldna of wished for a better person for her,well probably wouldna of sold her if she hadna come along!
had to sell her as really couldnt afford to keep her and had no time to work with her and it was heartbreakin for me to see her going down hill,but i still miss her something awful.did find myself driving past her a fair bit to start with(stalker)!!then i thought i should stay away to see if i get over it,hasnt worked though!:~(
i miss her smell and our chats we had in the stable at nights.i see lots of other horsey mums manage it all,maybe i could have been more like them and kept her,duno how they manage.maybe loadsa babysitters,did know someone that used to tether kids to fence post with a lunge line(true story)but i maybe wouldnt go that far!!

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 18:13
hi.just have wee welsh pony now,son outgrew him and now hes just a pet.sold my horse after over 9 yrs to Keep on truckin,couldna of wished for a better person for her,well probably wouldna of sold her if she hadna come along!
had to sell her as really couldnt afford to keep her and had no time to work with her and it was heartbreakin for me to see her going down hill,but i still miss her something awful.did find myself driving past her a fair bit to start with(stalker)!!then i thought i should stay away to see if i get over it,hasnt worked though!:~(
i miss her smell and our chats we had in the stable at nights.i see lots of other horsey mums manage it all,maybe i could have been more like them and kept her,duno how they manage.maybe loadsa babysitters,did know someone that used to tether kids to fence post with a lunge line(true story)but i maybe wouldnt go that far!!

I have no idea how horsey mums manage either! I have seen loads! Lol!

A horse is a excellent companion! I used to speak to mines constantly too! He never judged me! :lol: Could talk to him about anything (i dont feel so mad someone else has said it now)

It is sad tho aint it! I used to ride one of my instructors horses, he was called Jeremy. I entered in the PC Show for his last lot of shows before retiring from them, i got 1st - working hunter 1st - show jumping 3rd dressage! It was the best day ever! Then a good while back now he died! :~( i cried for days!

cat
08-Jan-09, 18:56
ah!jeremy was good.my son rode him for a whiley when his pony was lame.
she used till put her chin on my shoulder and breathe on my face,didna smell too good as she had had a tooth removed and the hole always got compacted with foul smelling food,i didnt mind though.her ears would twitch back and forth listening and she would stand like that for ages,she would get quite heavy,then as soon as i said 'ok babe,nite nite' she would kiss me with her top lip!!i used to try and catch her out by saying something else coz people would always say she didna know what i was gibbering on about,but she only ever did it when i said that!

unicornleather
08-Jan-09, 19:30
SO glad I started this thread, got you all chatting about horses if nothing else!

landy
08-Jan-09, 20:24

Ashleigh x
yes please try and post photos.might inspire hubby to have a go and make me one.....in my dreams

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
08-Jan-09, 20:34
she used till put her chin on my shoulder and breathe on my face,didna smell too good as she had had a tooth removed and the hole always got compacted with foul smelling food,i didnt mind though.her ears would twitch back and forth listening and she would stand like that for ages,she would get quite heavy,then as soon as i said 'ok babe,nite nite' she would kiss me with her top lip!!i used to try and catch her out by saying something else coz people would always say she didna know what i was gibbering on about,but she only ever did it when i said that!

Funny you mention cat because sandy says he;s happy to have her kissing him at night (haha - the thought ) right now because since the dentist was up she's been smelling sweet - he;s back at end of feb so long may it last.

So she's still kissing like mad!!!

ShelleyCowie
08-Jan-09, 20:34

Jeremy was an awsome horse! He boosted my confidence in jumping! I had a bad fall once and it really knocked my confidence for ages! Then jeremy picked me back up! :D Will love him forever! And Percy!

cat
08-Jan-09, 21:48
is that before or after she takes him till e pub!!:lol:
so you arent goin till e show?if you are free on sunday,or weekend after,id love till come and see how yous are getting on?

yeah,some come along and do that,im afraid my confidence has gone and will never return.id love to just get on and enjoy it but cant see that happening:~(

wickchick
09-Jan-09, 00:28
I shall try to get some photos uploaded tomorrow, fingers crossed that its as easy as it seems .

The school is 25 meters by 45 meters, this is the size the BHS recommened as it is big enough to do flat work and a course of jumps.

I know I have alot to learn about setting up a Livery Yard/Riding School and I am trying to gain as much information before actually going ahead with it. I am hoping to have the Livery Yard up and running this year and to gradually start teaching on my own horses. I am in the process of gainning my licence from the council which is needed to start up a Riding School.

I am definately going to have the Livery Yard and the Riding School British Horse Society approved as I feel there is a need for more BHS input in Caithness.

I am planning to work along side the BHS with everything. I am hoping to train riders for their BHS stages - http://www.bhs.org.uk/content/Ods-More.asp?id=1799&pg=Education&spg=Information&area=2.

Hope this helps

Ashleigh X

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
09-Jan-09, 08:50
is that before or after she takes him till e pub!!:lol:
so you arent goin till e show?if you are free on sunday,or weekend after,id love till come and see how yous are getting on?

yeah,some come along and do that,im afraid my confidence has gone and will never return.id love to just get on and enjoy it but cant see that happening:~(

he hasn't done that for a while as some of the bikers gave her cheek - not her personally just horses and he didn't want her feelings to get hurt any more!!!

I am going to show but shannon staying at home!!!

Hopefully get a lesson with david gatherer through pony club week after - fingers crossed.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
09-Jan-09, 08:51
I shall try to get some photos uploaded tomorrow, fingers crossed that its as easy as it seems .

The school is 25 meters by 45 meters, this is the size the BHS recommened as it is big enough to do flat work and a course of jumps.

I know I have alot to learn about setting up a Livery Yard/Riding School and I am trying to gain as much information before actually going ahead with it. I am hoping to have the Livery Yard up and running this year and to gradually start teaching on my own horses. I am in the process of gainning my licence from the council which is needed to start up a Riding School.

I am definately going to have the Livery Yard and the Riding School British Horse Society approved as I feel there is a need for more BHS input in Caithness.

I am planning to work along side the BHS with everything. I am hoping to train riders for their BHS stages - http://www.bhs.org.uk/content/Ods-More.asp?id=1799&pg=Education&spg=Information&area=2.

Hope this helps

Ashleigh X

Good on you Ashleigh!!!

What's the latest on indoor? or is it outdoor you are putting up right now ? what's the crack with planning for that ??

Remember if you want to advertise or doa feature in the new Caithness Equestrian magazine coming out tomorrow for first time - let me know xx

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
09-Jan-09, 15:19
just to let everyone know (I) Hilltoo Horses has a sale on.....for more details PM me also I will be at the working hunter show tomorrow with a stand - well selling out the back of a transit - dingle style.

over-the-ord
09-Jan-09, 16:38
i have 2 just now! plus a little cheeky one out on loan, miss her, cried the day she went, and no doubt will again tomorrow, after seeing her. :~( its hard visiting, when deep down i would love to have her back...

wickchick
09-Jan-09, 16:58
Will have to have a lookie in the transit tomorrow hehe.

I am in the process of doing the outdoor school and going to find out about funding for an indoor school.

Anyway must go get the horses done

Ashleigh X

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
09-Jan-09, 18:04
disaster has struck - the transit has been loaned to someone else...... will likely be the truck and trailer - but will try and get there earlier to get a good place to park !!!

See you tomorrow Ashleigh!

froal
15-Jan-09, 20:06
Hi all.
yip i've a Pony too !
Irsh sports pony 13.2hh tri-coloured called Puzzles he's cool and he really enjoyed the mock hunt now every time i hack out now he just want to run everywhere & cross anything ! great fun :D

Zoe

Katy
16-Jan-09, 10:26
I'm guilty of being horsey too! Have a 15yr old arabxtb mare and hopefully a pony soon for my oldest daughter too!

Kxxx

Rie
16-Jan-09, 11:12
totally horsey house hold here too, i am 32 and have had and worked with horses since i was 3 ........oh i feel old now 28 years in the saddle no wonder my bum is sore!

stretch
16-Jan-09, 13:59
Horsey too, i have a registered highland which im hopefully gonna bring back into work slowly this year after a very long break.

quick question, does anyone own a hay hutch for their horses? looking into buyin one but not too sure as they are a bit expensive for me, just wanted to know if they are worth the money

Thanks

Pony
17-Jan-09, 19:39
Hi
I have horses...mainly they are pets but we do some riding club stuff and hacking whenever we get time. Must start doing more cos they are slimmer and behave much better when in regular work!!

Havent tried hay-hutches but they look good (although I would worry that they might blow away if used in the field).

cullykev
18-Jan-09, 04:38
i have 13 do i count as horsey
13 baker dozen

majic
20-Jan-09, 09:21
not for long 3 should be in foal