PDA

View Full Version : hiccups

butterfly
05-Jan-09, 00:49
does anybody know a cure for hiccups (no wise cracks aboot less alcohol):(

Torvaig
05-Jan-09, 01:03
Take a deep breath and hold it for as long as you can, letting it out very slowly to calm your respiratory system. :)

alanabain
05-Jan-09, 01:03
standing on your head ( not recomended if u have been on the booze lol )

holding your breath

a fright....

Sapphire2803
05-Jan-09, 01:07
Get yourself a large glass of water, take the deepest breath you can and then drink as much of the water as possible before you have to stop and take a breath, drinking the water upside down works best.

Failing that, breathe slowly and deeply into your diaphragm (so that you stomach moves instead of your chest)

butterfly
05-Jan-09, 01:17
thanks folks for your help,i was holding my breath but never knew to exhale slowly,that seems to have done the trick.it was starting to get sore but alls well now:lol:

trix
05-Jan-09, 01:25
'iss aine really works asweel....

get yer pal til close yer lugs closed an drink as much water oot o' a pint gless as ye can, an they really do go awie - never failed me :D

butterfly
05-Jan-09, 01:37
ha ha,will try it next time,their gone for now but thanks trix[lol]

Fran
05-Jan-09, 02:35
standing on your head ( not recomended if u have been on the booze lol )

holding your breath

a fright....

Ha ha.... im just picturing you standing on your head!!!!!

butterfly
05-Jan-09, 03:16
i couldna stand on my head,geez not done that since i was a kid,having trouble getting on my feet most days![lol]

Kodiak
05-Jan-09, 13:57
Or if you can not stop go for the World Record for Hiccups.

Charles Osborne from the USA had them them for 68 Years before they stopped.

muffin
05-Jan-09, 14:33
I do have a method which really works, you ask the person with hiccups to look at the second hand on your watch and keep talking to them, such as 'are you counting the seconds, keep looking' etc.
This usually cures the hiccups pretty quickly, something to do with distracting them and they are expecting you to do something else, I used this many times when teaching.

dragonfly
05-Jan-09, 15:02
guaranteed to work but you need another person (pref someone who knows you very well)

fill a very large glass with water (pint sized glass preferably)
get other person to put their index fingers in your ears (thats why you need to know them very well)
drink water continuously until all gone - DO NOT STOP FOR A BREATH INBETWEEN

your hiccups should now have stopped

alanabain
05-Jan-09, 19:27
Or if you can not stop go for the World Record for Hiccups.

Charles Osborne from the USA had them them for 68 Years before they stopped.

imagine that......

i bet he misses them now. i get very irrated with hiccups.

There is a story on yahoo.co.uk about a man who is having surgery to try and stop him being sick when he is hiccuping.

I would go spare if this was happening to me

domino
05-Jan-09, 20:41
torvaig is quite right. hiccups is the diaphragm going into spasm. Tking deep breaths and exhaling slowly should do the trick but it will take a bit time

cat
05-Jan-09, 23:31
a spoonfull of vinegar!!
not very nice but always works for me,and anyone else i have talked into trying it

trix
06-Jan-09, 00:13
guaranteed to work but you need another person (pref someone who knows you very well)

fill a very large glass with water (pint sized glass preferably)
get other person to put their index fingers in your ears (thats why you need to know them very well)
drink water continuously until all gone - DO NOT STOP FOR A BREATH INBETWEEN

your hiccups should now have stopped

is at no what i said til do? [lol]

ar1ling
06-Jan-09, 02:46
come to c me, i will help you to stop it when you get it next time. very efficient way.:D

scorrie
06-Jan-09, 03:15
Drink six cans of Tizer and then insert a cork in your bottom. With no outlet to the South, the fart will be re-directed North and carry your hiccups clear, with a Barney Gumblesque lip rippling burp. Please remember to remove cork after normal service has been resumed!!

dragonfly
06-Jan-09, 09:05
is at no what i said til do? [lol]

so it was!! great minds think alike Trix ;) sounds daft but this really does work and quickly too

poppett
06-Jan-09, 10:46
Suck a spoonful of sugar or a sugar cube

mm1ii2aa3
06-Jan-09, 14:37
is that what you have done to stop your own hiccups, scorrie?:lol::lol:
Drink six cans of Tizer and then insert a cork in your bottom. With no outlet to the South, the fart will be re-directed North and carry your hiccups clear, with a Barney Gumblesque lip rippling burp. Please remember to remove cork after normal service has been resumed!!