PDA

View Full Version : Acid Reflux

porshiepoo
05-Jan-09, 00:25
Can anyone recommend a quick, reliable medication for Reflux? I hate the liquid type Gaviscon and my gag reflexes kick in just at the sight of the stuff.
I'm off on me hols at the end of the week and I constantly get Reflux and don't want it to ruin my holiday.
Anything that works quick, this is really cheesing me off now. I'm sooooo blooming tired but there's no way i can go to bed [evil]

changilass
05-Jan-09, 00:28
Go see your doc and see if he will prescribe omazeprol (sp?) its the only thing that works for me and its great.

Julia
05-Jan-09, 00:47
Changi's given you good advice there, a prescription for Omeprazole (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100005024.html) is indeed what you tummy needs. ;)

Sapphire2803
05-Jan-09, 01:03
I can't stand the liquids either and I never go to the Doctor unless something is falling off, so I buy Remegel. Anything chalky makes me gag, so they hit the spot just nicely :D

alanabain
05-Jan-09, 01:05
My partener takes omeprazole and its the only thing that works for him.

Comes in several strengths too from the doctor depending on how bad you get it.

I am pregnant so can't use it..... take the chalky rennies instead :(

Torvaig
05-Jan-09, 01:10
If you prefer non-prescription go to Sandy Manson at Reid's the Chemists and ask for a non-brand liquid mixture such as magnesium hydroxide or trisilicate or similar. Much cheaper but still have the effective ingredients....and they are very effective.

Check that they are ok with prescribed medication if you take any....

Gizmo
05-Jan-09, 01:14
I take Nexium, 1 tablet daily, it's the only thing that properly works to control excess stomach acid, get your doctor to prescribe it.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100004304.html

porshiepoo
05-Jan-09, 01:31
I'll try to get in at the docs before I go away cos this is bloomin awful.
I've suffered from it for many years and I've always assumed that it's caused by my medication as it is listed as a side effect.
Until I get in I'll have to try a remedy from the chemist, perhaps I'll try the Remegel as I too cannot stand the chalky stuff.
Thanks you guys for the help.

Gizmo
05-Jan-09, 02:16
I doubt if Remegel will be strong enough for you, sounds like you have the same problem as me and only a prescription remedy is likely to help, even with the Nexium mine still flares up from time to time and the only over the counter remedy that has any kind of effect is Gaviscon Dual Action tablets, they are mint flavoured and not at all chalky, a bit like an old fashioned mint sweet.

Fran
05-Jan-09, 02:25
BicarbonaTE SODA always works and is usually found in a kitchen cupboard.
Ha ha...I must stop using that word "found"!!!!!!!!!!

htwood
05-Jan-09, 04:46
half teaspoon bicarbonate of soda in half glass of water works well. Have you tried figuring out if any particular foods trigger the reflux? Tomato sauce, anything with vinegar in it, citrus? Then you could avoid those foods and feel better without medicine.

ShelleyCowie
05-Jan-09, 10:35
Can anyone recommend a quick, reliable medication for Reflux? I hate the liquid type Gaviscon and my gag reflexes kick in just at the sight of the stuff.
I'm off on me hols at the end of the week and I constantly get Reflux and don't want it to ruin my holiday.
Anything that works quick, this is really cheesing me off now. I'm sooooo blooming tired but there's no way i can go to bed [evil]

Oh my i know how u feel! I had major acid reflux when i was pregnant! Not nice at all! And i gag at the sight of gaviscon too! I used the gaviscon tablets and they did not taste too bad! I couldnt have anything else really because of the pregnancy so i had to make do with them....they helped rather quick but did not last long.

teenybash
05-Jan-09, 11:39
If you want something that will work quickly without going to doc.....Boots, Tesco will have heart burn remedy tablets....look in the ingredients for RANITIDINE or as in the chemist. You can take up to two tabs a day each giving you 12 hours relief.
You can also get ranitidine on prescription if you need a stronger dosage than otc.

Buttercup
05-Jan-09, 14:34
Try a Dairylea triangle (or own brand), sounds odd but does work if you don't/can't/won't take medicines.
But have to agree about Omeprazole, have NEVER had a problem since being prescribed it when it came out a few years ago.

AfternoonDelight
05-Jan-09, 15:16
Did anyone else notice this ad at the top of the page? Oh the irony!! :lol:

"I cured my acid reflux"

Julia
05-Jan-09, 16:11

"I cured my acid reflux"

Excellent stuff, did not notice!!

Highland lad
05-Jan-09, 17:55
I have very bad reflux anything I eat will cause it. I take omeprazole, but I also have to take peptac aswell even though I hate the taste of aniseed but its better than the peppermint. One good thing is peptac is way cheaper than Gaviscon but just as effective.

Best to ask the Doctor.

veritas
05-Jan-09, 21:51
I have suffered reflux for years probably more than 20 plus and was on various prescriptions and used to swallow Zantac by the dozen.

Last year I stopped drinking coffee and within a few weeks my relux vanished!! if you eat and drink less rick food you can control reflux dont eat large quantities dont eat after 6pm and above all avoid coffee (I still took some alchohol not giving everyting up)

daviddd
05-Jan-09, 21:57
fatty food brings it on for me, whilst Rennies get rid of it very quickly.

madmax
05-Jan-09, 22:05
I used to get the Losec tablets ( called Omepresole now ) from the Doc but stopped drinking so much coffee and eating rich foods which helped.
However....as I like my coffee and curries etc again I now buy the Tesco Ranitadine tablets ( £1.60 ish ) and they do the trick.
Price is good and no visit to Doc required :)

dook
05-Jan-09, 22:53

Shake and vac works a treat, and gives you fresh breath.

scorrie
06-Jan-09, 03:22
Does anyone know what difference there is, if any, between Omeprazole an Esomeprazole?

My Son has severe Reflux, that actually led to damage of his vocal chords. He takes Omeprazole but has only limited relief using the drug. He was offered alternative medication but was told that there were serious side-effects, including fits. I just wondered if this other drug was Esomeprazole?

Thank you.

alfie
06-Jan-09, 03:30
i used to get the losec tablets ( called omepresole now ) from the doc but stopped drinking so much coffee and eating rich foods which helped.
However....as i like my coffee and curries etc again i now buy the tesco ranitadine tablets ( £1.60 ish ) and they do the trick.
Price is good and no visit to doc required :)
you can get the ranitidine from the docs and only pay perscription prices for at least 4 times the amount of tablets.
Also try eating an apple - its the acid alckaline trick and boy it does really work!!!

poppett
06-Jan-09, 10:58
s-enantiomers seems to be the only difference.

Nexium and esomeprezole appear to be the same medication.

If reflux is combined with an infection of the gut then Nexium daily plus two different antibiotics for two weeks is prescribed to clear the gut infection. Sometimes the Nexium can be cut down to two or three times a week of when eating a "trigger" food....Pastry in the case of my OH.

He was down to the two or three Nexium a week pre op, but the anaesthetist and consultant both agreed he should have a daily Nexium for the week before his op and he has never been able to go a day without it since.

As with most things medical the side effects are more personal than general.

munchkin
07-Jan-09, 19:44
my husband takes omeprazole also and finds it works he takes one every second day to control the acid doc said this was ok

A9RUNNER
07-Jan-09, 21:56

"I cured my acid reflux"

The adverts pick up keywords from the forum and try to match the subject if they can. I have noticed this on several forums I visit. Just dont start talking about cross dressing poodles for goodness sake!!

Gizmo
07-Jan-09, 22:49
s-enantiomers seems to be the only difference.

Nexium and esomeprezole appear to be the same medication.

If reflux is combined with an infection of the gut then Nexium daily plus two different antibiotics for two weeks is prescribed to clear the gut infection. Sometimes the Nexium can be cut down to two or three times a week of when eating a "trigger" food....Pastry in the case of my OH.

He was down to the two or three Nexium a week pre op, but the anaesthetist and consultant both agreed he should have a daily Nexium for the week before his op and he has never been able to go a day without it since.

As with most things medical the side effects are more personal than general.

Nexium is just a brand name