PDA

View Full Version : Why does Thurso/Wick not have a farmers Market?

the_big_mac
04-Jan-09, 21:10
As the title says. Is there a reason why? I know Wick occasionally has something on a Saturday. But I was told it was really only local eggs and a bit of homebaking that was on the stalls?

I would love to spend my hard earned on locally produced goods, and to see whats on offer.

Are there any local producers out there who would take up the opportunity?

Are there plenty of folk out there who would like to see such a thing, and be willing to use it and support it?

Kodiak
04-Jan-09, 21:27
I would love to see a Farmers Market, either in Thurso or Wick. If in Wick I would be more than happy to drive through as well.

I can not see it happening as I am quite sure the Local Shops would object strongly if it ever was seriously proposed.

When my Mother was stll alive I used to travel to vist her and where she lived they had a Farmers Market once a Month. It was really great and had such things as Wild Boar Pies and Bacon plus all the other normal Produce. They used to do very well and the locals appreciated it.

So if it did ever happen in Caithness I would be one of the first to be a Customer.

the_big_mac
04-Jan-09, 21:36
I would love to see a Farmers Market, either in Thurso or Wick. If in Wick I would be more than happy to drive through as well.

I can not see it happening as I am quite sure the Local Shops would object strongly if it ever was seriously proposed.

When my Mother was stll alive I used to travel to vist her and where she lived they had a Farmers Market once a Month. It was really great and had such things as Wild Boar Pies and Bacon plus all the other normal Produce. They used to do very well and the locals appreciated it.

So if it did ever happen in Caithness I would be one of the first to be a Customer.

Why do you think to local traders would object? Barely any of them are providing what a Farmers Market would. If anything it would bring business back to there door steps. Thurso and Wick's precinct are a sorry sight these days, surely anything to get them buzzing again would be welcomed.

ShelleyCowie
04-Jan-09, 21:51
I would love to spend my money on local trade too! But you can never be certain that people will buy the produce so then they would loose out on money! :confused

hell raizer
04-Jan-09, 21:56
thats a good idea, we could do with a bit of variety, oooops i'm thinking of my stomach again :roll:

Bad Manners
04-Jan-09, 22:23
A farmers market would get my vote . I'm all for helping the local growers

highlander
04-Jan-09, 22:51
Because there would propably be to many people saying they could get things cheaper in tescos, some folk dont care about quality only cheaper prices.

Torvaig
05-Jan-09, 01:35
You have it is one Highlander; yes, there are a lot of people who like fresh produce straight from the farm but I wouldn't think there would be enough customers to make the farmers much profit after cleaning, packing and transporting them to a market. They are better selling to the butchers...

At one time Peter Oag had a farm shop; he is just outside of Wick (Waterloo Farm) on the main Thurso road, on the right hand side. There is a large grain dryer on it's side which makes the place easily recognisable.

Check with your regular local butcher as to where they get their vegetables and make the most of them when really fresh is available. If you have a large enough deep freeze you can par-boil the veg or make loads of condensed vegetable soup to which you can add further ingredients when you defrost it.

Kevin Milkins
05-Jan-09, 02:04
I used to grow a lot of veg when I lived in Shropshire and any over stock used to go on to the thriving Saturday market in the town.

I also would like to be able to suport a regular grower of fresh veg and produce in the town.

I have already mentioned that I think the Woolworths shop would lend itself to an indoor market with a variety of small stalls selling localy produced goods of all types .

I am not keen on standing in Wick high street when its wet and windy to buy my veg but I would support local suppliers under cover.

muffin
05-Jan-09, 14:38
I would definitely like a Farmers Market and the idea of using Woollies is brilliant, could make it a mini market for all sorts and get some more trade going in Wick which always looks deserted when I go.

scorrie
05-Jan-09, 16:04
I would definitely like a Farmers Market and the idea of using Woollies is brilliant, could make it a mini market for all sorts and get some more trade going in Wick which always looks deserted when I go.

I am fairly certain that the rent/rates involved in a premises the size/location of Woolies would be horrendous. Add in the cost of heating/lighting etcetera and you are talking about a major hike in prices to make the business viable. With Butchers just up the road and supermarkets reasonably close at hand, I would rate it nigh on impossible to sell enough goods, at a competitive price, to make it a realistic proposition.

Theo Paphitis says:- "I'm OUT"

golach
05-Jan-09, 16:19
I am fairly certain that the rent/rates involved in a premises the size/location of Woolies would be horrendous. Add in the cost of heating/lighting etcetera and you are talking about a major hike in prices to make the business viable. With Butchers just up the road and supermarkets reasonably close at hand, I would rate it nigh on impossible to sell enough goods, at a competitive price, to make it a realistic proposition.

Theo Paphitis says:- "I'm OUT"
I agree the costs would/could be very prohibitive, we in Edinburgh have a well established Weekly Farmers open air market, but as you can see by the link I have posted, you need licenses, to run this type of function, and who foots the bill for that. Hope your farmers market is run by a better bunch than the one in Edinburgh

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/scotland/Farmers-hold-crisis-talks-over.4700102.jp

Angela
05-Jan-09, 16:39
We lived near Cupar (population about 9,000) for a few years. There was a farmer's market once a month on a Saturday and it did a really brisk trade. On the other Saturdays the market was held in turn in St Andrews, Kirkcaldy and Dunfermline.

Cupar's town centre had become a lot quieter since the arrival of a medium sized Tesco on the edge of the town, and the farmer's market did seem to bring more shoppers into town, so the local shops and cafes benefitted as well. The local Pipe Band would play too. :)

It was only once a month though, using half of the main carpark, and was only one of many ways that the traders were selling their produce. I don't think it could possibly have worked as a permanent thing.

It does suggest that Wick and/or Thurso could perhaps sustain a monthly or fortnightly market though.

Oops forgot the link....

http://www.fifefarmersmarket.co.uk/cupar/index.htm

dirdyweeker
05-Jan-09, 19:36
I also would like to be able to suport a regular grower of fresh veg and produce in the town.

I am fairly certain you can buy fresh veg at the Wellington Centre at Wick's Airport Industrial estate. Not sure how it all works.
Did someone not try selling fresh veg in the old "Lunchbox" shop in Sinclair Terrace too? Don't know what became of it.

Ash
05-Jan-09, 19:54
I am fairly certain you can buy fresh veg at the Wellington Centre at Wick's Airport Industrial estate. Not sure how it all works.
Did someone not try selling fresh veg in the old "Lunchbox" shop in Sinclair Terrace too? Don't know what became of it.

yeah my mother and father in law take us up fresh veg from the old lunchbox... its lovely veg

Kevin Milkins
05-Jan-09, 20:08

I did go along there in the day time once and no sign of life or a notice on opening hours.:confused

dirdyweeker
05-Jan-09, 20:17
yeah my mother and father in law take us up fresh veg from the old lunchbox... its lovely veg

so, what happened to it? Was it not popular?

igglepiggle
05-Jan-09, 20:19
i think this would be a fab idea, i think it would also bring more trade to the shops on the street if held close by. i agree that an indoors place would be good in the winter time especially for the weather. inverness has a good choice off goods when they have theirs on the saturday, and the veg is massive and good, their stalls are always busy!!

Ash
05-Jan-09, 20:36
so, what happened to it? Was it not popular?

i actually dont know
i will ask them and see what they say.....
shame if its closed
there carrots where yummy

the_big_mac
06-Jan-09, 13:58
Obviously since I started the thread I would love to see something like this happen in Caithness.

I find it hard to believe that we dont have one when you consider the land and what is produced on it that surrounds us. Where does it all go?

dirdyweeker
06-Jan-09, 15:48
Where does it all go?

Well I do know that the local butchers sell local vegetables as does the Co-op in Wick. Perhaps most of the farmers have local outlets and we are just unaware of them.

No-one know about the veg for sale at the Wellington Centre?

Kirdon
06-Jan-09, 16:03
Well I do know that the local butchers sell local vegetables as does the Co-op in Wick. Perhaps most of the farmers have local outlets and we are just unaware of them.

I think you are right its just a case of tracking them down. some are easy for example. John o goat tatties are advertised as such and as far as i know Mr mowat grows them in caithness!. But i,m sure someone will probably tell me different.

Torvaig
06-Jan-09, 16:24
Obviously since I started the thread I would love to see something like this happen in Caithness.

I find it hard to believe that we dont have one when you consider the land and what is produced on it that surrounds us. Where does it all go?

A lot of the veg you see growing locally is not all sold to the public but used to feed stock and helps to ensure the quality of the meat. As has been said before, check with your local butcher for fresh veg produced in Caithness. Wick Co-op used to sell local stuff at one time; don't know if they still do.

It's all very well wanting local veg but are there enough customers willing to shop outwith the hallowed Tesco? The vegetables are obviously very fresh when the growers deliver them but who knows how long they may be sitting in a shop....

It would be marvellous if the local Council, government et all would make premises available at an economic price to those who produce vegetables, be it in large or small quantities. There are often schemes set up to award employers funds to further their businessess so maybe it is time to do the same for potential local markets that the public want, especially with all the empty buildings deteriorating in front of our very eyes.

The best way to sell fresh veg is to sell direct to the public from a van going round the streets at least twice a week to supply those who want it. With many people working during the day it does mean that finding hours to suit everyone would be nigh impossible.

Selling from a van has been tried in the past with some success but people don't realise the work involved. To ensure freshness the veg has to be picked as near to selling time as possible; washed, weighed and bagged, loaded into a vehicle and taken round the doors or to a shop.

It means an early morning start, trying to find your customers at home (who is willing to stay at home to catch the tattie man?) then finding an outlet for the veg left over. And don't forget, vegetable growers live out in the country and there will be fuel costs as well as travelling time.

Good luck to anyone who wants to try it! :)

theone
06-Jan-09, 16:33
I noticed a "farm shop" sign a couple of weeks ago around the back of Skinandis where the citizens advice place is/was.

I can't remember exactly what was advertised but I'm sure it was open a couple of days a week.

Maybe not a farmers market but I'm sure you could get your local veg there.

Does anyone know more about this business?

A9RUNNER
06-Jan-09, 16:59
I admit most of our shopping is done in tescos and lidls and the coop. However all our meat is bought from the local butcher and l am sure that they use local produce. I also go to the local bakers and fishmonger. 99% of the time I get local free range eggs and honey. I would love to see a local farmers market and would use it but I am not sure how well it would work, It may be a good idea to run one through the summer months and I am pretty sure the tourists would love to see local produce being sold and it would keep them in the town centres spending money.

the_big_mac
06-Jan-09, 18:29
I admit most of our shopping is done in tescos and lidls and the coop. However all our meat is bought from the local butcher and l am sure that they use local produce. I also go to the local bakers and fishmonger. 99% of the time I get local free range eggs and honey. I would love to see a local farmers market and would use it but I am not sure how well it would work, It may be a good idea to run one through the summer months and I am pretty sure the tourists would love to see local produce being sold and it would keep them in the town centres spending money.

Thats pretty much the same as me. I buy what I can locally, however there is so much you just dont see. Game for example. Local shellfish. I know where I can get it, but it involves planning in advance. As far as im aware the beef and lamb we get from our butchers are local, however the pigs and poultry seem to from else where. Hopefully someone will assure me im wrong!

We only really see root veg for sale in the butchers, coop in the winter, and soft fruits in the summer. I cant beleive there isnt more grown up here and sold locally. Maybe its the case.

When I think of the produce that could be available up here, and find it an effort to buy, is it little wonder folk are so happy to spend all there hard earned in Tesco. But maybe thats half the charm of finding something good and local?

Boss
06-Jan-09, 18:59
Thats pretty much the same as me. I buy what I can locally, however there is so much you just dont see. Game for example. Local shellfish. I know where I can get it, but it involves planning in advance. As far as im aware the beef and lamb we get from our butchers are local, however the pigs and poultry seem to from else where. Hopefully someone will assure me im wrong!

We only really see root veg for sale in the butchers, coop in the winter, and soft fruits in the summer. I cant beleive there isnt more grown up here and sold locally. Maybe its the case.

When I think of the produce that could be available up here, and find it an effort to buy, is it little wonder folk are so happy to spend all there hard earned in Tesco. But maybe thats half the charm of finding something good and local?

All of the fruit and veg sold in this area is transported from Glasgow,
As a producer, we have found it most difficult to get the butchers and other shops interested in our products therefore, the end result being that our livestock will be sold to the slaughterhouses, thereby, upping the costs to you, the consumer.
In due course, we will be selling direct from farm to consumer, but like everything else in the modern world, there are so many rules and regulations involved in such an enterprise, for many farmers, the red tape, can simply be too time consuming, too expensive to set up, where there may not be a market, local or otherwise.

Venture
06-Jan-09, 19:19
I'm sure I read an advert in the Groat recently from someone who was starting up a delivery service of boxes of fresh local grown vegetables.

dirdyweeker
06-Jan-09, 19:21
I'm sure I read an advert in the Groat recently from someone who was starting up a delivery service of boxes of fresh local grown vegetables.

that has been talked about on the org before but nothing seems to materialise. Think Bill himself knew about it.

beelag2000
06-Jan-09, 20:07
Hi Boss
Your not quite right in saying that all fruit n veg comes from Glasgow, I know that it might be a small percentage of the total but local butchers carry local eggs neeps tatties carrots cabbage brocolli sprouts and cauliflower when they are in season.
Within 1 mile of me there are 2 farms that have supplied them for more than 40 years.
It maybe needs a bit of advertising and this thread might do that,
all power to local produced stuff.

Torvaig
06-Jan-09, 23:26
The shop in Halkirk (Mackays) sells local fresh meat, fish, fruit and veg and have an instore bakery as well! And of course there is the fruit growers, Sutherlands, Harpsdale, Halkirk so Halkirk seems to be one of the places to go to for local produce!

There also local farmers who sell direct in the form of packs for freezing and they advertise in the John O'Groat Journal.

There is obviously fresh produce available in Caithness but to get it under the one roof so to speak, is a different story but maybe, if the producers see or hear of this thread, they may be persuaded to hire the Woolworth's building occasionally.......and of course, they would need the support....would people from Reay, Thurso, Berriedale, Canisbay etc., want to travel all that way....

Torvaig
06-Jan-09, 23:31
that has been talked about on the org before but nothing seems to materialise. Think Bill himself knew about it.

Again, for anyone to commit to supplying these boxes they would need to know they had a sustainable customer base. I still think Tesco will win out over all and those who are willing to pay the cost of local produce will continue to do so. After all, someone does know about and is using these local producers....

scorrie
07-Jan-09, 00:21
A lot of the veg you see growing locally is not all sold to the public but used to feed stock and helps to ensure the quality of the meat. As has been said before, check with your local butcher for fresh veg produced in Caithness. Wick Co-op used to sell local stuff at one time; don't know if they still do.

It's all very well wanting local veg but are there enough customers willing to shop outwith the hallowed Tesco? The vegetables are obviously very fresh when the growers deliver them but who knows how long they may be sitting in a shop....

It would be marvellous if the local Council, government et all would make premises available at an economic price to those who produce vegetables, be it in large or small quantities. There are often schemes set up to award employers funds to further their businessess so maybe it is time to do the same for potential local markets that the public want, especially with all the empty buildings deteriorating in front of our very eyes.

The best way to sell fresh veg is to sell direct to the public from a van going round the streets at least twice a week to supply those who want it. With many people working during the day it does mean that finding hours to suit everyone would be nigh impossible.

Selling from a van has been tried in the past with some success but people don't realise the work involved. To ensure freshness the veg has to be picked as near to selling time as possible; washed, weighed and bagged, loaded into a vehicle and taken round the doors or to a shop.

It means an early morning start, trying to find your customers at home (who is willing to stay at home to catch the tattie man?) then finding an outlet for the veg left over. And don't forget, vegetable growers live out in the country and there will be fuel costs as well as travelling time.

Good luck to anyone who wants to try it! :)

I remember a guy in Wick in the Mid-Nineties who put flyers round for a groceries van business he was starting up. I recall that he had stated that prices would vary from week to week, but would always be competitive. I think the guy's name was Josh but I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about the van and I assume things didn't work out.

Venture
07-Jan-09, 00:49
No Scorrie he did start up with his van. I don't think he lasted long though. Supermarket competition again.

Venture
07-Jan-09, 01:05
Tescos might not have the same quality but they do provide a service which gives you veg. washed and cut. It's easier for most folk to buy a bag of diced turnip and carrot ready for the pot, rather than have to buy and prepare it themselves. Even onions come ready washed and chopped. Busy housewives today prefer it that way and its cheaper. I personally buy local fresh veg when I can, you can't beat a Caithness neep for taste. If someone offered a service of delivering fresh local veg on a weekly basis, I would go for it.

sweetpea
07-Jan-09, 01:13

Your right about the butcher you can get meat, poultry, eggs and veg in the butcher.

Years ago veg was grown at the Wellington Centre when it was Wick Training Centre, it was never intended fo profit though.

Metalattakk
07-Jan-09, 01:29
I noticed a "farm shop" sign a couple of weeks ago around the back of Skinandis where the citizens advice place is/was.

I can't remember exactly what was advertised but I'm sure it was open a couple of days a week.

Maybe not a farmers market but I'm sure you could get your local veg there.

Does anyone know more about this business?

If I'm not mistaken, I think that's former Grove Lounge owner Leslie MacLean's "LRM Services", they supply quite a few of the local hotels and restaurants with tatties/chips and fresh veg.

dirdyweeker
07-Jan-09, 11:10
Years ago veg was grown at the Wellington Centre when it was Wick Training Centre, it was never intended fo profit though.

No, I am not talking years ago. There is a new group who have the Wellington Centre now and they seemingly (about 6 months ago) were selling veg. It was available to the public but I never did visit.