PDA

View Full Version : AOL Broadband

dragonfly
04-Jan-09, 15:06
I have been looking around to reduce the cost of my broadband costs as with AOL on their Platinum package which cost £29.99/month and was "out of contract" as I have been on it for so long.

Looked around on Broadband Choice (http://www.broadbandchoice.co.uk/compare/broadband-deals/all.html) and found O2 had a package similar to AOL's but for £17.22/month (as an existing O2 mobile customer).

Called AOL to cancel my contract and to request a MAC code only to be told that as I was out of contract and was told I qualified for a loyalty package and basically I could get the same deal as I am currently on for £15.99 a month!!

so if anyone else is with AOL and past their initial contract time, give them a call to see what deal you can get yourself

call 0844 499 5555 - don't know what option as there were loads, just hit and hope!

forevera123
04-Jan-09, 15:44
thank you very much, i will try it again. it is what happened to me when i required the MAC first time, the AOl wanted me to staying the contract by offering me a free wireless roughter which was only availeble for new customers at that time. :D

Kevin Milkins
04-Jan-09, 16:28
I binned AOL last April and got the same responce after being with them for many years.

I went to BT and feel what I am getting now to reprosent very good value for money and serves all my reqiurments and my speeds have improved considerbly.(the speeds was why I looked else where in the first place)

I just seen an advert on TV for a Broadband Broker called www.broadbandchoices.co.uk (http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk) and although I have not had a look it may be a good place to start.

The very fact AOL can charge someone twice as much as they need to made me feel that I had been ripped off for a long period and no longer wanted to do buisness with them at any price.
Good luck with your search.

slinky
04-Jan-09, 18:46
I have been looking around to reduce the cost of my broadband costs as with AOL on their Platinum package which cost £29.99/month and was "out of contract" as I have been on it for so long.

Looked around on Broadband Choice (http://www.broadbandchoice.co.uk/compare/broadband-deals/all.html) and found O2 had a package similar to AOL's but for £17.22/month (as an existing O2 mobile customer).

Called AOL to cancel my contract and to request a MAC code only to be told that as I was out of contract and was told I qualified for a loyalty package and basically I could get the same deal as I am currently on for £15.99 a month!!

so if anyone else is with AOL and past their initial contract time, give them a call to see what deal you can get yourself

call 0844 499 5555 - don't know what option as there were loads, just hit and hope!
i did e same but knowing i hadnt signed a contract in years im paying wot u are now and wot u used to be plus got my second free router as ive been we them for 6 years

dragonfly
04-Jan-09, 19:30
The very fact AOL can charge someone twice as much as they need to made me feel that I had been ripped off for a long period and no longer wanted to do buisness with them at any price.
Good luck with your search.

I went off on one while on the phone for that exact reason Kevin, poor guy was very apologetic and said I'd been sent emails saying I was entitled to better deals (not that I recall any) but seeing as it was a much better deal without hassle of informing everyone of new email addresses decided to stay put. We've not had any probs with speeds, quite happy there so another reason for staying with them.

just shows that its worth questioning be it broadband or mobile providers, they want to keep you as a customer but unfortunately you have to go to them before they'll let you know they can give you a cheaper deal

Bobinovich
04-Jan-09, 21:55
This is true of many repeating bills - Sky, mobile, phone/broadband, insurance (home & car) - if you indicate your intention to leave then they'll often offer incentives to stay. If they don't play ball then there are plenty of other fish in the sea to try.

It's one of my biggest bugbears - these companies should be offering incentives to keep their EXISTING customers happy, not just giving the best deals to new ones [disgust]

Metalattakk
04-Jan-09, 22:59
Thing is, you call these people up to cancel your contract and the poor sap on the 'phone offers you the moon on a stick. So you agree not to cancel your contract.

This goes down on the record as a 'save' and the poor sap gets a wee bonus for 'saving' another customer. But, he's just as likely to not provide the suggested offer at all - after all, you've agreed to stay and he'll still get his wee bonus.

Then when you 'phone up again in a few weeks threatening to leave, there's another chance to earn a wee bonus!

Best thing to do is to stick to your guns and insist upon the cancellation.

forevera123
04-Jan-09, 23:18
wow, what a great suggestion! my life would be much more busier by doing that, and possibly there will be more extra money in my pocket.:D:lol:

Best thing to do is to stick to your guns and insist upon the cancellation.