PDA

View Full Version : Any natural cures for sickness?

Liz
04-Jan-09, 09:37
My sister and I have one of the awful viruses doing the rounds and the worse part is the constant nausea and vomiting.

Can anyone recommend something to help as we are both shattered as can't get any sleep at all?

Thanks.

newpark
04-Jan-09, 10:25
I once heard that 7up or lemonade is supposed to help settle a sicky tummy. Good Luck and hope you find something to help you feel better.

Kathy@watten
04-Jan-09, 10:56
HI sorry to hear you are sick, ginger is widely used as an anti sickness remedy during pregnancy and other illness I found this worked well for me I just nibbled a wee ginger oatcake and drank ginger and lemon tea...also I was getting some food value too. hope you feel better soon.

Angela
04-Jan-09, 11:35
So sorry to hear that Liz, what a rotten start to 2009 for you.:(

Ginger does help and is the most natural thing I can think of -i.e. ginger & lemon tea.

I find flat coke/pepsi helps too -pour it out and leave it until the bubbles subside. Lucozade works for me as well but seems to make some folk worse.

Try to nibble tiny amounts of really dry things such as toast or biscuits -just a wee bit to see if it stays down at first.

I do hope you and your sister will be feeling better soon.

Liz
04-Jan-09, 11:58
Thanks very much everyone for the advice.

Will try the flat coke to start with and see how we get on.

If we could just get some sleep it might help!

My sympathy to all who is suffering from this. It is really nasty!

Lavenderblue2
04-Jan-09, 12:03
Travel sickness tablets are a great help with the lingering nausea.

Get well soon.

Kevin Milkins
04-Jan-09, 12:24
Sorry to here you both not well Liz.
If you are needing anything droped off IE ginger ,coke etc give us a shout and get well soon.

Alice in Blunderland
04-Jan-09, 12:36
Sorry to here you both not well Liz.
If you are needing anything droped off IE ginger ,coke etc give us a shout and get well soon.

Aww Kevin what a lovely gesture.................... :)

erm Im needing a pint of milk and some butter you wouldnt mind nipping out with it cheers ;)

Venture
04-Jan-09, 12:37
So sorry to hear you and your sister are both laid up Liz. There are some awful bugs doing the rounds, our family have unfortunately had the flu one. My son thought he had escaped it, went to the street party and next day couldn't lift his head off the pillow. The majority of his friends who were with him seem to have picked it up there as well. I seem to have had a cough for weeks and feel that I now should have shares in Kleenex the amount I have gone through over the past month. Chickenpox is raging amongst the younger ones and I think most homes have been hit one way or another. I feel for you having a sick bug. I hate being sick. The flat coke is what I would recommend too. Make sure you keep warm and drink as much fluids as you can keep down. You don't want to become dehydrated. The last time I had a sick bug someone recommended sucking a boiled fruit sweetie to take the awful taste away. I bought Fox's Glacier Fruits and found they did the trick. I hope you are both on the mend soon. It's not a very good start to the new year but hopefully you will feel better soon. Take care.

teenybash
04-Jan-09, 12:51
Would go with what everyone has said....all great remedies. Ginger tea for nausea and flat coke to rehydrate..............Hope you are better soon.
A tip to prevent succumbing to tummy bugs is to take a gulp of cider apple vinegar everyday...................if that sounds too awful you can put a tspnfl in a 1/2 glass of water with a little honey................Get well soon.:)

Liz
04-Jan-09, 13:37
Thanks ever so much everyone and, bless you Kevin for the offer. Very kind of you.

This is the org at it's best!

forevera123
04-Jan-09, 15:35
as i know, the sour snacks like very sour prums will stop me vomiting. and that works for my friends and families if anyone of them get pregnacy morning sick.hope it will work for you.good luck:D

Liz
04-Jan-09, 16:46
Travel sickness tablets are a great help with the lingering nausea.

Get well soon.

Thanks. Unfortunately we don't have any but Kevin has kindly offered to get some tomorrow.
Really hope they work as we are absolutely shattered. It's been a loooooonnnngg day and, if last night is anything to go by, it will be a long night as well.

Anji
04-Jan-09, 18:21
Try using an extra pillow or two when you go to bed tonight. If you keep your head/shoulders raised a bit, it should stop you feeling so sick.
I hope you get at least a few hours tonight.

ShelleyCowie
04-Jan-09, 18:28
I have to sat ginger aswell! I sat and ate about 4-5 ginger nuts when i was feeling sick during pregnancy and it took the feeling away about 20 minutes later!

And when i had a sick bug too i tried then too and they helped quite a bit But suppose everybody is different!

Get well soon!

teenybash
04-Jan-09, 18:40
Another tip to get instant relief for nausea is to eat an icecube......crunch it like a sweet....if your teath can stand it.:eek::confused

unicornleather
04-Jan-09, 19:10
Nothing worse than feeling sick is there, some good replies from everyone so nothing to add other than I hope you are feeling better soon, Oz :)

Lavenderblue2
04-Jan-09, 19:32
Thanks. Unfortunately we don't have any but Kevin has kindly offered to get some tomorrow.
Really hope they work as we are absolutely shattered. It's been a loooooonnnngg day and, if last night is anything to go by, it will be a long night as well.

It is really worth a try Liz - I remember being so desperate once when my son had been sick all he could and was just retching and retching so I gave him 'Sealegs' and it worked. When we saw Dr Deans the next day (yes, it was a long time ago) I told him what I given my son and he said it had been a brilliant idea.

Hope you have a better night - Kevin is a star!!

Liz
04-Jan-09, 19:34
Cheers everyone. I really appreciate your kindness.

Teenybash I'm afraid I have sinusitis as well which is making my teeth really sensitive so don't think I'll risk the ice cube!:confused

Anji I did try sleeping on an extra pillow last night but didn't help I'm afraid.

My legs are now agony and get so cold. I have two baths and still can't get them to warm up!

I have quite a few illnesses including Crohns so think it is hitting extra hard.

Hopefully, the travel sickness tablets will help and am still taking flat coke alternated with ginger ale.

If I could just get some sleep it would be such a relief but the waves of nausea are so strong they make it impossible.

This is my second day but,for some reason, today was worse and my sister is also getting worse instead of better.
I was hoping it would get a bit easier as time goes by.:confused

I know that there are many suffering from some kind of horrible bug so am not alone.

Thanks again everyone. You are a great bunch.:D

Angela
04-Jan-09, 19:48
Ooooooh Liz, if you're not feeling a lot better by tomorrow, perhaps you should try to get a home visit from your GP?

I'd a bout of very bad sickness and nausea a couple of years ago and had to get an NHS 24 doctor out to see me at the weekend as I was so ill. She gave me an anti-nausea injection straight away and a prescription for anti-sickness tablets that I had to take three times a day for five days.

It seemed to be 'just a bug', but like you I had other complicating health conditions, and the doctor took it very seriously and said I was right to call someone out.

Natural remedies and OTC medicines are fine for a couple of days and often all that's required, but if you haven't improved after 48 hours I do think you should at least call the doctor for advice.

Yes, yes, I know I'm an old nag...and not for the first time! ;) but please do take care of yourself. :)

ciderally
04-Jan-09, 20:00
hope you both feel better soon...xx

Liz
04-Jan-09, 20:48
It is really worth a try Liz - I remember being so desperate once when my son had been sick all he could and was just retching and retching so I gave him 'Sealegs' and it worked. When we saw Dr Deans the next day (yes, it was a long time ago) I told him what I given my son and he said it had been a brilliant idea.

Hope you have a better night - Kevin is a star!!

The ginger ale seems to be helping a bit for now. The wonderful Kevin got this for me!I will still get the travel sickness tablets and think it would be a good idea to have some in the house in case the lurgy strikes again!

Ooooooh Liz, if you're not feeling a lot better by tomorrow, perhaps you should try to get a home visit from your GP?

I'd a bout of very bad sickness and nausea a couple of years ago and had to get an NHS 24 doctor out to see me at the weekend as I was so ill. She gave me an anti-nausea injection straight away and a prescription for anti-sickness tablets that I had to take three times a day for five days.

It seemed to be 'just a bug', but like you I had other complicating health conditions, and the doctor took it very seriously and said I was right to call someone out.

Natural remedies and OTC medicines are fine for a couple of days and often all that's required, but if you haven't improved after 48 hours I do think you should at least call the doctor for advice.

Yes, yes, I know I'm an old nag...and not for the first time! ;) but please do take care of yourself. :)

You are not a nag at all Angela. Just a lovely caring lady! xxx

Unfortunately my sister will lose a week's wages which is a pain (even sickening!:confused)but health is more important. Just seems a shame you have to lose money when you are genuinely ill.

Here's hoping for some sleep tonight. Thanks again everyone. I truly appreciate your advice and support.

Liz
04-Jan-09, 20:50
hope you both feel better soon...xx

Thanks ciderally. Much appreciated.:D

Margaret M.
04-Jan-09, 21:10
What a bummer -- I hope you both feel better soon. As some others have said ginger and peppermint are your best bets for nausea and vomiting. Make a cup of ginger tea by slicing a few slivers of raw ginger and adding it to boiling water. Let it stand until it's cool enough to sip. You can also chew a small piece of raw ginger. It should really help the vomiting and nausea to subside. I eat raw/pickled ginger all the time -- love it.

If you have some, put a drop or two of peppermint oil on your tongue. If that's not appealing, just sniffing the peppermint oil is enough to stop vomiting and nausea. Sucking peppermint candy is also good.

I hope you find something that works so you can get a decent sleep.

Kevin, you are one sweet guy!

Welcomefamily
04-Jan-09, 21:11
The benefits of Ginger: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/610455/using_ginger_in_the_treatment_of_travel.html?cat=6 8

Juice from canned peaches also works.

For sickness/food poisoning, very burnt toast or black tea both contain toxins, carbon from the burnt toast, the tannic acid from the tea that create the neutralizing effect.

Egg whites prevent bowel discomfort, can be cooked.
Hope you feel better soon.

twiglet
04-Jan-09, 21:19
A nurse friend told me to boil lemonade, let it cool and then drink it. To keep hydrated drink boiled water with a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar in it.

Other than that small sips of water regularly and starve for 24 hrs. I had it twice last year and I was v. ill so I hope you are better soon and sympathise.

Angela
04-Jan-09, 21:28
I'd forgotten about boiled lemonade - I was given that as child and I used to give it to my own kids as well, but more for colds and sore throats than sickness I think. :confused

I do remember being given whisked up raw egg white too when I was a wee girl. My dad was a vet and swore by it as a remedy for sick dogs to line their stomachs ...and you know why they say 'as sick as a dog'..... :eek:

Fran
05-Jan-09, 02:38
[quote=Alice in Blunderland;477667]Aww Kevin what a lovely gesture.................... :)

Typical of Kevin and his wife, very kind and helpful, lovely couple.

attielattie
05-Jan-09, 16:57
Hi Liz, sounds like good advice for the nausea. I'm not sure if you'd be interested in my "cure" for sinusitis. I've suffered from this since I was wee and for the last year I've been using a "neti pot" to clear out my sinuses and, believe me, it is brilliant - the link is www.netipot.co.uk (http://www.netipot.co.uk) - I know it sounds pretty yuck but it does work. You pour warm salty water up one nostril and it comes out the other - honestly, you can't feel the water up your nose at all (and believe me, I'm someone who has to wear a noseplug when I'm swimming cos I hate water getting up my nose!!).
I would definitely recommend it - I used to get the headaches, my upper teeth would ache, feel sick etc that went with sinusitis - now, if I feel it coming on, I use the "snotty pot" as I call it and it clears up.
Hope you've got rid of the nausea - what an awful way to spend your break :-(

Iffy
05-Jan-09, 18:37
Hi Liz,

I know exactly how you must be feeling !!

I've had the same bug since Friday, and its SO horrible!! I really can't mind the last time I have felt so blooming ill !!

My OH had to leave for a two week job today and wasn't keen at all leaving me so ill, but my Dad phoned and offered to get some ginger for me, he swears by this remedy too. Asked him to maybe drop some by tomorrow, as like you, Liz I am having major problems sleeping too with that dreadful nausea sensation going on, though adding an extra pillow to my bed last night did ease the sickness a little!!

Really hope me, you and your sister manage to get some sleep tonight and hopefully feel, even a wee bit, better tomorrow !!!

Really feel for you both !!!! x

Liz
05-Jan-09, 19:22
Thanks again everyone.

Well thanks to Kevin (totally agree with you Fran!)the nausea is now a lot better so did manage to get some much needed sleep for which I am truly grateful.
Feeling really yuck though as the bug has made all my other illnesses flare up even more.
Thankfully, my sister is feeling a wee bit better now although very,very weak.

I am glad we have decided to go for electric central heating as taking in coal and taking off the ashes has been a real pain (literally!lol). Also, there's been the wild birds and stray cats to feed but, bless them, they rely on us.

Thanks for the advice attielattie. I will definitely get a 'snotty pot'!lol
My teeth and ears are aching just now so would be good to get something which will help.

Oh Iffy I empathise with you and really hope the ginger helps you and you get some sleep tonight. I'm sure it will as this is what helped me the most.
Wishing you a very speedy recovery. Take care.xxx

Kevin Milkins
09-Jan-09, 18:29
Does anyone know how Liz and her sister Margeret is just now?

She has been very ill with this nasty bug that is doing the rounds and it has knocked her for six.

I have been in touch via the org but she has not logged on for over two days and I have no other contact for her to see how she is doing.

If anyone is in contact via phone etc, could you let me know.
Regards KM

carasmam
09-Jan-09, 18:35
Kevin, I have emailed her but if it's a pc problem we wont be any further on. I dont have a phone number for her so fingers crossed she gets in touch soon and they are both well again :)

Bazeye
09-Jan-09, 18:46
My sister and I have one of the awful viruses doing the rounds and the worse part is the constant nausea and vomiting.

Can anyone recommend something to help as we are both shattered as can't get any sleep at all?

Thanks.

Sorry, cant ,but if ever youre suffering from seasickness the best cure is to sit under a tree.;)

Kevin Milkins
10-Jan-09, 16:07
I am pleased to report that Liz has been in touch and they are on the mend.

The reason for not logging for the last few days is that her Computer is not feeling very well now and requires a new hard drive.

She has ask me to pass on her thanks to all that have been concerned about them and hope to be back on line ASAP.

carasmam
10-Jan-09, 16:33
Thanks for the update Kevin. :D

Bazeye
10-Jan-09, 18:03
I am pleased to report that Liz has been in touch and they are on the mend.

The reason for not logging for the last few days is that her Computer is not feeling very well now

It hasnt caught her virus has it?

_Ju_
10-Jan-09, 21:24
Try very small sips of lucosade or (even better) coca cola, vigourously stirred to remove the gas. Don't eat anything. When you have to eat something, have rich tea biscuits dipped in tea (preferably red bush tea with sugar or just plain black tea with sugar). Avoid all milk and milk products ( yoghurt, butter, cheese, cream, etc).

JAWS
11-Jan-09, 06:56
Can't help with a sickness cure but one thing you must do is to try and keep your fluid levels up so you don't dehydrate. As others have recommended that should be done in sips over a period rather then lots at once. Even if only some of it stays down it will help.

edayhouse
12-Jan-09, 10:06
oh no i have been being sick since 10pm last night, my body is in agony and i feel so week....hoping it is a 24 hour bug???
off to sleep/rest now
x